Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spf3million posted:

You first
Some spergin' douche with more money than common sense had a dozen or so "torture test" videos on Youtube of him mashing a D3, dropping it, drowning it, nuking it, etc.

Of course he had comments/ratings disabled and eventually removed said videos. Too many people telling him he was a moron probably. I can't find his channel anymore. I think he's deaf, he often says "hii" or "byye" at the start/end of his videos (the only times he speaks) and has a huge list of "rules" for making comments on his videos.

But I did find this just now, and uh... :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VVSub_Cwh8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

MIT students send a hacked Powershot into (near) space for $148

They sent it up with a weather balloon. It took 40 minutes once the balloon burst to reach Earth.

pwn
May 27, 2004

the Image Fulgurator is cool, especially the Checkpoint Charlie experiment video. I also like how it sounds like something Calvin invented.

Ken Rockwell posted a user-submitted randomizer script that pulls a random index page off his site every time you click it. First time I tried it I got this gem.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/0-new-AIS-lens.htm

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tigertron posted:

I have to admit this looks rather ridiculous.

Reminds me of the old Sega Genesis/CD/32x tower.

I need to dig mine out of storage and shoot it someday, nobody has a good picture of it online.

pwn
May 27, 2004

quote:

Of the 400 photos taken on the day the newlyweds were happy with only 22.
Are the photos in the article among the 22, or are they from the whole shoot?

pwn
May 27, 2004

That... that wedding video... :psypop:

Did you WATCH that wedding video? Christ.

pwn
May 27, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

that whole "wrapped in blanket of money" thing is for serious. It probably doesn't look anywhere close to a dslr with all those gizmos attached.

quote:

Lenses were the Canon 50mm f1.2L, 35mm f1.4L and the 70-200mm f4L IS. I attached my Zacuto Z-finder straight to the camera, then added a prototype of the new Genus d-slr bars supporting their wide angle mattebox to prevent any excess lens flare. I shot mostly handheld using a small Redrockmicro shoulder rig at times as well as on my fantastic Miller DS-20 tripod. Audio was from a Zoom H4n feeding the camera audio directly using a custom cable from Pinknoise systems (living with AGC to speed time in the edit).
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :suicide:

It sure would be nice to have all those nice things.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I had to send three of them back until I got a good one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Nikon has a current model in each class except pro full frame with 24p video. :smug:

On that note, when is Canon making a mid-level with video? As of right now you either have a Rebel or a 5/7D with nothing in-between. Although I guess the 7D is a de facto mid-level, so yeah. I wish I could find a rhyme or reason to model naming schema. Nikon hopping around between lower-end DXX to DXXXX, Canon stopping at 50D and going to late XD. I guess the next Nikon mid-level will be upper DXXXX? :confused:

I know this happened back in the film era too, with a lot of goofy Nikon model numbers in the 80s like N2020 and whatnot. Is there some overall pattern I'm missing or are they just making poo poo up as they go along.

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 13, 2009

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watched some of Moulin Rouge for the first time in a while last night, god drat they knocked themselves out on that picture.

Apocalypse Now is a brilliant exercise in lighting. Every other frame is out of a graphic novel.

pwn
May 27, 2004

IS THE ONION A GOON?? :w00t:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/17_year_old_thinks_shes

quote:

17-Year-Old Thinks She's Getting Into Photography

June 8, 2009 | Issue 45•24

EUGENE, OR—After wasting an afternoon taking pictures of a broken tricycle, moss on trees, and the shadow of a wrought-iron fence, Churchill Alternative High School senior Jessica Ivers falsely informed family and friends Saturday that she was getting into photography. "I love the way real film looks," said Ivers, who has owned the old single-lens reflex 35 millimeter camera for exactly one week, and named as her favorite photographers "probably Diane Arbus" and the French guy who took the picture of the boy with the wine bottle. "I'm really fascinated by textures, and I think I'll be able to get some good shots of my grandma's hands this weekend." Sources close to Ivers expect the camera to join her clarinet and yoga mat under her bed once she pays $14.85 to develop the roll of clumsy, overexposed images.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

lmbo a Sigma 12-24 is more flexible, less cumbersome, faster, wider, cheaper by several orders of magnitude, has autofocus, and is still rectilinear.

