Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

Yes, we know, it has been posted at least 3 times so far in this thread.

...and I have to say, I've got a raging hardon for it. I think it will be my next keyboard. Right now I use this tiny Adesso keyboard. I like 'em compact!

Those had a trackpad. I had no idea they made this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Those had a trackpad. I had no idea they made this one.

You missed this post from page 2 and this post on page 3 .

Rusty100
Jan 8, 2008
You are on fire.

Linx posted:

I'm using the Microsoft Sidewinder X6, and I love it. The numeric keypad can be attached to either side of the keyboard, and can be used as an extra macro bank. Sounds gimmicky, but it's seen good use for playing RPGs.

Yeah I've got a Sidewinder too. Best keyboard I've owned to date. It's got the sturdiness and functionality of a Microsoft keyboard you'd expect with little to no useless gimmicks, while still managing to look drat great. The reap gripe I have with Logitech keyboards is the ridiculous over-the-top 'super xTreme gaymer' design, and I just think it looks horrible. They're messy, bulky, and usually have horrible colour schemes. I just never understood why they were so popular.

Anyway yeah, I love my Sidewinder. I very much like the magnetic-detachable Numpad. Since I never use the numpad I just take that sucker off and have more desk room for whatever. It's great. Highly recommend it.

Not to mention all the great macro keys for all you nerdy gamers and stuff.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Rusty100 posted:

Yeah I've got a Sidewinder too. Best keyboard I've owned to date. It's got the sturdiness and functionality of a Microsoft keyboard you'd expect with little to no useless gimmicks, while still managing to look drat great. The reap gripe I have with Logitech keyboards is the ridiculous over-the-top 'super xTreme gaymer' design, and I just think it looks horrible. They're messy, bulky, and usually have horrible colour schemes. I just never understood why they were so popular.

Anyway yeah, I love my Sidewinder. I very much like the magnetic-detachable Numpad. Since I never use the numpad I just take that sucker off and have more desk room for whatever. It's great. Highly recommend it.

Not to mention all the great macro keys for all you nerdy gamers and stuff.

I've never been one for the logitech keyboard designs either. I fail to see the need for an LCD on a keyboard. To derail, I'm pretty sure you're the same Rusty100 from another forum I browse.

Linx fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 7, 2009

Rusty100
Jan 8, 2008
You are on fire.

Linx posted:

I've never been one for the logitech keyboard designs either. I fail to see the need for an LCD on a keyboard. To derail, I'm pretty sure you're the same Rusty100 from another forum I browse.

To further derail, where might that be, pre tell? I'm on quite a few.

And yes, I agree. I think the whole LCD on your keyboard deal a bit pointless and gimmicky. That's why we have radars and huds. It would just prove distrating to have two different monitors in different positions. I don't want to keep having to look down at my keyboard when I'm gaming. Or doing anything. That's why I learnt to touch type.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Rusty100 posted:

To further derail, where might that be, pre tell? I'm on quite a few.

And yes, I agree. I think the whole LCD on your keyboard deal a bit pointless and gimmicky. That's why we have radars and huds. It would just prove distrating to have two different monitors in different positions. I don't want to keep having to look down at my keyboard when I'm gaming. Or doing anything. That's why I learnt to touch type.

FP?

Rusty100
Jan 8, 2008
You are on fire.

Linx posted:

FP?

Yes

The Aftershave
Jun 24, 2007
No, no snap.

I ordered this (Filco Majestouch Tactile Touch in Italian Red because I don't like having any money) a little over a week ago and it just arrived today. So far, I love it. I've only had it for an hour though, so that's not much to judge it by. I had a classic G15 before, but I couldn't stand how much space it took up on my keyboard, especially since I hadn't bound a single macro key since I had first got it, and it seemed like time to replace it after the paint started wearing off.

Edit: I'm a dumbass who breaks tables.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The Aftershave posted:

I ordered this (Filco Majestouch Tactile Touch in Italian Red because I don't like having any money) a little over a week ago and it just arrived today. So far, I love it. I've only had it for an hour though, so that's not much to judge it by. I had a classic G15 before, but I couldn't stand how much space it took up on my keyboard, especially since I hadn't bound a single macro key since I had first got it, and it seemed like time to replace it after the paint started wearing off.

Urghghg I wanted to get the red. Couldn't justify it in the end :( I have a red Esc key but I'm afraid to try to take off the black one!

Hope you enjoy the keyboard, in case any of my posts about it in here influenced your decision. I like my black Tactile Touch more all the time. It's incredible how the touch is so light and at the same time the keys have so little wobble and feel so precise every hit. Plus, the tray is so solid, with no give or flex whatsoever.

I'm having to use a Keytronic at work--not really a bad keyboard by any means, and probably the best of the rubber domes--but at this point it just makes me wish I could afford a second Filco for the office.

The Aftershave
Jun 24, 2007
No, no snap.

