Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

squidflakes posted:

PCS then?

Can the different letters be different colors, outlined in harsh, glaring white? And if it pulses...can it pulse? If so, PCS seems to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

squidflakes posted:

or

Beautiful...just...breath-taking. I have a small tear in my eye. That could be caused by the damaged retina, though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

Sign me up.

Is it $.50 per picture accepted or per picture provided? Because if it's the latter, I'm willing to fly in and fill up a few 16 gig cards for the guy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tuyop posted:

Man it's going to take forever to process all those HDRs. :ohdear:

Ya gotta automate that. That's the strength of the HDR, they all end up looking alike anyway, so there's no need to individualize the process. Select pictures, push button, sheild eyes, save result.

I plan to charge him $1.50 per HDR, since it will be three shots combined.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

I got a reply.

I'd be great for the project!!!

Well, we always say, "Don't give away your photos." And, you wouldn't be. This is a great start for a photographer, and you'll get good exposure, and you'll get better paying jobs in the future, and you should be happy that people will see your work, and did I mention that you'll get better jobs in the future and this is good exposure?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

I'm being a smartass - no way in hell would I do this.

You should almost pay them for all the great exposure this will give you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

orange lime posted:

Are you kidding? It's 50 cents per picture and they accept ONE picture of each place?

So assuming that all the venues are on one strip and you can just go door to door, and it takes you about 5 minutes to set up and get a good photo of each one and move on to the next, you are making...6 dollars an hour.

This has got to be targeted at the housewife or execudork with "a nice camera" (bridge superzoom) who wants to pretend to be a photographer when they're out running errands.

Or someone who will use this as "I'm a professional photographer for X website....I'll need to get in front of this line!"

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RangerScum posted:

I think it's hilarious how a strong majority of people who bitch about HDR photos don't even know the correct terminology for things and in turn look like fools. I try and post corrections every once in a while... this is literally the ONLY part of photography that turns me into a cranky old man when people get it wrong.

HDR = High Dynamic Range

Forget the part where it says High, lets just focus on "Dynamic Range."

To learn about dynamic range, check out this site for a readup, and check out this site to see picture examples.

Dynamic range is a good thing. Take a look at Ansel Adams' landscapes. Pretty much all of them have a high dynamic range and as a result pretty much all of them look awesome. Ansel Adams didn't use photoshop and photomatix to achieve these results, he just shot medium/large format which allow a much higher dynamic range than smaller film formats. (He also was great in the bedroom darkroom.) edit: Brad Industry already mentioned the link between HDR and the Zone System- in case you didn't already know it; the zone system was developed by Ansel.

No no, nobody hates HDR. People hate tone mapping.

Since this is a photography forum that doesn't put up with much stupidity, I don't understand why people allow this pretty significant misunderstanding to keep being spread around without trying to instead educate people.

Because when people, to whom we're reacting, talk about HDR, they are talking about the tone-mapped nightmares of which you speak. Sure, we could first correct them and THEN ridicule them, but it's just easier to cut-out step one.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

poopinmymouth posted:

Post your portfolio link.

A shorter echo of Tsar: I think the point isn't, "Hey, anyone could shoot that," but rather that it's likely those are the subjects and locations anyone would shoot who shot that tribe. The similarity in subject/composition isn't particularly meaningful, alone.

Given the difficulty factor in getting to this location and these people, and the fact that this particular guide doesn't do this trip regularly, well, those are the more significant factors that lead me to conclude the second photographer was likely deliberately imitating the earlier shots.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

poopinmymouth posted:

Also I dare any of you to claim that if I took your 5 most recent images, and then tried to duplicate them as exactly as I'm able, and then put them forefront in my portfolio, you wouldn't be a little upset.

You don't stand a chance with this kind of talent.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

orange lime posted:

I wonder if that would even stand up as evidence in court. You took the photos demonstrating that you were engaged in an illegal activity, but providing them to the police would effectively be incriminating yourself, so I would think that you could use the fifth amendment to fight their being used. And in that case, would the police taking them from you count as a forced confession?

