Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Sasquatch! posted:

I really wanted to like this keyboard because I liked it's added functionality, but I absolutely hated the feel of it. YMMV of course.

I still swear by the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000. They keys feel fantastic, and it has play/pause and volume keys. The only thing I wish it had was a built-in USB hub, but other than that, it's perfect.

Ugh, our school has these and I absolutely abhor them. My hands slip on the keys and I typo all over the place. If you like short key travel and a "smooth" typing feel then I'm sure you'll like it, but I tend to prefer the exact opposite. I guess keyboards really are one of the most variable parts depending on what you prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

TheQat posted:

That is the version I got.

There's three different keyswitches available: Cherry MX Brown, Blue, or Black.

Thanks for all of that information.

I guess I would really need to try the different types of keyboards available to see the difference. It's hard to picture "feeling a small bump", etc. :)

Are there any cheap brown and blue switch keyboards available so that I could see the difference?

I also see a few IBM Model M's for sale (cheap) just to see what all the hype is about but they seem to have a lot of different versions, etc.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks for all of that information.

I guess I would really need to try the different types of keyboards available to see the difference. It's hard to picture "feeling a small bump", etc. :)

Are there any cheap brown and blue switch keyboards available so that I could see the difference?

I also see a few IBM Model M's for sale (cheap) just to see what all the hype is about but they seem to have a lot of different versions, etc.

I can't speak to the Model Ms, but I don't think there are any cheap Cherry switch keyboards out there, unfortunately. They're just much more expensive to make than other boards.

I would say that the MX Brown (Tactile Touch) is the most like any normal $20 keyboard you could get anywhere. The activation bump is really hard to notice under any normal circumstances and it's really mostly characterized by the fact that the letter appears on your screen before the key travel is finished. Also, like most normal keyboards, it's pretty quiet. It will still take some getting used to because the touch needed is so light and the keys are so responsive, but it only took me a few days to love it.

If you already know you like clicky keys, go with the Blue switches. If you hate making typos, I guess, go with the Black.

Incidentally, you can see the switches in action (for whatever that's worth) and hear them (worth a lot more) here http://www.viddler.com/explore/HotHardware/videos/69/

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

mmmm, black straight hair.
Can people talk about the Frogboard? I'm really interested in this and the "Cyber Snipa" given that at some point I'll transform my current PC into a media centre for an as yet to be purchased HDTV and buy a new machine. I'd really like to be able to do some armchair gaming and one of these gaming boards, plus a frogpad and a trackball seems like it really might be just the ticket!

Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a Frogboard if there's any of you out there reading this thread.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

TheQat posted:

The Black switches (termed "Linear Force" on elitekeyboards) have no click or bump in the key travel, and I suppose they're activated only when you press them all the way down. They require 80 grams of pressure to activate, so they're quite a bit stiffer than the Blue or Brown switches (for reference, I think my Unicomp Model M clone requires 75 grams of pressure).

I've never seen a review of a keyboard with the Black switches, but they're presumed to be good for gaming because it would be more difficult to make accidental keypresses. Requiring even more pressure than my Model M clone sounded to me like it would make typing a bit of a chore, though.

To answer your other question, I think the Das Keyboard uses the Cherry MX Blue switches.

Pulling a key off my Deck shows me a black switch, which is definitely linear in feel. However, the character appears about 50% of the way through the keypress as far as I can determine.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

TheQat posted:

I would say that the MX Brown (Tactile Touch) is the most like any normal $20 keyboard you could get anywhere.
So what's the benefit of the keyboard? It's over 6x the price of a $20 keyboard. :)

I wish I could just try them all out to see what I like...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Vinlaen posted:

So what's the benefit of the keyboard? It's over 6x the price of a $20 keyboard. :)

I wish I could just try them all out to see what I like...

It's the most like any $20 keyboard in the sense that it doesn't have a clicky response (Blue switches), nor does it take 80 grams of pressure to activate the keys (Black switches). Naturally, it couldn't be further from a $20 board in terms of quality :) So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are used to $20 keyboards and you have to buy a Filco board blind (i.e. without having used one), I'd get the Tactile Touch.

emdash fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 22, 2009

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31

These guys are a bit crazy about keyboards but there are a lot of reviews, pictures, and discussions about all the different types of switches etc. They even have sound clips of different keyboards... Most people over there recommend brown switches for gaming over black.