TheQat posted:

Urghghg I wanted to get the red. Couldn't justify it in the end :( I have a red Esc key but I'm afraid to try to take off the black one!

I tried pretty hard to not let my self get it in red, but I decided that since I'm going to be using it for a few hours every day for the next couple years, I might as well spend the extra money and get the prettier one.

Edit: Getting the escape key off was really easy, I didn't even need a paper clip. I just held the key by the sides while wiggling it and pulling up. It popped off in a second.

Edit again: Jesus Christ, I just stared at the Num Lock light for a second and now I have a blue spot on my vision. That thing is bright.

The Aftershave fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 9, 2009

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.
Just as I'm about to pull the trigger on an Apple BT keyboard, Microsoft announces this:

Click here for the full 2000x883 image.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/microsofts-bluetooth-mobile-keyboard-6000-barely-thicker-than/

Now I'm very torn between the two. On the one hand the Apple BT will be cheaper and is available now (this Microsoft board isn't out til next month). On the other hand this thing is beautiful and I have always loved the Comfort Curve form factor.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I've read through this thread and I'm none the wiser; a bit overwhelmed by choice.

At the moment I'm using a Logitech Y-BN52...

..and have been for 2.5 years, but I'm sick of it now and want a change.

Does anyone have any recommendations for keyboards that meet the following critera?

- Wired (PS/2 or USB)
- No media keys or any of that poo poo
- Responsive
- Quiet
- Black

Just a non-fussy, well made keyboard that'll suit for gaming and every day internettery.

modeski fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 15, 2009

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
As someone already posted in this thread about the Happy Hacking Keyboard I would like to expand on that a little.

The pro 2 version is better than the normal version posted on page 2 due to being more customizable. The pro version is also available with blank keys. I bought mine from geekstuff4u.com

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/happy-hacking-keyboard-pro-2.html

The real reason why that keyboard is great is because of the feel of the keys it is not something that you can see on pictures but that's the true value of that keyboard.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

After a bit more reading I think I'm going to go with the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Has anyone here got this and have anything good/bad to say about it? Call me cautious, but the keyboard is something we all use every day so I want to me totally sure before I get the credit card out.

RichestManInTown posted:

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

List Price: $79.99

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

modeski posted:

After a bit more reading I think I'm going to go with the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Has anyone here got this and have anything good/bad to say about it? Call me cautious, but the keyboard is something we all use every day so I want to me totally sure before I get the credit card out.

Non-standard keyboard layout, it has a massive Delete key which means that another key (most likely Insert) has been either removed or moved to a retarded place.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Lum posted:

Non-standard keyboard layout, it has a massive Delete key which means that another key (most likely Insert) has been either removed or moved to a retarded place.

Is that the only thing different? I'm currently using another Logitech Keyboard with a massive delete key, and it hasn't been a problem for me so far, so I can't imagine it being an issue in the future. I guess I don't use Insert too much!

EDIT: VVV I can totally understand how it'd be an annoyance to many people, though.

modeski fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 17, 2009

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

modeski posted:

Is that the only thing different? I'm currently using another Logitech Keyboard with a massive delete key, and it hasn't been a problem for me so far, so I can't imagine it being an issue in the future. I guess I don't use Insert too much!

It bothers many people, and is the first thing that caught my attention. I can deal with completely non-standard keyboards like the Kinesis or laptops but a slight change like that on an otherwise standard feeling keyboard annoys the crap out of me when the key is not there.

Same with those bloody keyboards that rotate that row of 6 keys so that they can save a few pennies by making the keyboard half an inch narrower.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Lum posted:

Why the gently caress does every loving company want to put their own spin on the 102 key? :ssj:

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Alrighty, after much deliberation I've just ordered the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Thanks for the advice, all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

modeski posted:

Alrighty, after much deliberation I've just ordered the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Thanks for the advice, all.

I just bought one and plugged it in. It feels nice and looks snazzy.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

I just bought one and plugged it in. It feels nice and looks snazzy.

Ditto. Mine arrived yesterday and I'm amazed at just how thin it is. I was a teeny bit worried about the feel of the keys before I got it, but this feels a lot more solid than some laptops, and since it's full size I can still touch type with ease.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Made a thread about Tactile Keyboards a while ago, can't hurt to link to share some extra information on keyboards: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3028761&userid=119253

And why the gently caress does a Happy Hacking Keyboard cost about $300? For a loving keyboard, what the gently caress. And I thought a DAS keyboard was bad. (And the Optimus is just god drat retardation of neat features are the price of a car.)

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 19, 2009

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Agreeing with the comments Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Wishing they had OSX drivers so I could control features a little more, but the backlight control still works and the basic functions are still there, so I'm happy.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Filco's Majestouch line recently released a Tactile Click version that uses the clicky-type Cherry Blue Switches. They also released a blank version, like the Das Ultimate, in limited quantities. I'm seriously contemplating this since it's a fair bit cheaper than the Das. Does anyone have hands-on experience with either or both?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I'm also a fan of the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. I've been using mine for about three months now. I decided to go for it because the keyboard look and feel is similar to that of my Thinkpad, and I love that thing. I am happy with it, but I will say it is only so-so for gaming. The keys are so easy to press and smooth that I sometimes lose my feel on WASD.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Jetfire posted:

Filco's Majestouch line recently released a Tactile Click version that uses the clicky-type Cherry Blue Switches. They also released a blank version, like the Das Ultimate, in limited quantities. I'm seriously contemplating this since it's a fair bit cheaper than the Das. Does anyone have hands-on experience with either or both?

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4370&

Decent comparison of the two. I was considering the Das too but it's too expensive and didn't look that great compared to the Filco.

Pookster
Jul 4, 2007
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Enermax Aurora Premium. I love this keyboard.

siliconix
Mar 15, 2008

Pookster posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Enermax Aurora Premium. I love this keyboard.

I've had mine for about year and a half. It works OK, but nothing spectacular to me. Actually considering the Logitech Illuminated, cause of the backlight feature.
The "weird" keys on it worry me a bit though.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

modeski posted:

Lum posted:

EDIT: VVV I can totally understand how it'd be an annoyance to many people, though.

have had mine for over a year now and love it to death, keys feel good and it suits my typing.

Insert Key is directly above the Del key, never had any issues with it.... it also looks cool in the dark. :)

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Since I run entirely off of my snazzy Dell Studio 15, I've become quite attached to its keyboard. Its keys are flat, but still have nice key travel, and don't have that wobbly feel most Dell keyboards seem to. Not to mention Dell laptop keyboards' annoying habit of being ziggurat-shaped monstrosities that fingers slide off of at the slightest provocation (please god tell me I'm not the only one with this problem).

http://media.techeblog.com/images/dellstudiolaptop.jpg

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

I'm still loving the full wired USB aluminum keyboard.. Fantastic, thin, and feels great to type on.. Plus since its so similar to my MBP's keyboard, there's no "finger memory" issues I get with full size keyboards when going back and forth.

I really want the slightly smaller version without the numeric pad I never use, but no point in replacing the current one just to save a few inches.

I have been eying the full wired USB aluminum keyboard for sometime now, and your post makes me want to get one even more now. I don't trust the amazon reviews, so it is good to see a review from an experienced computer user. Thank you. :)

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

siliconix posted:

I've had mine for about year and a half. It works OK, but nothing spectacular to me. Actually considering the Logitech Illuminated, cause of the backlight feature.
The "weird" keys on it worry me a bit though.

I've had a logitech keyboard with the big delete key for yers, nd loved it. In fact, when I got a comfort curve 2000, I was upset by the small delete key.

Basically, if you've ever hit insert instead of backspace and started chewing into a paragraph instead of deleting an extra comma, you'll be thankful they moved insert. If you ever use scroll lock though, you might want to pass.

Though this is all subjective. If you can, go to a Walmart, Best buy, office depot or similar store and test various keyboards, just to make sure they're comfortable.

edit: spelling

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 20, 2009

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

I said come in! posted:

I have been eying the full wired USB aluminum keyboard for sometime now, and your post makes me want to get one even more now. I don't trust the amazon reviews, so it is good to see a review from an experienced computer user. Thank you. :)

I'm thinking about buying Apple's keyboard to use with my Vista 64 box...are there any Windows keyboards that feel similar? I mean I know I can use SharpKeys or whatever to get my beloved Print Screen key and such, but...

How about the Logitech Illuminated? It looks sort of similar anyway, does it feel similar?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can i use the apple slim keyboard with a pc?

I am selling my apple macbook pro and getting a new desktop pc but I would like to keep and use the keyboard if I can because its hands down the best keyboard I ever used.

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

keyframe posted:

Can i use the apple slim keyboard with a pc?

I am selling my apple macbook pro and getting a new desktop pc but I would like to keep and use the keyboard if I can because its hands down the best keyboard I ever used.

Yes, you can use it on a PC. It really is the best keyboard ever.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Pookster posted:

I've been using mine for somewhere around 3 years, and it's fantastic.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Scarboy posted:

Yes, you can use it on a PC. It really is the best keyboard ever.

Awesome! There goes my only worry about switching to pc :)

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Hypnolobster posted:

I've been using mine for somewhere around 3 years, and it's fantastic.

Built-in headphone jack? Niiiiice...have you tried Apple's wired aluminum keyboard? I'm curious how this feels compared to that.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

SwissCM posted:

I use a basic Dell keyboard:

I picked up the bluetooth version of this.

When I press the sync button, an orange light comes on instead of a blue one. It's not discoverable. Any ideas what's wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Pilsner posted:

This is the keyboard I use at work and that scrollwheel on the left is great for just kicking back and reading those long threads.

• Locked thread