Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

Yes, we know, it has been posted at least 3 times so far in this thread.

...and I have to say, I've got a raging hardon for it. I think it will be my next keyboard. Right now I use this tiny Adesso keyboard. I like 'em compact!

Those had a trackpad. I had no idea they made this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

admiraldennis posted:

Man, I can't find a ABS M1 anywhere. :(

After that newegg sale, good luck finding one. :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

EtOH posted:

If I recall correctly, I think you can soak them in OxyClean for a time? I know the Lego-loving man-children do something like this to undo the yellowing of their bricks.

Edit: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

That's cool, but someone needs to invent something that prevents shiny-keyboard syndrome.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Goo posted:

Since it's caused by the abrading of the keycap's surface by the user's skin (fingerprint ridges, salts, oils, etc) to the point where it removes the texture and, effectively, polishes the plastic, there's no practical solution short of covering the keyboard with a replaceable material or developing the keyboard from a material that is immune to these things.

Which, by today's standards shouldn't be that difficult or expensive.

Hell, even the the new Apple keyboard have higher-quality plastic.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

So, what the hell is the difference between all the Filco keyboard models?

EDIT : So, if I just want a keyboard I can type for long periods of time and quickly - I want just want the standard one, not the NKRO?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 26, 2010

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hmm. I'm seriously considering the Filco Cherry Browns, but maybe the Blues too? Are the blues louder than the browns? That's my only main concern. I want a keyboard I a can mash forever on when I'm programming as I can't do that with my Apple keyboard, Thinkpad laptop works better - or at least feels like it.

EDIT - What would it take to make a natural-style buckling spring keyboard? Assuming price is no-object. C'mon there must be some mechanical engineers on SA.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Filcos, are buckling keyboards. Correct?

EDIT - Any ideas how long this model of keyboard will be produced? I want one, and I want some backup keys so when they wear out (get shiny) I can replace them, but the keys are $30 :aaa:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Interesting test, I'm get 40 on my Apple keyboard. Anyone else?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

very posted:

The printed ones do not have the coating, so no.

What coating is this exactly?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MasterWerk posted:

Razer's getting into the mechanical keyboard game: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-mechanical-keyboard-offers-backlit-pr/

could be a good deal. I do miss having a backlit keyboard, since I keep my office dark because I'm a neck beard-y troll who can't take direct sunlight.

I really can't stand any razor products, the lights are just plain distracting and I can do without a ton of LEDs or shiny plastic.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The roll-up keyboards are kind of trash, too squishy too get any real typing done. The other one looks interesting, I wonder how well it actually works.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

She posted:

Yeah, I should have mentioned — I'm on Windows 7. :saddowns:

A wireless Apple keyboard is just bluetooth, it'll work just fine. Personally, I think that keyboard is the best HTPC keyboards. It's small, slim and sturdy. Everything is a huge, plasticly, and has a bunch of eyeblinding leds.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ufarn posted:

Has anyone tried the Engage keyboards (FKA ErgoMotion)?

They seem pretty sweet, but I can also imagine them to be really annoying if done imperfectly.

Yea, I think I'll wait for a review. Too bad they just used rubber-domes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is the only place to buy a Filco keyboard Amazon? I'm trying to get a full-size, but I'd like my replacement keys and red escape and possibly blue enter key?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

glompix posted:

gently caress man that's awesome. I'm thinking about picking up one too to replace my Blackwidow. I'd love to just swap my brown full size Filco at work out with it but the Blackwidow is way too loud. :(

Yeah, it sucks the filcos on amazon don't come with that stuff. Maybe they don't at all anymore. If you don't mind blanks, WASD sells sets and singles of keycaps in all kinds of colors. Probably going to get some of those really soon. :dance:

It also sucks they don't have Linear R Filcos on there either because I feel like those might be even better than browns for mass gaming.

Goddammit.

Are there any Filco Alternatives at all? I hate Glossy Keyboard Syndrome with passion, and want my replacement keys.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

I believe it's a limit of the USB interface.

Its a limit with the physical circuitry of keyboards, technically this can be changed but its often not worth the cost.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there such a thing as a natural mechanic keyboard?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

The only keyboards I've ever known with topre switches are happy hacker and topre realforce

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Topre+Realforce+Reference+-+all+things+topre

microsoft has never done that no

Uh,

Those are all membrane keyboards. :owned:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

spaceship posted:

Picked up my first mechanical keyboard today. Holy poo poo typing on this thing is so much fun.

Filco Majestouch Ninja: http://amzn.com/B004Z0XR2O

I just swapped out the Windows Keys for the All black kind (it came w/ spare keys).

Those keyboards aren't annoying bright :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Just to make sure I'm pulling the trigger right

USA Filco Ninja Majestouch-2, NKR, Tactile Action, Keyboard FKBN104M/EFB2

This is what I want for the clicky-feel but not the clicky-noise and is similar to most membrane keyboards - correct?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

glompix posted:

That is a brown switch board,, which is mostly quiet and has a very subtle tactile bump halfway down the keystroke. It sounds like what you want. It's very different from membranes, however. The keys are very light.

The cherry just have the click noise - right? Isn't that the only difference?

I've been using - yes - a membrane wired Apple keyboard. I feel it's a little mushy, hence that's why I want a better keyboard but how light are we talkin' ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone bought a mechanical then switched back?

• Locked thread