Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Radbot posted:

What if you put these inside an adobe? Adobe adobe? What if Adobe made the adobe? Adobe adobe Adobe?

Well, for one thing, adobe is a building material, not a type of house, and just because something is inside something else it doesn't mean that that object is necessarily "from" (or of), as implied by your sentence, the containing object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Martytoof posted:

I wonder if she knows how to use it, or if she's just shooting in Auto :v:

Haha what?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
If you can't justify your own photographs then why are you taking them, much less submitting them to a contest?

Coffee is definitely related to food, if they ask you to argue it say that you drink it and sometimes make desserts with it.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

pwn posted:

Thank you for calling me stupid.

You are stupid.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Augmented Dickey posted:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=349

what the gently caress is this

It's a cheap digital camera that people call the "digital holga" because it's so cheap. Like a holga. Complex.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

XTimmy posted:

Put a bullet in me.
I suppose I should be nice since this is probably great fun to play round with but jesus christ it's everything I hate about my peers: Film-Faggotry, useless vignetting and dead on flashes all in a camera.

What is it about other people taking photos the way they want that makes you so upset as to use the word "fag" as a pejorative?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Well, fwiw, Holgas were around a long time before that style was ever popular or trendy. They were designed as inexpensive cameras for poor/middle class families in China.

e: you shouldn't be concerned with offending me there are far worse things in the world than some guy appropriating a group of people to describe his displeasure about people who like shooting film. I would be more worried about nobody taking you seriously because you are acting like a careless bigot.

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 11, 2010

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

FasterThanLight posted:

I think it was more of a stupid joke than an insult, but I believe it was in that thread about the guy who sold his Leica M3 for drug money.

Apologies if I'm thinking of somebody else.

You might want to read that thread again.

I know that when somebody says "gearfag" or "filmfag" or "whateverfag" they aren't often trying to be marginalising or subjugating to gay people but it is such an ignorant thing to do. Whether you mean it or not using the words "gearfag" or "filmfag" is basically the same thing as saying "that human being who likes/uses gear/film" and that's pretty clearly not ok.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

XTimmy posted:

I realise goons don't take admissions of guilt seriously because hey it's much more fun to tear a guy to shreds than pretend he's a human being right? But I feel sincerely guilty for making GBS threads up this thread. I meant no offence, I replied flippantly because, again, goons; we're all sarcastic fucks at each other's throats. By editing my post out I had hoped to avoid a page worth of debate regarding how offensive "human being" is in different contexts.

I appreciate that you made that concession but really it's not you specifically that I'm tearing down. There are a lot of people that still think that it's ok to reappropriate the word fag as an insult when it really isn't. It's not funny, clever, or innocent. I'm not really sorry for derailing the thread in order to clarify that again.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Dont be obtuse, he's just pointing out the obvious that there is no reason why any photo needs a geotag to be good.

or, rather, that a geotag doesn't make a bad photo a good one

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 5, 2010

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Especially since there are probably a lot of carpenters who do exactly that.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
He's not talking about picture quality he's talking about the brand. You can buy a Nikon DSLR and you can buy a Nikon film camera the difference is is that the digital camera is going to be in part manufactured and designed by a company other than Nikon where all the components in the film camera are Nikon products. It doesn't really matter much to me becuase I dont use Nikon cameras anyway but I can understand why someone who had invested themselves into the brand before would have mixed feelings about the sensor being designed by a ostensible competitor. Really though if a product is good I'll use it and it doesn't matter who made it, generally though products with a unified brand sell better than ones that don't and its no surprise that Nikon doesn't make pains to advertise their Sony sensor.

edit: Obviously not all of the components in a Nikon camera, digital or no, are proprietary Nikon products and my point pertains more to parts of the camera as integral as a sensor where it seems strange from a branding perspective that Nikon wouldn't take ownership of the design.

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 7, 2010

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Well whats the problem then

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Leica makes some pretty nice cameras I guess

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
"That'll be $600 your proofs are in the mail"

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
But actually it depends on the shoot, if you are shooting for yourself then I don't think that would require any apology, sometimes its fun to talk with your model about what you're shooting for and why but for personal work there should be no obligation to spend any more time than it takes to get what you want. Generally for personal work I would use people I know anyway so I usually do additional glamour portraits or whatever just for fun afterwards.

