Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

RichestManInTown posted:

Logitech diNovo Edge

List Price: $179.99

Not great for typing or gaming but man, will it look nice on your coffee table. It's pricy, but if you set up a quality media center it will probably end up being the cheapest part. Touch controls and mouse pad could be a little more responsive but they get the job done.

I'd like to add that it has impressive battery life- it'll easily last a month of heavy use without charging.

~Coxy posted:

1) A "programmer's" keyboard. It should have separate keys for braces and parens at the very least, and spare function keys up the wazoo. Dual numpads would be nice too, but you can always buy a seperate USB numpad so that's not a big deal.

I use a Logitech G11 at work. 18 programmable function keys, with buttons to switch between 3 modes. The only problem I have is that I can't remember what all of them do- it's easy enough to check, but I want one of these if it ever comes out: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-aux/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

malefactor posted:

g15 + screw driver + opening it = good by LCD screen ribbon

Yeah, that part is a bit tricky. I googled instructions before pulling it open and was able to get it open without breaking anything. Didn't do me any good though, as the printed traces had rusted away and I didn't have any luck repairing them.

Mine took a good dozen spills before things started going screwy, though.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

redeyes posted:

I don't understand why Microsoft and Logitech spend all this time with new keyboard designs, putting new keys all over the loving place and generally messing with every detail EXCEPT THE loving KEY SWITCHES. They use the worst loving mush switches imaginable and I can't ever use them because of this. Why?!!

Because switches don't sell [many] keyboards. People look at the pictures on newegg or on the front of the box, and see what fancy keys they have, without ever touching the actual keyboard. On top of that, for most people it's all they know; even if they would prefer another switch style they are completely unaware such a thing exists.

And even if they do prefer another switch style, know they prefer that switch style, and are even aware the keyboard has that switch style, you still have to convince them to pay more for it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A month or so ago, I was playing some games that are much easier to control with a numpad. I had a little travel keypad, but it wobbled and it was too light to stay in place well. The Filco keypad looked nice and sturdy, with a good weight to it, so I decided to splurge and buy it, for $50 shipped. At the time, I had absolutely no interest in getting a new keyboard. But the keys on that numpad... they felt so good. It was always there, in the back of my mind... "ooh, I need to type some numbers, I get to use my numpad!". Yesterday, at work, I had to type a 6 digit number, and immediately the thought popped into my mind "I wish I were at home so I could use my Filco numpad!". That was the last straw. At that point, the only question was whether to go with browns or blues. And just now, I finally settled on the browns, and placed an order. Now, the only question is whether or not I would feel stupid carrying it between work and home every day.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Tab8715 posted:

Hmm. I'm seriously considering the Filco Cherry Browns, but maybe the Blues too? Are the blues louder than the browns? That's my only main concern. I want a keyboard I a can mash forever on when I'm programming as I can't do that with my Apple keyboard, Thinkpad laptop works better - or at least feels like it.

The blues will definitely be louder than the browns. The noise from the browns is pretty much just the impact when the keys bottom out; the actual travel doesn't make all that much noise (thus, the o-ring hack from earlier in this thread). I can't really feel the bump while I'm typing on my browns, so if you want feedback to lift your fingers before you bottom out, you'll probably want the blues.

FWIW, I was a pretty big fan of my Thinkpad keys before I gummed some of them up, and I think my Filco with the browns is the best keyboard I've ever used by a huge margin. I've actually improved my productivity while programming because I look forward to the opportunity to type things out on it!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I'm doing about 85 on my logitech dinovo (scissor keys), 80 with my Filco. I type faster with the Filco, but I screw up ordering more, so the corrections drag me down.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
From my reading, you should just get a Filco unless you really like cleaning fingerprint smudges off of shiny surfaces.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Both blues and browns will click when the key impacts the end of the key travel. If you slowly depress a brown switch, midway through the travel you will feel a small bump which is nearly inaudible. The blues will have a fairly loud clicking sound at the same point in the travel. Basically, blues click twice per keypress, browns click once.

Of course, the stem color of the switch is also a rather reliable indicator of what color switch was used.

"Silent" is a pretty stupid name for the brown switch version, since a keyboard with them is still going to be considerably louder than your typical rubber dome keyboard. If you actually want silence with them, you either have to learn to lift your finger before you bottom out the key, or you can put in some sort of cushioning like the rubber o-rings someone used earlier in this thread.