Ken :negative:

quote:

Recommendations

While not professional grade, Sigma makes a 12-24mm zoom that's worth a look. It covers FX. I've tried this 12-24mm now and then, and if you get a good sample, it works very well and does about the same thing as the Nikon 13mm.
Pompous :negative:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Whenever I'm at a friend's house and I find one of my pictures looking me in the face, I too get a bit :shobon:.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This is a good feeling, agreedo :)

FB does tend to murder photo quality with some brutal jpegging, I guess with so many million pics they need to save on storage.
Resize! Compress! OVERSHARPEN!

Facebook: Sharp photos are good, sharpening is good; therefore, slamming Sharpen up to 11 must be GREAT

pwn fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 29, 2009

pwn
May 27, 2004

I've been doing TV work for years before getting into photography. Only very recently have I even started to grasp the basic notion of film cinematography, though, coming from a TV background. Everything I've ever shot is shot like a TV talk/music show, which is great for TV talk/music shows and not so great for everything else.

Leatherheads has some damned fantastic work as a straightforward picture, and The Fountain is a great example of creative lighting, very similar in function to that of Apocalypse Now's cinematography. I want to be a DP when I grow up.

But seriously, you talk about poaching ideas, The Fountain is crazy. I was watching some of the supplemental features yesterday morning, it's amazing the ways the DP dreamed up to tell this story. For that matter the documentaries on the disc are unlike 95% of the tripe on the typical DVD which is "it was so much fun shooting with actor" :suicide:

pwn
May 27, 2004

I watched an episode of Dirty Jobs a week or so ago. I realized that the show was showing very little of the actual job, and spent most of the time on stupid crap like Mike Rowe making jokes about how awful the Poors must have been who had lived in the trailer home was that they were demolishing. The second job on the episode was making mannequins, again they spent probably 80% of screen time with HURF TEH DURF :buddy: BOOBIES jokes and general titillation, showing the bare minimum of boring poo poo like how they make mannequins.

I figured it was likely that a lot of times, these people agree to be followed and filmed but at the same time don't want any more of their trade secrets opened up for all the world to see than is absolutely necessary. Cable channels are poo poo posturing as art and only care about keeping as many eyeballs glued to the sets long enough to see the commercial breaks; they have no more interest in going in-depth about the subject than the subjects. The show is built around the superficial ephemera and HUMAN DRAMA rather than its supposed goal. Both parties are happy, and viewers can feel like they're watching educational programming while never learning anything more than if they stood around when a contractor comes over, watching them work.

I really see no reason to believe that this Bravo show will break that mold. Now if it was on PBS...

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 13, 2009

pwn
May 27, 2004

The concept had gobs of potential, but it was so poorly acted. Shame.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I have some spare google wave invites if any one would like them ... I feel more like giving to a dorkroom goon than one of the beggers in GBS.
I just missed one from a friend because I'm hardly online anymore, so if you'd be so kind :shobon: gecafe@gmail.com

pwn
May 27, 2004

Which leads to another question - where the gently caress do paparazzi photographers congregate on the internet? Is there even such a thing as a "paparazzi proper" or is it just some name for bottom-feeders who grab and sell whatever they can?

I just think it'd be fun to read a photo forum community by paparazzi.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Obligatory link to "Pay the Writer"
When he whines about how the boom operator gets paid, he glosses over that they don't get paid every time someone buys the DVD. They do the work once and get paid once. It's pretty hilarious how people in the arts think one instance of their work should be paid for over and over and over again into perpetuity.

Dorkroom: Do you think you're entitled to be paid every time someone makes money off your work? If so, why? Sub-question: Would you find it fair to send the maker of your camera a portion of the profits every time you make money with it?

pwn
May 27, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

Yes, yes you are, unless you grant someone an unlimited license, in which case they are paying more in order to not have to pay each time (this is what you are doing with you camera, in a sense, especially when you pay more for a unit designed to be used by working professionals. But that's a stupid comparison because service/creative work and manufacturing of objects are totally different and unrelated markets). But the way that the creative market works is that you get paid with consideration to how much money the client is going to make from your work. If it's worth a lot to them, then they should pay you an amount that reflects this importance.
That makes sense. I think his blustering fury triggered a "gently caress you you self-important prick" thing in my brain.

pwn
May 27, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

This is stupid, as are you for thinking it's a good comparison.
Thank you for calling me stupid.

pwn
May 27, 2004

brad industry posted:

Every time you license a work for use you are creating value in that instance for your client, and as the creator of that work you are entitled to a piece of that under your terms.

