Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
I find it especially frustrating when you're at the right place at the wrong time. A lot of places become really interesting in the right lighting/weather conditions, and a lot of that is up to chance. For my more elaborate images I try to find locations, scout out where I will take pictures from, then go back when the time is right and get the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Mannequin posted:

...I'm not sure I would want it though. Seem almost like a liability because of its rarity and price tag.

I gotta agree with you. It looks like the bubble sits further out than the sides of the lens hood. Can you imagine scratching that beast? "oops"
Still though, 13mm at 35mm, that's amazing, you'd need something like an 8mm lens on a crop body to get the same FOV. Wow, I just looked at the ken rockwell photo, his photo shows the size of the thing better. It's HUGE.

"Big, long, telephoto lenses are not great, even though they impress beginners.

Every camera maker: Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Zeiss, Leica, the Russians and more, all make big telephotos. So what? Photography is about getting close. Long lenses are for photographers who lack the skills to get close."
:colbert:

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Augmented Dickey posted:

Anyone have a 3ft UV filter handy?

holy crap that's ridiculous. What's it for?

In other news I watched a really interesting documentary called the botany of desire, http://www.pbs.org/thebotanyofdesire/ It's about how plants have used us to spread and breed them all over the world, like a much more capable bee. They focus on apples, tulips, marijuana, and potatoes. The documentary itself was really interesting, definitely worth watching, however I noticed a problem in the filming.

For the most part the cinematography was well done, interesting shots, very well edited, but there was a fatal flaw. I think they used DSLR's to take the video for quite a few of the shots. And I noticed this because it had an awful problem with rolling shutter. It really was apparent when they panned, in some of the tulip and cannabis segments it got so bad it was all I could notice. The shots looked like shaky jello. The strange part is people in the same frame didn't seem to be affected noticeably, but the bright flowers and pot leaves shook like hell. It seems that no matter how good digital slrs get at video, unless they can fix that problem or come up with a new shutter entirely, they will never be very capable for film making.

snowman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 3, 2009