Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just saw this on CL today:

quote:

Seeking photographer to take photos of a live band in September. There's no pay, this is strictly for photographers looking to branch out or build their portfolios. Photographer is welcome to use all/any photos on their website/portfolio and welcome to put their name or website on any/all photos. Please e-mail for more details if you're interested. Thanks!

Oh how kind of them to let the photographer keep their own photos! I'm half tempted to post an add "Seeking a Band for my party", no pay but it'll give you experience playing at parties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

I don't see a problem with this sort of job. I got into photography a couple years ago, and I generally now know how to meter things. I'd like to earn some money from photography at some point, if I ever felt I had a good handle on my skills in order to deliver a product that is satisfactory.

In order to do so, I need to shoot, a lot. I also need to put myself in situations where I can practice shooting for someone and delivering a specific product. Without any sort of portfolio, I would be unable to find a paying job, and indeed would not be confident in doing so. These sorts of jobs would enable someone like me to enter the market and begin to build value as a photographer, so I could then charge more, while also increasing my sense of confidence in my ability to deliver good photographs.

Then shoot bands you like to practice. Don't take a "job" from someone who is just trying to finagle free work out of you.

Can you imagine this same scenario making sense in any other hobby/profession?

"Hi, me and my girlfriend want to go to New Orleans for the weekend and we're looking for a student/hobbyist pilot to fly us there. This would be a great opportunity for anyone needing flight hours for their license and if the weather is right, maybe some IFR hours too. There is no compensation but you'd be able to log all the hours you spend on this trip and maybe get some paid work in the future."

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

If you're shooting for free you should always be shooting to better your portfolio. If I wanted to shoot bands I'd pursue and contact bands I liked and wanted to shoot. Get in contact with them, get press passes. You can email pics to them later. It's a much better set up than showing up as a free employee and having to deal with the expectations of a band expecting you to perform a professional service for free.

Exactly.

I don't know why everyone thinks it's hard to get a chance to shoot a live band. Hell, you don't even need a press pass to start; just show up a small venue that allows cameras.

Secondly, why would the guy asking for free photos on craigslist be a good opportunity? If he was anyone big and important, he wouldn't have to beg for free photos. In all likelihood this guy is in a redneck cover band that plays the VFW hall on weekends.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

My guess is #2, better contrast from the L glass.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

xzzy posted:

I find it hard to believe he got both the sky and the greens that rich without messing with the colors in post.

Is there a filter that can do that, because if so, I got a credit card and am ready to use it!

It was also shot on a medium format camera which has more dynamic range.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Free lens hoods for all, with one catch.

When DIY goes too far…

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

ease posted:

Can anyone explain to me the copyright situation of an image like this?

http://goo.gl/X8WSU

I'm not a lawyer but I'd guess it'd be whoever owned/set up the camera. If you think about it, it's really not any different than a camera trap that wildlife photographers use.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Wow way to piss off your core customers. Too funny.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I joined a bunch of meetup.com photography groups awhile back. Though I never go to any meetings, I get emails from them all the time. Some of them are really loving stupid.

quote:

A friend of mine is having a launch party this Thursday evening for a new Orlando law firm and is in need of a photographer for the event. This would be a non-paying gig (plus tip), and would be an excellent opportunity to build your corporate event portfolio, gain exposure to 200+ professionals in attendance, and receive a glowing review on your corporate event photography. Photo prints will be mailed out after the event to all attendees, so your final product will be seen by many (photographer will not be responsible for prints, just emailed or CD pics to hostess). Location is right by Crealde on Aloma. If you are interested, please email me at jjordan565@yahoo.com.

Thank you!
Jacquelynne

This is like the second time I've seen a big law firm in town trying to get free photography. poo poo like this makes me glad I'm going back to work in a non-photography job.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

You'd think lawyers, who probably get asked for free work more than photographers, would be more respectful. If they really wanted to cheap out, I'm sure they could do some bartering.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

Yeah, after sleeping on it I think I made the right decision. I'll get something to add to my portfolio, and it's added experience, all that stuff. Also it's so that she can give pictures to all of the people who donated money/bottles to her when her dog was in the hospital with a $17,000 vet bill. Yeesh. Especially since she definitely does not have that much money and she ended up selling a bunch of her own stuff to help pay for it.

So I get to feel like I helped, and I will definitely charge next time!