When I work in some production aspect (whether photo assistant or digital tech or whatever) I'm being paid for my time and labor, not my creative input. I don't have any stake in the final image or it's creation so it would be silly for me to be paid royalties for it. Boom operators are the same way.
Yeah that's pretty much it. Thanks for being patient with me.

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 17, 2009

pwn
May 27, 2004

Looking up a Nikkor P-C 105mm lens for another thread here, I found this interesting Flickr thread.

pwn
May 27, 2004

spog posted:

Given that Flickr was introduced in 2004,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flickr#History

Assuming he was posting at full rate as soon as it was launched (pro account, 2Gb per month limit), that's about 100 photos per day.

Roughly 1 photo every 10 mins for every hour that he has been awake for the last 6 years.

EDIT: 'Joined Aug 2006' which means his finger is basically glued to the shutter release.
Clicked on the "Sets" link, it was a race to the bottom of the browser window. It just kept loading

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

edit:

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 9, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

I would probably bludgeon this kid with my camera. He took 342 pictures at iHop on New Years, which followed New Years Eve in which he took 89 pictures of "putting away the dishes with nico in the am".

443 pictures for "going to the grocery with mommy" on 12-29, and 89 more just bringing the groceries in from the car.

I...I just can't fathom how anyone can tolerate him.

pwn
May 27, 2004

spog posted:

I must be getting old, cause I agree with about 70% of that article.

Though almost nothing he says about photography.
The aspect ratio/4:3 center-cut complaints are garbage. What is it about so many people that they can't just ignore black/grey bars? Pretend your HDTV is 4:3 and make some little old-school theatre curtains to draw in on the sides for 4:3 shows if it truly bothers you so much that everything isn't the same shape as Your TV.

But the "Garbage Covering the Pictures" part is dead-on, because gently caress that poo poo. I can actually remember what channel I've tuned to without needing the station's logo in the corner to remind me. And that's just the bugs; the promos for other shows on the bottom of the screen are even more annoying. HEY YOU BE SURE TO WATCH THIS CRAP THAT'S ON NEXT!! I want to watch the show that's on NOW, please stop ruining it. Thankfully most of this frustration is avoided by never watching cable.

pwn
May 27, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

His proof that the lefty elephant penis F100 is real is the fact that he wears his watch upside down, apparently.
There was a godawful writeup of him in a magazine a bit ago where he confirmed that it isn't real.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/Images/pdf/better-photography-in-2010-01.pdf

quote:

“You Cannot Be Serious”

According to a disclaimer on his website, Ken has mentioned that while writing articles, he often makes mistakes deliberately. A lot of his statements are practical jokes, and anyone reading his site must have a sense of humour to spot these ‘mistakes’. “I do these deliberate gaffes because they are fun!” says Ken.

The website has a photograph of Ken holding what seems to be a “left-handed” Nikon F100 camera. He decided to tell people that it is a custom-made left-handed camera that Nikon were kind enough to gift him. “In reality, of course, it is a regular camera whose picture I flipped around, because it looked better on the webpage’s layout!” With the constant scrutiny that surrounds his articles, his readers send him over a thousand emails even if he gets one product specification wrong. “But when I play these elaborate practical jokes, everybody believes me!” he laughs.

Interrupting Moss posted:

I'm absolutely convinced he's the photography world's equivalent of Fox News: saying whatever it takes to get the most viewers excited one way or the other so they'll keep coming back.

In other words: a troll to behold.

spog posted:

I think he deliberately has opinions that he knows will wind people up.

In other words, he's not an idiot, he is a clever troll. Let's face it, he gets quoted a lot more than people with sensible/mainstream opinions.
You give him too much credit. He isn't that clever, he's just ultra spergy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3S0_7xKOIc

psylent posted:

When I was growing up, my dad used to tell me something. He was an electrician for a little over a decade- well, he still is, but active and learning and in business, etc. Very handy to have around; he was fixing a friend's guitar cable the other day and was laughing at how bad the solder job was that the tech shop had done on the cable a few weeks prior. He then proceeded to own, fixed the cable, making it look effortless.

Anyway, in his years of studying and learning, he came to understand that the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. That maxim, in my adult years, helps me to keep perspective.

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 23, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

Since I've been absorbed in Kevin Frank's work the last few days I'll put this here as something neat.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Offensive language is not about words, but intent. That said the internet fosters an environment of anonymous strangers interacting. While my gay friends and I use these words, we know the context and intent. But I'm not going to use them around people I don't know because it's just common sense, I can't assume a stranger will not be offended, regardless of my intent. Internet communities are some weird mix of strangers and familiarity, and unless the community is very tight-nit you can't assume how other people that you've probably never even seen before, let alone met in-person, will react.

Each screenname represents the same person you would have polite conversation with at work or the supermarket. Try to bring some of the same civility and discretion you would use there with you to the discourse online, however easy it is to abuse the privilege of anonymity.

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 11, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

DaNzA posted:

edit: On a completely non-related note, Golden-hour calculator
http://www.golden-hour.com/
My Palm Treo has one of these built-in :smug: Not with the fancy graphics, just the facts ma'am. It's come in handy a few times.

pwn
May 27, 2004

DRP Solved! posted:

Is this a drunk/baked-post? That was one hell of a pointless ramble. The poster was handed a D3 for the first time and told to shoot an event that apparently had some emotional significance to someone. The Nikon layout is strikingly different from the Canon layout and not everyone masters the use of every camera system as a hobby.

With that said, the first DSLR I ever owned was a D60 and I absolutely hated the wheel on the back of the camera. The thing callused my thumb worse than an N64 controller.
The N64 controller owned but my sister hated it. She preferred a third party controller like the black one in this picture, that I hated. She consistently kicked my rear end in Mariokart 64, whatever controller she (or I) used.

Also the :rant: was directed at DaNzA, not fronkpies.

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 20, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

ZoCrowes posted:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/showcase-147/

Jeff Jacobson is a photojournalist and cancer survivor who used his final rolls of Kodachrome to document his illness and what he views as the end of his life.
God drat. That guy's awesome.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This is a short film I made in February using a D90, not really a music video proper but it's musical in nature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmnFGnXelw

pwn
May 27, 2004

fronkpies posted:

There all far to happy in that launch, annoying.

Content aware fill still what there plugging most.
They're. Contraction of they + are. They're.

pwn
May 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Alright, how did GBS leak in here?
I can ignore once but twice in one post brings on the spelling nazi. :argh:

pwn
May 27, 2004

edit: It's jarring seeing that idiot's :q: face in threads here.

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 15, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

That laser video made me think of something. Mainly that the more assholish of big acts will begin having laser lights specifically with destroying sensors in mind. Given how much some bands hate their fans with cameras, it doesn't seem out of reason.

I mean, I've read the stories about some bands in the threads here, like purposely keeping the stage lights off for the first three songs, etc. How likely would it be that one of them sees this video and goes "YES, another way to gently caress with photographers!"?

Keep in mind I don't read Japanese and Babelfish shits itself when attempting to translate that page, so I have no clue all of what's happening. Was the sensor really destroyed? Is that kind of thing common with lasers?

Mannequin posted:

There is also something going on at the Leica gallery.
Gotta :nws: that man, they's nudes in there

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 17, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

ease posted:

I just made a poormans version of a steady cam for my t2i. Used a ball joint from a tractor as the gimble, a pipe as the handle, and some box steel as the cantilever and welded it together. Trying to get it balanced now, but it seems to be doing the job. Kinda also works as a shoulder stock too, which is neat. I'd post pictures, but you'd all laugh at me.
Please do. I've been wanting to make a DIY steadicam rig for my D90 and would love any help I can get.

pwn
May 27, 2004

The f-stop number isn't based solely on size of the aperture, it's some formula for the amount of light that is let in and gets past the optics to the sensor/film. It's not just as easy as keeping the aperture blades at the same size opening. Otherwise making a 10-600mm f/1.0 terrorzoom would be trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

:v: Awesome, thanks for clearing that up.