Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Sasquatch! posted:

I really wanted to like this keyboard because I liked it's added functionality, but I absolutely hated the feel of it. YMMV of course.

I still swear by the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000. They keys feel fantastic, and it has play/pause and volume keys. The only thing I wish it had was a built-in USB hub, but other than that, it's perfect.

A great keyboard - I use it at work and its really easy to use. Minimal adjustment to the curve required. I enjoyed it so much at work I bought another for home as well, and works great for gaming as well. I eventually replaced it with a Lycosa, which I find better for gaming but isn't as comfortable as the Curve 2000 for typing.

Both keyboards have low-profile keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
I believe I got one of the first Filco browns in a UK-layout, which arrived on Wednesday. So far, I love it.

I'm not quite up to normal typing speed yet, but that's because I got used to a Microsoft Curve keyboard before. The keys are so sensitive I can sometimes catch other keys and they actuate, but I blame myself for that rather than the keyboard. I feel like I can type quicker with it.

If you're getting browns expecting a quiet keyboard, it is still the noisiest keyboard in my office by far. No-one's complained about it or even mentioned it, but I'm still a little conscious about it. I've never used any other mechanical keyboard before though so I couldn't compare it to the blue switches for example.

The keyboard feels solid too. Doesn't feel flimsy in any way.

Also, it's great for gaming, better than my Lycosa keyboard (which I'm thinking of selling now)

weapey fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 29, 2010

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

simcole posted:

I'm looking for a new keyboard that needs to have the following features:

Wired USB
Soft/quiet keys that don't have to be pressed down far
non-ugly, no split, wave design
Under $70

Bonus if it does macros. Volume / Multimedia not needed but also not a requirement. What keyboard do I need?

The MS Curve 2000 sounds right up your street, and it's cheap as chips too, probably less than $20.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

simcole posted:

Thanks for that. I edited my post to say preferably non-wave but the wife wants a wave design. We'll look at our options and decide. I loved my 9.99 special no frills mechanical, but she keeps complaining about it.

Although I've just got myself a Filco, I still have 2 of those keyboards lying about, 1 at work and 1 at home. They are very comfortable to use, and the curve is really easy to adapt to and you might just learn to like it. For the cost of it, it's worth a punt.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Linux Nazi posted:

Not entirely true, I use a G13 that has the exact same screen and it's semi-useful for vent in raids.
The G13 owns owns owns though, so it is basically just a bonus to have that pointless screen attached to the thing.

Out of interest, do you find yourself using the joystick at all? I'd consider that as a WASD replacement, but find I wouldn't use the joystick at all, as I WASD with my right hand.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

EnergizerFellow posted:

... such as the Cherry G84-4100 or G84-5000.

You only have 2KRO with the G84 series - or at least on my G84-4100. The keys feel nice but if you're playing an FPS I can hit 2KRO quite easily (moving a direction while changing weapon for example). I understand that the other keyboards in the G84 series have different keys (membrane?) to the G84-4100, although this isn't first-hand knowledge and is just something I think I've read somewhere (probably geekhack.org)

I'm assuming this might be important, as you were originally using a 'gamers' keyboard.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Those wondering on the WASD replacements for the Filco, here's mine.

Not sure whether the WASD keys make it looker better or worse, but the red ESC key is surely an essential purchase :cool:

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Teledahn posted:

Is this the threadsensus? For a handful of reasons buying a Filco would be pricy to ship to me, but a few local places have Das, model S and professional, which is somewhat cheaper, and far easier to acquire.

Even if it doesn't compare to a Filco, I'm betting it's sturdier than this 20$ bloated logitech board I've got currently.

Opinions, anyone?

Starting to get some wear on the keys of my Filco, but the feel is as good as day one (except better, since I'm actually used to it now).

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

url posted:

I want a set of blanks, but I cant find any info on wether filco keycaps will fit on a steelseries.

As I understand it the SteelSeries 7G (mechanical one) are made in the same factory as the Filco's, and use Cherry black switches. Any key cap designed to fit on a Cherry switch should (in theory) fit on the SS 7G.

Your problem is that I thought the SS 7G used a slightly non-standard key layout, which isn't US or UK standard layout. This means you might have leave some existing keys in as you won't be able to find a replacement (i.e. the enter key), and you run the risk of having keys with a different camber if you've got different keycaps on them.

YMMV.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

HalloKitty posted:

I'm intrigued by expensive and quality keyboards, but I'm not too sure what I'll get it out of it -- I'm sat with my keyboard at a retarded angle resting on my knees, terrible posture, and it's a membrane based keyboard (Microsoft/Razer reclusa) and on the earlier typing test I'm still getting 100+ WPM with 99%+ accuracy. (I type with Dvorak, mind).

Is there a real benefit, or is it just preference?

If your wrists don't hurt and you don't hate your keyboard then don't worry about it. Most people are happy with crappy OEM keyboards, mice and monitors; the other end of the scale require the absolute best and are willing to pay for it. Most of the people in this thread with mechanical keyboards either suffer from some wrist pain or might fall into the 'extreme tech' bracket in some capacity (I'm a little bit of both).

I say go mechanical, but I use a keyboard upwards of 50-60 hours a week. If I drove that much I would make sure I had a drat-good comfy car - others are happy saving pennies with their shagged crapmobile. Just comes down to taste if anything.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
I think the issues with the blue Filco LED are overstated. I have a cherry brown Filco with the blue LEDs and they only glare if I'm reaching over my desk (like the back of my monitor or something) and my eye goes directly over the LED. 99% of the time I don't even notice it, and I hear people having DIY fixes such as sticking masking tape over it.

I use it in a well-lit office though. Can't see any blue rings on the ceiling or anything.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Been using browns (Filco) for the last year or so, keeping my keyboard at work. I got sick of using a dome keyboard at home though, so I've just dropped a ton on some blues for work.

I'll give you my thoughts on my preference when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow).

edit: Argh, out of stock :(
e2: Got one from elsewhere!

weapey fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 7, 2010

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

New Character posted:

Nope, I'm in the UK. I checked the razer website randomly the other day and saw that they were in stock and available for next day delivery so thought why not. It's weird because it's been really difficult to get my hands on a mechanical keyboard before now as nobody seems to deliver to Europe.

For future reference, you can get UK layout Filco keyboards from UK-based company http://www.keyboardco.com/ (great service, email the owner and he'll respond to any questions you have - a really nice bloke). I understand they also stock some EU-based layouts (Italian, etc.) I think http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/ act as a reseller for them as well.

UK layout attached.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
I've got 2 Filco's now, blues and brown.

The blues are noisier, but I don't think it's a problem. It doesn't bother anyone in my office but there isn't anyone particularly sensitive or awkward like that. It is very satisfying.

For impressions, I love them both for different reasons. I work as a software developer, and the blues are definitely better for avoiding typos when typing awkward (i.e. non-natural) characters, such as {} and so on. The keys are a little harder to actuate so you tend to not catch them as much with your fat sausage fingers.

I still love my browns, which I use at home. They are definitely better for gaming and for wasda. I'd definitely recommend browns for anyone looking for a mechanical keyboard for gaming over blues, which is what the new Razer keyboard uses. I can understand why they have though - the browns feel 'mushier' (well, softer) and has a more subtle feel than the blues when comparing against a rubber dome keyboard. The blues are much more different, and definitely have a more obvious mechanical feel to them. I can imagine that Razer feared that a number of consumers and maybe reviewers wouldn't even notice the difference between a brown switch and a rubber dome.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

pienipple posted:

Can't RMA it because it's an open box from Best Buy Auctions.

You should still fire off an email - I've heard their RMA policy puts all other companies to shame, and they are very willing to make sure your Logitech gear is happy working gear.

This isn't from experience, but heard of people getting g500 mice when their g5 died on them. YMMV.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
So what's the Filco wrist rest actually like then? Seemed like a high premium to pay for something like that.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

coldfire07 posted:

How much louder are the blues compared to the browns? And does anyone have an idea how much louder the blues would be with the o-ring mod?

Can't really talk about the o-ring mod, but I have both a blue and brown key Filco and the blues are noisier, but I don't think either are noisy enough to distract or piss me off while typing. No-one in my office complains about me typing, but I do work in an office of pretty laid-back people.

I'd say that if you ask yourself the question as to whether you're a fussy or an awkward person compared to the next guy, the blue switches won't be an issue. They're louder, but you might just find it satisfyingly louder anyway :)

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Got 3 Filco's now, after receiving an RMA for a Filco with a busted left-Alt key.

Feel like a PC snob.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

My "H" button on my Filco Majestouch has stopped working for some reason. Does anyone have any information on repairing it please? It's still under warranty so I could send it to be repaired if recommended, but I'd rather do it myself (if it's possible) to save time and money.

The left alt key went on my Filco and I registered a RMA as it was still in warranty. I got a replacement posted to me when they were back I stock.

I could live with remapping the left win key to alt for a couple of weeks though - kinda sucks it's a char key smack in the middle of your keyboard.

Edit: this was in the UK. f course, YMMV, especially with reading about stock issues within this thread

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
I've Got two Filcos, one with blue switches and another with browns. Being a UK resident, they both have a UK layout.

I favour the browns and want to get another one, so I want to arrange with someone to swap my Filco blue with their Filco brown. Since it's unlikely that someone here wants to do that (PM me if you do!) I'm going to put the blue up for sale at £75 + p&p (should be about £80 in total)

I don't really have to say much about the Filcos - the pages and pages of endorsements in this thread pretty much says it all about them - they are one of the best around, certainly the best available in the UK.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

polystyrus posted:

Hi guys, great thread. I'm looking at replacing a terrible rubber dome keyboard. It was cleaned badly, and now all the keys stick. It was never brilliant, but now the key activation really takes a very firm punch.

As much as I'd love to jump right into cherry browns, I really don't have the cash. :(

Here are my requirements:
  • Don't really want a numpad. Mostly it just takes up space.
  • Uk layout.
  • Under £50.

It looks like this pretty much fills my requirements:
http://www.stuff-uk.net/p-233153.aspx (Cherry G84-4100)
Cherry ML switches.

I have a question, though. I can't seem to find out if it has full-size keycaps. The cynic in me says if they don't advertise it, then they're not. I have above average size hands, and I don't really get on with netbook-size keyboards.

However, my ghetto method of measuring (blowing up tiny image to the specified width and using measuring tape) the key size seems to show there's not much difference in size.

Anyone know?

It's not as bad as you would think. Bottom keyboard is a Filco Majestouch, the one above it is a 8400. I've roughly tried to line up the Q's in the picture below so you get an idea of the key size compared to a normal keyboard. The 8400 is a UK-layout.

Typing on the 8400 isn't that bad, it's more getting used to the keyboard and the layout of all the auxiliary keys. Hitting right-shift was particularly annoying (regularly hitting the up arrow instead) and the enter key will take a while for you to get used to. There is no right CTRL key which may or may not be a deal breaker.

It's a good keyboard if you are severely lacking in space, but otherwise I'd save up some extra pennies and drop it on a tenkeyless mechanical. Nothing compares, really.

Crappy generic smartphone picture.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Anyone used topres AND cherry keys, and want to give a synopsis? Just starting to see UK-layout topre keyboards.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Spilled beer on a Filco, which was fixed by mashing the sticky keys and pushing the keys in at angles to scrape the walls of the key socket.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

ClosedBSD posted:

I've always heard this as the reason why, but to be honest I've never played a game where more than 1-2 keys + modifiers were used for anything, with the exception of a laptop keyboard that prevented me from crouch jumping in counter-strike.

If you are playing an FPS, 2-key rollover would cause some gamers issues if they are going forward and strafing and pressing space (for jump for example).

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
While on the NKRO topic, my Filco has NKRO, but the numpad isn't NKRO.

Since I'm a lefty, I changed my WASD cluster to the numpad, and I would get issues when pressing 8 & 4 on the numpad, 0 would not activate. Moved my WASD cluster to pl;' but not had any issues since then.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Salt Fish posted:

Is that with PS/2 or USB?
This is with usb, ps2 might prove better but don't really have a problem anymore to warrant trying ps2

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

HalloKitty posted:

Which is silly, because the people who buy the most expensive keyboards seem to be into changing which keyboard they use all the time, let alone 30 years. Plenty of rubber dome keyboards last for many, many years. Long life simply isn't a major concern, and to be honest, you'll probably get the keyboard filthy/scratched/damaged before the switches ever give up.

This is just how we justify our purchases to our co-workers.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

HalloKitty posted:

Which is fine, people are free to buy high quality keyboards, but I don't expect to sell the idea to many people that are probably happy with their squishy rubber dome or their cute scissor style laptop keyboard.

In all my time, I've managed to convince one person to get a mechanical, and that was to sell a broken mechanical I had so he got it massively discounted.

In my current office, they provide split Microsoft keyboards, and none of them would even consider 'regressing' to one of those "standard-layout, noisy overpriced keyboards" that this thread loves.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Pilsner posted:

The noise is a factor to be considered for an office, though. I'd probably be pretty annoyed if my co-workers had a Model M or similar. Clak-clak-clak all day long.

Without a doubt. I do get a bit a banter about my blues in the office, but no-one seems to be kicking off. We have the radio on though so isn't a problem.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

NihilCredo posted:

Here's a question: how short can the key depth on a mechanical keyboard get? I'm tempted to get myself some Cherry Black goodness, but after years of laptop use and now an OCZ keyboard that I picked specifically for its 3mm or so of key depth, I find it pretty uncomfortable to type on "tall" keys".

Have a look a couple of pages back, or have a look on geekhack for the rubber ring mod. It doesn't change the activation point, but will reduce the key travel.

Mechanical keyboards activate half way through the keypress however, so it's a very different experience to a rubber dome with full size keys, especially if you're looking touch-typist.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

NihilCredo posted:

I see... thanks. I don't think it would be wise to buy an expensive keyboard AND mod it (ie = no return) hoping I will like it, unfortunately.

Do you perhaps remember if desktop scissor switch keyboards were discussed at some point in the thread - i.e. which ones are most sturdy and reliable? I suppose they might be a good alternative for my needs.

Modding a mechanical keyboard with rubber rings is reversible. The process simply involves pulling off the keycap (which you can do on any cherry switched based keyboard) and putting a rubber ring over the stem of the key. Reversing the mod is simply a case of taking off the key and removing the rubber ring. Removing keycaps doesn't void your keyboard warranty, and you won't break them if you use a keypulling tool. Reputable mechanical keyboards are really built to last.

Have a look at the soft-landing pads on EK. You'll also notice them selling a custom key pulling tool and custom keycaps. Can't beat a red ESC key :smug:

Last I remember about people's preferences with scissor-like keys is either the Apple keyboard (which some PC quirks IIRC) or a Logitech one which has shallow keys, but with some SKUs having poor NKRO. Don't really tend to take too much notice, considering I'm one of the resident mechanical keyboard snobs. :v:

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

ufarn posted:

Aw hell naw. Gauntlet thrown, motherfucker.

I'll try to contact the keyboardco guys and hear them out about it.

The owner is called Bruce, and I've had a number of email conversations with him gushing over various keyboards. The guy knows his stuff and I'm sure he'll go out of his way to find out if he didn't.

Some of the best customer service I have ever received is from keyboardco.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Best bet is to give it a week. Some of the circuitry might be shorting out.

Probably won't do any harm to pop all the keycaps off and put it in a bowl of rice.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Rekkit posted:

I have a mechanical Filco keyboard and am using a PS/2 connection. When my computer sleeps, the keyboard doesn't wake it up. Is there a particular reason for this?

Probably something to do with the PS/2 standard. You can't just plug in a keyboard while the PC is on and expect it to work, for example.

In truth I honestly don't know. My Filco is plugged in via USB and it never goes to sleep either.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Really smashed the keyboard today at work, where I have a Filco with blues, and really began to feel some RSI in my right wrist by the end of the day (didn't have a problem at all before I became a ReSharper ninja) Don't get me wrong - it would have been much worse with a crappy keyboard.

I have a Filco with browns at home which I'm thinking of taking in tomorrow. I'll report back if I do, just in case anyone is sat on the fence before wondering which one to pull the trigger on. I still don't know which one I prefer overall - but browns certainly for gaming.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Salt Fish posted:

Despite what some people have hinted at in this thread there is no reason to think a fancy mechanical keyboard would be more ergonomic than a regular membrane keyboard. Keyboard shape determines egro qualities, switches determines the feel.

Get a Kinetic if you want both at once.

Might have thrown out the wrong message. Really was cranking out a lot of keystrokes today, but was ultimately happy I was doing it on a mechanical. You are definitely right - I get much less strain in my finger joints with the feel of the keys (lack of bounce probably) but accept that I'll get more in my hand or wrist if I'm using pretty poor posture.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Anyone know a pain-free way of cleaning a Filco? Just realised the one at home is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Tornhelm posted:

I've been thinking about trying out the Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition - 10keyless, backlit and those stupid macro keys on the side have been removed. Only problem is that I'm fairly sure it uses cherry blues and not reds/browns/blacks.

Have a search for the Ducky 2012 Year of the Dragon edition. Not the cheapest however.

• Locked thread