Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

ChewyLSB posted:

However, when I got back to school, I realized something. On some programs, namely, command prompt and Cygwin, no matter what I do I can't change it to dvorak. I guess this makes sense, since I'm using the language in windows, and all that that probably does is re-interpret the signal as it's coming in, and Cygwin and the command prompt probably completely ignore that.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do (short of buying a hardware dvorak keyboard, which there don't seem to be many of to begin with) to fix this?
Command prompt will certainly remap to Dvorak. I used to do it in XP and I'm doing it now in Windows 7. Make sure you change the layout per-window; if it's not the default language, you have to set it for every new window (and once in a while you have to do it twice for reasons I don't fully understand).

I think you're screwed with Cygwin though. You'd need a keyboard hardwired for Dvorak for that to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread