Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Rememember when models had pores?

Wow, you must be old!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'd be curious to see if there were any crossover from the camera manufacturers.

e.g. Canon makes a new P&S that includes a SIM to allow you to send your photos straight to facebook when taken.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

brad industry posted:

This is my least favorite phrase ever :doh:

Worse than 'nice photographs, you must have a good camera' ?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Heh, a photo of me got explored yesterday. Yay for silly cameras?

Congratulations on being an amazing tree from around the world.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Okay, gently caress it... from now on, my S90 is my daily walkaround camera, not my DSLR

Yeah, I love the images from my DSLR, but the S90 comes pretty drat close for walkaround photos. And even in lowlight, it works surprisingly well because of the IS

The S90 weighes 200g including case. It is silly to carry around 1.5kg* all day to take a dozen photos, it is just not worth it

(body:500g, 18-50:450g, Grip:250g plus bag)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This is most insane live camera work I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f3mUs7rS1I
Full on running dismount off a segway holding a steadicam.

Holy gently caress, that is more impressive than the entire Eurovision singers combined.

If I did that, I'd be spitting out teeth while the camera recorded a closeup of their feet.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've been refiling my photo archive and just celebrating getting my 'New Photos' folder down to less than 8,000 images.

Next I'll sort my sock drawer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm trying to remember a photog I really liked. It's a chinese guy who dresses up in a mao costume and photographs himself in front of major world monuments. Ring a bell with anyone?

Never heard of him, but now I am definitely interested!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

dakana posted:

How do you even manage to make something like this?

http://www.360cities.net/gigapixel/strahov-library.html

I know how to do a 360 panorama like that, but how do you do one and also get that ridiculous level of detail? Is it automated with something that calculates the FoV and shoots it with various focal lengths achieving 100% coverage with each? I'm imagining an absolutely dizzying amount of photos to cover all of that to that level of detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigapan

They are less expensive than you might imagine:

http://www.gigapansystems.com/

I have been tempted at times. Only $300 for the basic model

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fists Up posted:

This is quite interesting.

Want to see how it works

http://re35.net/index.html

Even if it does turn out to be a gimmick

It's a shame it is an April Fools joke

http://translate.google.com.au/tran...s%26prmd%3Divns

I can imagine an awful lot of photographers got their ponytails all twisted up in excitement.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Almost definitely a gimmick I think. Still an interesting idea.

Beastruction posted:

Replace the film pressure plate with a sensor, attach a small generator/capacitor to the film advance so you don't need awkward battery packs, put an SD slot where the film cartridge would go. Easy!

How much of a technical impossibility, is it? Put aside the commercial considerations for a moment.

You wouldn't need a big battery pack, since the majority of the power requirements are the shutter/mirror actions, plus the LCD backlighting.

With 32GB microSD, there's plenty of room for memory.

How thick does a sensor have to be? This says that you can have small sensor 0.39mm thick

http://documents.irevues.inist.fr/bitstream/handle/2042/16890/dtip08201.pdf?sequence=1

I think that's thin enough to fit against the back plate. (let's ignore the economics that would make designing a large, flat sensor totally impractical)

I can see that squeezing the chips into a volume the size of a film canister is going to be tricky, since they are usually contructed on flat planes.

I'd guess that the biggest issue is that you couldn't sync the sensor to the shutter.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Dump the pictures to an obscure corner of your harddrive and forget about them for at least a year. Like good wine, some photos will benefit tremendously from a little aging.

1) Convert them into black and white. Voila! Instant 'reportage'

2) Run a lomo-effect filter over them. Poof! Instant hipster cred

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'm making my prediction now:

The subscription version of PS will have some, or all of the following features:

Constant, intrusive updates
    Systray icon all the time
    Requires latest version of Acrobat (next version will be 1GB and take 10mins to open a pdf)
    European customers will be charged considerably more than US
    Internet connectivity required all the time
    Installs some hidden software on your PC that is later shown to be a security risk
    Users cannot use web browser while the program is open
    Rapes your dog

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Zegnar posted:

But touchscreen never took off on computers, the ultimate general purpose device..

gorilla arms

(try touching your monitor all day and you get tired arms)
(good god, everything is in da wiki now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesture_recognition#.22Gorilla_arm.22

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with touch screens. It opens the potential for infinitely customizable UIs.

When I want to perform a function on my body, I know to press button A, then B twice and can do it without looking. With touchscreens, I might miss button A and B only registers a single press. It's too unreliable for Serious Photographers.

I think it is Samsung who have a rows/columns alongside the LCD and their function and label changes with the context. That seems a reasonable compromise for a lot of people.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egie4ApwoUg

Not that I am using this to advance any kind of argument. Just thought a guy typing at 75wpm on a mobile phone (Blackberry) is kind of fun to watch.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

I keep trying to find shorter summaries of my experience, right now the best I've come up with is this: "5D+35L quality in a body slightly larger than a bar of soap."

I think a short summary of your experience would be:

'Pass me a kleenex, please'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Helmacron posted:

A picture of your penis with urine coming out and cascading down down down to a busy city street.

Didn't you ever wonder how they managed to keep the bucket filled up there?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Helmacron posted:

:psyboom:

See, the think about Developing Fluid is that while is a relatively safe liquid, you really shouldn't drink it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ease posted:

Who would want to plug their phone into their camera everytime they want to use it? Unless you want to give your leica it's own phone number and have two iphones? Dummmb.

You really think that the average Leica owner will have a problem buying a second iphone just for storage for their camera?

I'm just surprised that Leica doesn't already sell a Leica-branded SD card for $400

spog
Aug 7, 2004

So, that photo of Obama playing Counterstrike:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/5680724572

# Image Width = 4096 pixels
# Image Length = 2731 pixels
# Camera Make = Canon
# Camera Model = Canon EOS 5D Mark II
# Software / Firmware Version = Adobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
# Last Modified Date/Time = 2011:05:02 17:00:44
# Artist = Pete Souza

# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/100 second ===> 0.01 second
# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 35/10 ===> ƒ/3.5
# Exposure Program = manual control (1)
# ISO Speed Ratings = 1600
# Original Date/Time = 2011:05:01 16:05:04
Aperture = ƒ/3.5
# Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/1 ===> 0
# Max Aperture Value (APEX) = 1/1 ===> 1
Max Aperture = ƒ/1.41
# Distance to Subject = 203/100 m
# Metering Mode = partial (6)
# Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
# Focal Length = 35/1 mm ===> 35 mm
# Colour Space = sRGB (1)
# Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
# Exposure Mode = manual exposure (1)
# White Balance = auto (0)
# Scene Capture Type = standard (0)
* Compression = JPEG compression (6)

That's a 5DMkII with a 35mm F1.4

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Reichstag posted:

...and?

Well, I thought it was interesting to see what the official Whitehouse photog used. Sorry that you disagree.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

spf3million posted:

Did you catch the documentary on the life of the official white house photog? Pretty interesting.

No. Is it on youtube or somewhere for non-americans?

If I understand that EXIF correctly, he's shooting auto white balance in jpg. i would have assumed that he/she'd use RAW

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

That isn't too surprising, there are probably pretty strict guidelines about how many copies of an image there can be until it's given clearance, and he probably isn't given a lot/any time at all to edit.

I bet it must be frustrating that 90% of your stuff never gets to be seen by the public

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Just to depress you further:

It has been known for theieves to return to the same place a few weeks later and steal all the new stuff that was bought with the insurance money. (Which, unfortunately, you will not have)

I hope that this doesn't lead to sleepless nights, but at least get the landlord to boost the security there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rawrr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5IYahsPK2k

Dude takes over than 41 seconds to compose a shot with a Leica, can't figure out why he keeps underexposing.

Oh, that is beautiful.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

INTJ Mastermind posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jijt-hP1jxA&feature=related

Goon photography at its best!

That is just about the creepiest thing I have seen for a long time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I'll be in South Asia for the summer, and I'm really thinking about selling some of my kit, and my DSLR body, and getting an X100 instead. After the summer, I can't decide on what to do, and if I want to keep the Fuji or not.

Funny that this conversation has just come up: I am sitting in a coffee shop in Kuala Lumpur, having decided to do my whole trip with only an S90.

Honestly speaking, I am very happy with it and don't feel my photography will suffer without the dslr. I have a tiny littpe tripod for night work.

So far, only low light interior shots of people suffers a little as i cannot freeze them well.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tarepanda posted:

I wish that'd happened to me. A small drop and blam, unusable lens.

You need to change to more positive thinking:

A small drop and blam, shopping trip for a new toy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

A5H posted:

So I think I've got a job assisting shooting a prestigious British car firms ad and promo materials. They're going to be flying me out to Munich for 4 weeks. I think this is a pretty big step into doing things more seriously! I'm so excited.

Cool.

As it is a British car manufacturer, I hope that it doesn't fall apart or burst into flames during the photo shoot.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

A5H posted:

It shouldn't do. They are pretty reliable. Also >500bhp ;) Can't wait to drive!

Clearly you aren't talking about TVR.

Have fun. Don't forget the “My Epiglottis Is Full Of Bees” in-car shot if you can

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Destroyenator posted:

I took my T70 with a 50mm and flash out to capture some of the excitement. At some point I think I was given a spiked drink or similar

Destroyenator posted:

Well this is a bit of an anticlimax but it turns out I didn't get robbed at all and that I had thrown my camera into my pile of clothes in my hostel.

Maybe you were drugged and mugged by Nikon users who didn't want to change systems?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bad night's sleep, wake up, shower and dress.

Check myself out in the mirror and see a big spot. Think "oh well, I can easily clone that out"

Get halfway to the door before I realise what is wrong with this.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AceClown posted:

Bit of a specific one this but does anyone know what the rules are for photographing on hospital property in the UK?

Doing a bit of google, it looks like each hospital trust has their own rules but I was wondering if it covers "Public Place" laws or if it's seperate?

Aren't hospitals private land that is owned the relevant trust and therefore they can make their own rules?

Practically, of course, if you want to take photos in the carpark, you will need permission of the hospital management and inside a ward, you will the ward sister's permission.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AceClown posted:

Yeah, I think thats the case. There are some really funky long corridors I was wanting to shoot, not patients so I may just ask at front desk and see if they have any issues, hell they put up all kinds of local art and amatuer poo poo on the walls so I may even offer to send them a copy of any good shots I get if they allow me to photograph the archetecture.

I may also lie and say its part of a college study course in instituional archetecture for an open degree and baffle them with long words :D

I suspect that they will either tell you 'no' or to write a letter to the management, who will then tell you 'no'.

Privacy is a big deal in hospitals and there's not much benefit to them in letting you take photos, and a lot of downsides.

But give it a go...maybe they will have an event (kiddie's day) that they'd be okay for you to take photos of for their newsletter and you can tack on some interior decor shots at the same time. There's nothing to lose in trying, but really don't get your hopes up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

It's always easier to say no unfortunately.

I really struggle finding good locations for cheap/nothing - I'm seriously considering hiring a luxury vacation apartment for a day because it's probably 1/5 the price of a similar "photography location" and it's comparable a studio rate

I am guessing that a lot of people are now aware of how easy it is to get sued and are appropriately scared.

It doesn't help that Health and Safety has gone a bit silly, either, with requiring a hard hat and high visibility vest for making a cup of tea.

You used to be able to sign up for guided tours of abandoned Underground stations, but they stopped that for H&S - I really kicked myself for missing out on that.

There's a lot to be said for following the creedo 'It's easy to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission'and just doing it and hoping you can get away with it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I think that all of you are right (hugs!!!!)

I'd also like to add in the Haagen Daaz effect: they are priced high because they sell at that price and they sell at that price because they are priced high.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I believe MMC is a film Leica user.

In my opinion, there is a world of difference between the excellent film Leicas (a way of getting highest quality shots on 35mm film, in a small package) and the digital Leicas (a way of getting pretty good shots in a smallish package)

The films Leicas filled a quality/size niche - yes there were overpriced, but at least they were very good at that niche

The digital Leicas have been much more about appealing to a certain market segment, rather than providing the best quality image/durability. I'd say that the M9 is the first one that really deserves the Leica name

spog
Aug 7, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Not a very good analogy. Haagen Daaz repeatedly wins taste test scores. Even in Germany, where they know chocolate, Test (think consumer reports, but not sponsored) rates Haagen Daaz as the best ice cream in several flavor categories, and in the top 3 in basically all of them. It's a very very very tasty product, and in food, that matters. It could still be overpriced, but it isn't just generic vanilla with a better label and marketing stategry.

I think you may have misunderstood my point a little: I am suggesting the HD effect in combination with the previous points raised by Haggins, Captain Postal and Rated PG-34: i.e. a high quality product, with an expensive sensor (because of size) and the higher production cost due to short production runs, all combined together makes for an expensive camera. Once they costed it up, they made a marketing decision to bump the price a little higher and make it a more desirable product and so drive sales.

In much the same way that at first, HD had a superior ice-cream at about market price and failed to make significant sales. They then doubled the prices and sales rocketed because of the perceived value.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The new pentax Q looks pretty cool:
http://dpreview.com/previews/pentaxQ/

And small:

Tiny, actually

Ooh, tempting. Makes the X100 look like a brick. Oh wait, shall we check if it is full frame?

quote:

The Pentax Q is the smallest interchangeable lens camera on the market. And, just like the company's famously diminutive Auto 110 SLR from the late 70's, it achieves this by embracing a smaller format than its peers. Being built around a 1/2.3" sensor, the Q is a fraction of the size of even the smallest existing mirrorless cameras and is the first really pocketable model

To make clear what the rather opaque 1/2.3" figure actually means, it equates to a surface area of around 28mm2. This is around 1/8th the size of the sensor used in Micro Four Thirds cameras and 1/13th the size of the the APS-C format sensor in Sony's NEX. The advantage of this is that the lenses for the Q mount can be made a lot smaller than those for other systems, but the downside is that the image quality is more likely to resemble that of a compact camera than a DSLR.

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

(also lol at 8.5mm being a 40.5mm equiv on 35 mm)

pwn posted:

40.5 is the filter ring size.

What's hilarious is that 8.5mm is actually equivalent to 47mm, so it is even worse than that.