Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Manual focus rules, dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I doubt, even if the negatives are Adams', they're worth such an obscene amount of money for the reason given in the article and by his grandson: Negatives, especially the way Adams approached them, don't contain the photo. Without Adams doing the printing, it's simply not an Adams photos.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Goddammit woot fatigue do I need to PAY you to do a write up on how you shoot your interiors?

(Because I will.)

a little

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Holy poo poo balls woot fatigue take more meds.

Awesome. Thank you, both.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Haha, what the hell is strap etiquette? I assume it's not showing your strap so people that either can't afford what you have, or have no use for it but hate you anyway don't get upset.

Nah, I didn't use any modifier. I really don't shoot food stuff that often so I'll be honest, I am not the best at it. You can see another restaurant I did here:

https://www.taylorgourmet.com

I shot every photo on the webpage, even the materials they used for the background.
Good job.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Paragon8 posted:

Great, I'm listening to Steve Jobs teach me about HDR now.

It's definitely not going away now.

At least it looks pretty decent.
Steve Jobs is now a war criminal.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Upgrade from Windows 98, scrub.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Being a photographer is loving awesome.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Helmacron posted:

Do you print that out every day?
Just make a ton of photocopies. I have a few lists for each bag, too, they're long strips. There are three on an 8.5"x11" piece of paper, I cut them up, and use one for each bag before packing everything in the car.

Really, really, good practice. Clients aren't very understanding of "Ooops forgot my battery pack cables, brb."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dunkman posted:

I have a guy driving 2 hours to "take a look at" my Tokina 11-16. I'm pretty sure he's going to buy it. He better not try to haggle!
Best way to win these battles is to be prepared to walk away from the sale. If he was ever thinking about buying it, he will.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

It's not worth it. At all. It has matrix metering and i-TTL on a film body, and that's the only thing that sets it apart. If you have a particular film that you love shooting and think it could benefit from those features, it's the body for you.

...pretty niche, hence the insane price.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Protip: after turning down your LCD brightness for a dark environment, remember to return it to its normal values afterward or you'll be wondering why the gently caress the histogram is fine but those black people are REALLY black.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I cannot figure out why Nick Nolte is in Zuckerman's 'Wisdom'.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

DJExile posted:

Far as photo books go, how do people like The Hotshoe Diaries?
I would just grab it from a library. He goes into a bit of detail, but it's more about his process, mindset, and experiences. A great read, but I own it and haven't really picked it up since I first read it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've not picked up The Moment It Clicks so I can't tell you.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dunkman posted:

Blah, just lost my pictures / music / movies drive.

Won't even get detected in any machine. I don't really get paid for this, so it's not worth it to send it off to a data recovery place.

That sucks.
Jesus Christ. Sorry.

Back your poo poo up folks. It's not hard, and it's cheap. Some of you literally cannot afford to do otherwise.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

brad industry posted:

I just set up a mirrored RAID for everything and now I can finally sleep at night.
Combine it with nightly offsite backup and I'll sleep through the Blitz.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I really do think he's just an incredible troll.

Like ten years from now some office manager in southern California is going to write a tell all for Wired about how he created this persona just to piss off the entire internet.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Makes sense from a corporate perspective, but still, drat.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Mannequin posted:

She's also married. :(
gently caress

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

guidoanselmi posted:

So I'm very seriously contemplating going to Japan in March.

Anyone have any experiences camera shopping in Shinjuku in Tokyo? I'm looking to just take my digital and a bunch of film only to buy a rangefinder the first day there. :cool:
Don't expect any deals on new equipment. It's much more expensive than in America, and the exchange rate right now is REAL poo poo if you're exchanging dollars for yen. The big camera stores have used departments in their Shinjuku locations (Bic, Yodobashi, and Sakuraya), and again, I never found any real deals; you might have different luck. Bring your passport to get out of the sales tax (which is included in any of the prices you see).

There are some great used shops, especially for film and medium/large format, but again don't expect too many deals, especially if you don't speak Japanese. On the plus side, anything you buy used is in impeccable condition. The best way to find them is to pick up a copy of Asahi Camera (magazine) and check for ads. You'll need someone with decent Japanese to read the addresses, though some have maps.

The used store Helmacron is referencing in Ginza may be Lemon Camera. Pretty well known, and they sell lots of gray market stuff.

Also, I was last in these camera stores in 2007, things may have changed since then.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 20, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

http://www.eic.net/ is the firm in that listing.

Got this (all I wanted was a response to find out who put up the listing)

quote:

If you have received this automated reply, then your email address corresponds to a name that is black-listed within our group of companies. This may be due to abuse, SPAM or failure to complete our interview process.

If you feel that you received this message in error, please call our main offices at 888-342-2436 and ask to speak to a team leader.

Please keep in mind that EIC owns and/or partners in several entities. You may not have applied to EIC itself. Your application may be blocked across several different companies.

Warmest regards,

-Sanford

e: I didn't exactly send a warm message, so I appreciate the "warmest regards."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Pretty sure he was just an assistant for someone, but I saw that too.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Tryin' to get my hands on some dollars and cents

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Helmacron posted:

I printed off a photo at 1x2m solely so the only place I can unroll it to show women is their beds.
Doing this.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That X100 looks pretty slick, but for $1100, no way, especially since I already have a 35mm on my FX body.

