Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

Speaking of DigitalRev, I accidentally landed at their online shop. Are they trustworthy? Googling I read poo poo about import taxes due to them sending from Hongkong?
I've purchased three lenses and my 7D from them and am days away from buying my first L lens through them. They have great customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Helmacron posted:

I just stared longingly at the smokin' great grandmas.
... me too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

They cracked the code :(

Now what am I going to do for upskirts :(
We've got you covered

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

Finally realized I'd been shooting Av, and hadn't changed my ISO, so I was shooting 200mm at 1/50th. Dumbass.
I somehow flicked it to B during a wedding ceremony the other day :woop:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I shoot with a 7D, I played with a 5DMkII for a few minutes a while back and it just felt right. Ever since I've been acutely aware of the crop factor :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
My wife and I don't really want kids yet, but those photos are awesome.

On the other hand, I just got my Canon lens cup. I don't drink coffee, and I prefer to drink out of glass so I think I'm going to plant a cactus in it and keep it on my desk at work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Greybone posted:

Cup
My heart jumped in my chest until I saw the spoiler and I OWN one of those cups!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
My nanna is 82, has a digital camera and uses Picasa to import and then email photos to everyone she knows.

About once a week the whole family will get 67 photos of her dog, her living room, her backyard and my grandfather dozing on the couch. :thumbsup:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Hooray! I was asked to shoot a xmas party/boat cruise. They wanted me to shoot for about 6 hours and then join in the party, and they wanted to pay me $1200.

Then the company's CEO got a $9500 bill for overseas phone/data usage because he just had to play with his new iPad while travelling and has decided that they don't really need a photographer for their party :argh:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I liked going to see bands and collecting my tickets, then I started seeing bands where all I'd get was a stamp on the wrist. Purchased a Konica Z10 in 2004, shot with it for about 18 months before upgrading to a Canon 350D. At first all I knew how to do was take photos of bands, for anything outside of that I was pretty much on auto. In the last couple of years I've done a lot of reading and experimenting, but I've still got an absolute shitload to learn.

The more I learn, the more I realise I suck :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

ZoCrowes posted:

Hahaha what can I say she is usually willing to let me take photos of her and be patient with me while I am figuring out what the hell I am doing. I need to find some new models.
Not to be creepy here (I'm a very happily married man), but I don't think you do. You like taking her photo, she seems to like posing for you and we all appreciate the photos when they're posted :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I don't think you understand, all you need to do is lend them your camera and they'll be able to take awesome photos with it. Sheesh, why are you being such a jerk about it.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Took my camera along to the office xmas party (there's around 50-60 of us), consumed a lot of booze and took photos during the night. Shared photos with the office on Monday.

Got an email from one of the department managers "Mate, not criticism, just a minor comment to consider. X, X and X are not in any of these photos but the bartender working for the bowling place has 4 photos…"

Now let's get one thing straight, I took photos of the round of shots the bartender was pouring for us - as you can see in the picture below, the subject of the photo is obviously the alcohol - not the bartender.

Additionally I wasn't being paid to cover the event and there was no law stopping anyone else bringing a bloody camera!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

quote:

Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2010 8:28 AM
To: Dept Manager
Subject: RE: Xmas Party Photos
I shot the people I hung around and what I was doing – and we did quite a few shots. It’s not really up to me to get photos of everyone, anyone else could have brought a camera with them – I know Sharon did.

Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2010 9:03 AM
To: Me

I know mate but u R the 1 doing it so well and consistently so I thought I'd ask nicely anyway :)

Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2010 9:06 AM
To: Dept Manager
Thanks. When COMPANY starts paying me for photography then I’ll start offering complete coverage of all company events :)

Cheers

The :) makes it less bitter. And what the gently caress is is with a manager writing like a 14 year old girl on a phone?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Fists Up posted:

There are some very senior people in some very wealthy organisations who literally cannot turn on a computer.
I work for an IT outsourcer. This guy is an SQL/Sharepoint developer :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

No, you still sound like an rear end in a top hat. I mean, you're totally justified, but office politics isn't usually a game you want to gently caress around with. I'm telling you, I've used the "they came out bad" excuse before and people are always understanding. Then you look like you try to maintain the integrity of your work, which anyone can sympathize with, rather than just not giving a poo poo because you're not getting paid.
Actually, he sounds like as rear end in a top hat. I really should have asked to see the photos his guys took of me on the night. I wasn't working and it wasn't my job to ensure no one felt left out, I was drinking and messing around with my friends. I was under no obligation to take any photos at all. I had another guy who I've spoken to maybe four times in two years complain that I only got one photo of him bowling. gently caress's sake. If they're that desperate to have me take their photo they would have been more than welcome to ask me at any point during the night and I would have happily obliged.

gently caress office politics.

psylent fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 17, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This is how I roll :whatup:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Yeah that's the real one. I picked it up from the rental place and needed somewhere to put it while loading poo poo into my car.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Fujifilm Instax 200 - $100 on ebay.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I :google:'d Hot Shoe Diaries and it looks like it's actually online

ebook

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
When I can get a colour e-ink device for under $200 I'll buy one. Until then, I'm holding out.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

I understand the impulse, but I read constantly, and none of the books I read have color illustrations.
I do all of my reading on my phone at the moment, and all of that is just plain text. The reason I want a colour ebook reader is mostly for manuals/instructional books.