The fifth amendment is testimonial in nature. How did the police get the pictures? Did they, pursuant to a valid warrant, find them when searching your home? Can be used if they can be authenticated. Did you publish them online? They can be used if authenticated.

The guy being charged with aiding and abetting has a good case, on the face of it. He didn't arrange for the commission of the crime, he went to one already planned. He didn't aid in the planning or execution, according to him. He's basically being charged with being their lookout, which would be illegal, but he denies it and the facts don't seem to support that allegation.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RangerScum posted:

Is 10x10 even really big enough though? I realize it might be better than nothing but you would be extremely limited.

It could work, so long as you can stand outside and shoot in, which shouldn't be a problem.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

Friend of mine recently bought a Promaster (rebadged Tamron) 17-50 2.8 Nikon mount for $85.

He saw the ad on Craigslist. It was extremely succinct -- just the lens name and an e-mail. He e-mailed the guy and found out his name, and googled it <snip> it's the same name as some convicted rapist who was exonerated after like 8 years from DNA evidence. I told him to bring a knife or something when he met the guy.

8th-samurai posted:

Could certainly work for headshots or still life.

This is how I read the last two posts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Henry's just emailed me that they shipped my order. What order? I don't remember.

Finally found it...the Canon telephoto thermal mug.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Paragon8 posted:

It seems to support the "author" over just someone performing the physical act of pressing the shutter as you can argue that contribution isn't as distinct as planning the shot, directing the human tripod, setting the settings and processing the work later.

RangerScum posted:

No I definitely would not because they are not legal entities. Despite what you use humans for, they are still a person and not a tool. I'm pretty sure I have read people claiming that if you take a picture with someone elses camera, then the copyright belongs to you. I'm just trying to see where the lines are, if there are any.

The quote from Paragon8 also describes the US state of affairs. The "author" is the creative force, not the mechanical force.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bloody August posted:

Canon mug came in yesterday! :neckbeard:

I've had mine about 3 days. Good size for work mug, about 12 ounces.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Wow, that's an actual thing?

This just about blows my mind because I was in the local camera store not a week ago and laughed to myself that the one canon lens looks like a mug :psyduck:

I think I have to get one!

They are hilariously kitschy. Although, I'd kill to have an actual 70-200 f/1.4, which is what the "lens" is described as.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bloody August posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry, didn't mean to give you cancer bro. Next time I'll move my ashtray out of the frame so nobody else has to suffer.

The mug itself actually says 1:4 (the box doesn't specify), but given the amount of people who think the ratio means "f/1.4" on a lens, I'm not surprised that it would be described as such.

I just looked at the actual mug, and you're right...it's a mundane 70-200 f/4. Pfft. I wouldn't own such a thing. Pedestrian.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

spf3million posted:

It's time for another round of What Would You Take? I'm going to spend a few days hiking around around Huashan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hua. What gear would you take? I have available:
5d2
450d/Xsi
Tamron 18-270
Sigma 10-20
Canon 35/2
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 135/2
tripod

Major considerations are weight, bulk, and obviously taking pictures.

You could not talk me out of taking the 5dii, weight or not weight. I'd take it, the 35 and the 135, and tripod.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My "Canon PowerShot SD4000IS 10 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Zoom and f/2.0 Lens (Black)" is set for delivery today. Which means I'll get home, have a "we tried to deliver" note, sign the form, and they'll deliver it tomorrow.

Still, pretty psyched to have a good P&S again. The wife never ever takes pictures because she hates using the big camera.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shmoogy posted:

I think there might be some sort of thing the seller has to do on their end to enable it, because I couldn't really find anything on the search engines for UPS/Fedex. The last two packages I've received via FedEx have had a link I could click on to print out and sign, if I wanted the delivery man to leave it without anybody being there to accept the package.

I'm fairly certain UPS can do it as well, but I'm not certain how it works with them or USPS.

