Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I use a Miscrosoft Natural Multimedia, like this:

Click here for the full 1024x647 image.

In fact I have 2 of them, one at work and one at home. They're cheap (£15-£20 about 5 years ago I think), comfortable, and built like tanks; and they're both still going strong to this day.

Problem is they're very noisy when typing at any speed and it just so happens that I've recently moved into a deathly quiet office, so I'm constantly getting tuts, tsks and eye rolls; hooray for :britain:.

And advice on a quiet ergo split keyboard with a vertical Home/End block?
I've seen too many negative reviews of the Natural 4000 to give it a look (that and the home/end block is horizontal - boo hiss)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Pendragon posted:

This keyboard is the most comfortable I've ever typed on. Key press is very smooth, layout is fantastic, and you can dynamically remap the entire layout on the fly. I have trigger finger in my pinkies, and the fact that I can rebind any key and hook up a pedal and rebind the shift key has kept me able to type. Best $300 I've ever spent.

I don't suppose it's quiet is it?
It's around £180 though so there's no way I'd buy it without trying it out somewhere, and I can't think of a brick and mortar store in the UK that would let me try one out.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, neither one has the godawful L-shaped enter as shown in the photo on Amazon, thank god.
You probably don't even have a £ sign on your 3 key, colonial peasant. :britain:

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Hi, I'd like to pay an enormous sum for a keyboard please.

There are however caveats involved...
- Quiet. Very quiet if possible. Noise is number 1 problem with my current keyboard.
- Split keyboard; a la Microsoft Natural. Or at least something that wont make my loving wrists BURN.
- Vertical home/end/page/insert block - it makes sense!:colbert:

Currently using a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard, and as much as I love it, my coworkers bitch and moan about the clackity clack that comes from my desk when I get in the groove.

Betting no one can help me!

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

EnergizerFellow posted:

I'll bet :10bux: on Cherry MX blacks. I highly doubt they will offer brown/blue/red options.

The Logitech Wave is a better keyboard for this. Then put it on top of one of those giant padded mouse pads.

For quiet, this is as quiet as you're going to get, so if that's still loud, try taking some depressants and settle down a bit. :)

But isnt the wave a steaming pile of mushy poo poo?
And are you suggesting I drink on the job? ;)

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Utterly anecdotal but my wrists feel like they're burning after an hour on a normally laid out keyboard. I much prefer split ergo ones. (MS Natural Multimedia atm)

That said... The thing that made the most difference was getting a decent mouse. I have ridiculously massive farmer hands, and so I find the logitech MX1000 (of which I have 4!) really helps support my whole hand, so that i move more at the elbow than the wrist.

Im not a doctor, but I am a giant geek who spends endless hours using both keyboard and mouse (and trackIR but thats for a different thread). Cant say that I've tried diluting my ergo keyboards yet though....

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Kin posted:

it won't charge in the charge station and the buttons are starting to not work properly.

Try cleaning the connections on the mouse and charger... worked for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

very posted:

Ok, that sounds more appealing. I use about 35 keybinds at last count (for holy priesting), and cataclysm is going to add a few more.

You need macros.

• Locked thread