Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

foutre posted:

Right now I'm leaning towards just getting a Pok3r with clears and put on nice keycaps. Are there any other alternatives that might fit the bill I should look at as well?
FWIW I have a Poker 2 with clears and nice keycaps and I would fully endorse the Pok3r. I want to upgrade to one badly, just haven't seen a good price/switches in ages. (I basically rely on Massdrop because shipping from regular sites to Canada is absurd.) I keep hitting the 15 keypress macro limit on my Poker 2. Pok3r gets 31.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why the hell are people obsessed with having a USB hub on their keyboard?

It's a convenient place and one less piece of clutter?

Though Moey's answer is better.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My only customer service issue with Massdrop was resolved quite satisfactorily. They sent me the wrong colour keycap Poker 2... Gave me 30 bucks to keep it.

I'm generally happy to pay for and wait for their shipping... Best deal for Canada as far as I can tell.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The lighting is okay but the abs caps are poo poo where the paint rubs off. I bought replacement Vortex double-shot pbt ones, but someone bought it before I could put them on ha. (Had their own caps.)

I had gradient blue calls on it eventually, but the luminous white background looked kind of off.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got my PC up and running sooner than I expected... CODE pics:

Original keycaps (they were far worse by the time I threw them out -- all the common letters were basically smears where there should be a letter ... spacebar looked like hell):

Those Massdrop shine-through blue gradient PBT ones:

They FELT great, but didn't look so good with the backlighting on the CODE.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 1, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know them personally. I hate painted ABS, but double-shot should be okay. They'll get shiny over time but I think it might look/feel okay in that profile.

edit: god drat it's SO expensive.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 1, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LochNessMonster posted:

A few days/weeks ago I asked here about the magicforce68 but ended up not buying it because I really would like to try a true 60% keyboard.

So I've been googling, reading geekhack and /r/mk for info and ideas.

I'm still in doubt if I want to try and get a KBP v60 with gateron browns or a Pok3r RGB with mx browns.
For what it's worth I really like my Poker 2 and want to upgrade to a 3 when I see an affordable one with clears or maybe greens.

What surprised me though is that it seems like most people don't care about the on-the-fly macroing. I use it all the time for repetitive poo poo at work. Poker 2 only allows 15 keystrokes though. 3 does 31.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 2, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

True. Just lots of great sets in the $40-80 range.

And then you get poo poo like this too: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/hammer-mummie-artisan-keycap

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm all about automating / shortcutting repetative stuff so that's why I'm contemplating the pok3r. How difficult is programming it?
It's hilariously simple. Put it in programming mode with Fn + RCtrl. Press the key you want to bind the macro to. Type in the sequence you want saved, push Pn when done. Exit programming mode, again with Fn + RCtrl, or continue binding macros to other buttons if you wish.

Use the macro by pushing Pn + the bound key.

Check out what a pain in the rear end programming this macro pad I have is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpYg5A78-hs

I do use it for a few sequences I can't fit into the 15 keystroke limit of the Poker 2 macros. (Pok3r has 31)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 2, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

pgroce posted:

Without derailing too much, what applications do people have that (1) don't require mouse input, just keyboard, and (2) don't have good macro support already? Games, I guess?

It's hard to see how kb macros would be preferable to Emacs macros, and I imagine the situation is he same with all the big text editors and IDEs. Everything else seems to require mouse input (or using its own scripting facility, like Office).

Just curious, I'm sure I'm missing something.
I personally deal with dated Windows ERP software, web forms and related crap. Just being able to pick the relevant product out of the supplier knowledge base instead of using their lovely mouse-dropdown saves me loads of time and tedium.

The amount of programming I do these days is reduced to VBS. I might just macro columns when like ... writing something that creates CSV output.

I use the macropad mostly for logging into a couple of clients' VPNs with like 80 characters of username + password I don't want to bother looking up and cutting & pasting every time.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Keyboard from Massdrop is shipping over a month early. What is this sorcery? (This one)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

yes

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I actually have a brand new set of Vortex doubleshot PBTs if anyone in Toronto wants it for $30. I had intended them for a CODE but the guy I sold it to didn't need them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hoping Massdrop does a non-rainbow Pok3r at some point. I want my clears or greens, which aren't compatible with the rainbow lighting. I especially dislike the linear switches which are so prevalent this time. (Though shitloads of options if that's your thing.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chippy posted:

The backlit ones? Where did you find them? Do they have the number key legends side by side or are they stacked vertically? Everwhere seems to be out of stock at the moment, I've been waiting for them to come back on Massdrop. I would say I'd buy them off you but I'm in the UK. Not sure what the shipping would be like from Toronto although I may consider it if you were up for it.
I did get them from Massdrop. It's this one: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/31294

I'm guessing my shipping them would cost a lot less than whatever Massdrop does hah. Especially if you're not in a hurry.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chippy posted:

I'm not in a huge rush. If you're up for shipping them, I"ll take them off your hands.
Okay, I'll do my best to estimate shipping this evening. I'll carry the conversation on via PM.

