Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
"Photography with reckless abandon" That's about the only way I can describe her. The PBS documentary Life Through A Lens covered it really well. When the cost and complexity of her photo shoots started to rival movie shoots, she just kept going like she was addicted to it.

Having to put up her life's work as collateral for all that poo poo catching up with her? I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Andrew W.K.'s "Party Hard" goes really well with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

psylent posted:

Holy poo poo the video on the 7D looks absolutely stunning. I can't wait to upgrade:
http://vimeo.com/6759220
Nikon is :colbert: "pish-posh, we don't need to do video with an SLR."

..while Canon is all :smug: "we won't need to make camcorders anymore because of our SLRs."

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
David Attenborough calls this scene "one of the most complex ever attempted in natural history filmmaking":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCyoqaM_4sM

From Wikipedia, "BBC Life":

quote:

The biggest filming challenge was to show a year in the life of an oak woodland using timelapse photography. After capturing real-world footage of a Devon wood, the crew rebuilt the entire scene in a studio in Exeter and digitally superimposed 96 separate layers of footage to create the final one-minute sequence. The whole project took two years.

I spotted a D200, a D2x, and some kind of manual-focus lens in there.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
How to take better low-light photos (nytimes.com)

This was a fairly straightforward article, until I got here:

quote:

I never do any [post-production] manipulation because most of my career was spent using film. If I manipulated the photos, I would feel that everything I did was fake. I might take a scratch out but I don’t adjust lighting — that’s creating something that wasn’t there. When photographers start doing that, it can’t be called artwork.
People still think this way? What the hell?

If someone would have said that to me in person, I would have to bite my lip to keep from rattling off a list of questions:
  • Do you shoot RAW or JPG? Either way, that's a trick question.. If you shoot RAW, and you're not developing the image further, you are missing out on an 1-2 extra stops of highlight/shadow information that the sensor captured. If you're shooting JPG, well then you're not only 'chopping off' that extra highlight & shadow information, but you're telling your camera to do the very things that you're claiming you're not doing to your image!
  • Why do you choose one model of camera over another? That very selection process affects image quality.
  • Why do you choose one lens over another? Are you aware of what all of the glass elements are doing to the image? (correcting for vignetting, chromatic aberration and so forth)
  • (cross-medium question) If the adjustment of tonal values results in the creation of a "fake" photograph, how do you react to other media that consist of NOTHING BUT the artist's adjustment of tonal values (i.e. painting)?
And it wouldn't matter if the guy still shot film, the questions would follow the same basic structure:
  • When making a print with the enlarger, do you set the light to full power for a few seconds, or drop the intensity and leave it on longer?
  • Do you adjust perspective problems by tilting your enlarger?
  • Are there filters in your enlarger?
  • Are there any light-colored or reflective objects near your enlarger?
  • What brand of paper do you use?
  • What brand of developer? At what concentration? At what temperature?
  • What is the ambient temperature of your darkroom?
  • How many prints do you run before changing out your developer?
  • What brand of stop bath and fixer do you use? At what temperature and concentration?
  • Do you tone your prints with selenium? Why or why not?
The fun would never stop!

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

torgeaux posted:

You should have then quoted this bit:
Seems like he was willing to "adjust lighting" in film, but not digital.
bwahahaha! holy poo poo.

This is easier than debunking claims from a political talk show.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Interrupting Moss posted:

(review of Epperson Photo in OKC)
That's where I bought my Tokina 12-24 back in 2006, and not only did it not have any tape on it, but it's still my primary lens.

And about the same time (July 2006), I also placed an order with them for the Nikon 18-200. They said it was on backorder, and it would take a couple months to get because they had a waiting list 30-people long. I explained my side of things and said I was looking forward to using it on a road trip coming up in three weeks. My sales rep mentioned that if I paid for it in advance, I would be moved to the front of the list. I was intending to purchase it then anyway, so that wasn't a problem. I got the lens three days later.

I also used the same sales rep for every purchase, and I got little discounts on everything. It wasn't nearly enough to keep me from eventually migrating online, but we had a friendly rapport going for a while. (I still have the Nikon lapel pin and Nikon playing cards I got free with my orders.)

Over the next couple years, little thing started to add up. I wanted to see how their printing service was, and they didn't even know what ICC profiles were. And the last few times I went in there, my sales rep was always "on vacation".

Their death-knell for me was when I called them looking for another set of Cokin GND filters, to replace the ones I left at a photoshoot the week previous. The last time I was in there, they had a complete set of Cokin stuff on a spinning display, but now they said it would take a couple months to get anything. Their first excuse was that these filters were really inexpensive, and they needed to accumulate $4,000 worth of customer orders before they would buy anything from their supplier. I told them I didn't have a couple months and tried the whole pay-in-advance trick, but they didn't budge. They then switched to a limp-wristed excuse that Cokin was pulling them off the market because software like Photoshop and Lightroom was making these filters obsolete (which is utter horseshit on both points). I placed an order at Amazon as I was hanging up the phone.

I'm sorry to hear that you had so many bad experiences from the get-go, but I agree they're dying just like old computer stores. Desperate, yet apathetic folks surrounded by a sea of generation-old items still marked at MSRP covered in a thin layer of dust -- the place isn't alive anymore. It's worse that they're in such a shady part of town. (I swear that neighborhood has been covered by that guy who videotapes prostitutes.)

2/5 and slipping ..which is the same rating they have on Google Maps.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
In response to a recent pro-photography protest in Trafalgar Square, the UK government is trying to play nice with photographers:

quote:

The UK Policing and Crime Minister has reasserted that anti-terrorism should not be used to stop photographers and photojournalists. In a meeting with a Parliamentary photography group and journalists, David Hanson MP said the Sections 44 and 58A of the 2000 Terrorist Act should not be 'used to stop ordinary people taking photos or to curtail legitimate journalistic activity'. He also said guidance to that effect has been provided to the UK police forces, advising that these powers should not be used to stop innocent members of the public, tourists and journalists.

(more at DPReview)

Well, that makes it all better, doesn't it!

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

notlodar posted:

Apparently Lightroom 3 Beta 2 has a fully functional point curve :hellyeah:
loving. FINALLY. No more switching back and forth between Lightroom and Camera Raw!

Now if only we could use curves (and everything else for that matter) with an adjustment brush, then it would be a solid upgrade.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Rated PG-34 posted:

This is a pretty cool use of HDR:

http://www.photographybay.com/2011/03/19/red-hdrx-gets-the-impossible-shot/
That can't be HDR.. there's no blooming, no grungy details, and no clownpuke colors. Where's my clownpuke, dammit?! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Totally off-topic, but I'm looking for a photo of an art store/gallery that's so overstuffed with artwork that you can't see the walls. I think somebody posted it here, but I don't have much to go on because I don't remember where it was taken. Somewhere on the east coast, Atlantic City, Virginia Beach?