My Saitek EII started wearing out after about 6 months (2nd saitek) because they are about as terrible as Logitech keyboards. After browsing the geekhack forums and not seeing anything positive about Deck I bought a Filco FKBN104M/EB. It finally got here today and I love it already. It's the best keyboard I've ever used.

This is also a decent option if you want a mechanical switch keyboard but a few people at geekhack had some problems with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823224001&Tpk=abs%20m1

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I'm in love with my Apple USB Aluminum KB, mostly as it goes perfectly with my 13" MBP. However, I absolutely despise Apple's decision on making crappy mice with a horrible nipple thing that gets dirty every other day and is an absolute nightmare for gaming.

It'd be nice if they released an illuminated keyboard though, would surely be THE perfect keyboard. Apple should really look into releasing a windows version of it too.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31

These guys are a bit crazy about keyboards but there are a lot of reviews, pictures, and discussions about all the different types of switches etc. They even have sound clips of different keyboards... Most people over there recommend brown switches for gaming over black.

These guys are nuts. It's like a forum for meth addicts who all treat it like a normal hobby, except for keyboards.

Edit:

We got your anime in your keyboards so you can

Jetfire fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 23, 2009

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
How can you have a Keyboard Megathread without including the granddaddy of them all in the OP?

The Optimus Maximus OLED Keyboard: US$ 1692.31
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Want QWERTY? Ok. Want DVORAK? Ok. Want Photoshop? Ok.

Want to watch :siren: this :siren: gif on 113 48x48 OLED displays? Ok.

Can't remember what keybind you put fireball for your mage in WoW? Look down at the icon!

Did I mention that it is also mechanical?

:swoon:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Happy Hacking Keyboard, bitches

I've coded OSes, compilers, countless scrapers, and slayed a shitload of Internet dragons and Alliance scum with that keyboard. Portable enough to drag along in most backpacks, I never had to deal with remapping ctrl and capslock while using it... ever.

Too bad I was stupid and opened it up to clean it out and didn't let it dry long enough :( Only reason I didn't buy another one is because I don't slay Internet dragons and I reach for my beer more than my escape key because I'm using Eclipse :smithicide:

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

This is the best keyboard ever.

- Compact
- Nice to press keys
- Large spacebar
- Decent home/end/del/insert config (not stupid compact with large del key)
- Proper F buttons
- No stupid superfluous poo poo
- USB hub (1.0 unfortunately)
- Dial volume control.

I want one so bad (I use one at work), but I can't find it ANYWHERE, especially a UK version. Help, goons?

Model Camper posted:

4lyfe

Seriously, I use this thing with everything. I keep it in my backpack at all times. I use it with my 15" MBP when I don't feel like dealing with the heat of the computer (freaking unibodies). I use it with my Mac Mini at home in my living room. I use it with my Nokia E71 to take notes in class instead of using a full laptop. In fact, the only place I don't use this keyboard is at work, where I use a 10+ year old MS split keyboard.

Now if only Apple would create a Bluetooth version of the MBP's giant multi-touch trackpad I'd be in heaven.

Care to tell me more about this E71 setup. Do you use the keyboard with bluetooth? What is the battery like? How good is the E71 for note taking?

Rat Supremacy fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 24, 2009

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

haywire posted:

This is the best keyboard ever.

- Compact
- Nice to press keys
- Large spacebar
- Decent home/end/del/insert config (not stupid compact with large del key)
- Proper F buttons
- No stupid superfluous poo poo
- USB hub (1.0 unfortunately)
- Dial volume control.

I want one so bad (I use one at work), but I can't find it ANYWHERE, especially a UK version. Help, goons?

I like mine too; the other main hangup I have is that nothing binds in OS X except the push-button media keys.

Search for 0N6249 (0N6250 for US layout) in eBay auction descrptions and you'll find one. Here's one I prepared earlier:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-MULTIMED...4#ht_3423wt_917

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Sasquatch! posted:

I really wanted to like this keyboard because I liked it's added functionality, but I absolutely hated the feel of it. YMMV of course.

