Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I still think my K10d was one of my favourite cameras, but I didn't trust the future of Pentax :(

Plus the appeal of "wow I can get a ton of old lenses for cheap??" wore off pretty quickly when I realized they were pretty cheap for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just noticed a flood of Nikon 35 1.8s hitting craigslist here after not seeing a single one for like months on end. Thinking about picking one up, but I'll probably just get a 50 D instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are they the same guys who did Battle at F-Stop Ridge?

edit: A quick google says no. My bad!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spog posted:

Why not sell the expensive body and lenses and buy a much cheaper m4/3 system?

You'll get back a big lump of cash (I assume) and the new body+couple of lenses will be perfectly capable of taking excellent, non-sports photos.

Some people find that the easy and spontaneity of a smaller body to make for more enjoyable shooting

I'll go one extra. Why not sell your digital gear and go film? I found there was a lot less pressure on me to take LOTS of photos when I was film-bound, and when I did take pictures I found that the limitation subconciously made me think about them a little longer rather than just hitting *snap* and filling an 8GB card to capacity. I know it's cliché, but I actually believe that's how it works.

I did mostly street shooting with film and I found that the smaller size of the Pentax ME made me feel less self-concious about invading people's space. That's just me though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No advice, just fun stuff for Dorkroom Discussion: I wish they'd powdered her face down a little before shooting that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There is nothing quite so endearing as when a friend of yours first discovers photography. It's like I'm excited about photography again, vicariously through her :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nah, she's got it under control.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spog posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/9261983/Camera-sells-for-record-1.7-million.html

A Leica just sold for 2.16 million euros

No details on whether that price included a lens cloth, a spare battery and a table-top tripod.

So just slightly more expensive than your average Leica then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I basically stopped reading Dorkroom once SAD went away. Wah wah :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's my bit of advice. If you own a camera you're happy with, and someone gives you the chance to handle a Fuji X100 I say walk the gently caress away because you will be lusting after one within minutes.

So uh, anyone want to buy $1400 worth of sperm?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just bought a film rangefinder to hold me over until I find $1400 in a winter coat pocket I forgot I had.

My main gripe with the DSLR is that it's huge as gently caress. You don't notice that until you use a smaller camera.

Part of it is that I have a giant 24-70 2.8 on there. If I replaced it with a 50 1.8 and got rid of my battery grip I'd lose like half the weight/bulk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My first guess was a Bronica.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

whereismyshoe posted:

is it weird that i really love huge, unwieldy gear

I love it too.

And then I have to carry it around.

Shortly after which, I lust after a small rangefinder or P&S.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need some manner of shock collar that goes off whenever I load my local craigslist photography section.

Such a filthy habit. Browsing for cameras I don't need.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's…………….. true :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

From experience doing one of these photo-pass-around things, buy the smallest camera you can find and use that. Anything else will get stuck somewhere when someone decides they don't want to pay $20 to ship it out somewhere.

Like a value-village 80s point and shoot.

The fun is still there, but the camera is much more disposable and much more mailable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9NWeMkBN_A

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I mean he's trolling, but it was still funny :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Clayton give me your M3. Or sell it to me I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's the perfect lomo film. Crappy and expensive. It will probably outsell everything else if marketed at the right demographic.

(judging by the photos, the demographic is people with old timey twirled moustaches and top hats)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I used to be the backup admin at my last job and I can confirm that tape backups are the least efficient, most pain in the rear end things.

The worst is backup guys who have no idea what they're doing. Ask me about trying to restore a mission critical server at 3am while tar is asking for the next tape in the set when the backup guy only gives you one cartridge.

"What? No, there's only one tape. Your stuff is on there!"

We got a new backup guy two days later and implemented a sane backup solution.

Of course that was like number 8 on a list of 99 things wrong with the place I worked, but whatever -- it was a paycheck.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pseudonordic posted:

It works like a cassette, you just needed to flip it over to side 2. :haw:

If you restore the tape backwards you get the launch codes for the Soviet nuclear arsenal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It is 100% an afterthought because nobody wants to sink (hundreds of) thousands of dollars into the proper equipment and infrastructure.

How many times a day do you think some manager at a fortune 500 company says "How much?! But I can buy a 2TB external drive at best buy for a hundred bucks!"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Then the CTO literally tells him to go gently caress himself.

If you're lucky the CTO even gets to make the final decision!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I was so down on mirrorless cameras until I held a NEX-5N in the store. That thing is dead sexy. Tiny AND APS-C? Easily adapted to fit other lenses? Focus peaking? I think I know what my next digital camera will be.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beastruction posted:

I'm thinking about selling mine, turns out I find it more convenient to carry a DSLR everywhere than wait 3 seconds for the NEX to turn on.

Do you mean 3 seconds after you flip the on switch, or does it take 3 seconds to wake from powersaving sleep mode? :(

At any rate, I'm seeing them to go for like 350 on craigslist here (body only) and throwing an M39 adapter on or F-mount adapter presents some pretty awesome opportunities with focus peaking enabled.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'm actually surprised what a 5N body goes for these days. I mean it's really capable for the price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The price varies. 350 is just the lowest I've seen for body only. They're mostly sold with the kit lens which drives up the price for a lens I probably won't ever want to use.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh thanks for the thought, but I'm pretty broke at the moment. I also switched to film primarily for now, this is more of a "in a year when I rethink digital" plan ;)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you want to feel humbled, go look up some lovely camera on Flickr and be amazed by the amazing photos that people using even the first generation digital cameras took. It's all about the photographer. The reality is that I will likely never actually need more camera than my D200 can provide, which is why I've decided to just keep it instead of playing the forever-upgrading game.

If I do anything, I will probably get a mirrorless to supplement it, like a NEX-5N.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I cringed so hard when he was holding it in the crook of his arm while loading the film.

So hard.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Santa is strapped posted:

What made me cringe was the way he just slammed the back back onto the body. I handle all my cameras like they're made of 1mm sheet of glasss. Sheesh

I thought he was going to put a corner of the magazine through the back shutter of the body :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Make the priest/officiant wear a gopro on a headband, end of story.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey if you want to be lumped into the "scumbag creep perv" category for taking a camera outside, Toronto will probably soon be the place for YOU, judging by how much press this is getting:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/09/toronto-women-in-creepshots

(e: I'm not defending photographers being extra creepy, but rather getting anxious at the public suspicion that this will probably trigger)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 11, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I assume he means sensor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ4xG0urqYU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It sucks that Nikon isn't accepting film submissions anymore, but it's super funny to read all the foaming at the mouth on film camera forums from people who didn't even know this contest existed yesterday :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is a pretty neat idea, but I much prefer the ones that don't really rely on any after-the-fact doctoring to be awesome. Also a bunch of these are hamfisted when they could have been really subtly done.

http://fstoppers.com/actors-pose-as-some-of-their-most-famous-characters

So I guess great idea, good execution on some, "meh" execution on others.