Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just saw this on twitter; Photoshop magnets: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/bf9c/zoom/

That's so on my Christmas list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

psylent posted:

Cool short video about kodachrome: http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2009/fsa_color_multimedia/

That was a really cool video, thanks for sharing.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

We call this ADOBE, Can you say ADOUGH BEE?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ringo R posted:

Starting from next year I'll try to take one photo every single day. Yeah I know plenty of people do this but it'll be cool to start on 01 01 2010 :) It'll probably last 1 week before I find it too boring.

I've always wanted to do this but I thought about cheating a bit. I know there are going to be some days where I won't have time to put the effort into composing a shot. Maybe instead of shooting every day, I could shoot say, 7 good shots on a single day and post one a day for a week. It'd still make for a good blog ( that's half the fun right?) and it'd still push me to shoot more.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Mannequin posted:

Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I watched a pretty cool show called "Picture This" on the Ovation channel.

I hardly watch tv but they seem to often run pretty cool photography related stuff. I watched a pretty cool documentary about jazz photographer William Claxton a few months ago on that channel.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

notlodar posted:

What are the ethics behind letting your ex-girlfriend use one of your photos for free in the magazine she works for? :(

Unless you still get ex-sex then don't do it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Isn't it crazy how people can invest money in stocks and continue to make more and more money off their investment with out doing any more work???

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Can't you set Aperture to not manage your library? I know some people use Aperture that way and have access to the folders and what not where the files are located. I think it's kind of like how you can set iTunes to manage your files and put them in it's file system or just tell the program where your files are on disk.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

brad industry posted:

It's the metadata, ratings, etc. that's locked up not the actual image files. Kind of like if iTunes kept your ID3 tags hostage.

Well that sucks. I switched to Aperture when I got my first Mac last year and now I'm thinking about switching back. One of the big reasons I switched was that LR at the time didn't allow for filters, I guess they do now?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That's very cool and just a tad crazy but still awesome. I didn't know Polaroids could look that clean and sharp.

Speaking of Polaroids, I saw the craziest thing on the bulletin board at work outside of the cafeteria. It was a hand written advertisement for a used truck with a taped on Polaroid image of said truck. You'd think working for NASA and launching the most complex machine ever built into space, we wouldn't be staffed by so many luddites.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It looks like Apple just released Aperture 3. http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Nothing mind blowing in it but it does look like a solid upgrade. We all knew that faces and places from iPhoto was a given and that's included. It looks like the most useful additions are the brushes, curves, and presets which I assume were swiped from LR.

I feel like I'm the only goon using Aperture so I'm probably the only one who cares. I plan on sticking with it as I see no compelling reason to go to LR3.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

JaundiceDave posted:

The most interesting part of this is seeing that it took Apple this long to get brushes/full screen browsing into Aperture. After using LR2 I'm not sure how I'd get along without either of them.

It's always had full screen, I guess it's just better now. As for the lack of brushes I'm sure that's because LR2 came out after Aperture 2 and they one upped them on that.

Martytoof posted:

You know honestly what made me switch from Aperture to Lightroom?

The fact that Aperture kept its' photos in that giant fuckall vault file that I couldn't just go into like a normal folder. That aggrivated me to no end for backup purposes. Plus I couldn't just go into a single folder in Finder and copy a photo, I had to export it from Lightroom bla bla bla.

I guess it all made sense, it just seemed really clunky to me.

There is an option to make it so Aperture doesn't manage your files.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Twenties Superstar posted:

What is it about other people taking photos the way they want that makes you so upset as to use the word "fag" as a pejorative?

It's called context, I doubt he was refering to homosexuals. The word fag doesn't necessarily mean homosexual. It's a word that's changed meaning over the years and now a days in certain places (like a forum that replaces the word s-i-r with fag) it's not a pejorative towards gays.

I certainly don't think everyone in a Jane Austin is a homosexual.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

So what's the deal, do we have to be PC now on SA? Are we going to jump on people who use the the words twat and retard too? How about calling idea dumb or a piece of software crippled?

He wasn't gay bashing. Can we just go back to talking about photography?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone going to Photoshop World in Orlando this year? I live close by and there is a free expo only pass for the last two days of the show. I'm thinking about going the second to last day.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

orange lime posted:

Ugh, I hope not. People already don't seem to understand the linear resolution/spatial resolution thing (ie., 10MP is not "twice as good" as 5MP) or the concept of diminishing returns. Now that the D1/D3s can shoot at ISO 100,000, I can't wait for people to completely misunderstand geometric progressions.