I still swear by the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000. They keys feel fantastic, and it has play/pause and volume keys. The only thing I wish it had was a built-in USB hub, but other than that, it's perfect.

A great keyboard - I use it at work and its really easy to use. Minimal adjustment to the curve required. I enjoyed it so much at work I bought another for home as well, and works great for gaming as well. I eventually replaced it with a Lycosa, which I find better for gaming but isn't as comfortable as the Curve 2000 for typing.

Both keyboards have low-profile keys.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
I had the DECK Legend, which was fun for awhile (and it sounded like a rainstorm when I was typing), but the travel distance on its keys was way too far - compared to the G15 I use now it cut my WPM by atleast 10. I quite like my G15 - not too involved, and it types pretty cleanly (though I can't be bothered to watch the screen on it in any game I play).

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I seriously doubt anybody cares but I just ordered a Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO. Hopefully it will work out good for me!

I've also ordered a restored IBM Model M and a lightly used Dell AT101W just so that I have a few different things to try out.

I'm tempted to order a Scorpius M10 so that I can try out the blue cherry switches but I think I've spent more than enough on keyboards for the moment :)

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Supporting the G15 Rev.1 here. Been using it for a while now and it's still holding up with no visible or tangible signs of wear. The LCD screen seems gimmicky but I've found some drat good uses for it, especially for gaming. And I've never had a more comfortable keyboard.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

I've coded OSes, compilers, countless scrapers, and slayed a shitload of Internet dragons and Alliance scum with that keyboard. Portable enough to drag along in most backpacks, I never had to deal with remapping ctrl and capslock while using it... ever.
Hooray I was just ranting this morning about the fact that the control key is never in the right place. I always just use KeyTweak to fix it in windows, or ctrl:nocaps in Linux, but it is baffling that the average user believes that they use CAPSLOK more than Ctrl.

I use a Logitech Illuminated keyboard now both at home and work.

A scissor-style keyboard with decent travel. Illumination in general is gimicky, but they've got the best implementation I've seen. Most keyboards illuminate around the keys, this one only lights up the letters themselves. There's almost no light leakage around the keys, which is good because if you're typing in the dark and look down it isn't like looking at a lantern. I will fault Logitech for their double height Delete key though.

If they made a version without the numeric keypad and a normal sized delete key, this would be my perfect keyboard.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

haywire posted:

Care to tell me more about this E71 setup. Do you use the keyboard with bluetooth? What is the battery like? How good is the E71 for note taking?

The best part about it is you can do it using software that came on the phone, no extra programs or drivers needed. I use the Wireless Keyboard app to pair it, then QuickOffice for taking all my notes straight to my microSD card. Here's a blog post about it, with instructions.

Battery life is ridiculous. Even now that I have an iPhone, I still use the E71 + Apple keyboard for taking notes in class because the E71 lasts forever (even longer now that I've got all wireless except BT and wifi turned off). The only annoying thing is that the Apple keyboard doesn't have a battery gauge on it (you can only see its current power level through OSX), but just carry a spare set in your bag and you're fine. I think I had to replace the batteries twice in the past 12 months, and that's using it with three computers and in class. Color me satisfied.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm still rocking the age-old Logitech Internet Navigator. It's getting more and more yellow.

Some things I like about it:

1) Scroll wheel on the left - great for just browsing through long SA megathreads
2) Media control keys
3) Proper layout and space between keys
4) Wired - gently caress wireless input devices

Most of the shortcut buttons are pretty retarded (2000 internet boom thing), but it's just impossible to find a proper keyboard with a scroll wheel it seems :/.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 25, 2009

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Click here for the full 1024x487 image.

Behold the world's best keyboard. It's an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard only it's USB and for desktops. You can type at warp speed on these with a little practice.

Nomex fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 25, 2009

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Nomex posted:

Behold the world's best keyboard. It's an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard only it's USB and for desktops. You can type at warp speed on these with a little practice.

Ugh but it has that loving Fn/Ctrl switchup that I just can't deal with.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CapnBry posted:

Hooray I was just ranting this morning about the fact that the control key is never in the right place. I always just use KeyTweak to fix it in windows, or ctrl:nocaps in Linux, but it is baffling that the average user believes that they use CAPSLOK more than Ctrl.