I think it has to be enabled upfront. I can't find a way to do it now. Of course, I'm not at home, so it won't help anyway. I have a plumber there today, maybe he'll sign for it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that smaller film/sensor size= less glass needed to go super wide.

I have an Angenieux f1.4 constant aperture zoom lens for one of my s8 movie cameras an that has a tiny light path vs a 35mm f1.4. Or are we talking about two different things here...?

The light path of the 35mm f/1.4 is larger because the lens is larger. The focal length is first converted to the relatively-easy-to-understand 35mm format, e.g. the lens is 8mm, but has the same field of view as a 24mm wide angle lens on the 35mm format, so it's simply called "24mm".

Then, the aperture of the 8mm lens is calculated for the actual lens focal length, that is, 8mm. So, f/1.4 would be 8/1.4 or 5.7mm or so. The actual size of the aperture is the same, no matter the size of the sensor.

Example: Suppose you have a Canon 7D and a 5dII. You put the 50mm f/1.0 on each. The field of view on the 7D is 80mm, while the field of view on the 5DII is 50mm. The maximum aperture on each is still 50mm, because it's the actual focal length that's divided, not the relative field of view. For exposure purposes, your brain is saying, 50mm aperture on an effective 80mm lens is not f/1.0, it's f/1.6. But it's not. The fact that only the center of the circle of light is being used instead of a larger portion of the center of the circle of light doesn't change how much light there is.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 1, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ease posted:

Ahh the old Sony Cybershots were awesome to me at the time. I used to drool over Mavicas.

This was my first digital camera : http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DCS-P30-Digital-Camera/dp/B00005I9PE

It was an awesome macro camera, I took some great photos with it on accident on several occasions.

My first digital was the Mavica FD, using the 1.4MB 3.5 inch floppies. I still have those floppy disks somewhere. Of course, I have no computer with a floppy drive.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

diarrhea for girls posted:

Welcome back buddy.

I had one of those Mavica FDs as well, it was actually a pretty awesome camera for what it was but the reliability of floppy disks left a lot to desire. I remember them sending me some promo materials about the amazing new CD-R using Mavica and my mind was blown.

The great thing about the Mavica was it's macro ability. The whole interlaced/non-interlaced photos was a pain in the rear end. For any moving object, you took "field" photos, and for full resolution, "frame". God, I loved that lovely little camera. I think my ex-roommate still has it somewhere.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
http://scottaudette.com/?p=218

quote:

An Apple WiFi iPad, a Canon 5d Mark II with a WFT-4e II A, a three-year-old linksys broadband router, a first gen REV. A, a Sprint Aircard and some duct tape … watch out, Macgruber, you’ve got nothing on us. And what did all of the above give us? A camera that took wicked awesome photos on an iPad out the window of the Reuters trailer at the Kennedy Space Center and all from the comfort of the Hampton Inn in Titusville, Florida.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

oncearoundaltair posted:

Ah, that's cats for you. Although sadly I don't have the problem anymore. :(

Maybe I should just keep my cameras in one big case or box or something. But I like being able to choose one whenever we go out somewhere - and it's easier if they're at hand.

I built a shelf in a closet for my gear. Now all that sits there is the gear I use less often (macro rail, ebay triggers, Vivitar flash) plus my battery charging station (two canon chargers, two rechargeable battery chargers). The rest of the gear stays on the desk, or in one of a couple of camera bags.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helmacron posted:

I just bought an auto-focus lens for my D3s because I felt silly having all these focus points and never ever ever ever being able to do anything with them and oh god it's good i'm a little weak at the knees. It's only a 28m F/2.8.

I'm never going to buy another big lens again, though. Only little primes for me. Unless I change my mind, and I'll have to hunt down this post and delete it so I don't look wishy-washy.

Too late. Preserved forever in quote form.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Oakland police are taking photos from flickr and publishing them, looking for looters. They haven't been asking permission to use the photos, but have been giving them to news organizations, who attribute the photos, "Provided by Oakland PD."

