Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Zhentar posted:

I'd like to add that it has impressive battery life- it'll easily last a month of heavy use without charging.

Also I got mine at frys for around 130$. Highly recommend for anyone with a HTPC.

The touch pad works better then most bad reviews say it does. It uses acceleration so for 1920x1080 displays a fast flick will throw it across the screen. Also if you move to an edge and stay there it will continue to move.

Also for people who complained in reviews about the tap to click, they must have the motor skills of a 2 year old because I takes quite the solid tap to click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.
Hey so Bluetooth works over a 2.4ghz frequency right? So what about these wireless mice and keyboards I'm seeing that just list "2.4ghz wireless" but they don't mention Bluetooth. What's the difference between the two technologies? Are they compatible with each other?

Also, the Microsoft Comfort 5000 set still isn't out yet, anyone have any recommendations for a mouse and keyboard that are either 2.4ghz or Bluetooth? They don't have to be together in a set, but I'm trying to get both for around $100.

I need a nice small, relatively light mouse (doesn't need a ton of buttons) and I'd prefer a relatively slim, not bulky keyboard.

Right now I'm looking at the Apple BT keyboard and a $30 2.4ghz Microsoft mouse (the 6000 I think it is).

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

japii posted:

Hey so Bluetooth works over a 2.4ghz frequency right? So what about these wireless mice and keyboards I'm seeing that just list "2.4ghz wireless" but they don't mention Bluetooth. What's the difference between the two technologies? Are they compatible with each other?

Typically, a wireless device that just lists "2.4 GHz wireless" will implement its own, proprietary protocol. If it's Bluetooth, it'll say so.

2.4 GHz is a common frequency band used for this stuff because it's subject to few transmitter licensing restrictions in the US. It's used by Bluetooth, 802.11b/g WiFi, cordless phones, garage door openers, keyboards, and almost anything else that needs a fairly short-range wireless connection.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Click here for the full 694x327 image.

This in black, HP branded. Wireless works far enough I can use it as a remote, keys come off easily enough, and they have a really nice action. Not too flat, not too much pressure either.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

Retape posted:

Bought the same one a few days ago. Great keys, very good shortcut and macro-buttons with the software that comes with it. Also, it's cheap.

Retape approves!

Aye, only thing is the F keys aren't aligned or grouped properly but other than that it is quite excellent!

A.Spectre
May 30, 2004

Stalking her way into our hearts
I got one of the cyborgs when they were 10 dollars off on Newegg. I really enjoy it. The metal keys feel almost like plastic, but I can confirm they are actually metal and pretty tough at that. This keyboard so far has taken a drop down the roof onto cement, my fist slamming into it very hard, and a surge protector popping (which did gently caress up my mouse.) I love the headset jacks because at the very least, it gives me a couple more feet to move around. The USB jack is also pretty good for a thumb drive.

The only real complaint I have is that I can't use it when the PC is starting up. It works to enter BIOS, but that is it. I can't use it for safe mode or anything.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I like my original G15 - with the 18 macro buttons - much better than the new ones. Sadly, Logitech replaced one of my G15 keyboards with a new one, with orange lights and only 6 macro buttons. Ugh.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Krimlander posted:

The only real complaint I have is that I can't use it when the PC is starting up. It works to enter BIOS, but that is it. I can't use it for safe mode or anything.

This totally confounds me. I find I just have to keep a PS/2 keyboard around if I ever want to boot from a CD or use safe mode without msconfig. I just ordered the ABS M1 which is on a pretty big discount at the moment. Actually looking forward to receiving it, haha, my current keyboard has keys falling off and I can't press s, d and space at the same time which fucks me when playing shooters.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I use a Miscrosoft Natural Multimedia, like this:

Click here for the full 1024x647 image.

In fact I have 2 of them, one at work and one at home. They're cheap (£15-£20 about 5 years ago I think), comfortable, and built like tanks; and they're both still going strong to this day.

Problem is they're very noisy when typing at any speed and it just so happens that I've recently moved into a deathly quiet office, so I'm constantly getting tuts, tsks and eye rolls; hooray for :britain:.

