Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

notlodar posted:

It's in camera HDR, not tone mapping

:supaburn: HDR :supaburn:

I think this could either be really useful or really worthless. Like every new whizbang they bring out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

brad industry posted:

Photo Mechanic - to do an initial edit for photojournalists or other people who shoot eight billion images a day

Yeah I found that using LR was a lot smoother and headache free, when working with huge shoots, when I used PM as a front-end editor. You won't find a faster program for making selections and edits. That said, if you're not regularly dealing with 500+ photo shoots (or really slow computers) then its advantages are less apparent.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
Depending on how I'm feeling it's either app-er-ture or or app-a-ture.

Usually pronounce bokeh as "blur"

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

In that video, it looks like the kid doesn't want to go into the car. He's holding onto the car door resisting being taken away, at first I thought it was a medical transport, I guess its some kind of police?
edit: And whats with so many photographers being there? It's all very suspicious.

It wouldn't be altogether shocking for the larger organization to call some journalists and say "hey some kids in our youth branch are going to be throwing rocks at X location, you should come check it out" because it would suit everyone involved. Think about it, the US does it too.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
edit: damnit that's what I get for not reading the thread for a few days.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

ease posted:

What kind of socks?

Those are pretty clearly REI wool hiking socks, which are about the best thing you could wear in a boot...

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

xzzy posted:

I always figured they were wannabe painters who lack the skill to make an actual surrealist painting. They only use a camera because photoshop makes it so easy to blend things together, in their worldview they get the same thing without any of that pesky hard work.

Slap something about "NEW MEDIA!!!" into the statement and suddenly people start treating them like they're a visionary talent.

This is a pretty deliberately negative way to look at it. If you are a surrealist, and your goal is to create images that look like they could be real, of course you will use photography as opposed to painting. A painting is at once a "creation" and could not have been real. A photograph that has been seamlessly altered is the ultimate still-image surrealist presentation and will likely allow the viewer to come away with a sense that it could be real, like they are looking into a dream, etc. Adding a layer of judgement to the whole discussion is pointless and just smacks of a "purity" argument that no one will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Reichstag posted:

but that it is by no means the ultimate expression of some monolithic and directed surrealist aim.

You're 100% correct, I think I was being a bit absolutist, I just found the idea that someone working in photography was a "wannabe painter" to be a really thoughtless way of looking at it.

edit: VV fair enough VV

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 4, 2013