Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm still rocking the age-old Logitech Internet Navigator. It's getting more and more yellow.

Some things I like about it:

1) Scroll wheel on the left - great for just browsing through long SA megathreads
2) Media control keys
3) Proper layout and space between keys
4) Wired - gently caress wireless input devices

Most of the shortcut buttons are pretty retarded (2000 internet boom thing), but it's just impossible to find a proper keyboard with a scroll wheel it seems :/.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

weapey posted:

In all my time, I've managed to convince one person to get a mechanical, and that was to sell a broken mechanical I had so he got it massively discounted.

In my current office, they provide split Microsoft keyboards, and none of them would even consider 'regressing' to one of those "standard-layout, noisy overpriced keyboards" that this thread loves.

The noise is a factor to be considered for an office, though. I'd probably be pretty annoyed if my co-workers had a Model M or similar. Clak-clak-clak all day long.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'd like to go back to basics with a simple ol' style square keyboard (gently caress rounded Ctrl keys), but having a wrist rest of important due to ergonomics. Anyone got some good generic wrist rests? Preferably not gel, as I think it gets moist.

I've also read a tip from a guy who just used a rolled up towel. Anyone tried that?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Nevermind, just found a great deal on two unused "new old stock" KeyTronic keyboards, WITH wrist rests. :) They cost me about $30 for the pair.

Check out that lightning bolt spacebar. :rock:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

nftyw posted:

As much as I like the feel of Keytronics, just looking at that layout makes me want to choke someone. 99% of the time when I see a KeyTronic I think "Why can't they make a keyboard that doesn't have an unnecessarily large enter and tiny backspace like the rest of the civilized world?"
All Danish keyboards are like that, and I think also most other European. So, it's no problem for me, who has been used to it for decades.

It's rubber domed yeah, and I believe most if not all KeyTronics are rubber? It doesn't have the feel of a mechanical of course, but I can feel myself typing like a ninja on it, so I'm quite happy.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

As I now have no media keys, I wrote the following AutoHotkey script for adjusting volume and mute; which were the only media keys I used. Perhaps other goons can find it useful.

It binds Ctrl+Shift+NumpadPlus to volume up, Ctrl+Shift+NumpadMinus to volume down, and Ctrl+Shift+NumpadAsterisk to mute (toggle). Adjust as you please.
code:
^+NumpadAdd::
	Send {Volume_Up}
	Sleep 100
	return

^+NumpadSub::
	Send {Volume_Down}
	Sleep 100
	return

^+NumpadMult::
	Send {Volume_Mute}
	Sleep 100
	return
Another tip I can give is to set some global hotkeys in your media player (if it has such - WinAmp does, for example) for play/pause/stop.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

m3monster posted:

I also recommend the K70 it is the best built keyboard I have ever used. The only issue I have with it is that the extendable legs on the bottom do not have a rubber contact pad so if you use all 4 to make the board higher it will slide a slight bit. However, if you only use the 2 in the top to tilt it, it's not an issue.
Tip: Never tilt your keyboard (edit: towards you), it's horrible for ergonomics. If anything, it's preferable to tilt it forwards, like this:

http://jatinganhotra.com/images/Microsoft_Natural_Ergonomic_keyboard_reverse_slope.jpg

I gave that a shot for a while, although it had the unfortunate side effect of making my elbows sore - literally sores that never healed, because I was now resting my arms on my elbows.

Gonna end up a drat cripple from "keyboard hands". Anyone else suffering? I sit at the computer all day at work and also for quite some time at home.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 14, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

404notfound posted:

I do like the profile, though, because it helps the arrow keys to stand out a little bit from the adjacent shift and delete keys. It can be especially annoying in Windows 8 now that hitting delete on a file to send it to the recycle bin no longer pops up a confirmation prompt. I'll be using the arrows to navigate a list of files and then fat-finger delete, and then I have to go into the recycle bin, sort by last deleted, and restore it. Hopefully this will help with that problem.
I really shouldn't be handing out advice to someone who buys a keyboard with non-standard placement of the ins/del/home/end/pgup/pgdn keys, :smug:, but a tip: Hitting Ctrl+Z undos a recent file operation, such as having deleted a file. That'll save you from having to dig through the recycle bin.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

What's the point of a small keyboard though? Faster operation through less hand movement, or ergonomics since you can have the mouse closer to the keyboard? Just wondering. I feel utterly crippled whenever I have troubleshoot a laptop with ins/del/etc. spewn all over the right side of the keyboard.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Agreed posted:

Man, the rubber domes on the K60 don't feel nearly as nice as the MX Cherry Reds, but they feel a ton better than the rubber domes on wal-mart special/el cheapo commodity OEM keyboards. There's obviously a range of construction quality in rubber domes, and apart from the MX Reds and Browns (and maybe Blacks as they're less likely to bottom out as easily) and for all I know anyway Topre I don't know of anything with that kind of soft-touch feel... What are some good rubber dome boards?

This is de facto the mechanical keyboard megathread, since they're becoming a real marketable item and are ultra nice, but I am interested in learning more about quality rubber domes. Surely they exist, even if they may not have the n-key rollover features or whatever. This is a bit hazy as it's been a couple years I seem to remember that apart from the weird layout issues my Microsoft Ergo Wireless Desktop 8000 (I think that's what it was, 7000 maybe) had a good feel to the keys. Any innovative or especially well done rubber domes?
I posted a bit ago about how I re-discovered the KeyTronic keyboards. I found two for cheap, and would you believe my luck; I just found another one in the trash of my apartment. It's a really good keyboard with a good feel.

I've used a Logitech Wave before that for a few years, and while it has an okay key key feel (the F-keys are really firm though), the layout stinks. Rounded keys and just-a-bit off placed keys for the sake of design can gently caress off. Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Robzilla posted:

So I have a Razer Tarantula that's pretty drat old and it's starting to show. Keys are starting to crap out on me so I think it's time to trade it in for a better model. I'm not touching Razer ever again, I've been a long time support of them for a long time, but I've been burnt to many times giving them a second or third chance.

I figure my choices are limited as I'm used to media keys and macro buttons. Honestly I could leave the macro's behind, not much of an issue.

So I am thinking about the K95 as it has all that I am used to. K70 comes in a very close second.

I would appreciate some other suggestions if there are any.
You can live fine without media keys. I recently ditched a Logitech keyboard with media keys for a regular old fashioned keyboard, and I just use a mix of Winamp global hotkeys and AutoHotkey macros (for volume control) for it.

• Locked thread