Also, spog, that is great thinking, haha.

I shoot twice a month for a non-profit no kill pet rescue here in town. It's pretty much an all volunteer organization with the exception of maybe a receptionist and a vet. The photos I take are used for the rescue's website to help get the animals adopted. To me it's charity work and I have no inclination to charge.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just wanted to say that I haven't been shooting much last year and not at all since the summer (long story) and in that time Apple still hasn't come out with a new version of Aperture. I give up. As soon as I get back to shooting again in about a month, I'm going to Lightroom.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think the G1x would be perfect if it didn't have the fly by wire zoom and had a hybrid viewfinder like a x100. Sometimes you just don't want to haul around a bunch of poo poo.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Whitezombi posted:

Just got this email from a friend who is on Model Mayhem. She does lots of nude modeling.

I think it's a two way street on MM. I just started casually looking for models on MM the other day and I swear that half the models were nasty fat chicks that had pussy shots on their profile. I'm not trying to be mean but I don't know what they hell they're doing aside from finding a john or looking for a gig on dictionary a photo shoot for the words "ugly" "fat" and "nasty".

I don't know if it's gone down hill or it's just this new town I'm in.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

Any good YouTube channels for general photography tips/tricks/ideas/inspiration/gear/etc?

I followed DigitalRevCom for a while but they've really gone to poo poo.

I kinda actually hated DigitalRev. Maybe because I don't like Kai because I have deep down hatred for hipsters.

On the other hand, I'm a pretty big fan of The Grid Live with Scott Kelby & Matt Kloskowski. I'm not sure if they upload everything to youtube, however the videos they have on the site should play on most things and they have it as a podcast (I actually watch it on my TiVo). It's kind of like a photography talk show where they discuss various things currently going on in the world of photography. Overall the guys on the show are pretty down to earth and they're not afraid to call out buillshit (like the hype around the X100 when it came out). I've listened to a lot of photography podcasts/shows and The Grid is right at the top along with The Candid Frame.

I also like they're in Tampa and sometimes talk about Florida stuff like how awesome Publix is, why it's near impossible to be a landscape photographer in FL, and how the snow birds invade during the winter.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I get not liking Kai, he's got a weird sense of humor, but :wtc:. Is he a hipster because he wears a hat? Because he still shoots film sometimes? What a bizarre thing to say.

I don't need to explain my hipster bigotry :colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sorry, I'm not very scientific in categorizing groups of people I don't like.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

They're not so much terrible as they are painfully mediocre. I mean I guess relative to the level of photography they should represent they are terrible, but they're competent enough.

Yeah, I agree. Probably good enough for the local swimsuit store's penny saver ad. You'd think SI would have some playboy quality shots.

Speaking of Glamor photography, can anyone recommend any good photographers to check out?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Well you know if you botch someone's portrait up and make them look bad, they could commit suicide and their death could be on your hands. Seems worth protecting, just like engineers and doctors where gently caress ups can cost lives. :v:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe you found a niche market for your photography.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

HPL posted:

1488photography.com

Or maybe landscapes4hate.com

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Have you guys been caught up in that white/gold black/blue dress crap going on in Facebook. I know this is buzz feedy crap, but what the gently caress.

When I first saw it was gold and white. I had a conversation over dinner about it and I was being smug and said "uhh well the camera doesn't see things the same way as us and it over exposed and it depends on the lighting". In my mind it was gold and white, no question about it. Later on I took another look at it, and what the gently caress it is black and blue. Now every time I look at it, it's black and blue no question.

I guess it's good thing I just happened to buy a colormunki and color checker passport earlier today.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

spog posted:

I am guessing that it's my eye recalibrating itself from 'just awake' to 'been in the sun all day'

EDIT: only 30mins since this post and it is white again.

Yeah just after I posted, it when white again too. It keeps going back and forth. I heard your color perception changes throughout the day, maybe that has something to do with it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It changes even on calibrated monitors. More of a brain thing I guess.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

My nice daylight balanced eyes are screwed up now.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I still upload to Flickr but I enjoy using 500px way more. The quality of the photos people post is so much better and it's fun to see how popular your photos become. I also like how there are groups now, though to be honest I haven't spent much time in them.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

500px is the place to go if you want to feel like you're the worst photographer in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Some of us are at work, please link and use NSFW warnings.