And advice on a quiet ergo split keyboard with a vertical Home/End block?
I've seen too many negative reviews of the Natural 4000 to give it a look (that and the home/end block is horizontal - boo hiss)

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Lum posted:

This keyboard is the most comfortable I've ever typed on. Key press is very smooth, layout is fantastic, and you can dynamically remap the entire layout on the fly. I have trigger finger in my pinkies, and the fact that I can rebind any key and hook up a pedal and rebind the shift key has kept me able to type. Best $300 I've ever spent.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Pendragon posted:

This keyboard is the most comfortable I've ever typed on. Key press is very smooth, layout is fantastic, and you can dynamically remap the entire layout on the fly. I have trigger finger in my pinkies, and the fact that I can rebind any key and hook up a pedal and rebind the shift key has kept me able to type. Best $300 I've ever spent.

I don't suppose it's quiet is it?
It's around £180 though so there's no way I'd buy it without trying it out somewhere, and I can't think of a brick and mortar store in the UK that would let me try one out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Linx posted:

Where did you get this? It's simplicity has me in awe.

http://www.pfusystems.com/hhkeyboard/hhkeyboard.html

Just search for 'Happy Hacking Keyboard'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There is always at least one fatal loving flaw that ruins keyboards for me.

Right now I'm using just a plain Dell keyboard that has media controls on it. It's not fantastic, but they keys are all in the right places and sizes, the only big complaint I have is that the USB ports aren't high-speed.

I like the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, but the 'long keys' such as shift and ctrl break. Junk.

I loved the original Microsoft ergonomic keyboards, but they're not USB and they don't have a mute/volume control. They did mess up the arrows keys, though. The newer versions are just weird.

I've always liked the 90's Macintosh ADB keyboards as well.

Gyration makes a nice, laptop-style keyboard. It's small, but eats batteries and has a Fn key in the bottom left corner, where I demand a ctrl key be.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Jiblet posted:

It's around £180 though so there's no way I'd buy it without trying it out somewhere, and I can't think of a brick and mortar store in the UK that would let me try one out.

Depending on how hard you depress the keys, I think it's about average noise level: not as quiet as a laptop/scissor keys, not as loud as an Model M. Maybe slightly louder than a Dell. The keyboard does have an audible click made through an internal speaker that you can disable, although I leave it enabled so I know when the keypress is registered.

I doubt any store would carry them as it's pretty specialized. I bought mine without being able to try it out, and I don't regret it one bit. If you do have problems in your hands or wrists and type for a living, I recommend getting it. I promise you won't regret it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Jiblet posted:

It's fairly quiet, but given that my GF uses a Model M, it's not really a good comparison coming from me.

If you happen to be in the South Wales valleys, you could try mine, but to be honest it takes at least a week (and a bit of perserverence) to get used to one of these, it's not something you can decide upon in 5 minutes.

However the official UK seller of these keyboards, ergonomics.co.uk state the following in their FAQ:

quote:

Can I get goods on trial?

We can provide you with products on "Sale or Return". This involves making a purchase with the right to return the goods within 30 days if they are not suitable. Our Customer Service team is always happy to give you guidance in making a purchasing choice so it's usually a good idea to contact them if you are in any doubt (0845 345 0898 or email us).

You should enter "Sale or Return" in the "Additional Notes" box at the bottom of the first page of the order process. If they don't meet your requirements, goods must be returned in "as new" condition" in their original packaging, complete with all instructions and accessories. A "signed for" carrier service should be used and return carriage costs are your responsibility. If you need to return goods, you must also contact the Customer Service team to obtain a Goods Return Authorisation number before sending anything back.

While I'm on the topic of the Kinesis kit. I do have a complaint about the "Savant Elite" footpedal, there are certain keys, such as Right Alt and Right Shift that when mapped to the footpedal do not work in games and Kinesis support were unable to offer any helpful suggestions. I eventually discovered that this footpedal was actually based on a PI Engineering X-Keys device and emailled their support, claiming to have the model that the Savant Elite is based on. They sent back these instructions that worked with only one modification

quote:

Currently this is a bug in MacroWorks II however if you have access to a Windows XP machine lets try the following and see if this will fix what the X-key is sending:

Please download and install X-keys Splat Converter from the following link: http://xkeys.com/download/TechSupport/Splat_Converter.zip.
Once the X-keys Splat Converter is installed please restart your computer.