I know, not the same thing, but I'll hold on to the $1100 and take the camera places.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wow, that is really impressive.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Arguments about whether or not anyone could have made photograph 'X' aside, the point is, they did it and you didn't. If it's that easy, shut up and go make these supposedly simple photos and make a great living/become well known.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Anyone ever heard of http://www.wooloo.org/ ?

I've received three emails from people there in the past 6 months or so wanting me to join, each one seemingly more personalized (that last one discussing specific projects I've done). I can't tell if this is actually something that would get me shows/buyers/clients or not. It is free, though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

CarrotFlowers posted:

I thought it was mentioned here once that there's a difference between selling a photo taken on public property of someone as fine art, and selling it as like stock photography or advertisement or whatever. Is that true? And if so, is it the same or different with buildings?
That is generally true, and it is typically the case with buildings. There is a difference between selling a piece as art and using a piece as self-promotion (as that can indicate an endorsement). That's what model releases are for.

There are exceptions, of course, like this: http://www.diaart.org/sites/main/lightningfield which is explicitly defined as a work of art itself and is copyrighted.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

If I were a terrorist, I would totally set up a camera and tripod in plain view, that would be so stupid that it would be the last thing anyone will expect me to do. :v:
After having been hassled, detained, and lectured for two hours after doing just such a thing (with the same reasoning), I can say that this is not true.

If you're doing something a cop doesn't understand or thinks is silly, you're in for a long discussion.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah, here it is posted from an email I sent to a friend about three days later. This happened in June of 2007.

----

First the location: Near an airport. I'm aware that lots of people think it's a bad idea, or looks suspicious, to photograph airplanes. That's okay. It is not, however, illegal to photograph commercial airliners. There's a nice site devoted to the very professional pursuit thereof: airliners.net

I was parked in a gravel entry to a field. Across the street from me was the airport with high barbed wire fence. I was parked there for about 30 minutes, photographing, and later walked further down the road about 100 yards to get a better line on the airplanes as they approached. I had one body on a tripod with a long lens and a second camera with a wide angle lens.

About 20 minutes later, as I was getting tired of waiting on some interesting planes, I noticed a truck moving in the airport very far away and driving quickly. I said to myself as a joke "I bet they're coming for me!" Then the truck got to the gate near me. Then the truck stopped at my car. At no point did I ever look directly at the vehicle; I knew what I was going was legal. If they wanna check it out, fine. But I wasn't interested in volunteering myself for anything. So, I turned my back to the road and started taking some photos with the wide angle. I heard a truck drive up to me slowly then speed off as it passed. It went down the road, turned around, and did it again. Then it parked about 40 feet beyond my car watched me.

A few minutes later there are flashing lights near my car. I started paying attention at this point, and that's also when the police car sped toward me. The officer got out of his car and asked me what I was doing. I'll give some dialogue, most of it verbatim.

Cop: Now what do you think you're doing out here?
Me: Photographing airplanes.
Cop: Why are you doing that?
Me: Well, it's challenging. I've never done it before, and I just got this new lens and camera so I wanted to try it.
Cop: You don't think that's a bad idea, with everything going on right now?
Me: *Speechless*

So he frisked me and gave me the usual "Who are you?" etc. I slipped up big time, though. He asked me where I worked and I said I didn't have a job, I had only recently moved back to America.

poo poo. I saw the glimmer in his eye as he thought he got him one of 'dem terrists.

The background here is boring, but suffice to say he didn't seem to believe much of my reasons why I had been outside the country. Oddly enough, throughout my entire time with him he doubted everything I said EXCEPT that I had lived outside the country. He seemed to really latch on to that one. Basically believing whatever fit the narrative he had already created.

He kept asking me why I was doing this, if I thought it was a bad idea. I said no, if people really wanted photographs of airplanes for devious purposes they wouldn't stand near a busy road and photograph them, they'd get them off the internet or from a book. Then came the doozy. "You don't remember 9/11? You don't remember what happened there? That could happen again, here!"

If I had a pistol I would have splattered my brains across the top of his patrol car.

Finally he asked me for my driver's license. I didn't it on me, as it was in my car. He thought this was weird... but I wasn't driving; why would I be compelled to make sure I had my driver's license? So I had given him all my information orally, most importantly my social security number. He called in the usual background check or whatever it is cops do. And then things went to poo poo.

They had no record of me. Anywhere.

At this pointed I was on the verge of panicking. Why the hell couldn't they find any record of me? I gave him my information many, many, times. He double-checked. Triple-checked. Nothing. I did not exist. For about 20 minutes he was calling people and finding out where to take me for the FBI. The building, the floor, the office number. He was talking about how long they were going to have to detain me. I know now, thinking a bit more clearly, that he didn't know a damned thing about how the FBI worked, but sitting in the back of a police car, being called everything short of a terrorist, and not being able to prove you are who you say you are has it's ways of loving with your mind.

