Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I'm starting to read reviews of the Lytro. Surprise, they're poo poo.

For example: http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/08/lytro-camera-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

8th-samurai posted:

Other boards are terrible.
This is generally true. However, if you get involved with you local arts community you'll probably find lots of awesome people.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Or you could realize that people are in different stages of development and you made some really lovely photographs once, too. Maybe you still do and people are always trying to hide their disgust from you!

So it's in everyone's interest to just be nice and always be improving and always be humble.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

You can give people advice while still being polite. That's what I mean.

I advocate getting involved in your own arts community (not a photo club that meets at a library or something) because of the diversity. I've learned a tremendous amount in the last two years or so of being involved with city and state level arts organizations. I only know a few other photographers, and I see this as a good thing. It's made me start looking at photography as only my avenue to visual arts production, and I don't think about all the technical aspects I used to be engrossed with. I'm much better at thinking about WHY I'm photographing and what I'm trying to communicate. It's made me write critically about my own work and others'.

Online photography communities I've decided are great for looking at photos, but all most people want are to be told they're doing good or they're looking for improvement tips as long as they fall within a narrow scope of expected criticism. Anything else is ignored and argued against and does no good.

Becoming part of your local arts community makes you do all the things you talk about doing online. Galleries, juries, curators, grant administrators, and the public don't care what lens you have or what ISO you used. They care about the end photograph. And you should too.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Awkward Davies posted:

I just got out of grad school so I'm looking around for jobs. This means spending a lot of time on craigslist. Just found this one:

Oh and also
Stay away.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

It looks like poo poo, they haven't done anything.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The fact that he didn't disclose a very crucial element of his process (and pretty obviously because he knew it would cause controversy) is dishonest and I would drop him in a heartbeat.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Whether or not he legally purchased the appropriate rights from the copyright holder of the images, not including "I take images others have made and manipulate them" in your artist statement is deliberately misleading and the audience is right to assume the artist has created everything in a piece unless stated otherwise. Calling yourself a "photo media artist" and expecting anyone to know that means you find images on stock websites and edit them with a Wacom is so shady I don't know where to begin.

Every work I have ever encountered that uses an object, image, sound, etc. not created by the artist has had it stated clearly either in a title card, artist statement, or didactic. There is zero excuse for his actions, he intended to mislead. There's no way an artist, even one at age 30, is this ignorant (believe me, I work with a lot of them).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That 70s Shirt posted:

So Google apparently just bought up Nik Software, which is too bad because while I only use Silver Efex Pro 2 myself, I've heard that pretty much all their software is kick-rear end.

Google's probably only interested in Nik Snapseed so that Android will have a competitor to Instagram, and will likely either sell off the pro software if they can or just let it die. (They have a history of doing that to companies they buy.) :(

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/09/17/google-acquires-nik-software.aspx/
You're probably right and this really sucks.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

As long as the jorts are left blue as well, go for it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I used to order prints online. Matte, glossy, or "pearl" finish, or that terrible metallic paper, the usual options. About two years ago I started having them printed at a local place run by just a few people. The quality is miles better. I can select any paper I like, I do endless test prints (which you really, really, have to do y'all), no shipping wait, I get a discount because I have a state tax ID, and I'm supporting someone who does excellent work in my city and who supports the arts community.

I saw a show by a photography last night. Fantastic work. Huge prints. However he clearly had it printed from some online order place that just used some random Kodak paper. The quality was distracting and overshadowed his work, it wasn't being done justice.

There are so many, many, examples of poor printing ruining my impression of work. There's another HUGE artist showing locally whose work is also overshadowed by poor prints (I'm purposefully not going into details). Printing should be taken especially seriously, especially in 2012 when most images don't see paper. By printing something you are making a statement, "I chose this because it stands out far above the others and it demands your attention."

That $35 16x20 canvas print doesn't look like a very good deal at all.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Paragon8 posted:

With weddings it's probably going to endure a lot more but in other fields it isn't the smartest thing to "buy" a style as recognisable as VSCO presets. Even if your content and everything else is great, VSCO is immediately going to stand out and almost anyone familiar with photography trends is going to be like "oh this guy uses VSCO" and there's going to someone as good as you that isn't using VSCO.

and yeah, things do get played out in photography. Less so in weddings because the clients don't follow trends as much but even so they are there.

It's not that it looks less nice (even though that's subjective) because everyone uses it, but that everyone know's where it's from. It's awkward like showing up to a costume party with a store bought costume that five other people are wearing.

VSCO are very savvy, they've done a lot of stuff like giving away presets to bloggers and stuff and market it well.
Brides don't care about any of this. If I shot weddings I'd buy that poo poo in a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

moral of the story: don't get married.