A scissor-style keyboard with decent travel. Illumination in general is gimicky, but they've got the best implementation I've seen. Most keyboards illuminate around the keys, this one only lights up the letters themselves. There's almost no light leakage around the keys, which is good because if you're typing in the dark and look down it isn't like looking at a lantern. I will fault Logitech for their double height Delete key though.

If they made a version without the numeric keypad and a normal sized delete key, this would be my perfect keyboard.

Do you have tiny baby hands or something? The control key is in the exact right spot. In fact, it's easier to reach than the caps lock key. I have to bend my pinky really weird to hit the capslock.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

mobn posted:

Do you have tiny baby hands or something? The control key is in the exact right spot. In fact, it's easier to reach than the caps lock key. I have to bend my pinky really weird to hit the capslock.
I'm really confused about what your hands look like now too. When you're in a typing home position, isn't your pinky (which is on the A key) less than 1cm away from caps lock? All you do is move the pinky 1cm to the left and bam you're on the control key. For me to go all the way down to the bottom row to hit where control is on the keyboard, I've got to either twist my wrist in or curl my pinky way back. Having the key I press once out of every 40-50 keystrokes 1 horizontal cm away seems like a much better design than putting it 4cm diagonally away down in the corner.

I'm sure it depends on typing posture as well, as I like my keyboard pretty close so bringing my wrists closer together isn't comfortable.

Finally, I'm old and I like things the way they were ya young whippersnapper.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CapnBry posted:

I'm really confused about what your hands look like now too. When you're in a typing home position, isn't your pinky (which is on the A key) less than 1cm away from caps lock? All you do is move the pinky 1cm to the left and bam you're on the control key. For me to go all the way down to the bottom row to hit where control is on the keyboard, I've got to either twist my wrist in or curl my pinky way back. Having the key I press once out of every 40-50 keystrokes 1 horizontal cm away seems like a much better design than putting it 4cm diagonally away down in the corner.

I'm sure it depends on typing posture as well, as I like my keyboard pretty close so bringing my wrists closer together isn't comfortable.

Finally, I'm old and I like things the way they were ya young whippersnapper.

I have long fingers. Caps lock is one CM to the left in home row, but my fingers have to curve quite a bit just to sit in home row, so reaching to the left sucks, whereas reaching to the ctrl key actually requires me to straight out my fingers and move my wrist a little bit, which is a more natural movement for me than straight left. I doubt you actually have baby hands, I just have hulk hands and am salty about it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Nomex posted:

I use one of these, very happy with it in general.

I just wish they'd offer one with either no touch-pad or a multitouch-pad. That, and some revised media keys like the T400s keyboard shown a while back - the current [X] [-] [+] volume layout is bad after the button icon paint wears away, and a [X] [-|+] rocker switch setup is better.

Maybe a fingerprint scanner and some toggleable backlighting, while I'm wishing.
e: maybe a wireless numpad-free version for HPTC use, too

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 25, 2009

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums
Just got one of these:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=083

It's rather nice, so far!

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

haywire posted:

Just got one of these:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=083

It's rather nice, so far!

Bought the same one a few days ago. Great keys, very good shortcut and macro-buttons with the software that comes with it. Also, it's cheap.

Retape approves!

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Figured this was the place to ask...those of you rocking the apple keyboards in windows...have you figured out a way to map any of the apple-specific function keys?

I'm talking about the FN/Brightness/Sound/eject keys?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'm still using the Microsoft wireless desktop elite and it's serving me well, but the thing is a dirt magnet. Aside from that, it's awesome.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

dMastri posted:

I like the thumbs up and down buttons. Any idea what their traditional application would have been?

This. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_(video_game)

(I'm aware I'm a page late)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CapnBry posted:

that`s the best keyboard i have had so far, good layout and nice feel when typing.

the only hassle i have ever had with it is when i boot to linux and it wont activate so i have to use another keyboard to use the boot menu.... confusing. :p

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.
Apparently there are like 10 keyboards that all share the title of "best keyboard in the world". Crazy.

