Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
Bump. I just received my majestouch tenkeyless "otaku" with brown cherries and it is amazing. I decided against blues because one of my coworkers has blues and I find them a bit annoying. I don't regret the decision at all because this thing feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very
Jan 25, 2005

bloodynose posted:

I love my Majestouch, I got cherry blues, which are more clickity than browns if that what you got.

It seems that the brown switches come with blue LEDs, which I agree are way too bright.

I think browns are more refined. :colbert:

very
Jan 25, 2005

"Maltron" sounds like some parody company name.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Another difference between blues and browns is that browns require slightly less force (supposedly).

very
Jan 25, 2005

Charun posted:

I just recently got a filco n-key with blue cherrys, and the LEDs on it are dim green ones. It seems they've listened to the main complaint and fixed it.
I'm getting use to the clicking but I still sometimes think the browns would have been better. On the plus side, n-key works as advertised and I can press as many keys as I want and have them all register (over PS/2).

I hate using other keyboards now.

I think blue cherries come with the green LEDs, and browns come with the BLUUUE LEDS.

very
Jan 25, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Alright then. Looks like I'm getting a Filco keyboard, sans number pad, with Brown Cherry MX keys!

Now to decide whether to get the standard or blank version. :(

I got blank keys for work (so people don't want to mess with my machine, not that I leave it unlocked anyway), but I'd rather have labels for home/play as to not alienate visitors.

very
Jan 25, 2005

The paint/coating/whatever is coming off the surface of my Filco's A key. It doesn't really look bad because it is like black stuff coming off of black plastic, so you don't really notice it. It is just a bit weird, I don't get why there is a coating.

Other than that, my home row is nice and shiny now after using it for a few months. I'm sure it happens with every keyboard.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I want something like a G13, but I use linux and I'm sure that nothing will work without their software.

And then I remember that regular keyboards have many more keys. I just want a thumbstick on a regular keyboard. Maybe I'll buy a cheap keyboard and rip off all of the keys that I won't be using like some pro starcraft player.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I tried the red escape key on mine and I couldn't get it off quick enough.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I just got an iMac, so I've been on the little wireless apple keyboard. The form factor is actually pretty cool but I'm really missing dedicated home/end/page up/page down keys. I keep forgetting the shortcuts for them. I can only get 90 wpm on this but I get about 115 easy on my Filco.

Apple should make a blank version to appeal to the Apple fans/minimalist geeks.

BLANK KEYBOARDS.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Holy crud. New Filcos. http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?pid=fkbn87mcewek

very
Jan 25, 2005

My Filco is starting to look really gross with the key coating coming off, so I took some pictures and sent them to elitekeyboards.com's customer service. They responded and said that they would send me a whole new set of non-coated key caps!

very
Jan 25, 2005

A couple sentences is not at all enough to really determine your speed. I like this test: http://hi-games.net/typing-test/

very
Jan 25, 2005

Welp. They weren't lying. Elite Keyboards sent me a whole new set of keycaps, and a key puller too.

This is what had started to happen to the coated keys. It is a lot worse now. The ones that they sent are not coated, of course.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

very
Jan 25, 2005

Swilo posted:

Is this only a problem with the blank keycaps, or does it happen to the printed ones too? That's horrible.

The printed ones do not have the coating, so no.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

What coating is this exactly?

They said it was just there to give the keys a unique feel.

very
Jan 25, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Harping on the Apple wireless keyboard again, does anyone have any long term usage reports, especially with gaming? I find that the wireless keyboard is great for gaming, but I wonder if my constant hammering on WASD won't wear down those keys quickly. Just wondering how the longevity of this puppy stacks up.

I generally don't wear out most keyboards, but this one just happens to have cost me $80, so I'm a bit more conscious.

They're very solid. I wouldn't worry about it.

very
Jan 25, 2005

My Filco with cherry blacks just came in. I got blacks because this keyboard is for home and I wanted something quieter and also better for gaming.

Typing on this thing is very different from the brown switches. I normally bottom out every keypress with the browns, but if I try to do that with the blacks my fingers will wear out quite quickly. It doesn't take much pressure or travel to actuate the keys, but it takes quite a bit of pressure to hit the bottom.