Bradindustry had some shots of the riots as I recall.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/16/BA7P1EETMS.DTL

http://thomashawk.com/2010/07/oakla...s.html#comments

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

I wondered about that when I saw it. OPD just laid off 80 officers and I think they are just desperate for help (between highway shootouts with right-wing crazies, ghetto snipers, and other crazy poo poo that has been going on lately).

Aren't the photos "evidence"?

They might be, and the police/prosecution could likely use them without permission for that purpose. What they probably cannot do is publish them, without attribution, to newspapers/media. Not an issue that comes up that often, though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Picked up this weekend: An Inner Silence: Cartier-Bresson's Portraits. Love it. I just don't think of him as a portrait guy. drat good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Silence-Portraits-Henri-Cartier-Bresson/dp/0500288755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280178882&sr=8-1

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Martytoof posted:

Guy who sold them can't even afford to buy a gun to off himself now, after being talked down from $70 to $45.

I always say this, but then I actually go to garage sales and they're all full of yellowed t-shirts, folding tables, and dinner plates from the 70s.

Those dinner plates could be collectible Franklin Mint plates. Were there ever Ansel Adams collectible plates?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Denver Post posted:

These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America’s rural and small town populations. The photographs are the property of the Library of Congress and were included in a 2006 exhibit Bound for Glory: America in Color.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

I posted a link to Shorpy a while back that had most of those. #43 and #70 are my favorites. I think there is a flickr stream with more of those.

Your link is to the full size, too. That shot at 43 is phenomenal.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ease posted:

How do you guys pronounce aperture?

Ap a chur.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dread Head posted:

New 120MP APS-H sensor from Canon... http://www.photographyblog.com/news/120_megapixel_canon_cmos_sensor/

Start the rumor now: The new Canon 1DMarkV will have this very sensor. Instead of 10 shots per second burst, it'll be 10 seconds per shot burst. Sure, it'll be noisy, but they'll have definitively won the megapixel battle.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm a moron, sometimes. I was doing some low light shooting this weekend at around dusk, action snapshots of torgeaux, jr. being attacked by the torgeaux family animals. Just couldn't get focus down, and I was using my 70-200 f/2.8L, which is really good. Everything soft. Suspected it was the AF used, so I switched to single shot. Nope, still not good.

Finally realized I'd been shooting Av, and hadn't changed my ISO, so I was shooting 200mm at 1/50th. Dumbass.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Paragon8 posted:

I really wonder why there isn't some kind of lock on the setting's wheel. It's frustrating to have it slip to Av when you have your M settings all dialed in or whatever.

With the battery grip, my 5Dii is huge, so when it goes in my bag, the wheel frequently gets moved. I'm pretty good about checking it out, but sometimes forget.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ZoCrowes posted:

I have a hard time believing this. I would say it's probably that people with full frame cameras are a bit more serious as photographers and are better at postprocessing. Being able to see differences in resolution at the size they are posted at in SAD is a bit ridiculous.

Hell if you compare the sensors in a 1DmkIV, a D3s and a D90 the only place that the full frame cameras really excel over APS-C is in their high ISO performance.
Source:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/439|0/%28appareil2%29/629|0/%28appareil3%29/628|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28brand2%29/Canon/%28brand3%29/Nikon

All that being said I still want a D700. I'm going to wait until they come down in price quite a bit though.

He may be referring to the shallower depth of field that's available, or the wider angles.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ZoCrowes posted:

Even then you can get a pretty drat shallow DOF with a fast lens. There are also plenty of wide angle zooms too.

Which brings me to the point that I want a fast wide angle for crop sensors dammit. Something like a 20mm f/2 would be perfect.

That's the big draw of full frame for me. I love the 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon. 14mm, truly 14mm, is loving fantastic. My 24mm f/1.8 is fun as hell also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ZoCrowes posted:

That's part of the reason I want to move to full frame. I do a lot of concert shooting and being able to get that wide and fast would be amazing. On the other hand having a fast zoom and a crop body is great for getting portrait shots at shows.

Reach versus width, the age old dilemma. The solution? 1D.