Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Bad Dude posted:

I came here to ask the same question. A KVM is really overkill for me, since I only want to share the keyboard, not the monitor. So a bluetooth keyboard that can cycle parent devices, or just any wireless keyboard with a built in USB switch. There are many solutions I've found that work, except that they all make me drag my fat rear end off the couch to change devices at the switch, rather than at the keyboard, which entirely defeats the purpose. I'd rather have two wireless keyboards on my coffee table than one that I have to inconvenience myself to take advantage of.

Input Director lets you control multiple computers with one mouse/keyboard over your network. Also allows you to share a clipboard and has custom macros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.
A couple days ago I was stuck at my computer typing about 30 pages, and I got absolutely sick of my mushy G15. My Filco Majestouch 104 w/ Cherry Blues should be here tomorrow, I was sort of on the fence between blue and brown switches, but I don't really need a (relatively) quiet keyboard, so I settled on blue. I'll post a trip report when I get it.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

sotorious posted:

Difference between the blue and brown is the noise level? as in blue being louder?

Can you get these keyboards at any type of retail store? or do you have to order them? Also anyone that has ordered from there, what is standard shipping like 3 days?

Blue is clicky, brown isn't (as much). I haven't seen any mechanical keyboards in stores, aside from beaten up IBM boards in goodwills. I'm not surprised either, there's no way it would be profitable to stock $100+ boards that look totally plain next to 5 dollar boards with media buttons.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.
Just got my Majestouch, and I'm really happy with the build quality and size of this board. It weighs over two pounds, so it really stays put on your desk. If you pick it up, there is no creaking or hints of cheap construction. The noise of the blue switches isn't as loud as I thought it might have been, but if you're typing around other people they may get annoyed with it.

I may need to get used to the switches (I've only been typing on this board for about 10 minutes), but they seem extremely light. I'll reserve judgment on this for now, because this is a totally different feel compared to my membrane keyboards.

I have already noticed less typing errors on this board though, and once I'm used to the board size and layout, I'm sure it'll be even better. I'm really glad I picked this up, typing feels so much nicer now.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

sotorious posted:

Report back with your mini full review you may be my decision breaker.

Well if it helps, I absolutely love this keyboard. I've typed a lot more on it and my typing speed and accuracy has gone up noticeably. Typing is actually sort of enjoyable now, instead of being something in the way of communication.

As for this keyboard specifically, I really recommend it. I felt silly spending an extra hundred dollars on a keyboard with no fancy features, but now I'd rather have a smaller monitor than a cheaper keyboard. Hell, I'd rather have this Filco board than that 1600 dollar OLED keyboard.

Loztblaz fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 2, 2010

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

sotorious posted:

Hmm I heard those Das keyboard dont have that n-roll feature, or it isnt as good, i was planning on going to microcenter tomorrow. I really have my heart set on the filco. i will see.

This is really helping me make my decision. Going to see if they have that Das in stock at my local microcenter. see if i can open the box test it. If i like it ill buy that 1 on the spot, if not ill come home and order my filco. The one you have is what cherry?

Cherry Blue, which is the same as Das Keyboard, as far as I know. The Das boards have had some very serious problems in the past with ghosting (for reference, bargain basement 10 dollar boards don't ghost.), but that's fixed now. I've also seen some reviews that said they weren't as durable as other boards, but that's all anecdotal.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

A Duck! posted:

Communists, all of you.

To each according to his needs. :colbert: I use the numpad a lot, basically for anything longer than two numbers. I would have considered getting a separate USB keypad and a tenkeyless majestouch if they had the keypad in stock when I ordered, but my previous keyboard was a G15 so even a fullsize board is a welcome change. I am so glad to stop using that giant creaky mushy piece of poo poo.

My second choice keyboard was a Deck Legend due to the backlighting and their warranty, but with this board I never find myself needing to glance down at the keys. Deck's warranty is great, 30 days no questions asked return policy and their standard warranty covers modding.

I'm a full on Filco fanboy now though, I've already convinced two friends to buy them after they tried mine.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Mango Polo posted:

For the past year I've been typing on a cheap laptop, so relatively the X6 is an improvement :shobon:

Thinking about it, the Das actually seems good. With the two USB port I only run one extension to the PC, and both the mouse and mic can be plugged to the keyboard. gently caress, I didn't want to splurge on a keyboard :( It's also ridiculously expensive here in Canada.

