Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Tincans posted:

Chinese salesmen send the best emails

please tell me you just ordered an adapter ring or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Tincans posted:

I'm p. cheesed off because I'm only 5000 miles away, been waiting for this packet of replacement flashgun feet for 3 weeks

china is a loving black hole for shipping sometimes dude

a while back i got a seiko watch for like $20 on eBay and waited several months for it to show up before giving up.

two and a half years later, i wake up to find a nice watch on my doorstep :)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

goddamnit why is it that every day I feel like going out and shooting it decides intermittently rain

gently caress houston

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Also, California is full of interesting people and things.

Edit: From reports I've heard, I mean.

...and Houston really isn't :(

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXRqQAlVQg&feature=related

Here is a scene from the Stanley Kubrick movie "Barry Lyndon"- notice that it's filmed entirely by candlelight, no other light source was used. Apparently he accomplished this by using a superfast custom-built Zeiss lens with an aperture of f/.75.

e: skip the first 45 seconds or so.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone have a 3ft UV filter handy?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

snowman posted:

holy crap that's ridiculous. What's it for?

it's a canon 5200mm f/14 mirror lens. no idea what it was used for bit apparently the minimum focusing distance is like 300 feet and it weighs over 200 lbs.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

noss posted:

Yeah, but it's got the Canon name on it, so it's more expensive than it should be. I think basically it's a telescope with a camera mount on it.

IIRC some forums said it cost like $27,000, which is just a fraction of what their modern EF 1200mm lens costs (I think B&H had one for like $120,000 a few months ago)

e: lol nobody has bought it yet

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800622963-USE/Canon_2527A001_Super_Telephoto_1200mm_f_5_6L.html

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

unixbeard posted:

Hey why don't you just do this initial work for free, I'm sure it will lead to big things.

Exactly- for some people starting out, getting some real experience is much more important than getting a paycheck.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I don't know why anyone would buy that in this day and age, don't they have SLR adapters for telescopes now?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

psylent posted:

imagine three photographer on a cliff. crop sensor works the same way...

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=349

what the gently caress is this

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

proper dog placement is a fundamental component of photography.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

its never funny

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Interrupting Moss posted:

Additionally

Like being able to control focus and DOF
or see your composition in daylight
or not kill your night vision
or have significant battery life

Why wouldn't you be able to control DOF on a E-P1 or other Micro 4/3 camera? They use the same sensors as normal 4/3 cameras which are perfectly able to achieve a shallow DOF.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Leyendecker posted:

Everyone should read the entire "Everything New Sucks" just since it's the single greatest Dorkroom troll we'll ever experience but the digital camera section was too good not to highlight:

:bahgawd: Gerddamn digital cameras not takin the pictures when I tell em to and forgetting the memory card. Gerddamn menus too complicated THE NINETEEN EIGHTIES i tell ya

No its a stupid loving article and a weak troll attempt since every one of his arguments against digital could also be applied to film cameras

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mannequin posted:

This is insane and awesome!

It's a whole collection of old photos taken while put back into the scene, if that makes sense. Check it out.

I think my favorite is this one:

That's pretty amazing. Wouldn't you have to know exactly where the original photographer was standing, in order to get the perspective just right?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

HPL posted:

Must be a Republican photographer, being a fan of small government and all.

heh

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

and the award for best shutter name goes to

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So I think I need to start carrying a step ladder with me or get platform shoes because I am just too short. I'm at 5'4" and the people I photograph who are taller than me I catch a weird lower angle. I'm not quite eye level, when I happen to get to a taller vantage, I think the photo comes out better.

look at the bright side, you have a distinct advantage in the little people-wrestling-photography market

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

Do those Nokia phones have actual shutters or do they use the same like, line rendering sensors that other phones use?

Not sure about the newer models, but I definitely hear a little shutter clicking inside my n73.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

BUT MY SHALLOW DOF :negative:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Can someone explain to me how exactly fixed aperture zoom lenses work? It boggles the mind.

Like, it seems that logically if a lens has a max aperture X at its longest focal length, then the max aperture at any shorter focal length should be greater than X. But obviously that's not the case.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 26, 2010

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

spf3million posted:

I've always wondered why they didn't make one of the 2.8 zooms faster at the wide end. Ok, maybe they'd be less sharp, but if you stopped down would it correct this while still having the option of shooting at wider apertures when needed?