As far as the blindingly bright LEDs in the Filcos, they're only really bad if you look straight into them. They're deep enough that you can't see the emitter from typing positions, which keeps most of the light out of your view. I only notice it anymore if I foolishly look straight into it intentionally, or if I turn off the lights I can see a big blue circle on the ceiling.

Edit:

GoldenNugget posted:

Is the board bulky? How is the build quality? And do the keys have a coating that wears down?

The board is compact, but it has some heft to it; it's much heavier than you'd expect just looking at it. Good build quality is great, although not to the extent that I'd be confident using it as a bludgeoning weapon. I don't have any coating flaking off like some others have mentioned yet, but they key surfaces are definitely starting to wear smooth a bit (that's pretty much unavoidable though).

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 3, 2010

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

fleshweasel posted:

Hoping to hear something about this!

I'm a big fan of my Filco keypad. The same great mechanical switches, and it's got enough weight behind it to stay still while I'm using it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Goo posted:

• 18 programmable keys with 3 mode states each = 54 custom macros per game = ezmode

I love my programmable keys, but can anyone actually remember 54 custom macros? I can only keep track of what 10 or so do at once...

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

coldfire07 posted:

How much louder are the blues compared to the browns? And does anyone have an idea how much louder the blues would be with the o-ring mod?

I would say that the volume of the blues and the browns are quite similar, except the blues will make twice as many clicks. Blues with o-rings would probably sound close to browns without o-rings.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It is seriously common that many keyboards have limitations as to the number and combinations of keys that can be pressed simultaneously. Suggesting that said limitations are part of a conspiracy to upsell to gamers, and not part of a technical implementation to make cheap keyboards cheaper to manufacture, is just paranoia.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Rushdie posted:

I am on the pre-order list for the new Asus Eee slate(pad). The keyboard that comes with it looks exactly like this. Now I'm excitedly hoping that I'll be getting a re-branded version of the 6000.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220961

Anyone know if this is the case?

Hello there preorder buddy. A rebranded 6000 is exactly what the included keyboard is.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I prefer the light feel of the browns over the click of the blues myself. Brown vs. Blue for noise, I'd say they both click at approximately the same volume, it's just that with the blues there are twice as many clicks.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

bloodynose posted:

Still, if you wanted a filco, why not get a Leopold?

No num keypad :(

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ShowTime posted:

I found out today that apparently they make keyboards with everything removed but the main body (the lettered keys). No arrow keys, numpads, etc. Not even sure if there are f1-f12 keys on these keyboards.

Is that true? Where can I find a decent quality one of these?

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Stabby McDamage posted:

Sadly, from what I've read, the USB HID standard allows for NKRO, but the BIOS+OS must work together to turn it on. Since the BIOS guys don't care (6KRO is enough for any normal person), this flag never gets turned on, so the USB keyboard works in the primitive "boot mode" all the time, which is where the 6KRO limit comes from.

That's not quite the issue. The default mode is the standard report protocol, in which the keyboard explains what it's going to be sending (which can be as many keys as desired). The BIOS is supposed to either implement a full USB HID stack, or tell the keyboard that it's a simpleton, please use the simple mode laid out in the boot protocol. Once the OS starts, it resets all USB devices, so they go back to the report protocol, so the OS always has access to that.

The problem is that not all BIOSes do tell the keyboard to use the boot protocol. Which means that if your report protocol doesn't happen to be the same as the boot protocol, your keyboard won't work in some BIOSes at all (and despite the fact that it's the fault of the BIOS, which party do you think consumers will blame?).

There are basically three options for working around it. First, do what the noppoo choc mini is doing and pretend to be three keyboards (doesn't work with OSX). Second, pretend to be two keyboard - one that's marked as a boot device and does the boot protocol, but some flags to make an OS HID drive ignore everything it says, and a second keyboard that does full USB NKRO that's ignored by the OS (better than the three keyboard version, but still risks some issues). Three, use a report protocol that just happens to also conform to the boot protocol, which will allow non-compliant BIOSes to read it as well (as long as they can handle the larger packet size... some might crash, which sounds worse, but the consumer will probably blame the true culprit).

#3 seems like the best option, and a few keyboards are likely using it (most notably, the MS Sidewinder X4). It's probably been limited in use in practice because before Windows 7 SP1, issues with the USB HID driver could cause problems if you exceeded 6KRO anyway.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I've seen some complaints in the past about the wire key puller scratching keys. Well, WASD has recently added a plastic key puller.

I want to order a WASD keyboard but I'm afraid I won't like whatever custom color scheme I decide to go with... or if I just go all black then I'm not really taking advantage of it...

