Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I dunno, it sounds like you'd be the directors bitch. You'd scout out fantastic framing and shooting angles, and then he'd want bullet time and dolly zoom vertigo effects (which is awesome by the way) in every scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Mannequin posted:

Extremely rare Nikon lens for sale up on eBay right now:

Close-up photo

. . . .

According to douchebag Ken Rockwell, only 350 were made back in the 1970's and very rarely do they show up in the used market. Bids for this auction start $17,633.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/13mm.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n09_e.htm

...I'm not sure I would want it though. Seem almost like a liability because of its rarity and price tag.

I see your rare and wonderful, and raise you a rarer and wackier 6mm Fisheye

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

pwn posted:

I've been doing TV work for years before getting into photography. Only very recently have I even started to grasp the basic notion of film cinematography, though, coming from a TV background. Everything I've ever shot is shot like a TV talk/music show, which is great for TV talk/music shows and not so great for everything else.

Leatherheads has some damned fantastic work as a straightforward picture, and The Fountain is a great example of creative lighting, very similar in function to that of Apocalypse Now's cinematography. I want to be a DP when I grow up.

But seriously, you talk about poaching ideas, The Fountain is crazy. I was watching some of the supplemental features yesterday morning, it's amazing the ways the DP dreamed up to tell this story. For that matter the documentaries on the disc are unlike 95% of the tripe on the typical DVD which is "it was so much fun shooting with actor" :suicide:

I loved The Fountain as a film, I'll have to rewatch it for the cinematography.

One thing that I've got to add.. I've been rewatching Buffy and Angel recently, and I'm falling in love with their use of light, or should I say, dark. It seems like its a pitch black canvas in most scenes, and light's used sparingly to open up only certain parts of the shot.. I love it.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I've been toying with the idea of making a facebook page for my photography business, but really, it's a bitch. You either need to watermark them like gently caress, deal with lovely jpeg compression, or do something else.

I'm more than happy to let a combination of lightroom, my blog, my website, and flickr comprise my workflow, without adding in all the steps involved in throwing them onto facebook too.

With LR3 directly exporting to a flickr photostream, it's going to be more and more of an effort to involve facebook in the workflow. Barely makes the effort worth it.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Providing that she's not crediting you with the shittyness of them, Let them go.

I've had clients steal my photos, edit them, then retain the credit to my name.. I've told them to take em down.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

worth mentioning the fountain used no CGI for the nebula/bubble special effects

Realy? wow.. where can I find more information on it?
DVD BTS or something?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
OK team.

I've just spent half the day taking photos of coffee for a photo essay competition.

I now realize the the competition says its subject is "Food, or anything related"

I'm concerned that if I entered it, they'd turn around and say "Not food." so I'm hoping to plead a bit of a case with my entry..

Ways that coffee can be related to food.. go!

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
What's the best response to "Wow those photos are great, you must have an awesome camera" that you've heard/said?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I'd be too worried that someone would sideswipe it.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
from a google

"This is the only ultra-telephoto lens in the world capable of taking photographs of objects 18 to 32 miles away (30km to 52kms away)"

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
FYI.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

dunkman posted:

Yeah but there's no contract since it's just me going "hey hold this while I drain the lizard."

But what you guys say makes sense, I can't publish the pics as my own (since they're not mine) but he can't make me give them to him.

Not that this is a problem or anything, just curious.

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in New Zealand, on top of this, (unless specified otherwise via contract etc) the copyright is held by the person/people in the photo. So if someone took a photo of you, they couldn't sell it or distribute it without your permission.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Is it a worry when I look at the more recent Suicide Girls sets and don't see T&A anymore, it's just fill-light this, strobe that, grid this.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Is there a particular type of double sided tape that you fashion shooters use?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Yea, for clothes. Sticking cloth to skin, without it hurting :)

Just wondered if i should be looking for anything in particular. It's just a smalltime trial shoot, but i need some tape of some sort.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Has anyone used The Turning Gate lightroom gallery templates?

Tempted to buy them, they look drat good as far as lightroom generated websites go.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

psylent posted:

Yep I do. They work brilliantly, totally worth it and the paypal integration is fantastic too.

I did a quick cyberstalk and found your main photography website, what TTG products did you use to create that? I'm loving the fading etc.

I was planning on using just TTG Pages and then finding third party flash for any galleries or slideshows I might need

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 7, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

psylent posted:

Quoting from way back, but:

My site is built on Wordpress with a hacked up theme (fullscreen) from these guys: http://graphpaperpress.com/

I use the TTG stuff for the private galleries. :)

Yea, i realised you used a version of fullscreen when I tried to find a new theme for mine.

