Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Paragon8 posted:

Has photography as a serious hobby ruined casually looking at pictures for everyone else? I can hardly look at facebook snapshots anymore. Also, whenever a friend links me to a babe I immediately try to guess what lighting is used and how to recreate the shot.

It hasn't ruined it for me, but sometimes it does intrude in many ways. One example is that I've found myself going through some of the movies I really like and looking at such as the lighting and cinematography differently. In fact, last night I was watching Rear Window for the first time in about twenty years and I went "Oooooooooooooo, look at the colour!" Well, I didn't do the "Oooooooooooooo" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

'A photographer has a great experience.'

I love it when (sometimes) everything comes together - including the 'right place at the right time' aspect of it. You can invest time and money into what you do on an ongoing basis, but there's always some stuff you can't buy. Really, that's excellent.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I was very kindly given a Leica IIIf as a gift by the grandmother of my (then) girlfriend, along with a couple of lenses. Otherwise I don't think I'd have been inclined to own one. I enjoy using it, but mostly for the almost novelty value when compared to my SLRs. When I shoot with it I'm always aware of the fact that over the years it's seen much more than I ever will. For a strap I use a football (boot) lace, which has the bonus of annoying certain types of people.
As for camera straps generally, my other cameras all have exactly the same type - a black neoprene strap with no logo or branding, bought from Jessops in the UK.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You mean, the 'Leica glow' is just...bullshit? Oh no.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting explanation about the 'glow'. Thanks.
As I said, I like using my Leica because it's kind of quaint and charming. Then again, depending on my mood it's awkward and a pain. I just find it faintly ridiculous when BS is applied to things. But it's not limited to photography equipment - the number of times I've heard such as "a good weight for a Telecaster is under seven pounds" or similar...

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The latter should be a option from the outset - 'Disable Flakes'.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want a vest like that.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of spending your money wisely... I know this subject has been discussed before, but recently I've found a number of cameras - film cameras - seem to have been following me home. Two of them were gifts (which I appreciate) but I've bought the others. I haven't bought any of them without good reason, and do I invest time beforehand in making sure it's what I need, and then wait patiently until I believe I've found a deal.
Years ago when I was playing music I had a few cheapo guitars which I'd leave over at family/friends homes. That made sense. But is picking up a Nikon F-301 (N2000?) and a series E 50mm just so that I've always got a film camera at my parent's house the same thing? And why the hell do I need a Zorki 10?
Bollocks, it's probably not a real question. Maybe I'm just feeling guilty about spending money on myself.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A question, if you'd care to answer, please...
The cameras I regularly use for shooting spoiled, ugly, demented, mutant children and their ignorant hairy John Wayne lookalike mothers are kept ready to transport, near my front door. But I've a few other cameras - all film - along with other associated bits and pieces. Right now some are in boxes or their cases, with a few here and there around the flat. So my question to you is: where do you keep your cameras?
In a cupboard/drawer? On shelves? Got them in some sort of display cabinet or something? I'm not sure if I like the latter idea or not, as perhaps it's a bit "Admire at my cameras and make comments!"?

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, that's cats for you. Although sadly I don't have the problem anymore. :(

Maybe I should just keep my cameras in one big case or box or something. But I like being able to choose one whenever we go out somewhere - and it's easier if they're at hand.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I keep the Nikkormat in the car. Well, my girlfriend's car. And she's taken it away (the Nikkormat) and left it at her workplace. Apparently she was showing her colleagues my "really ancient film camera". I'm older than that camera. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
She's 29. My Nikkormat is from the 70s. She calls it my 'clunky' camera. Philistine.