Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.
Keyboard Basics

PS/2 or USB?
Some people prefer to use a PS/2 keyboard because it frees up a USB slot, but since most newer computers/motherboards give you plenty of USB ports this probably isn't an issue for most people. Also, your motherboard might require you to use a PS/2 keyboard to mess around with the BIOS or other settings below the OS but, again, newer computers/mbs usually support Legacy USB so you can use your USB keyboard before the OS loads. High-end keyboards that offer unlimited simultaneous key presses will often only work when connected through a PS/2 slot (USB keyboards can usually only handle around six at a time). Most newer keyboards are USB since they offer plug-and-play functionality and a cheap adapter will let you plug it into the PS/2 port. Some extra functions on fancier keyboards will only work through USB.

Switch Type
The type of switch under the key will determine how the keyboard feels during typing. Most keyboards made today, from inexpensive pack-ins to high-end "gaming" equipment, use dome-switches which are cheap to produce and offer a quiet typing experience when used. Purists who long for the days of the IBM Model M or the Apple Extended often deride these modern keyboards as "mushy" or unresponsive and prefer mechanical switch keyboards. Mechanical switch keyboards are often harder to find, more expensive and much louder than dome-switches and usually lack the features of name brand keyboards. However, their fans will tell you that the tactile experience they offer can't be beat. Mechanical switch keyboards are often labeled as tactile (gives a little click when pressed) or linear (no click and more pressure required to depress). Typists usually prefer tactile and gamers tend to go for linear since it is hard to accidentally press a key and it is easier to spam button presses, but it all comes down to personal preference

USB Ports
If you are getting a keyboard and plan to use the extra USB ports they include, double check and make sure they are 2.0 and not 1.1 and that they'll supply enough power for whatever device you want to use. Some keyboards (like the Lycosa) use a second USB cable just for their extra ports, keep that in mind if USB ports are scarce on your machine.

NKRO
NKRO stands for N Key Rollover, the ability to press many keys simultaneously and have them all go through. Works only through PS/2 as USB is limited to 6 presses plus 4 modifiers.

Cherry Switches
Cherry is a manufacturer of high-end, mechanical keyboard switches. They usually find their way onto industrial and retail machines but some keyboard companies use them on PC boards. Here's the difference between the three most common switches:
-Blue: Light key pressure required, you'll feel a bump and hear a click when the key press registers. Often marketed as "Tactile-Click"
-Brown: Very light key pressure required, you'll feel the bump but no click. Often marketed as "Tactile"
-Black: Heavy pressure required, no click, no bump. Often marketed as "Linear"

Now onto the gear...

Gaming Keyboards
There are many keyboards marketed specifically at gamers, here are some of the most popular sorted by brand.

gitech Gaming Keyboard G510

List Price: $119.99

Logitech G19

List Price: $199.99

The G15's big brother offers a full-color LCD screen built in, which you can use to watch youtube videos while you play I guess. Since it is not as popular as the G15 there is less software out there that takes advantage of the screen but that might change as time goes on. It also offers more programmable keys than the G15 and is slightly bigger.

Razer Tarantula

List Price: $99.99

One of the earliest offerings from Razer. The Tarantula is a nice looking keyboard with the usual array of media buttons and programmable macro keys. It's biggest faults are that only the programmable keys are backlit and its shiny case is a magnet for dirt and fingerprints.

Razer Lycosa

List Price: $79.99

The Lycosa is fully backlit and has a very low travel distance for the keys, which have a matte finish and a very nice feel to them. It lacks dedicated macro keys but makes up for this by allowing you to program a macro to any key on the keyboard. The media controls are all on a touchpad which gives no tactile feedback which some people dislike.

Saitek Cyborg

The Cyborg gives you 12 programmable keys, media controls (touchpad based like the Lycosa) and the option of several different backlighting colors. Common complaints are that the metal finished gaming keys feel cheap and that it looks kind of garish.

Steelseries Merc Stealth

List Price: $89.99

The Merc Stealth has a whole section of real estate devoted to gaming controls. Possibly useful for the dedicated FPS gamer but it's not for everyone.

Samsung DT35

List Price: Varies

It may not look like much but it's the board of choice for top Korean Starcraft players. You might have to import one, hence the varied price.

General Use
Obviously, there are far more basic keyboards out there than will fit in this post but here are a few popular choices.

Logitech Wave

List Price: $49.99

A nice looking keyboard with plenty of buttons for things like opening your browser. The wrist rest is also soft and comfortable. The keys are ergonomically placed which might throw some people off if they are used to a standard layout. Also some of the keys use Vista specific functions like Windows Flip 3D. A new wireless version with the same basic form factor comes out in September.