I had a hell of a time trying to get Fullscreen working on my blog, ended up giving up actually. Even with all the chmod's in the world, I couldn't get the main page thumbnails to show up

Playing around with a new one at the moment, but would still love to get Fullscreen working.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 19, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

psylent posted:

Yeah I had trouble with that as well, ended up paying a coder friend of mine to pull random thumbnails from a dedicated folder.

From what I understand it's supposed to display thumbnails from blogposts, I've got a fairly basic understanding of webpage coding so a lot of it was waaaaay over my head.

Looks like you're using the same theme as http://www.boudist.com/ :)

I had a bit of a play around last night.. you're right, it's supposed to pull thumbnails from posted pictures and link to the releative posts.

From checking out your site, I've figured out how to assign certain photos to the thumbnails and link them, but they're static, they don't move.. Might have to play around some more :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Yay for calling up at the last minute and getting a media pass to previously sold out expo's. Absolutely nothing wrong with just asking :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Just what the world of photography needs, more camera lenses shapped like rocket launchers.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Behind the scenes look at the Miss USA racy photoshoots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmvOaDIOJGo&feature=player_embedded!

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Personally I still use http://kleel.nfshost.com/oilu.html for linking to Flickr from any forum.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

brad industry posted:

I thought I read on PDN that they were having massive legal/financial problems and that was why they did the show.

Every photo industry related show is so terrible, now I know why people in the restaurant industry hates Top Chef.

Totally unrelated but I know a few chefs that love Iron Chef Japan ;D

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Ballistic Photon posted:

Is there any general consensus on Ken Rockwell around here? I see people often linking to his site on other photography forums. I just can't find myself getting into anything he has to say. After hearing how I'm an idiot for using a tripod during the day because he failed to account for the multitude of reasons why someone might use one, and being told to use the FART system for better photos, I felt I was done with Mr. Rockwell.

Should I give him another chance?

He's very much a "Don't bother buying a lens with image stabilizing, I don't, so you will of course never need one either." kind of guy.

He seems to know what he's talking about, but his point of view is THE WAY. Oh so many statements that he tells as fact, are just his misguided opinion.

His reasoning behind the tripod thing. "These indoor and night shots are hand-held. Tripods are for the weak. I stack the odds in my favor by firing bursts of several shots in the Continuous shutter mode and sorting out the sharpest later"

Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker.

When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer physically discarding photos.

When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 5, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
What's the rules around vote begging?

I've got a small photography comp that I'd love to have SA's support behind by posting it here (just in this thread), but I don't wanna get banhammered :(

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Helmacron posted:

I think it depends on your entry.

It's for gig & concert photos..

That's the image I'm entering.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Cheers, but i've already entered it, just wondering now if I can pimp it here safely :P

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

brad industry posted:

Nope, don't want to start that. Spam your facebook or whatever like everybody else.

Figured as much.. cheers for the clarification.. (worth throwing in the forum rules?)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

spog posted:

But they didn't have any problem with the fake grain being applied? That surprises me.

Looks like they didn't give a crap until there was direct content manipulation.

You could have tone mapped and filtered the poo poo out of it, but as soon as you photoshop a hair out of place, they'll deny the entry.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I just watched the first episode of Double Exposure.

Very interesting to see how anal some photographers (and clients) can get on a shoot!

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Does anyone have a "go-to" page or quote of Ken's that just shows how much of a tool he is, to show any Ken believers?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
For now, I've had enough of street, events and the odd landscape shoot, so I'm jumping in the deep end and organizing my own editorial shoot.. Will be an interesting test.

It's a lot to organize :P

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

"There is no unsuck filter."

Love it.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
It really grinds my gears when people rebuttal my critique.

Him: Hey guys give me critique on this photo.
Me: Right side looks fantastic, lots of detail, left side looks far too blown out, needs more detail.
Him: jokes on you i did that on purpose. The blown out part is suppose to be the sun, so it makes sense.
Me: :rolleyes:

If it needs an explanation as to "why it looks good", maybe it's not?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
It was on the Fstoppers Facebook group, so I kinda expected slightly higher standards of people than your average Flickr group.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
What the crap is with Facebook photographers being like "Well, I've got 100 likers and a few cool photos, guess I can teach workshops now!"

Been so many come up lately, it's crazy.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Colour theory time.

When matching colours to be complementary, should i be using a RGB (light) or a RBY (ink) palette?

I'm thinking ink because it's more visual on a static surface, but red looks so sexy with cyan, I'm thinking RGB looks awesome.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Anyone know of a free app/webpage that'll tell you precisely what direction sun/moon rise/set will be located?

I know of TPE etc, but it's a little expensive for my tastes.

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/the-photographers-ephemeris/id366195670?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
TPE desktop is fricking perfect for what I was after.

I have the Night Sky app for real time planet/star plotting, I was just after a "when can I have a Manhattanhenge in my own city" moment, and TPE gave me exactly that.

November 1, apparently.