Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Please tell me you cleaned it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Glumwheels posted:

I posted this way earlier in the thread but if you want a good comparison of keyboards as well as other things like sound files head here http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31 they are a bit crazy over keyboards but better reviews than other places.
Within 30 seconds...

quote:

I switch, depending on my mood, the project, and the color of the stone in my ring. Some days I just want to reset.

I'd buy a nice (non-clicky preferred) mechanical keyboard if one existed with media keys, can't live without my volume and playlist control :(

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Eikre posted:

But now we've got mice, and we've had the fuckers for two decades. Spreadsheet manipulation with one hand on the mouse and one hand on the numpad is the way of THE FUTURE
Excel is already optimized for having the numpad on the right, tab moves your cursor to the right while shift+tab goes left and enter/shift+enter goes down and up. It's a lot faster than the mouse at large data entry jobs for anybody with practice, as well as having all of the non-formatting control shortcuts where your left hand rests too. Also the numpad itself is laid out for righties, you'd need to find one with the operator keys reversed for left handed use.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
At that point you may as well use the knob on your speakers.

EnergizerFellow posted:

If you really need multimedia keys, use the built-in OS shortcut keys to get what you're looking for.
Does Windows have something like this?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Has anybody opened one up to see how easy it would be to either add a resistor or outright replace the LEDs? Should be trivial if they're not surface mount.

edit: Yep :coolfish:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 4, 2010

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I agree with EnergizerFellow, the plastic as molded isn't perfectly smooth or level. That you can feel a grinding means you have very sensitive fingers, but it should wear down into two mated surfaces within a short period.

The tactile feel should be a discrete hump in the travel, not a constant sensation. You do notice that, right?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
He posted this link a few pages back which seems to work well: http://random.xem.us/rollover.html

USB is always capped to 6, even if the board supports more. The type of switch has nothing to do with how many you can press, it's a combination of the matrix used to read them and the controller board that encodes the signal. If your keyboard supports PS/2 mode you can connect it with an adapter and test for more than 6.

Amazingly, my laptop supports 8 at once when you do 4 from each hand :o:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have very good reviews; lots of people mention keys sticking, the labels wearing off, and severe ghosting problems with common gaming clusters. From what I could find it's using an imitation ALPS switch, not anything from Cherry.

Let us know how it is when you get yours :)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Tab8715 posted:

Which, by today's standards shouldn't be that difficult or expensive.

Hell, even the the new Apple keyboard have higher-quality plastic.
No plastic is immune to this, it's an inherent property of their chemical structure.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
None of these tests are worth much if you suck at the task they present you, most people are capable of typing faster when it's their own words.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Searching for the model number (G84-4100) says they're Cherry ML Blacks, nothing at all like any of the MX keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

very posted:

This is what had started to happen to the coated keys. It is a lot worse now. The ones that they sent are not coated, of course.
Is this only a problem with the blank keycaps, or does it happen to the printed ones too? That's horrible.

• Locked thread