He keeps asking me why I was living abroad. What I was doing. Why I was doing it? Am I sure I'm not in the military? He really thinks I look like I'm in the military.

I don't know why but the fact that I was so far from my car caused a problem, or at least was important enough that he had to keep mentioning it to everyone he spoke to. He finally decided to take me back there to get my driver's license. He packed up my camera gear and we went back. Before opening my car he had a good look inside with his flashlight and walked around it a bit. He got my license number and ran it. I waited. I sweated. A lot.

I existed. The call came back that my license was valid. He had another vehicle bring paperwork to write me a parking ticket. As it turns out, I was parked illegally. There were signs I had not seen in my haste to get in a better position. I'll state now that I couldn't care less about the parking ticket and I deserved it.

He sounded a tad disappointed that I came back with no criminal record on numerous databases. After some guffawing and chit-chatting (for about 15 minutes) with the other guys, I was released with a ticket. He "had" to file a "supplemental" report with the FBI detailing what happened and my background. He mentioned that the FBI didn't "think it was a good idea" that I was photographing airplanes either. He joked with some people on the phone: "That's what I said! Why not go take some pictures of some girls or something to test it out, you know, make those pictures interesting!"

He said that the airport owned the land I was on, but I was about 7 feet from the side of the road, and there was a fence indicating a property line another 5 feet behind me. I was under the impression that the road and the land around it to any fence was considered public property, and nobody has said otherwise. He also said the airport owned the field next to me, but I don't necessarily believe him. In any case, I wasn't past the fence and therefore I believe on public property.

He departed. I got a call about an hour later: "I didn't get your eye color. Okay, and your hair? And you're sure you've never been in the military?"

At no point did anyone ever say that what I was doing was illegal. From the officer's demeanor, the things he was mentioning on the phone repeatedly, and the questions he was asking me, it seemed to boil down to the following. I was doing something he didn't agree with or understand. I had been out of the country. I wasn't in the military, but I looked like it. He had a badge, so he was going to do something about it because he had "never had one of these before."

I flew to Minneapolis last week, so apparently the FBI things I'm a red-blooded Amerakun and am safe.

I'm also well-aware he did more than one thing that he shouldn't have. He should have asked for my ID immediately. He could not take my cellphone. He could not open my car. He could not keep me in the rear of the car without a charge.

Of course, all of that goes out the window when it's he and I in a courtroom, his word against mine, and the suspicions that I was a "t-word" floating in the air.

God Bless America.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Of course, had I been photographing random women with a long lens I'm sure I would have had people on my rear end a lot faster and for a more legitimate reason.

I still remember that officer's name and badge number.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Dont talk to the police. All you need is to identify yourself. Then ask if you're free to go. If not ask if you're under arrest. If so ask on what charges and demand a lawyer. If not ask again if you're free to go. The only things out of your mouth should be "Am I free to go?" and "I want a lawyer."
This gets thrown around a lot. It's good advice if 1) you have at all anything to be concerned about as far as possible actual charges or 2) you are in a place with other people watching or 3) you have the time/money to deal with the courts.

But let's face it: if a cop is set on doing something, he's gonna loving do it then sort it out in the court while getting overtime and with the entire department and police union at his back.

In a rural Oklahoma field with just a cop that thinks I'm a terrorist? Sorry, gonna answer some questions. I didn't have medical insurance.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

robertdx posted:

From one Okie to another: This wasn't in Tulsa right?
No, south of Will Rogers

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Elite Taco posted:

I was going to spend my lunch hour looking at various bits of photo gear and caught myself thinking: "I don't want any more photo gear, I want more photo shoots!"
This should be the forum title.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

A lot of people on facebook are eager to look like they know something. On the internet.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

So I've booked a trip up Kilimanjaro next summer, and I'm already thinking about what camera gear I'm going to take.

Do I shoot film, or take my 400D? Both? Take my MF camera?

Argh.
This is a way back, but: get a small, light tripod. And take less equipment than you think. I had one body, two lenses, and a normal tripod and I was only changing elevation between 4000 and 7000 feet last summer and I was cursing my 7 lbs. tripod/ball head. You're going through hell of a lot more than that.

Pack light.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

evil_bunnY posted:

You need to for-serious stop sharing your pictures with your employer.
Don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

William T. Hornaday posted:

Well, I just talked to the director of HR and he's almost as bad as everyone else. Despite the fact that I brought a printout of the relevant passages of Title 17 and explained what work-for-hire entails, the company apparently still feel that not only do they have complete and total ownership on anything that I've taken on the clock (which is not the case with 99% of my photos), but that anything taken on my weekends from public areas with my own equipment fall into some sort of gray area and are still somehow partially theirs due to me being employed by them (on other days of the week) and the photos having some value/interest to the company.

Sucks for them, because I will never bring a photo of mine within 500 yards of work as long as I'm alive.
They're basically saying "take us to court or shut up." They know you won't because you will instantly be fired if you do, and you're almost certainly going to lose because you have a lot less money.

It sucks. Moral of the story: Work and photos don't mix in any way whatsoever.

e: Unless you have a contract that has been reviewed by your attorney.