I'm currently waiting for this thing to finally get released:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JCSCYS

I haven't seen any actual date for its release. If the freaking Apple Bluetooth Aluminum wasn't so expensive I'd probably just pair it up with a cheap BT mouse.

Also, every one of those gaming keyboards is disgusting beyond belief. I can't believe people think those look good.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I use one of these Kinesis keyboards, have done for over 10 years as I got carpal tunnel or some similar typing related injury. Doctors over here never took it seriously back in the 90s so I just bought it myself, went from being able to only type for 15-30 minutes without pain to being able to type normally.

In addition to that it doubles up as a really nice gaming keyboard because the keys are arranged in a grid. Ok so you have to used ESDF rather than WSAD but that's fine as all but the shittiest of games let you remap them.

The really good thing about it is the thumb pad which contains Ctrl+Alt+BkSpc+Del+Home+End. That's a lot of keys that can be reached with just the thumb, and the thumb is the strongest "finger" on your hand, again for gaming this can provide, use, open, reload, crouch etc. etc.

In addition to that, I have their "Savant Elite" USB footpad mappet to right shift right ctrl and right alt so that rather than using my little finger for shift I can use my foot which isn't going to wear out. It also means I can map them up to things like crouch in gaming (insert Time Crysis pun here)

It's actually my second one of these keyboards. I bought the first as an AT model in 1997, for 5 years it went on the train to work with me every weekday where it was battered around by the kind of inconsiderate arseholes you meet on the train. It picked up a few chips off the plastic on the corners but never actually stopped working. When one of the keys eventually failed in about 2006 or so, way out of warranty, the manufacturer sent me bag of keyswitches for just the price of P&P so that I could solder them back on. I could've carried on repairing it but in the end just decided to get another one, this time in black and with a USB interface since by now it was running off an AT->PS2 adaptor and in a few years time I'm was probably going to have to hang that off a PS2->USB adaptor too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I guess I hadn't checked press releases when I posted earlier, there is a redesigned USB Ultranav out now. Sorry for the weird picture perspective, can't find any head-on shots of the standalone keyboard right now and it's not quite the same as the T400s.

http://lenovoblogs.com/designmatters/?p=2364

Lenovo USB Ultranav redesign released:
Trackpoint-only, spill resistant, +Winkey
Priced $60, based on T400s board

Click for full 894x682 image.

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
I have this and it's almost perfect:

cherry evolution stream

If only it were split with a scrollwheel in the center, like MS keyboards have.

I looked long and hard, yet there seems to be no keyboard in existence that is flat (for silent typing), split (for natural hand position), has a scrollwheel (for programming) and has media keys for controlling volume and winamp.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I'm using the Microsoft Sidewinder X6, and I love it. The numeric keypad can be attached to either side of the keyboard, and can be used as an extra macro bank. Sounds gimmicky, but it's seen good use for playing RPGs.

necrobobsledder posted:

Happy Hacking Keyboard, bitches

Too bad I was stupid and opened it up to clean it out and didn't let it dry long enough :( Only reason I didn't buy another one is because I don't slay Internet dragons and I reach for my beer more than my escape key because I'm using Eclipse :smithicide:

Where did you get this? It's simplicity has me in awe.

Linx fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 2, 2009

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

RichestManInTown posted:

Logitech diNovo Edge

List Price: $179.99

Not great for typing or gaming but man, will it look nice on your coffee table. It's pricy, but if you set up a quality media center it will probably end up being the cheapest part. Touch controls and mouse pad could be a little more responsive but they get the job done.

I'd like to add that it has impressive battery life- it'll easily last a month of heavy use without charging.

~Coxy posted:

1) A "programmer's" keyboard. It should have separate keys for braces and parens at the very least, and spare function keys up the wazoo. Dual numpads would be nice too, but you can always buy a seperate USB numpad so that's not a big deal.

I use a Logitech G11 at work. 18 programmable function keys, with buttons to switch between 3 modes. The only problem I have is that I can't remember what all of them do- it's easy enough to check, but I want one of these if it ever comes out: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-aux/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Not many like the SmartBoard, but I love mine:

Mine looks a bit different, the function keys are translucent purple instead of pink.

• Locked thread