Yeah, this is basically what my question boils down to.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Ringo R posted:

what's the total effective focal length for this setup? IIRC the E-10 uses a pretty tiny sensor so it seems like it must be really long.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What exactly is wrong with Sony? I played with an a700 at the mall once and it seemed like a solid camera. Plus aren't they compatable with a ton of nice Minolta lenses?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Cross_ posted:

I think you blew the highlights when photographing that Tie Fighter.

if i had a nickel for every time i've heard that line

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

This reminded me of the cell phone photography thread.

http://gawker.com/5526004/how-a-guy-using-his-cell-phones-stopwatch-became-the-mountain-lake-park-lurker

To be fair, he drives a PT Cruiser

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

spog posted:

I agree with this.

After all, fun though you guys are, if we dont get fresh blood, we'll end up like one of SA's weird sub-forums.

Or worse, like a typical photography forum.

spog wtf does your avatar mean ive been wondering for years

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I love ancient color photos. My favorite has to be this guy, taken in 1911

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

:)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

torgeaux posted:

My "Canon PowerShot SD4000IS 10 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Zoom and f/2.0 Lens (Black)" is set for delivery today. Which means I'll get home, have a "we tried to deliver" note, sign the form, and they'll deliver it tomorrow.

Still, pretty psyched to have a good P&S again. The wife never ever takes pictures because she hates using the big camera.

I was looking at that earlier- it's pretty cool that Canon is making point and shoots with fast lenses again, I really hope this becomes a trend.

My ancient Sony Mavica had an f/1.8 lens, I always wondered why they couldn't pack similar lenses into modern point and shoots.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

McMadCow posted:

I assume it has something to do with the ancient sensors being about the size of a frame of 8mm movie film.

Eh you're right, the sensor was only 1/4"

nonanone posted:

I'm getting a G11 and I'm more psyched than when I got my 5D. I think it's because it means mobility and fun, whereas the 5D represents seriousness and hard work, haha.

It's really surprising how much mobility comes into play, even when you get serious about photography. I was super psyched when I got my Mamiya 645, but I quickly found myself reverting to TLR's when I realized how huge and heavy it was (especially with the motor drive attached). Sure, the IQ was fantastic, but I couldn't justify using such a massive camera on a regular basis.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

goddamn does keh use apple II's for its servers or what

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Coldfire posted:

You know you've been on the internet too long when all you can see is the goatman in this picture.
(From Gittoes while looking for new tripods)

giotse

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

oncearoundaltair posted:

A question, if you'd care to answer, please...
The cameras I regularly use for shooting spoiled, ugly, demented, mutant children and their ignorant hairy John Wayne lookalike mothers are kept ready to transport, near my front door. But I've a few other cameras - all film - along with other associated bits and pieces. Right now some are in boxes or their cases, with a few here and there around the flat. So my question to you is: where do you keep your cameras?
In a cupboard/drawer? On shelves? Got them in some sort of display cabinet or something? I'm not sure if I like the latter idea or not, as perhaps it's a bit "Admire at my cameras and make comments!"?

All my stuff is on my desk, kept together in a big pelican case. Otherwise, my rear end in a top hat cat will invariably decide to play hockey with my lenses and knock them to the floor :(

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

goddamn I can't wait to get my iPhone 4 this weekend. I doubt I'll ever bother carrying around my Canon P&S again, from what I've seen.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I couldn't tell what kind of camera that was, but don't the prosumer and up bodies have some level of basic splashproofing? Not even waterproofing, but maybe it was enough to keep the water from sloshing in and around the card area too badly.

I'd be willing to bet that the card was OK.

Unless it took some water while writing or something, then bye bye birdie.

IIRC weatherproofing setups require a filter to be on the lens to work, which he probably didn't have on seeing how it's a wedding. So if nothing else the lenses were probably ruined.

I'm also not sure that weatherproofed cameras are ok to be completely submerged like that, even for a short period of time.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

pwn posted:

Saw this on a friend's Facebook today. Jamie Livingston shot a photo a day for 18 years until he died. Nearly every day from 1979 to 1997, chronicled via Polaroid.

http://photooftheday.hughcrawford.com/

drat that's raw as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Helmacron posted:

I just bought an auto-focus lens for my D3s because I felt silly having all these focus points and never ever ever ever being able to do anything with them and oh god it's good i'm a little weak at the knees. It's only a 28m F/2.8.

I'm never going to buy another big lens again, though. Only little primes for me. Unless I change my mind, and I'll have to hunt down this post and delete it so I don't look wishy-washy.

Wait, I'm so confused. You bought a $5000 body before buying a single AF lens? And isn't the 28mm 2.8 like one of the smallest lenses out there?