I guess this keyboard might just train me to type without bottoming out the keys. It is much quieter for that reason alone, but it still has a very satisfying feel and sound.

I'm noticing that my Home/End/Page Up/Page Down keys aren't doing what I would expect, but maybe that is an OS X thing.

Edit: The LEDs are red and way too bright.

very fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 13, 2010

very
Jan 25, 2005

illamint posted:

Uh, really? My printed keycaps are doing this same thing. I guess I'll email EliteKeyboards.

I was going by what they had written on the web pages. The oktaku page mentioned the coating, the other ones did not.

I'm really not noticing any difference with the non-coated keys.

very
Jan 25, 2005

londerwost posted:

So what are goons opinions on these gaming keyboards and do you guys have any other recommendations?

They all look terrible. What do they provide over a regular keyboard?

very
Jan 25, 2005

Full Circle posted:

For RPGs and especially MMOs they provide access to way more keys than a normal keyboard layout, along with a more natural wasd cluster.

Maybe the wolf king has enough keys for me to play WoW with (the others.. not even close) although I'd have to learn where the buttons are. I already have muscle memory for all of the keys on my keyboard.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Sweeper posted:

Would i have to send proof of the key caps having that weird poo poo happening to the coated keys? I don't have a camera so I can't take a picture of it :\

I dunno. Maybe just tell them?

I told them that I was kinda pissed to find that my keyboard with labels also had the coating, even though it was not listed on their web site. It has been fine so far. Maybe there was a bad batch or something.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Shinx posted:

Are the ones with the keypad the same? Also, on another forum, I was linked to a rather cheap non-mechanical keyboard thats almost cheap enough for me to get a mechanical keyboard just for long periods of typing, but if the linear force with the keypad on that site is any good for gaming, then I will pull the trigger on that one.

I think black is the best of the cherry switches for gaming. You are not likely to press a key on accident, and it isn't going to distract you with a bunch of noise.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Robo-Pope posted:

My keyboard has an exceptionally small Backspace key, which I can extend by mapping the Home key to act as Backspace. However, Windows' keyboard mapping tool doesn't allow me to map keys not in the QWERTY area of the keyboard. Does anyone know a utility that does?

You could use autohotkey. That should be a simple one-line script. I think it would be:

code:
{Home}::{Backspace}

very
Jan 25, 2005

ufarn posted:

Any thoughts on Aurora Premium?

The silver looks quite nice. If I liked scissors and if it came with a horizontal enter key then I'd be interested.

Is it saying that it comes with built-in USB audio?

very
Jan 25, 2005

Shinx posted:

Sorry I keep pestering everyone who mentions they have a Filco but are the browns good for gaming? I'm so close to getting one but as I said earlier everyone has mixed thoughts about whether or not to get Blacks or Browns. I could just save myself time and get the Sidewinder x4 but I want to try mechanicals out.

I have one with blacks and one with browns, and I use the blacks for games. The blacks are quieter and less distracting. They are also harder to press which is fine because I'm usually pounding on the keys anyway. You aren't likely to accidentally push a key with the blacks.

The browns are much nicer for typing, so that keyboard is at work.

I guess it kinda sucks how the only way to decide is to read other people's descriptions. There are plenty of videos of people typing on youtube with all different kinds of keyboards. Maybe that will help.

Edit: One odd thing about having both is that when I go from the blacks to the browns, I feel like my fingers are being sucked into the keys whoaaaaa.

very fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 26, 2010

very
Jan 25, 2005

Hikaki posted:

I just picked up a Filco with cherry blues from elitekeyboards.com and unfortunately one of the keys doesn't click. I've tried blasting it with compressed air to no avail, so now I have to try to claim warranty on it. Has anyone had any experience with their warranty service? Painless? Or are they going to try to weasel out of it? One of my concerns is having to pay shipping; places like Amazon will give you a shipping label which is really nice but I imagine these guys won't do that.

I just started getting used to the keyboard too. drat my luck.

Just talk to them. They were really great for me.

I don't worry about getting screwed on line because my bank or paypal will always let me contest charges. Retailers can only screw themselves.

very
Jan 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

That razer looks a little gimmicky, but perhaps more worrying is that they say the key activation trigger is halfway through the travel. Why bother with a mechanical keyswitch if you're going to implement rubber dome deficiencies?

And it has no media keys which sucks for a "gaming" keyboard.

Cherry switches all actuate at about halfway.

very
Jan 25, 2005

"Launched today over at Gamescom, these two keyboards offer key actuation that feels much like a mouse click, with an actuation point that's actually halfway through the full travel distance."

I'm guessing it'll have blue knock-offs for that price.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Illuminado posted:

I hope I'm not opening up a :can: of worms here, but am I the only person who made the switch to ESDF here and found it to be 10x better for every possible game imaginable?

You are not the only one.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Does the G13 have modifier keys? Because otherwise it doesn't have enough buttons.

Also, it looks like I'd want to rest my hand on the third row. Why do the indentations seem to indicate that you'd rest your hand up on the second row? It doesn't make sense to me.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

The indentations are in the right place because as I said, you don't use them as WASD. You use them as hotkeys for whatever game you are playing. in WoW I primarily use the first 2 rows.

The thumbstick is actually a really graceful way of replacing the WASD keys. It's my forward/back/strafe buttons for a lot of games. I thought it might be something to try and expected I would hate it, but it's genius.

You can set any key to anything, so if you wanted you could set a key for shift and use shift as a modifier. There may be a more native way of doing it with the macro language but I never bother.

As for number of buttons, idk how many you need, but even raiding as a DK in WoW I never find myself wanting for more keys. And I hotkey just about everything. I only click for my change spec/gear button and my stance bar.

In a game like BFBC2 or ME2, I only use like 6 of the keys. I even moved my primary fire button for FPS games to what is index finger button (effectively the [D] button). For sniping it prevents me from shaking the mouse at all while taping the full-auto scoped riffle.

Ok, that sounds more appealing. I use about 35 keybinds at last count (for holy priesting), and cataclysm is going to add a few more.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I don't have a 10-key on this keyboard so I don't have an LED that is on all of the time anyway.

However, it is always blindingly obvious (HEH) when I've left the caps lock on.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Browns and blacks can be as loud as you want them to be. It all depends on how you type.

very
Jan 25, 2005

The black widow website is dumb.

How are you guys enjoying your hyperesponse™ keys?

very
Jan 25, 2005

You don't have to bend your wrists in any unnatural way to type on a regular keyboard. Just compensate with your fingers' reach.

Wrist problems are caused by nerves being compressed (so says wikipedia) so don't squash the bottoms of your wrists all day on a rest. Or do. I don't know. Why not just try it with a cheap foam one.

Also, I can only assume, but if your poor muscles can't support and protect your wrists then they aren't strong enough. Get some exercise. It's the only thing that helps my wrists.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I just got a G13 out of curiosity. The only thing that I don't like so far is that the most comfortable hand position is actually on the 16-19 keys, which is nowhere near where the indents are... So right now my fingers get a bit lost. Do I have tiny hands or something?

The other thing is that I don't know if I'll ever be able to lose the muscle memory for my main character's buttons.

very
Jan 25, 2005

movax posted:

So upon second look at the HHP, I don't think I could live with no arrow keys, that's just madness imho. Currently looking at the Realforce 87U (if I can find it) or the 103UB. Figure I'll have clicky-as-gently caress Das at home, and a nice Topre at work.

Never owned a keyboard (aside from laptops) without a numpad...I think the only thing I use my numpad for at home is slamming in my password usually.

Here's an 87U

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se0500

very
Jan 25, 2005

nftyw posted:

Get a Model M, then you'll never have to worry about it for the rest of your life :smug:

I'm not sure what you are replying to here. Worry about what? I couldn't play any games on my model M because it was impossible to find any reasonable key combinations that worked. Also it just stopped working and I had no way of fixing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very
Jan 25, 2005

They look kinda roundy. I wonder if they'll come out with special editions and colors and stuff.

I try not to regret things but I kinda regret not getting the white tenkeyless filco when it was in. :(

• Locked thread