Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

That's got to be some kind of horizontal diversification record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

I don't know if emptyquoting's allowed in this sub, but please consider this one nonetheless.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This just in: Canadian Tire money is now actual money.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I can’t wait to see what Kodak’s next thinking-outside-the-box venture is gonna be! Whole life insurance? Raw water? Who the gently caress knows at this point?!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

alarumklok posted:

How does this even try to solve the thing they claim it helps solve?

I was wondering that too. Maybe we shouldn’t worry about that right now—that’s just details.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

Dunning-Krugerrands

This is quality. Gonna borrow.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Photography nooblet confession of the day: Took my camera to work yesterday because I thought I might take a stroll at lunchtime and maybe take some pictures. I pulled my camera out of my bag, and the battery was dead. Made sure to charge my battery last night, and I put my camera back in my work bag to try again today. Pulled my camera out this morning and it wouldn't turn on.

The battery's at home in its charger.

:suicide:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I was in the High Arctic for my PhD fieldwork and a polar bear showed up. A colleague came into our little shack and said "There's a bear outside". Cue half-panic scramble for boots, guns, ammo, bear-bangers, and lots of yelling.

After we convinced the bear to move a bit further away, I ran back inside to grab my camera and my 500mm supertele. I got back out onto the runway while the bear was changing his mind about leaving, so I took some (quite possibly) great shots as he turned back to look at the noisy lunatics still yelling at him.

After about a dozen such shots, I noticed the little symbol that was popping up on the screen - "huh, never seen that before."
I had just finished transfering pictures onto my computer when the bear was noticed, and I didn't put the memory card back in when I grabbed the camera. :saddowns:

Oh, gently caress...

Thanks for the perspective.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

You can configure a Canon to not fire the shutter if there is no card installed.

I assume this is true for other brands but I never used 'em.

Fat lot of good that’ll do me! I need to know whether or not the battery’s in before I start shooting!

Some help you are!

:jerkbag:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Meh. I’m not even going to worry about it at this point. I’ve been doing photography since September, so I think I’m ready for an upgrade anyway:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/17/16902760/hasselblad-h6d-400c-400-megapixel-multi-shot-medium-format-camera

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

If I’m gonna pull the trigger on that thing I need to make sure it has a popup flash first. I mean, it’s so high end that is has to have one, but I’ll probably go see if Target has one on display I can handle.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

This was more true in the age of film but photography (kinda like firearms) is really an activity that benefits from developing good habits and rituals.

To this day I never put a camera in the bag without power-cycling it to check battery and card capacity status. It’s saved me more times than I care to remember.

Having goofed on the whole battery thing two days in a row, I’m starting to develop similar habits. Luckily it was a cheap lesson (as opposed to someone doing something like leaning a loaded tripod up against a vehicle, only to have it drive off).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Before it offs itself someone should get this hypothetical computer an account. I bet it could dig up some first class stuff for the Best Photographer thread.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

8th-snype posted:

it's double exposed dicks all the way down

Mods can we please get a ban on this chucklefuck for doxxing? They just posted a summary of my sex offender rap sheet.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uh, off to buy some smokes! Smell ya later!

:ninja:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

In the land of the blind, etc.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Wow! He’s gonna be getting a shitload of photo tag notifications!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I saw the picture taken by bluejacket in the middle this morning in The Economist. I really like their photos, almost every week there's at least one photo that makes me stop and just say "that's a drat good picture". I would never want to do something like that to get a photo, though. Especially for something like "Here's a very famous person" where it seems easier to just pay the independent guy for the shot and spend my (entirely hypothetical) time on more interesting and unusual efforts.

What gets me is that you're going to end up with like two score of pretty much the same loving picture. In the bigger perspective, is it really worth all that hassle? I suppose this (admittedly half-baked) question applies to photojournalism in general.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I guess my point was this Zuckerberg shot was just utilitarian workaday picture taking. It's not like these people were snapping their shots of him for personal enjoyment.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

You see how he’s looking around at the photographers there? He’s actually hoping for some flashes to go off so that he can get a quick energy bump from via photovoltaic mini-arrays.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Similar with me. Aside from the first few pictures I took, everything I give a rip about is also in Lightroom.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Plug "digital asset management" into google and try to find something better, have fun. :angel:

The municipality I work for has been looking into digitizing all of our old legacy documents and has been pricing stuff like this out. I know exactly what you mean. :homebrew:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

smugmug has a no nudity policy so I don't think any goons have anything to worry about but vast swaths of flickr's fetish folks are probably making GBS threads their collective pants.

If ever enforced on flickr there'd be a net benefit for sure.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Do GoPros have lens caps that can inadvertently be left on?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Ethical dilemma: I got notification that a couple of my photos are shortlisted for a big wildlife contest, and now I had to send in full size TIFFs for printing plus the original RAW file. Since these are big files they gave a few links to ways to share these files with them, one of which was an FTP site to use. I tried out the FTP first and it's just a single, generic user you connect with. I could see entries from about 10 other people just sitting there, with full permissions to do anything with them. Do I replace all the files with photos of birds pooping, which for some reason I have a lot of, or do I just steal their images?

Both, but replace with various pics of Big Bird instead.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Hold on. I’ll start feeding you pics from the cheerios flickr group.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Dammit. Wish they'd called me first. I've got a perfectly good Rebel I would've swapped with them. :argh:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jesus Christ, makes you wonder just how fuckoff rich that family is.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Heck yeah. Just got asked to shoot an event related to work this weekend. $50 for one hour. Seems reasonable for a hobbyist such as myself.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

I don’t just want you to report back. I need it

My thumb's gonna be over the lens in every drat shot.

e: It's just for some "salute our veterans" thingy, so I wouldn't expect too much Parks and Rec-esque insanity (but we'll see!!!).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I've actually been warned multiple times that I'm not to expose myself.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’m excited. No one has ever wanted to offer me money to take pictures before.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Ask your mom what she did when she found herself in this situation Beepleton.

iirc, she told you that you were violating the restraining order.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

It's real cool to get your first paid gig but $50 is insultingly low.

Really? For just an hour? I did some (half assed) research online, and I saw $25 to $75 an hour for amateur photographers. I was trying to be reasonable too, because I know that lowballing rates can screw things up for other photographers too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Nope. I’d planned on handling over the processed keepers. Quality-wise, I’m not even sire how things’ll turn out. I’ve never done an event like this before. Mostly it’s birds, family, and various snapshots.

Curious to hear what a more reasonable rate might be.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

$50/hr, including processing time? Maybe next time...

e: especially if I don’t royally gently caress this up.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

In some countries that’s a lot of money, okay!!!!!!?

:negative:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

torgeaux posted:

The real question for me, when offered similar "opportunities" is, am I taking a job from a photographer, and are they taking advantage of me, or just ignorant about costs?

I definitely pondered that too. The answer is no. The coworker who asked me to show up said that otherwise she'd be running around, most likely with her cellphone, trying to take snapshots while also running the event.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Wow. Dang. The SOE from Camera, Inc is pretty much dead in the water at this point. What a relic. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I heard that medium and large format for the ipad/ipad mini is coming out next year. :ssh: