Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31

These guys are a bit crazy about keyboards but there are a lot of reviews, pictures, and discussions about all the different types of switches etc. They even have sound clips of different keyboards... Most people over there recommend brown switches for gaming over black.

My Saitek EII started wearing out after about 6 months (2nd saitek) because they are about as terrible as Logitech keyboards. After browsing the geekhack forums and not seeing anything positive about Deck I bought a Filco FKBN104M/EB. It finally got here today and I love it already. It's the best keyboard I've ever used.

This is also a decent option if you want a mechanical switch keyboard but a few people at geekhack had some problems with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823224001&Tpk=abs%20m1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Jetfire posted:

Filco's Majestouch line recently released a Tactile Click version that uses the clicky-type Cherry Blue Switches. They also released a blank version, like the Das Ultimate, in limited quantities. I'm seriously contemplating this since it's a fair bit cheaper than the Das. Does anyone have hands-on experience with either or both?

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4370&

Decent comparison of the two. I was considering the Das too but it's too expensive and didn't look that great compared to the Filco.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

sotorious posted:

Difference between the blue and brown is the noise level? as in blue being louder?

Can you get these keyboards at any type of retail store? or do you have to order them? Also anyone that has ordered from there, what is standard shipping like 3 days?

I listened to some sound files comparing the two and blues were far too loud for me. I got the brown keys and I remember shipping taking a few days longer than somewhere like Amazon.

I've had my filco for a couple months and it's the best keyboard I've ever used.

edit: I posted this way earlier in the thread but if you want a good comparison of keyboards as well as other things like sound files head here http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31 they are a bit crazy over keyboards but better reviews than other places.

Glumwheels fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 31, 2009

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

What is the best place to order a Filco Tenkeyless Chery Blue? I think elite keyboards has been linked a couple times in this thread but they are all out of stock. Any other trustworthy places to order them from?

I think he's the only dude that sells them.

The only people that find the screen on the g11/g15 useful are the people trying to justify spending a ton of money on a terrible keyboard.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Has anyone bought a keyboard or keycaps from The Keyboard Company? I'm trying to find replacement keycaps for my Filco Majestouch. I'm looking for black keycaps with white lettering.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Astrobastard posted:

Ive done a fair bit of googling for keycap sets, I need a replacement set for my WASD and ebay seems to have the best selection. I think I'm just going to end up ordering a set directly from WASD themselves instead, as you can go completely balls out on the customisation and get the colours and lettering exactly how you'd want it (etched/lasered, font size and type etc). I can't find any printed keycap sets on The Keyboard Company, just blank ones, but the website is a bit difficult to navigate so there may be some hiding

Their website does suck but they have 2 sets in stock. With shipping from the UK, they're still cheaper than WASD so I'll probably go with them. I like the black keycaps over colored anyway.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

I changed my mind, I think I'm going to go for something different and get these instead for my Filco.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Blue-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/230968344724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c6c94094

I want to try out these thicker keycaps and the dye sublimation since they'll wear out much slower.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

wa27 posted:

Jesus, $1 per key? :eyepop:

I'm trying to get a better price but if I can't I'll probably go with something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Klyith posted:

Dyesub PBT sets are expensive, though that's more expensive than most because of the color. But even if you get in on one of the bulk group-buys that people at geekhack or deskthority organize, they're still like $50 or more for a set.

It's expensive to make keycaps that will outlast the heat death of the universe.

Death to plus-size enter keys.

Yeah, that's why I want a set. I'm going to see if I can get in on a group buy in the next month.

• Locked thread