How hard would it be to assign, say, mute to F1?

Very easy. When I got my Filco Majestouch, I was really missing my media keys. I use winamp global hotkeys for forwards/back/pause, and end for mute. I reassigned end with a program called Keytweak.

If you want a small board, consider the deck 82. You get a switch keyboard with backlighting in the size that you want, and if you can stand remapping keys for your media controls, you should be happy with it.

Keep in mind it has a different layout, so if you want a standard layout board, go for a filco tenkeyless and sacrifice the backlighting, or go for a deck legend and sacrifice some space.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

powderific posted:

I'd really like to try out one of these mechanical keyboards, particularly a tenkeyless of some variety, but I'm wary of dropping the money without knowing if I'll even like it. My wrists are a little screwed up with some form of RSI so I'm pretty sensitive to keyboard differences. Right now I switch between a comfort curve and a natural 4000. How hard do you have to press the keys relative to, say, an MS Comfort Curve or apple laptop keyboard? How does the key travel compare? People who type a lot seem to love mechanical switches, so I keep thinking that they might help me out a bit.

I haven't used those two keyboards specifically, but compared to a standard rubber dome board, my Filco is much lighter. I still haven't gotten totally used to how light they are. Key travel for cherry switches is 2mm to trigger a keypress, 4mm to bottom out. See if anyone in your area carries the Das Keyboard models, they use Cherry MX switches and are the most popular mechanical switch keyboard in retail stores, so you'll be able to see if you like it.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Sour Fish posted:

How come all these mechanical keyboards hate having a volume and mute button? I want them. :(

Yeah, this sort of annoys me, but their target market tends to be people that don't want those features. I've dealt with it by remapping a key to mute and using volumouse.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Linux Nazi posted:

My current Model-M was manufactured in 1984 according to the sticker on the back. Considering my wife was born in Oct 1984, there's a pretty good chance that my keyboard is older than my wife :(

I currently use a G13 that sits directly to the left of my mousepad, it's basically the center item with my keyboard to the left of the G13.

Obviously the Model-M wouldn't fit to the left, so I've picked up a wired mac mini keyboard.

It fits perfectly, but I am absolute trash when I type on the thing.

I'm eyeballing one of the filco 87 key keyboards. Will the cherry blacks will be the closest feel to my current buckler spring Model-M? I assume it's just plain going to be a different feel considering they are linear switches instead of buckler springs, but I'm looking for something stiff and preferably loud.

I'm not sure if there were different models of the Model-Ms, but mine has a lot stiffer keys than others I've used in the past. For instance, the current Unicomp buckler spring models are much, much softer than the batch of Model-Ms I picked up when I got mine.

No cherry switch is going to be close to a buckling spring in stiffness or sound, but I still think they're excellent. Black switches are about 30% stiffer than blue switches, but have no tactile click. Blues are somewhat light, but have a tactile click when they actuate, as well as a sound.

If you really want a model M board, there are mini versions that are tenkeyless and reasonably compact, but they're hard to find.

Loztblaz fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 29, 2010

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Swilo posted:

At that point you may as well use the knob on your speakers.

Does Windows have something like this?

No, but look up keytweak. It allows you to remap keys to other functions, like a mute button. For volume, try volumouse. You set a hotkey and use the scroll wheel plus that hotkey to adjust the system volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Mike the TV posted:

Are the cherry brown switches on Flicos considered the best?

Copy pasting from geekhack's favorite switch poll:

code:
ALPS - Black (tactile)  	   	                        	3.54%
ALPS - White (tactile + clicky) 		                	5.56%
Buckling Spring - (IBM Model M, Lexmark, Unicomp and others) 	 	26.77%
Buckling Spring Capacative - (IBM Model F XT and AT) 		 	6.57%
Cherry MX - Black (linear) 		                        	3.03%
Cherry MX - Blue (tactile + clicky) 		                	25.25%
Cherry MX - Brown (tactile) 		                        	10.61%
Rubber Dome and variants - (scissor, Fujitsu Peerless, newer Cherries)	1.52%
Topre Capacitive (Realforce and HHKB) 		                	14.14%
Other (please specify in a post) 		                 	3.03%
Switches are very subjective though, so if you can find mechanical switch boards near you, try before you buy.

• Locked thread