Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

brad industry posted:

When I lived in Savannah it was awful, I could never get anything done because of the flash-flood monsoons that happened every 15 minutes or so.

I like Savannah, but seriously gently caress the weather around here. It can be rainy for a week and not care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Did some reading about the digital back used in that "digital holga" someone posted in one of the other threads. It was pretty awesome, with one thing that stood out in particular: It gives you an audible beep to tell you whether your histogram is overexposed, underexposed, or generally on the money. It'll give you a high or low pitch beep if it thinks you need to correct exposure.

I think that was an awesome idea, and I'm a little disappointed that nobody (that I know) has implemented it yet. Seems like it would be much easier to just listen without taking your eye from the VF instead of chimping the histogram after every other shot or something.

If you have EV compensation at your fingertips, you could theoretically fix the problem without even moving your eye.

How is this different than the EV meter at the bottom of a view finder?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

brad industry posted:

When I get angry I kick a wall or throw something not rip my art in half, what the hell is wrong with you? Especially an Eggleston, drat son.

I spent this week moving into my friend and I's new live/work studio in an old cookie factory. I'm soooooooooooo fuckin pumped to have a massive amount of space to shoot photos in :woop:

downstairs work cave

upstairs hang out area, darkroom gonna be built soon behind where I was standing when I took this

I am going to be productive as gently caress this year.

Thats awesome. I would love to some day have something like that.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I think I posted about it in the gear thread but this seems like where the discussion is. I just built a RAID 1 backup NAS using an old P4 box I had laying around. Its running freenas (a freebsd based OS) and had 2 2TB drives in software raid 1. Im a pretty big fan so far. It was easy to set up, runs supper fast, and even with my OS drive failing (an old drive i found in the bottom of one of my drawers) it was pretty easy to recover my data. Im now running the OS off of a 512mb flash drive and all seems good. If you want to build a NAS on the cheap and have an old computer some where, I couldn't recommend it more. That said, Ive spent some time with synology NASs and they are loving awesome. They are stupid fast and have all sorts of cool options. So if you feel like dropping a few $$$ on a NAS then I would go with them.