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000

List Price: $59.99

The 4000 has a split key design which some people prefer, but it can be hard to get used to. Like the Wave, it looks nice and has a good array of extra controls. It also features a wedge you can place under the front to give the keyboard a negative incline and reduce your risk of carpal tunnel. Just make sure you can handle the key layout before you buy.

Saitek Eclipse II

List Price: $45.99

A perennial favorite that has proven popular for its sturdy design and better than average looks. It has three backlighting colors (red, blue and purple) as well as a few media controls. Like the Tarantula, it likes to get dirty.

Apple Aluminum Keyboard

A wireless keyboard designed with Mac sensibilities. No numpad to save space. Uses scissor-switches under the keys so it feels like a laptop.

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

For those who want a fully back-lit keyboard with out all the gaming bells and whistles this might be the keyboard for you. Like the Apple it uses scissor switch keys witch give it a laptop feel and a very thin form factor.

Media Center
Media Center keyboards are usually wireless and designed to look nice in a living room, here's a few people seem to like.

Logitech diNovo Edge

List Price: $179.99

Not great for typing or gaming but man, will it look nice on your coffee table. It's pricy, but if you set up a quality media center it will probably end up being the cheapest part. Touch controls and mouse pad could be a little more responsive but they get the job done. It also has great battery life if you don't feel like leaving it in the stand.

Logitech diNovo Mini

List Price: $149.99

If the Edge is too big for you Logitech offers a palmtop wireless keyboard that can fit in a drawer and blend in with your remote controls.

Mechanical Switch
To typing purists and a select few hardcore gamers they're the only way to go. Like general keyboards, there are a ton out there but here are some favorites.

Unicomp Customizer 104/105

List Price: $69.99

Unicomp bought the rights to manufacture the IBM Model M and this is what they came up with. Fans of the Model M feel it's not quite up to the original but still a good choice if you don't want to hunt down a used Model M.

Filco Majestouch

List Price $100.00-$169 depending on form and color

Comes in two colors (black and red), two form factors (87 key and 104 key), and with two types of switches (tactile and linear). A quality board but very expensive.

Deck Legend

List Price: $159.99

If you want mechanical switches and backlighting, Deck is really your only option. I've never used one or seen one in person so I can't really comment on it.

Das Keyboard

List Price: $129.99

Another solid, no frills, mech switch keyboard. Comes in professional and ultimate (blank keys) versions. Clicks when you type.

Tiny Keyboards

Matias halfkeyboard

List Price: $595.00

Promises that you can type one handed with almost no learning curve. Hold down the spacebar to switch the key functions.

The Frogpad

List Price: $159.99

Another tiny keyboard. The website says you can type up to 40 words per minute after 6-10 hours of practice.

Other Information

USB Ports
If you are getting a keyboard and plan to use the extra USB ports they include, double check and make sure they are 2.0 and not 1.1 and that they'll supply enough power for whatever device you want to use. Some keyboards (like the Lycosa) use a second USB cable just for their extra ports, keep that in mind if USB ports are scarce on your machine.

NKRO
NKRO stands for N Key Rollover, the ability to press many keys simultaneously and have them all go through. Works only through PS/2 as USB is limited to 6 presses plus 4 modifiers.

Cherry Switches
Cherry is a manufacturer of high-end, mechanical keyboard switches. They usually find their way onto industrial and retail machines but some keyboard companies use them on PC boards. Here's the difference between the three most common switches:
-Blue: Light key pressure required, you'll feel a bump and hear a click when the key press registers.
-Brown: Very light key pressure required, you'll feel the bump but no click.
-Black: Heavy pressure required, no click, no bump.

Feel free to PM me if you see serious errors/omissions. Otherwise let's use this thread to ask questions, offer advice and justify our keyboard purchases.

RichestManInTown fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

~Coxy posted:

2) A mechanical switch keyboard that has media controls and/or extra function keys too.

It's not exactly what you are looking for but, the Steelseries 7G replaces the left windows button with its own function button. You can press it to access media controls on the F1-F6 buttons.

As far as a mech switch keyboard with extra function keys and macro options the CVT Avant Stellar might fit the bill.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

ChewyLSB posted:

Should I contact Razer about it?

It can't hurt. I had a Lycosa and the media touchpad died on me. Their RMA process is a bit of a pain in the rear end, since they require you to provide a copy of your receipt, but once I jumped through all their hoops they sent me new one. Never use it though. I got my Filco Linear for gaming and day-to-day and a HHKB Pro2 for typing.

Edit: Also, it's been a while since I've done anything to the OP. Is there anything people think should be added/deleted/revised?

RichestManInTown fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 6, 2010

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

I feel like the OP needs to be updated. Any suggestions about new boards to add or new information regarding keyboards would be appreciated.

Edit: Also if you own or have used any of the keyboards that end up in the OP, please feel free to write a little blurb about its features/value. That would help a lot.

RichestManInTown fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 6, 2011

• Locked thread