(Also need to find them ... just moved a week ago, but I have a pretty good idea of where they are.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

right-click --> save as

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think I might actually get those absurdly expensive Miami Dolch DSA caps from Massdrop.

I'm basically approaching peak keyboard ... have a TKL with Clears that works perfectly for me, though I have one with Greens coming. After that basically nothing left for me to try in switches and form-factor.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

surebet posted:

there's a world of interesting stuff out there in vintage computing, if you want to try new stuff.

miami seems like it'd run you about $72 for a tkl layout, although i'd spend the extra :20bux: to get the numpad kit as well to futureproof the purchase.
Thanks for pointing that out -- pretty sure I'll never get a full keyboard again, but I do have a separate numpad this kit accommodates nicely with the extras.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Since no one recommended Clears ... I'm going to recommend Clears. Sounds perfect to me based on how he described his situation.

More resistant, more tactile, not noisy unless you're REALLY pounding on them and bottoming them out. O-rings would help with that.

Aside, the most mushy-feeling keyboard I ever had was Blacks. I haven't tried Reds, but guessing linear just isn't for me.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 14, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Total bargain if I quit drinking for it

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Have you had white before? Massdrop shipped me the wrong Poker 2 once upon a time ... and gave me a large refund to keep the white-capped one I didn't want. For that price I wasn't going to argue. Thought I'd hate the caps, but they're fine. The PBT doesn't seem to get dirty so easily either.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

And it's apparently selling. Geez.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

shifts/enter/backspace/spacebar and the 2U numpad keys have stabilisers.

I didn't find them to be much trouble. I'd usually first put the pegs into the key, then lift the metal loop attached to the keyboard, and then hook the pegs into the loop.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I agree with you guys, normally takes ages. My Varmilo numpad exceptionally just shipped to me after less than three weeks from the buy date though. Wasn't promised until late July.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The stock caps were spectacularly lovely in comparison. I don't think all ABS is that bad, but those particular painted caps were.

I know some CODE owners though that haven't had the paint-wearing-away problem that chippy and I had.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

krut posted:

Not sure why there is so much hype for the k-type.
"interesting" switches. Nice bezel and construction: looks a lot better than a Varmilo to me for example. RGB lighting if you care about that. Some people really care about the programability and it's quite unique in that regard.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kind of silly but have you tried rebooting the computer?

Had a similar-sounding issue with my CODE and that seemingly solved it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I wonder if the port just shuts off if it detects a short.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Doh, have three orders on Massdrop where I can't easily update the shipping address. Hopefully their customer support can handle it.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it's an issue for anyone else. I guess these items are shipping directly from the vendor rather than their warehouse.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah ditto ... didn't seem to be a big deal at all. Wonder why they took away that functionality.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Solid point. Thanks.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gone through half a dozen keyboards at this point and each allowed easy disabling of the Winkey. And it's been pointed out, could just remove the cap too in a pinch.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

May as well share this silly thing here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Horizontal Tree posted:

I like these little macro boards, did you build or buy this one?
I built this one. Hadn't soldered anything in 15 years ... was a cinch.

The software for programming it is dreadful though. The macro you want better save you a lot of time/tedium to be worth it.
Assigning single actions like media controls is more reasonable.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Have a WASD TKL with Greens awaiting me at the post office. I think I'm going to love it, but hope it isn't too annoying to people around me hah.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

surebet posted:

the good news is that it's sturdy enough to use as an improvised weapon when your colleagues are inevitably going to rise up and try to murder you
My office is semi-private, but I mostly expect to use it at home. Just hope the sound doesn't carry to wherever my wife happens to be.

I have greens on a numpad and my macropad. Obviously it's not the same as regular typing ... but they generally sound less annoying than blues to me. The blues sound much "sharper".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Do the o-rings actually do anything for the activation click? I thought they were to prevent the bottoming-out clack.

Sidenote post office employee refused to give me my package without proof that I work at this address :mad: ... guess he gets to see my pay cheque. (Annoying because just proving my identity has always been fine before.)

There's only one other person with my name in the world lol.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 12, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You've heard that Cherry doesn't make greens (nor clears) compatible with RGB eh? You can get single colour backlighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

...I love the Cherry MX Greens. But I'm going to assume the click would be annoying as gently caress to anyone else. I effortlessly no longer bottom keys out, besides the spacebar. It just feels "right".

• Locked thread