"OMG THIS NEW CAMERA SHOOTS AT ISO 25000, THAT'S LIKE 10x BETTER THAN ISO 3200"

Why? The war is good for us as we'll get sensors with better low light capabilities out of it. Sure we're hitting a peak with MPs on a 35mm frame but there is a lot that can be done to lower noise.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Judge Joe Brown goes off on a lovely wedding photographer http://bit.ly/99QMO9

WHAT HELL FSTOP DID YOU USE? HOW CAN YOU BE A PROFESSIONAL WITH A KIT LENS?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I got my free expo pass today and went to Photoshop World in Orlando today. The way it's set up is that have a TON of paid classes/workshops and a little expo floor with a few vendors selling/giving presentations. Being not far from where I live, I figured it'd be worth checking out the little expo.

The expo was better and more useful than I expected. They had a lot of print vendors there like Mpix showing off their different printed goods. It was nice to see what the gallery wrap photos and seeing the huge metallic prints in person is really impressive. The other vendors were cool too, got to play with some gear my lovely little camera store doesn't have. Sold myself on one of these diffusers after playing with it. Tried to get some poverty wizards from Midwest photo but they didn't have any with them.

The coolest part was the Peach Pitt Press booth. They had a ton of their books there and they had back to back hour long presentations by their authors. I was lucky enough to catch David Ziser's show on off camera wedding flash. Really useful and a I learned some new things. The guy is definitely one of my favorite wedding photographers. iStock Photo and Kelby Training where also giving free classes, but I was only there for 2 and a half hours and didn't have time to catch another free class. I really wanted to see Vincent Versace presentation.

The only other thing I missed out on was the Wacom booth. They had stations set up with pads connected to photoshop. I've been thinking about getting one and it would have been nice to test it out there, however, I didn't want to wait in line to get on a demo box.

So overall, it was well worth going and I wish I had more time there. I bet the paid workshops and classes are pretty cool ($500 for the week) and I would consider paying if I can be profitable by next year. If I were to go I'd probably go to Vegas next year and make a little working vacation out of it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Mannequin posted:

A) have disposable money, B) have no real picture-taking ability, they just like going places to brag about their gear, and C) can't think for themselves which is why the idea of a semi-famous bigwig is appealing to them.

I don't know how this one is set up, but in general, I don't think workshops are useless. I've never been to one to myself but I've learned a lot from watching videos of workshops (strobist, kelby training, onelight). I can imagine it being helpful to be there in person to get some practical experience along with the knowledge.

I'm sure it's highly dependant on who is teaching the class and the agenda.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Looks like Borrow Lenses has a pretty nifty new telephoto lens for rent http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/canon_super_tele/Canon_5200 :v:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Honestly, there are 100's of better, more successful photographers who write quality blogs for me to give a gently caress about what this idiot has to say. He is only a clown to be made fun of.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

orange lime posted:

:words:

Agreed.

I bet there isn't a Ken Rockwell of carpenters that tells people not to buy power tools when people have been making great furniture for centuries with hand tools.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

You guys are right. No real craftsman uses bandsaws, drill presses, nail guns, routers, sanders or any of that bullshit. :rolleyes: Go turn 20 screws by hand then tell me you don't want a Dewalt.

A camera is a tool just like any other. The better the camera, the less annoyances/tedious work you have to deal with. I could shoot awesome photos on my completely manual Pentax K-1000, however, I'm going to work a lot harder to achieve the same results than on my 50D.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

orange lime posted:

"Send me cash to feed my starving family"

Probably because his fat gremlin of a wife eats all the food.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

torgeaux makes a good point. We're watching this video calmly sitting at our desks, not contantly worrying whether or not someone is trying to kill us. No doubt they made a mistake but there are a lot of human factors issues we're not considering. Think about it from the soldiers' point of view. You see a group of guys in a war zone, one with a rifle. Next thing you see is a guy ducking behind a building pointing a barrel at your chopper. We know what happened before we even watched that video. These guys see some pretty suspicious activity, then they see a guy making moves similar to that of someone who is about to launch an RPG. Situations like these are ripe for errors.

Anyway back to the fun...

This is a pretty interesting link, especially if you hate microstock. Maybe microstock won't take over the world after all?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

i tried to read the review till I got to the $10,000 with one lens part. If I had that kind of money I'd rather spend it on an airplane.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 7, 2010

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

My favorite shuttle launch photos are those where the photographer tries to do something no one else has done before. Now I have no idea if some hasn’t tried this before, but these are some of the best I’ve seen:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Wait- with the second one, is it the shuttle causing those cloud formations? Like smoke rings?

Yeah, it does that every now and then. I'm not exactly sure why.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

hybr1d posted:

Any recommendations on where to rent a 4/3rds? I am considering using a work bonus in the fall to switch over to the 5dmk2 from the Nikon platform. But again, that $3k investment in body and lenses would go very far for the limited/specific stuff I want. If the G10 or better accepted lenses, I would already be there.

This question for advice is probably better suited for the gear thread. However http://www.lensrentals.com has all kinds of 4/3rds gear. I'm sure other rental houses to do, that just happened to be the first one I looked at.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I found this cool Space Shuttle processing time lapse from STS-130 yesterday http://www.airspacemag.com/video/Go-For-Launch.html

It's about 5 minutes long and spans over 6 weeks of work; shot on 5D2s. Missing from the footage is the processing in the VAB once the orbiter is mated and the month or so of processing done at the launch pad. I'm probably in a few of these shots but it's too quick to see me.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm a member of a few groups on meetup.com and I saw someone (not a group member) posted this to one of the groups:

quote:

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents!

I am organizing a VIP event on Sunday for the Men's Divorce Law Firm
and I am in a jam and need help and would be forever grateful.

The details are all listed below but the gist is I need a TF
photographer for THIS Sunday, November 7th. I only need: A group shot
of the models outside of the VIP Man Tent; single shots of the ladies;
a few candid shots. You could stay as long as you like but I think
this could be whipped out in as little as an hour.

It is for the Winter Park Concours d'Elegance and it is a phenomenal,
elite event that showcases some of the most exotic and classic cars in
the nation. Major exposure, I have gorgeous models lined up, a
fantastic MUA but my photographer had to cancel last minute. I don't
have extra money in the budget to offer compensation other than:
Intense exposure with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Merchant Circle,
Red Carpet Events, and a hotlink to your portfolio/site on my blog.
Also, the models are of the finest caliber and the event itself would
make for a wonderful day for a photographer with the classic cars and
spectacle of Park Avenue being closed down and filled with thousands
of viewers.

Thanks again! :)

Natalie Anne Ramirez
natramirez7@gmail.com
http://www.modelmayhem.com/NatalieAnneRamirez
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1210648542

HERE ARE THE TECHNICAL DETAILS AND PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP IF YOU COULD
HELP. I WOULD EVEN BE WILLING TO THROW IN A TF SHOOT WITH ME IF YOU
ARE INTERESTED IN A STYLE THAT YOU NEED FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO.

WHO: THE MEN'S DIVORCE LAW FIRM
WHAT: WINTER PARK CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE
WHERE: THE MEN'S DIVORCE LAW FIRM VIP TENT (corner of Park Ave where
Panera Bread is)
COMPENSATION RATE: TF
WHEN: EVENT IS ON SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2010 FROM 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

*The Winter Park Concours d?Elegance has risen in attendance and
notoriety to become one of the most highly-regarded, judged exotic car
shows in the United States. Staged in a setting of true elegance, Old
Winter Park closes six blocks of Park Avenue to welcome over 120 of
the world?s most prestigious automobiles. The tents of event patrons
line the tree-shaded avenue showcasing products and services to a
walk-in audience of potential buyers. Nationally-recognized and ranked
automobile judges - many of whom are world-renowned experts in
specialty-marquee automobiles, spend the day carefully examining each
show car until a final group of handpicked award winners are
determined. https://www.winterparkconcours.com

Expectations:

As you know, we will be sponsoring a tent for VIP guests. We will have
a table in the VIP area set up with brochures and information on our
firm and services. We are also auctioning off a classic car/50?s
style pin-up themed painting. We will be selling raffle tickets and
will need your assistance in raising awareness about the Men?s Divorce
Law Firm booth and auction. The proceeds received will go to a local
charity. You will be mingling with the VIP guests and making sure
everyone visits the booth to purchase a raffle ticket and of course,
just being outgoing, professional and friendly.

*Other Sponsors: http://www.winterparkconcours.com/sponsors09.html

Please visit our firm page for more information on our services:
https://www.mensdivorcelaw.com or our facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/mensdivorcelaw.

I replied with:

quote:

I have a friend going through a divorce, can I send them to those lawyers for some free legal counseling? If he does good in court I'll be sure to tell everyone about how great the law firm is on myspace.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

HPL posted:

Weddings are pretty much the only time the average person will ever pay out four figures on photography.

Not true. Don't forget blackmail.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

dunkman posted:

I have a guy driving 2 hours to "take a look at" my Tokina 11-16. I'm pretty sure he's going to buy it. He better not try to haggle!

I just set a price of more than I really want for it. Something worth a few hundred I'd add something like $50 to my real asking price. If they wanna haggle I'll give them $25 off and if they're really stubborn I'll give them $50. Last time I sold a lens the guy didn't haggle and gave me that $50 more than I expected.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone going to Photoshop World in Orlando next week? I don't have the funds to attend the full thing this year, but I will be there for the free expo pass. Especially considering it's 5 minutes from my house.

If you haven't heard of the conference, despite the name it's actually mostly geared towards photography and photographers though there are a few classes that dabble in other arts. As you would expect, most of the classes are on the post processing side of things but there is a healthy number technique and business classes too. It's also a great place to network.

As for the free expo pass, it was pretty cool and totally worth going if you're in the area. It's fun to check out the vendors and play with all the gear you've only read about online. I remember the Wescott booth being really neat and someone had a booth with a ton of different tripods for sale. Bring some money if you can because you'll probably find something you'll want to buy. However, I'd have to say the best part of the expo pass is that they put on free bonus classes all day. Last year I went to David Ziser's class and ended up learning a lot in the hour he spoke.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a TV ad for an SLR before, maybe it's just been too long.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHyHfuc53s
Shoot like a pro with guide mode! :suicide:

I remember the Andre Agassi Canon commercials growing up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwoxBRAYwsI

That one is the best, it has loving AWESOME song.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Martytoof posted:

There's nothing worse than coming back from a small walkaround shoot and having a card full of technically well shot photos, but they're all ridiculously boring. I almost like it better when I have zero keepers because I was shooting +2EV accidentally or something.

The best thing you can do is get out of your comfort zone and shoot something you normally wouldn't shoot in a way you normally wouldn't shoot it. For example, you could try spend a day doing nothing but shooting while laying on your belly for a different perspective. Do you stop people on the street and ask to take their portrait? Try that. Maybe try your hand a macro if you don't do that a lot. Give yourself an assignment like "I'm only going to shoot red things". The possibilities are endless, just find something that'll work for you and mix things up.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It's probably more geared towards businesses who only need the software for a short time. It'd be silly to drop $600 on PS when you only need it for a couple months.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What sort of business that needs photoshop would only need it for a brief time?

Well if you only need it for small projects a couple times a year, it makes more sense to spend $100 to rent for a couple months than $650 to own it. Or say you find yourself in a situation where you need 10 more licenses for a really big project that's only going to last a few months.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 12, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's some nice wildlife gear-porn in this clip about a bald eagle that's been spending time in Orange County:

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/04/05/behind-the-lens-shooting-video-of-the-wild-bald-eagle-in-irvine/

I'd love to get out there this weekend and check it out.

For being "wildlife photographers" with $6000 lenses, they seem way too amazed at seeing a bald eagle (at a zoo no less). Granted I don't know how it is in California, but here in Florida you can find them in any woodsy place during the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just saw this on Canon Rumors today:

quote:

Oh Joy
The IDC reported yesterday on the marketshare of the camera makers for 2010.

Canon remains the #1 camera maker in the world if you included PowerShots. Sony is in 2nd place.

However, in DSLR marketshare for 2010. Canon kicked the butt of pretty much everyone out there.

DSLR Global Marketshare 2010

Canon 44.5%
Nikon 29.8%
Sony 11.9 %
I always attach a grain of salt to marketshare research, everyone seems to come up with a different number. However, IDC is pretty well respected.

The interesting thing about this to me is not how well Canon and Nikon are doing, but how Sony is coming up in the world. Though I doubt I'll ever switch, I think Sony has some cool ideas and I hope they do well so they'll push Canon to innovate more.