I don't do much commissioned work but in those instances I just talk to the model during the shoot as a way of making them comfortable with the camera (as well a way for me to get more comfortable with them) it helps too if they have a friend present that you can involve or even take photos of afterwards. I don't mind taking a few extra shots or using another roll of film if it means a happier model and/or better outcome for the shoot.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Interrupting Moss posted:

Don't apologize at all. Use that as an opportunity to show clients you respect the value of their time.

When I wrap up a shoot after 10 shots or so I'm thanked for being prepared and efficient with my client's time.

There are a lot of people who can do background research, meetings, negotiations, testing, etc. and then great shots if you give them an hour; getting the same shots done in ten minutes is what's worth the money (your's and the client's).

e: This is no longer "fun stuff" so

farts

This is a good point too. It's all about what your model expects really, if you are up front that it will only take a few minutes to shoot a set then they have no reason to be disappointed. This is especially the case if you work with your client beforehand laying out exactly what your process is and how you are going to carry out the actual shoot.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Leica makes probably the best rangefinders out there that also have some of the best glass made for them. They have been marketed very intelligently and have become very much a cool designer brand that also holds a reputation for quality which unfortunately means that they are also relatively expensive. As a function of human society some people talk about Leica cameras like there is no alternative and other people complain, for some reason, that the cameras exist and that people actually like them.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Yes, definitely. lol.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

pwn posted:

Because of the awkward parsing of the title, whenever I see the Polaroid thread, I read it as

code:
Pola

Roids come get your fix

congratulations you got the joke

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Good thing its just a patent and not a concept made by some fuckshit industrial designer or else I'd have to get really mad

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

squidflakes posted:

Even with the lighting and retouching the pictures look really noisy to me. REALLY NOISY.

They were taken with an iPhone

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

rcman50166 posted:

So does anyone here listen to TWIP (This Week in Photography)? Is there any back story to why they seem to be obsessed with iPhones?

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

When I saw that, I felt it was only half serious. I know that they do some crazy things for food styling, but the cheese puller hand model lady is out of control.

Uh did you watch the whole thing? It's an advertisement.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

BeastOfExmoor posted:

• Crop to a defined ratio (very useful if cropping for printing purposes).
  • Rotates the photo so that you're always seeing a level view (I find leveling horizons is much easier in Lightroom for this reason).
  • Doesn't let you drag outside of the "canvas" thereby creating a crop with blank space in it.

fake edit: Ok, it apparently does do the first thing, it's just not very obvious.

It also lets you do the third thing if you drag the sides of the crop box after initially setting the crop and there is a whole other tool for rotating the entire scene.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Yeah it actually does help stability quite a bit because the tension on the string not only braces the camera to a consistent height but also helps you keep the camera at a fairly consistent orientation. Obviously it's not as good as a tripod or even a monopod but in a pinch it's better than nothing.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Spedman posted:

I fully appreciate what your saying, I really digged his photos but that was before I knew who he was or what he's like. I don't think I can separate him from his work, primarily as he's in a lot of it. And I think the other problem I have is imitators doing really crap versions of his work and calling it edgy. But this is all a photographic amatuer's opinion. :v:

To be honest Terry Richardsons personality only makes his work more interesting to me

edit: I'm not really sure what you mean by what you said, what is it about him that makes you dislike his work?

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 6, 2010

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

nonanone posted:

Good news! I made into the film class I wanted, and the prof is going to let me use a friend's hassel. So now I'll get to learn the mysterious ways of the darkroom. Also, nyfw!

On Terry Richardson, I definitely feel the same way as spedmen. His photography has a lot of merit, but it's kind of creepy and predatory. I always feel like of skeezy looking at his stuff.

The first thing you should learn about the mysterious ways of the darkroom is that Hasselblad is shortened to Hassey

-

edit: Also, the "is this art or is it obscene" is one of the oldest debates in art and Terry Richardson's work and the response embodies it perfectly. On top of that Richardson's stuff is not even the most "racy" stuff out there, you can cite uncomfortable models until your face turns blue but there are other sketchy rear end dudes out there that get just as much if not even more acclaim than him.

edit2: also don't even try to talk like pretty much all "UrbEx Photography" isn't uninspired garbage

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 8, 2010

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

I HATE CARS posted:

How is Araki sketchy? Dude is absolutely awesome and seems to be super nice.

I'm saying he's about as sketchy as Terry Richardson

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

evil_bunnY posted:

Dorkroom right there.

:tipshat:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Do you really expect to be able to pay $25 for an unwatermarked 8x10? Regardless of whether or not you own the rights to that photo probably you're going to want to talk to a person at National Geographic about it and not complain about the form people send in when they want to get a copy of Giraffe Baby and Afghan Girl to hang up in there office.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

pwn posted:

You paid $10 for an account here. Do you think that was solely so SA could make money?

Yes?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Yes, I remember that. It was also in like 1999 or 2000 when the idea that Something Awful could be Lowtax's sole source of income wasn't even a glimmer in his eye. Similarly National Geographic in the past has held and sponsored contests that were free to enter and had big prizes. Do you actually think that Nat Geo is concerned that they would get too many low quality submissions? They have that reader photo page at the beginning of their issues and as far as I know there is no fee to submit to that. It's a no-brainer that less people are going to submit crappy photos if there is an entrance fee but $15 is not going to stop anybody with more money than sense (a common breed on photo forums) from submitting a whole stack of bullshit.

In any case, even if the registration fee on Something Awful was still meant to be a mechanism for keeping out trolls and undesirables it's certainly not doing a good job. GBS and every other big forum is pretty much indistinguishable from 4chan or whatever excepting that there are rules here about typing with proper punctuation. You don't have to look long in this forum until you see a dumb meme or someone making GBS threads on a thread for no good reason or someone talking about their anal lining falling out or whatever.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You've never been to GBS or 4chan.

Well then I'll err to your expert opinion.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Mannequin posted:

Don't you think there's a disservice in not being constructive, though? Telling someone they have no hope of making it in the industry and they should get out now is one thing and may be completely necessary at times, but telling someone their work is flawed during a critiquing session without explaining why just seems like a disservice. More than that, I think it damages. I'm not mincing my words, I think tough criticism is sometimes the best, even if it's a little over the edge. But those kids seem impressionable and obviously they are vulnerable in a situation like that. I would think his harsh criticism could have been met with solid backing, if for no other reason than to humor them. It is like a math class.

In math class a cross photoshopped on the white house would pass because the assignment is images that depict culture and an image of the white house with a cross certainly depicts a view of American culture. In art class it fails because that is honestly one of the dumbest most obvious loving ideas I've ever heard. Art isn't solve for x and show your work, it's do something interesting in an interesting way, I don't care how or what as long as it's interesting. A student who can't figure out what that means and how to do it is not going to be successful in a conceptual art class that is actually trying to teach them something instead of just patting them on the back because they have some boneheaded idea of "what's really going on in society."

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Mannequin posted:

For the two to be comparable you'd have to say the challenge was to depict culture in a meaningful way, otherwise there would be no way for the two to arrive at the same conclusion.

But I wasn't comparing art to math, I was comparing the professor's teaching methods to teaching methods you would find in a math class. A good math teacher will explain why a student solved a problem incorrectly, showing examples of what he could have done differently to get it right. I think the same could have been done with the professor in the video. It's no good if you just say "you did it wrong" or "it sucks" without providing substantial backing to your statement if you have any hope of the student actually learning anything. In that sense, teaching art is (or should be) like teaching math.

I am essentially responding to the professor's quick one-liners - "this is boring" or "this sucks", etc. I think he did an okay job getting his point across about why the restaurant shots were a failure, but overall he did a crappy job explaining himself.

The method is NECESSARILY different because in art there is nothing to solve incorrectly!! When someone hands in an improperly solved question in math you can tell them exactly how to make it right and show them where they went wrong. In art class when you hand in an assignment and the idea is bad it's not because you took a wrong turn with your figures. The prof can't just come in and straighten out your error because the error is endemic in the way you think and your dedication to the craft not simply in poor execution. If the student is someone who honestly thinks that a cross on the white house is a valuable piece of art and aren't just lazy then there is probably nothing a prof can do for them beyond saying "this is obvious and stupid".

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

brad industry posted:

This is my favorite quote in the history of everything

John Ruskin: "The labour of two days is that for which you ask two hundred guineas?"
James Whistler: "No. I ask it for the knowledge I have gained in the work of a lifetime."

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

VomitOnLino posted:

Don't have anything to add really, but:

If you still had any trust in this man's judgement, digest this:
Dorkroom darling Ken Rockwell uses tripods (in bright daylight) and filter protectors. :laugh:

I don't use no stinking tripods.
Nor "UV" filter protectors.

There are a lot of reasons to use a tripod in bright day light :)

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
No Advice, just fun stuff. For example referring to woman as holes to be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

squidflakes posted:

Lighten up, Francis. Obviously this statement can be applied equally well to men, its just a different group of holes.

I'm glad that you're a thinking egalitarian but objectifying a man is just as bad as a women hombre