Actually the device I really want would be a tablet PC/iPad thingy with an e-ink layer over the display.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Be that as it may. I still feel like I've been punched in the gut :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

guidoanselmi posted:

So I'm very seriously contemplating going to Japan in March.

Anyone have any experiences camera shopping in Shinjuku in Tokyo? I'm looking to just take my digital and a bunch of film only to buy a rangefinder the first day there. :cool:
My wife and I are going to Japan in March as well, we'll be there from the 24th-29th :) Mind if I hit you up?

Although as it's our first holiday together in over a year I don't know how keen the wife will be on me meeting up with photography buddies during our short trip...

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

Someone posted a comment on one of the DigitalRev youtubes saying it's the Top Gear of photography. I'm inclined to agree with them.
Ha! I was just watching that last video and thinking that exactly. I think he's modelling his presenting style on Clarkson as well.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

A woman shot my wedding, and she had a woman for an assistant too.

Watch my anecdotes conclusively dismantle stereotypes! :colbert:
I shoot the occasional wedding and have met up with wedding photographers at networking events. I've been told by a couple of female wedding photographers that they won't work with male photographers. :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

What's the thinking behind that?
I didn't press them on the issue, I assumed girl power/empowering women in business type deal. Out of the 20 or so "wedding professionals" at this mixer, I was the only guy.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Good news! New guy at work is a keen photographer, shoots with a 5D Mk II and wants to go out on shoots with me.

Bad news! He showed me his flickr stream and it's full of garish HDR and selective colour bullshit.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Can you tell how far down the HDR path he's gone? Is he an old school guy who used to shoot good stuff, then started tone mapping to see what the hubbub is? I've run into a couple of people like that. All it takes is time and they go back to making good stuff.
Nah, he talks about HDR with a mad glint in his eye. He thinks it looks "awesome" and "loves how much the colours pop".

To be totally fair, he does have some nice stuff, but his love for HDR scared me a little.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Host it yourself of use gmail. I have to use Hotmail occasionally to test stuff and it's like stepping back in time a decade or so.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm going to Japan in late March, I have no need for an X100 but maaaaaaan do I want one. I'm putting any cash I earn from photography aside to pay for a 5D MK 2 and I'm at the $1000 mark right now. That cash could easily disappear.

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 10, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

A5H posted:

i sold my first 2 photographs today guys :unsmith:
:respek:

It's a good feeling.

After a very quiet start to the year I've had a bunch of enquiries and have booked two weddings for September. Yeeha!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm doing a photography course at the moment to try and become more well rounded, this week we're doing still life and I am finding it to be boring as poo poo. I'm forcing myself to shoot a couple of things a day and I'm going to attempt to recreate a couple of "classics" to try and get my head around it, but in general I just find it dull and lifeless (hurr).

I don't see a lot of still life in the Dork Room, is anyone into it?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

poopinmymouth posted:

Brad has done some kickass stuff. The key to getting a lot out of "boring" homework assignments is to find the part you like about them. If the arranging and styling of it is boring, try focusing on lighting, or post work. Try to see if there is items you would have fun with.
Ooh yeah, I loved Brad's stuff! Completely forgot about that, I'm going to stalk through his flickr stream.

I do find the arranging and styling part pretty boring but I do like playing with lights, so that's what I'll do.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Can a radiographer fake it as a fashion photographer?

Just found this and am watching it now.

edit: Jesus, how many people would absolutely kill for this kind of opportunity?

edit II: this may be Australia only, apologies if this is the case.

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 12, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Was this the inspiration for your frog dissection Brad? Voorhees stuff is awesome.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This is awesome

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

mrlego posted:

I was just looking at this interesting project. Apologies if it has already been posted somewhere:

I linked it on the last page, but you put more effort in. They did such a good job matching the clothing/processing.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The X100 is now available in Australia at the semi-reasonable price of AUD$1219

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod7248.htm

So loving tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What the christ, ¥128,000 is AUD$1540. These guys are selling it for $1219 :mad:

edit: holy poo poo. I kind of want this thing a LOT.

psylent fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 3, 2011