Please download and install X-keys Macro Recorder from the following link: http://www.piengineering.com/download/Macro_Recorder.zipOnce the X-key Macro Recorder is installed please restart your computer.

Once the computer has been restarted, put the X-keys programming switch into the programming position. ( Click on the following link for location of programming switch: http://www.piengineering.com/support/progswi.php) You should get a "New Hardware Wizard". When the "New Hardware Wizard" appears click on "Install from a disk or a different location (Advanced)."

Uncheck the removable media check box and check the "Include this location" box like the picture below. Click on the "Browse" button and browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32. Click on next

If you get a screen that asks you to insert the X-keys installation disk, click on ok and in the next window click on browse, and use the following path C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers. When done click on "Finish."

Now you’re ready to use Macro Recorder. Please follow these instructions: http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys/macrorecorderbegin.php

The only issue I had was in the macro recorder software, if you follow those instructions, you end up configuring it so that for a pedal-down event it sends a key-down event immediately followed by a key-up event. What I did was deleted the key-up event, clicked the radio button labelled "release" then recorded the macro again, only this time I deleted the key-down event. This results in a key-down when you press the pedal and a key-up when you release it, meaning that the pedal now works just like a normal key. I can use it as a shift key for typing, and I can use it in my games. (Mapping the pedal to the kick button in NecroVision is quite fun)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've been rocking the Logitech Ultra-X since I think the last time a keyboard thread came up. It's the perfect combo, IMO - full-size keyboard, with some nice laptop-style keys and it holds up remarkably well. I picked up one for work (they give us shittastic old keyboards) and one for home.

Still the best keyboard. Sorry M people.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mercator posted:

Still the best keyboard. Sorry M people.

Funny thing is, I didn't even realize until just the other day that I actually have two slightly different versions of the same keyboard. The one I have at work has standard flat Windows keys, while the one at home has Logitech's newer style of Windows key with the dome in the face.

Also, neither one has the godawful L-shaped enter as shown in the photo on Amazon, thank god.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Funny thing is, I didn't even realize until just the other day that I actually have two slightly different versions of the same keyboard. The one I have at work has standard flat Windows keys, while the one at home has Logitech's newer style of Windows key with the dome in the face.

So you have an older model with an XP logo and a newer model with the Vista logo.

Microsoft actually have quite strict licensing terms for the use of that key, and when Vista came out they required keyboard manufacturers to start including the new logo and the moulded dome.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I use the Steel Series 7G for gaming, it's phenomenal in that it's hyper responsive and doesn't 'ghost':

However it is horrible to type with since it's hyper responsive. The slightest touch and you typo. Hence why I pulled out my old Dell keyboard (after this thread inspired me):

I've put the 7G behind the monitor, I'll be pulling it out to game with when I'm gaming now...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm using a PS/2 Microsoft Natural Keyboard here at work. I brought this sucker from home, its from the 90s. I will love it forever. I really don't see why there is a need for anything more exotic than a standard split keyboard.

eighty8
Jan 24, 2007
Does anyone have any expierience with this bad boy? https://www.deckkeyboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=30

Its rated at some 50 million strokes (Marketing hype I am sure) uses what I think are the nice Cherry MX switches and seems generally awesome. Is there any reason I shouldn't drop my money on this?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I use the Dell standard, the one without the USB hub or media controls, and the only gripe I have about it, for a simple, cheap keyboard, is that I can't hit the Windows key and Pause/Break with one hand, which brings up system properties in Windows (similarly, I hate laptops that either don't have the key, or which require the function modifier to use it.) Other than that, it's a great keyboard.

A friend had a Typematrix, where all keys are in a grid, and which features a hardware Dvorak switch. I want one, but can't justify the expense...

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, neither one has the godawful L-shaped enter as shown in the photo on Amazon, thank god.
You probably don't even have a £ sign on your 3 key, colonial peasant. :britain:

such a nice boy
Mar 22, 2002

Nomex posted:

Click here for the full 1024x487 image.