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Pretty much all standalone numpads suck because they don't have the mass to stay put. The Filco numpad I got is a lot more hefty and works well enough, but that was $40, and probably more now that elitekeyboards doesn't carry them.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ZombieIsland posted:

I like a keyboard that is a little big

I think size-wise it would run WASD > Leopold > Filco, but they've all got the same sized keys in the same layout, so it's a difference of an extra fraction of an inch around the edge.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It looks to me like the key moves are to cut down on pinky stretches.

I think the hardest thing that would be hardest to get used to with that keyboard is using the right shift for question marks. I never use my right shift so that would feel pretty weird. Moving the shift and control keys up a row would probably be pretty confusing as well.

That said, the reprogrammability and split spacebar make that thing surprisingly tempting... with a little bit of reconfiguration it could make for much more comfortable programming in some cases.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Olivil posted:

My friend is looking at a blank full size keyboard with brown in the 100$ area, anything other than Leopold and Das?

There's also WASD.

Edit: Oh, awesome. WASD is now selling individual custom keycaps.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 17, 2011

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm a bit concerned about the key marking with WASD. How much can you feel the laser etched keys? I want a smooth surface and don't really like the idea of being able to feel every line of my giant novelty sized W key.

You can easily feel the laser engraved keys, but the laser etched keys should be totally smooth.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Clanpot Shake posted:

How long do the custom WASD keyboards take to make/ship? I ordered one late last week but I haven't seen anything from them.

They took two or three days to ship mine, but that wasn't anywhere near the holidays.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Fuzz posted:

The argument that it stops you from looking at the keys frankly doesn't hold much water to me, since my desk is arranged such that my keyboard is under my desk, on a drawer when I type.

Perhaps most of us do not have keyboard trays that are comfortable to use under the desk, or at all? That's kind of an unusual set up, and doesn't nullify the argument for most people.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

HalloKitty posted:

If you needed any further evidence, you only have to look up the genius that is TESV Acceleration Layer or SkyBoost.

Basically pointing out Bethesda compiled Skyrim with no new instruction set flags. Just in case someone is planning to play Skyrim on a Pentium III or your ballin' Athlon XP.

For the record, compiling without SSE2 isn't particularly weird. For most tasks, the performance gain isn't big enough to justify intentionally making it incompatible with some hardware. The biggest gains TESVAL/SkyBoost get are from inlining things though, and disabling that is way more insane than not enabling SSE2.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

HalloKitty posted:

That's fair enough; I did read about the other fixes involved. Either way, it's fuel to the fire. Bethesda definitely did a rush job with Skyrim.

Well, see, that's the funny thing... inlining isn't something that takes a lot of hard work to enable. It's just a compiler setting, and it's normally enabled by default. You'd have to go out of your way to write some really hosed up code for inlining to cause any problems, and yet they apparently intentionally decided to disable it. It's not a matter of rushing, although it certainly speaks poorly of Bethesda.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Elysiume posted:

I spilled soda on my Sidewinder x4. I washed it out in the sink, because cleaning out a keyboard is terrible and I read that it's a fine way to clean a keyboard. How long should I leave it to dry?

That's not a very good way to clean a keyboard; the salts and other minerals in the water can corrode metal wires in the keyboard. It's still probably preferable to leaving soda sitting in there, though. Preferably, you'd soak the keyboard in distilled water.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I would describe blues as sounding pretty similar to Browns, except with twice as many clicks (unless of course you don't bottom out, in which case it's a much bigger difference).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
People wouldn't worship the Model M like they do if it was only 2KRO.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dogen posted:

It's not that they design them that way on purpose, it's that it's cheaper to build them that way really, as my understanding of key rollover goes. So it's not something that they're making it do on purpose to segment their gaming keyboards or whatever, but it does have that side effect, I suppose.

Having many blocked combinations is a limitation of the cheap design, but they still have a lot of control over which combinations are blocked.

Whether they chose w+shift+space as a blocked combination intentionally to upsell gamers, or if they chose it because it was deemed less important that other key combinations, we can't really know. But the latter seems more likely to me - introducing a flaw in your products to convince people to buy more of your products would be rather shortsighted (especially when 99% of the people who encounter the problem won't even understand that it's a limitation of the cheaper product). And on the other hand, w+shift+space wouldn't be considered a particularly important key combination outside of the gamer audience, and thus a lower priority combination for keyboards targeted at a non-gaming audience.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You can just soak it in distilled water for a couple hours. Tap water can be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's a good one to buy even if you don't want funky colors. I will wholeheartedly recommend them.

• Locked thread