Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kvlt! posted:

looking for OoTP baseball but "lighter" or not sd crazy complex?

Baseball Mogul is easier to get into than OOTP.

Or, half-joke answer: Baseball Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Baseball Mogul is easier to get into than OOTP.

Or, half-joke answer: Baseball Stars

Mogul looks perfect, which one do you reccomend?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Mogul looks perfect, which one do you reccomend?

Dunno, I haven't played Mogul since I discovered OOTP a decade ago. Probably just the latest one? The last version I personally played was 2012.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what are some games where you can do stealth archer-type shenanigans that aren't Elder Scrolls/Bethesda?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The best stealth-sniper game ever made is TheHunter:Call of the Wild

If loot is integral to enjoying your gaming experience though, I dunno.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

someone awful. posted:

what are some games where you can do stealth archer-type shenanigans that aren't Elder Scrolls/Bethesda?

Dishonored
Assassin's Creed Origins
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
the new Tomb Raiders
A Plague Tale
Horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden West

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

someone awful. posted:

Try Enderal, a whole new story built as a Skyrim mod. Stealth archer through a completely new, vast story.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Saul Kain posted:

Try Enderal, a whole new story built as a Skyrim mod. Stealth archer through a completely new, vast story.

Seconded. Enderal whips immense rear end.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
enderal is great

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

someone awful. posted:

thief and thief 2 are still the best stealth archer games ever made

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Blood West has stealth-archer and it feels pretty good, though some of the tougher enemies / minibosses will require either hit-and-run tactics or just nailing several headshots in a row. Or softening them up with some TNT. The bosses will also probably be pretty tough, but you'll have so much ammo if you're not using the guns you can just burn them down to get back to archering.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tango alpha delta posted:

thief and thief 2 are still the best stealth archer games ever made

:emptyquote:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Eric the Mauve posted:

You loot corpses for their corpses.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm finding the archery in Ghosts of Tsushima pretty compelling, with the added twists of bullet drop, low ammo numbers, and enemy armor being genuinely effective so it's not enough to just target the head every time, if they've got helmets you need to more specifically target the face or somewhere on the chest that's unarmored, or use a special armor-piercing arrow.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Seconded. Enderal whips immense rear end.
Thirded, Enderal is literally the only reason to own Skyrim.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

someone awful. posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is free on the Epic store right now

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Getcha some nice crispy meat for free! (Enderal is free if you own Skyrim)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

thanks for all the recommendations, all! :) I think I even have a couple of these from who knows where.

Is Enderal a pain to install? I've done a lot of modded Skyrim but somehow missed giving it a try.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

someone awful. posted:

thanks for all the recommendations, all! :) I think I even have a couple of these from who knows where.

Is Enderal a pain to install? I've done a lot of modded Skyrim but somehow missed giving it a try.

Enderal has its own Steam entry, you install and play it like any other Steam game.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oh dang that rules, thanks!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's not Archery, but STALKER, Tarkov, and even FarCry all reward sneaking around and taking careful shots with a silenced, scoped rifle. STALKER and Tarkov also have looting, but it can take a while to actually get the kind of kit that will give you this loop.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

StoryTime posted:

Enderal has its own Steam entry, you install and play it like any other Steam game.

Does it work with SkyrimVR?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

Does it work with SkyrimVR?

Yep! Just need to do the proper installs for it, there's guides online.

Note for newcomers, its Skyrim, but also not Skyrim. Some new mechanics and stuff, early game is alot harder, certain spells and tactics work that wouldn't have before etc.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Looking for a game (preferably an RPG / Action RPG of some flavor, but I'm willing to entertain other suggestions) that really rewards exploration - I guess something like the Souls games that kinda captures that old-school SNES era of game exploration where you might stumble across some really cool optional area or a strong piece of equipment that you wouldn't find by just blitzing through the game. I'm playing through FF7 Rebirth right now and while I'm enjoying it a lot overall, one thing that is kinda disappointing is that the game basically just drops all the important upgrades right in front of you in extremely obvious, specially colored chests that you have to actively go out of your way to miss, so you never get that feeling of finding a briefly overpowered weapon or some hidden gear that will make the next boss fight easier.

Is there anything else out there that might scratch this itch? I've gone through most of the obvious stuff (Souls games, Skyrim, BG3).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No combat but Sable is all about exploration.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Looking for a game (preferably an RPG / Action RPG of some flavor, but I'm willing to entertain other suggestions) that really rewards exploration - I guess something like the Souls games that kinda captures that old-school SNES era of game exploration where you might stumble across some really cool optional area or a strong piece of equipment that you wouldn't find by just blitzing through the game. I'm playing through FF7 Rebirth right now and while I'm enjoying it a lot overall, one thing that is kinda disappointing is that the game basically just drops all the important upgrades right in front of you in extremely obvious, specially colored chests that you have to actively go out of your way to miss, so you never get that feeling of finding a briefly overpowered weapon or some hidden gear that will make the next boss fight easier.

Is there anything else out there that might scratch this itch? I've gone through most of the obvious stuff (Souls games, Skyrim, BG3).

Hyper Light Drifter is extremely this. It captures a very certain feeling I got from playing ALttP as a kid in finding a hidden cave behind a waterfall or a cave system inside a cave system that very few games even try to go for but really set my brain on fire. If that's the type of feeling you're looking to capture I'd really strongly recommend it

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.
Can anyone recommend PC games that might scratch the same itch as Don't Starve or They Are Billions?

Ones I've tried and didn't vibe with enough to keep playing:

Stardew Valley
Rimworld
Bear and Breakfast
Clanfolk
Cozy Grove (actually liked this a lot but gently caress was it just too SLOW)
Factorio (really liked it for about 5 minutes then got bored and also it's really ugly to look at)
Terraria
Oxygen Not Included
Papers Please
Sims 4
Minecraft
Total Warhammer
The Long Dark
Animal crossing
Planet Coaster
Cities Skylines (I really hate having to loving make zones for things)
Sim City

Ones I liked:
Frost Punk
The Wild Eight
Command and Conquer series
Starcraft ii (but would rather not play anything against other players coz I'm trying to chill before bed)

Please help me before I go back to DOTA and ruin everything for the Aus server.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Noita at this point probably has more secret content than regular

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

A HIghland Song

Astalon; Tears of The Earth

Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If you haven't played Tunic, this is the exact vibe it's continually trying to hit

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

cindel posted:

Can anyone recommend PC games that might scratch the same itch as Don't Starve or They Are Billions?

You might want to check out the Management Games thread, since that goes into a lot of the type of games that you've been trying. Against the Storm is the most RTS-like, with a lot of pressures of running out of food and resources, other big games in that genre you haven't checked out are the Tropico and Anno series. There's also a sequel to Frostpunk coming in July.

More on the Don't Starve side, there's a whole lot of "survive-em-up" games out there, and it doesn't seem like you've tried many, although a lot of them often are more multiplayer-focused. Subnautica's a very good single player one. Maybe Palworld? That has a whole weird cross between survival and setting up a weird pokemon colony. Maybe even less on the survival side, there's Dredge, which is a fishing game with Lovecraftian themes.

Looking for a game (preferably an RPG / Action RPG of some flavor, but I'm willing to entertain other suggestions) that really rewards exploration - I guess something like the Souls games that kinda captures that old-school SNES era of game exploration

You sound like you need to play Tunic. Maybe also Lil' Gator Game.

Other big exploration games are Subnautica and Outer Wilds. The biggest living game genre these days echoing old-school exploration are Metroidvanias, which I think Hollow Knight is one of the best out there.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

cindel posted:

Stardew Valley
Rimworld
Bear and Breakfast
Clanfolk
Factorio (really liked it for about 5 minutes then got bored and also it's really ugly to look at)
Terraria
Oxygen Not Included
Papers Please
Sims 4
Minecraft
Total Warhammer
The Long Dark
Animal crossing
Planet Coaster
Sim City

Ones I liked:
Frost Punk
The Wild Eight
Starcraft ii (but would rather not play anything against other players coz I'm trying to chill before bed)

Age of darkness is another studio doing their take on the they are billions game play so probably give that one a look

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cindel posted:

Stardew Valley
Rimworld
Bear and Breakfast
Clanfolk
Terraria
Oxygen Not Included
Papers Please
Sims 4
Minecraft
Total Warhammer
The Long Dark
Animal crossing
Planet Coaster
Sim City

Ones I liked:
Frost Punk
The Wild Eight

The Riftbreaker

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You might want to check out the Management Games thread, since that goes into a lot of the type of games that you've been trying. Against the Storm is the most RTS-like, with a lot of pressures of running out of food and resources, other big games in that genre you haven't checked out are the Tropico and Anno series. There's also a sequel to Frostpunk coming in July.

More on the Don't Starve side, there's a whole lot of "survive-em-up" games out there, and it doesn't seem like you've tried many, although a lot of them often are more multiplayer-focused. Subnautica's a very good single player one. Maybe Palworld? That has a whole weird cross between survival and setting up a weird pokemon colony. Maybe even less on the survival side, there's Dredge, which is a fishing game with Lovecraftian themes.

You sound like you need to play Tunic. Maybe also Lil' Gator Game.

Other big exploration games are Subnautica and Outer Wilds. The biggest living game genre these days echoing old-school exploration are Metroidvanias, which I think Hollow Knight is one of the best out there.

Ahh dammit I forgot to list Against the Storm. I really liked it for awhile but then it just got super samey, though it was only in pre-release though so there might be more stuff to do now, but every area seemed to play the same mostly and just look slightly different with a few different resources.

Dredge is definitely on my list.

Thanks this is great, I'll check out the Management Games thread and these suggestions.

My ideal game would be if The Long Dark was more cozy and pretty instead of creepy.

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.

ninjewtsu posted:

Age of darkness is another studio doing their take on the they are billions game play so probably give that one a look

Oh poo poo I completely forgot I was waiting for this to come out. Thanks!

Hwurmp posted:

The Riftbreaker

Looks good I'll check it out!

cindel fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 17, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

someone awful. posted:

Cyberpunk 2077. Especially once you get the silenced sniper rifle from Panam's sidequest chain.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sleeping dogs is on deep discount on gog. Highly recommend picking it up and playing it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you're getting all the way away from needing archery for your stealth shooty game, I feel like MGSV is still probably the best out there.

And if you can negotiate on the stealth, Dragon's Dogma has some pretty wild archery even though I'm not sure you can really be sneaky.

cindel posted:

Ahh dammit I forgot to list Against the Storm. I really liked it for awhile but then it just got super samey, though it was only in pre-release though so there might be more stuff to do now, but every area seemed to play the same mostly and just look slightly different with a few different resources.

In that case, I think the remaining big city building with crisis game I know of that you haven't played yet is Ixion, which is interesting mechanically and in vibe, but the plot's fairly dumb. There are actually many colony spaceship games out there, but most of them languish forever in early access, which is a whole bag of worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

CrossCode is a 2D Action RPG with heavy puzzle and exploration elements, where the latter is strongly encouraged and rewarded. It's also just a wonderful game in its own right.

It's 70% off on Steam at the moment, or you can get the Complete Edition (which includes the post-game storyline DLC) which I assume is also on sale.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 17, 2024