Behold the world's best keyboard. It's an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard only it's USB and for desktops. You can type at warp speed on these with a little practice.

I wish more keyboard manufacturers would include the trackpoint, but I guess IBM has the patent. It's the perfect input device for people who hate taking their hands off the keyboard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

such a nice boy posted:

I wish more keyboard manufacturers would include the trackpoint, but I guess IBM has the patent. It's the perfect input device for people who hate taking their hands off the keyboard.

I doubt it since Dell puts it on all of their business notebooks. Unless there's some weird patent licensing or something. Regardless, I think most manufacturers just don't bother combining navigation with input.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Steakandchips posted:

I use the Steel Series 7G for gaming, it's phenomenal in that it's hyper responsive and doesn't 'ghost':

I had one of those GIVEN to me, and I had to pass it on for one simple reason.

Why the hell is the backspace key not standard size? That single thing alone completely ruins the whole keyboard for me.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Anybody try the Kensington 'Keyboard for Life'? It looks to be exactly what I want: zero-frills, laptop-style, high-quality, classic IBM 101/104 layout, wired, black, no bling.

http://us.kensington.com/html/4812.html

Why is such a beast hard to find? The HP Wireless Elite Desktop Keyboard is basically what I'm looking for, but it's wireless, unfortunately.

such a nice boy posted:

Speaking of, Lenovo (finally) updated the UltraNav USB keyboard to the latest design from the ThinkPad T400s, as was mentioned earlier. I own a couple of the original USB UltraNav keyboards (IBM branded even) and they are drat awesome. They also removed the trackpad (gently caress those things).

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...217E34D281CCDD9
http://lenovoblogs.com/designmatters/?p=2364

Now they just need to release a Bluetooth version with a micro/mini USB connection so it can run in 'wired' mode.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

such a nice boy posted:

After the redesign and permanent price cut to $60, there isn't much reason for me to consider anything but the USB Ultranav.

That said, Samsung has a similar one with a smaller footprint for $80:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Ultra-External-USB-Keyboard/dp/B000GR3XFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252149727&sr=8-1

And there's a Unicomp board for $100, if scissor-switch keys bother you:
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104wh.html

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.
Are there any wireless versions of those? Seems like it would make the best media center keyboard.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

japii posted:

Are there any wireless versions of those? Seems like it would make the best media center keyboard.
You would think that, but no. Even in the Lenovo blog launching the new keyboard everybody was like "Awesome. Now where is the bluetooth version?"

As for touchpad and bluetooth/wireless, the only stuff i know of are the following:

Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro (meant for the PS3, but is a generic HID device):
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/keyboards/devices/3616&cl=us,en

Logitech DiNovo Edge ($$$):
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=us,en

SolidTek 3462 or 3962:
http://www.solidtekusa.com/Bluetooth-wireless.htm

Adesso (various, proprietary 2.4 GHz):
http://www.adesso.com/products.asp?categoryid=7&subcatid=55

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

plester1 posted:

I have an Ultra-X also, and its my favorite keyboard. Its flat as hell, doesn't have any weird layout issues, and has really high quality scissor-action keys (on par with Thinkpad keyboards).

Its the best if you're a weirdo like me and actually like laptop style keys on your desktop.
Too bad the Ultra-X seems to be NLA from Logitech these days, though you might get lucky finding some NOS units kicking around.

While full of bling, the Targus AKB04US sure looks to be using the same internal hardware as the old Logitech Ultra-X. I'll even put in $10 on that bet.

http://targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=AKB04US

Another laptop-like option is the Macally Icekey in either black or white. Ostensibly a Mac keyboard, it will work just fine in Windows, even the extra function keys.

http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=147

SwissCM posted:

I use a basic Dell keyboard:

Been using it for over 3 years now and it works excellently. Pretty easy to clean too, the keys pop out easily and are simple to put back in. It's completely no-frills and that's how I like my keyboards.

