Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Since I run entirely off of my snazzy Dell Studio 15, I've become quite attached to its keyboard. Its keys are flat, but still have nice key travel, and don't have that wobbly feel most Dell keyboards seem to. Not to mention Dell laptop keyboards' annoying habit of being ziggurat-shaped monstrosities that fingers slide off of at the slightest provocation (please god tell me I'm not the only one with this problem).

http://media.techeblog.com/images/dellstudiolaptop.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I must say, upgrading to the G710+ to the G910 is super nice. I am a terrible whore for aesthetics so the fancy blacklight theatrics are awesome, and I actually quite enjoy the shape of the keycaps. It feels like the keys are actively keeping my fingers cupped into the spaces that they need to be. The weirdest thing to get used to is the fact that the way they're sloped is significantly different than most keyboards. When I put the back feet up, I was expecting it to be sloping downwards towards me, but it still looks like it's laying relatively flat. Everything's tilted so it hits my fingers in the right place, though. The keys are definitely much quieter, almost membrane-like in their sound (which I love, I enjoy that muted squish of membrane keys).

The software is currently using 250MB of RAM to run the color cycling, though, which seems like an awful lot.

In all, though, A+ purchase, would buy again.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

NihilCredo posted:

You'd think that there ought to be a decent market for what used to be called, back before real notebooks existed, "portable computers". I wager there's a substantial amount of laptops out there who spend 99% of their time moving from desk A to desk B and vice-versa (home office to work office, for example).

For that type of users, a nice 18"+ inch screen, generous storage options, and a full-sized keyboard ought to be way valuable benefits, as they don't need the battery life to provide much more than UPS service, and weight/size isn't really an issue as long as it comes with its own bag. Not exactly unreasonable requirements to provide. Yet the only offerings we seem to get in that sector are these odd, freakishly overpriced gaming laptops, with the Asus K95 as the lonely exception.

Isn't that category called desktop replacement laptops?

e: Now that I look you're talking about screen sizes that go beyond what the major manufacturers are usually doing in that space. Most of them seem to max out at 17 inches.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 10, 2015

• Locked thread