The family PC uses a Full-Size Mac keyboard, despite it using WindowsXP. It works very well actually.
The humble little Dell base model OEM keyboard does manage to impress, I have to agree. Not a bad little keyboard, considering.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nija posted:

I had one of those GIVEN to me, and I had to pass it on for one simple reason.

Why the hell is the backspace key not standard size? That single thing alone completely ruins the whole keyboard for me.

Doesn't bother me at all... I suppose it's because I'm used to 'feeling for the edge' of keys when I type to know what I'm pressing; i.e. I'll know if I am hitting the right key if (besides the appropriate action taking place on the screen) if there is an appropriate amount of distance or space besides it.

This is the reason I could never use the Logitech G series or the Tarantula; they both had keys to the sides of the actual keyboard, so by pure feel the side keys were not the same. Muscle memory prevented me from using those. Every time I went to hit the enter key on the numpad, I hit some stupid rear end macro key... Pissed me off immensely.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

EnergizerFellow posted:

The humble little Dell base model OEM keyboard does manage to impress, I have to agree. Not a bad little keyboard, considering.

I used one of the OEM Dell keyboards at work for a few months, and I was pretty unhappy with it. I don't understand the need for a larger spacebar, since I've never once missed the largest key on the keyboard and the only one that gets two fingers assigned to it. The keys are very mushy, and I found that hitting the keys off angle (especially the larger ones) made them near impossible to depress. It's a fine OEM keyboard, but I wouldn't actually buy it or attempt to use it for larger typing loads.

I've been through a ton of keyboards (I'm somewhat fickle) and I settled on the latest USB Apple Keyboard a few months ago. I was incredibly surprised that I could enjoy typing on what's essentially a laptop style keyboard. Coming off of years of Model M and original logitech G15 usage, the lower travel wasn't something I thought that I'd like. The Apple keyboard has a perfect layout, great tactile feedback, a pleasant sound and aesthetically, it's beautiful (and small, even with the numpad). I highly recommend it to anyone.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
We have the Logitech G15s in our office. They feel amazing for about the first month, and it's really easy to whip something up for a custom readout on the display, but they get grimy VERY quick and after a month-ish the key presses are fairly sticky. Granted they weren't designed to be used in a 24 hour ops office, but if I'm dropping a hundy on a keyboard I don't want it to have degraded functionality after a month of use.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I've been through a ton of keyboards (I'm somewhat fickle) and I settled on the latest USB Apple Keyboard a few months ago. I was incredibly surprised that I could enjoy typing on what's essentially a laptop style keyboard. Coming off of years of Model M and original logitech G15 usage, the lower travel wasn't something I thought that I'd like. The Apple keyboard has a perfect layout, great tactile feedback, a pleasant sound and aesthetically, it's beautiful (and small, even with the numpad). I highly recommend it to anyone.

Laptop keyboards are nice to type on once you get used to them. I've been using my laptop keyboard over my MS wireless one and it can be a bit hard trying to type on the MS keyboard nowadays since I've been using the laptop keyboard more over the past few months.

Those Dell OEM keyboards aren't bad but I don't really like them. Not really worth paying money for in my opinion.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I was incredibly surprised that I could enjoy typing on what's essentially a laptop style keyboard. Coming off of years of Model M and original logitech G15 usage, the lower travel wasn't something I thought that I'd like.
Yep, same here. I even stocked up on Model Ms back when they where relatively cheap new, yet they are collecting dust in my garage and can't convince myself to sell them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had a hideous keyboard at work for about a month. Some OEM Compaq model that had a half sized spacebar and if I remember correctly an extra enter key where the other half of the spacebar should've been. I think that trumps any of you bitching about weird key locations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
On the basic keyboard front, I'm very happy with the Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500

No software to install, just works, comfortable to use and feels well built. Combined with an IntelliMouse Explorer 3

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
Looks like IBM is coming out a new external ThinkPad keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Boris the Blade posted:

Looks like IBM is coming out a new external ThinkPad keyboard.

Yes, we know, it has been posted at least 3 times so far in this thread.

...and I have to say, I've got a raging hardon for it. I think it will be my next keyboard. Right now I use this tiny Adesso keyboard. I like 'em compact!

• Locked thread