Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

I'm kinda in the mood for something like the Sims...but not. I want to create an environment for people or creatures to live and thrive at a small scale while having no direct control over them. Something more casual and chill than Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld with some visual charm would be ideal.

Animal Crossing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Megaquarium

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
edit: wrong thread

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 13, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I'm kinda in the mood for something like the Sims...but not. I want to create an environment for people or creatures to live and thrive at a small scale while having no direct control over them. Something more casual and chill than Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld with some visual charm would be ideal.

Dragon Quest Builders 2, maybe

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Chas McGill posted:

I'll go for the incredibly obscure recommendation of Happy Birthdays on switch. It's a god sim where you manipulate the environment to create different biomes and try to get different forms of life to evolve. Your only direct controls are over the landscape, and you have limited stamina to work with, so you'll set up rivers and mountains and whatnot, then zoom out and let tens of thousands of years pass as the plant and animal populations change, then zoom in and do it again. Scanning new creatures lets you level up and get more stamina so you can make bigger changes.

It's a chill but pretty satisfying gameplay loop - it's fun switching between the small scale terrain manipulation (I'll build a mountain here, and add a river flowing down over here...) and then watching the big picture view as over thousands of years your new mountain drops the global temperature 10 degrees and the environment across the whole map changes in response. It has a story mode (with the goal of creating modern humans) as well as a free play mode and some challenge scenarios. Not the deepest game but I enjoyed my time with it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

I'll go for the incredibly obscure recommendation of Happy Birthdays on switch. It's a god sim where you manipulate the environment to create different biomes and try to get different forms of life to evolve. Your only direct controls are over the landscape, and you have limited stamina to work with, so you'll set up rivers and mountains and whatnot, then zoom out and let tens of thousands of years pass as the plant and animal populations change, then zoom in and do it again. Scanning new creatures lets you level up and get more stamina so you can make bigger changes.

It's a chill but pretty satisfying gameplay loop - it's fun switching between the small scale terrain manipulation (I'll build a mountain here, and add a river flowing down over here...) and then watching the big picture view as over thousands of years your new mountain drops the global temperature 10 degrees and the environment across the whole map changes in response. It has a story mode (with the goal of creating modern humans) as well as a free play mode and some challenge scenarios. Not the deepest game but I enjoyed my time with it.

This also goes by the title Birthdays The Beginning and is available on PC and Playstation as well.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Franchescanado posted:

This also goes by the title Birthdays The Beginning and is available on PC and Playstation as well.

True, although I think those version are missing some QoL changes that were added to the switch release.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

True, although I think those version are missing some QoL changes that were added to the switch release.

Good to know! I wasn’t sure if there were differences between them.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Animal Crossing?

Hwurmp posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2, maybe
I should've said preferably without having a character to control, more of a god game like...

Snake Maze posted:

This looks cool, thanks

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Any recommendations for a single player 2d roguelite/metroidvania/etc game that captures the "feel" of a fighting game? I typically don't enjoy 2d action platformers that much, but I've been playing a ton of BlazBlue Entropy Effect since it launched. I have to work weird hours & usually only get time to game after 1-2am, never enough people w/ decent ping to play real FGs against, looking for something else that scratches the itch.

Just for reference, I didn't really enjoy Dead Cells / Salt & Sanctuary / either Rogue Legacy. Don't really care about the story or aesthetic, just want good combat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

Any recommendations for a single player 2d roguelite/metroidvania/etc game that captures the "feel" of a fighting game? I typically don't enjoy 2d action platformers that much, but I've been playing a ton of BlazBlue Entropy Effect since it launched. I have to work weird hours & usually only get time to game after 1-2am, never enough people w/ decent ping to play real FGs against, looking for something else that scratches the itch.

Just for reference, I didn't really enjoy Dead Cells / Salt & Sanctuary / either Rogue Legacy. Don't really care about the story or aesthetic, just want good combat.

Guacamelee

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Gnumonic posted:

Astral Ascent might be your jam

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gnumonic posted:

Street Fighter 6 has a massive singleplayer campaign. It's not roguelike/lite, but it should keep you going for a good long while.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gnumonic posted:

Smash Games
Megabyte Punch
Spiritfall

More general Fighting games
Abyss Odyssey
Indivisible

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is there anything that follows the loop of games like Monster Hunter or Diablo of constantly upgrading your gear, but turn based? just controlling/upgrading one guy, not a party.

bonus if it plays well on a steam deck but certainly not a requirement

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I assume you mean like besides every roguelike ever?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I assume you mean like besides every roguelike ever?

Yes i should have clarified not a roguelike sorry

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

is there anything that follows the loop of games like Monster Hunter or Diablo of constantly upgrading your gear, but turn based? just controlling/upgrading one guy, not a party.

bonus if it plays well on a steam deck but certainly not a requirement

I had to dig deep but Dark Scavenger.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Play tome4 or Tangledeep on adventure mode. I call tome4 turn based diablo when I try to explain it to my friends

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

fez_machine posted:

I had to dig deep but Dark Scavenger.

This looks awesome ty!!

Naramyth posted:

Play tome4 or Tangledeep on adventure mode. I call tome4 turn based diablo when I try to explain it to my friends

Ill check these out too ty! which would you say is better?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Tangledeep is a better introduction to the genre. TOME4 can be the last game you ever play if your brain is broken in a certain way.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Naramyth posted:

Tangledeep is a better introduction to the genre. TOME4 can be the last game you ever play if your brain is broken in a certain way.

And this why I'd probably compare TOME4 to Path of Exile, rather than Diablo :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

those are both roguelikes though

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

someone awful. posted:

those are both roguelikes though

Yes, but there are 'roguelikes' and roguelikes. It's unclear which kind op meant.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

"Adventure Mode" in ToME means no permadeath, so if that's the element of roguelikes OP dislikes then it might work for them.

ToME looks and controls like a roguelike but (especially if you remove permadeath) doesn't really play like one. The map is persistent, combat revolves around class abilities that have cooldowns, etc.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 14, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

"Adventure Mode" in ToME means no permadeath, so if that's the element of roguelikes OP dislikes then it might work for them.

ToME looks and feels like a roguelike but (especially if you remove permadeath) doesn't really play like one. The map is persistent, combat revolves around class abilities that have cooldowns, etc.

thatd be accurate, its just the permadeath i dont like. Tome looks really cool ima check it out!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not sure about Tangledeep, but TOME4 lets you turn off permadeath entirely, or play in 'adventure' mode where you get a limited number of extra lives as you level.

e: d'oh, too late.

Adventure mode is great though, it allows me to gently caress up or die to unfair bullshit a few times but still feel like I earned a win

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

See also: Caves of Qud

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What are some good games to play through by myself on MAME?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

What are some good games to play through by myself on MAME?

What kinds of games do you like? There's a ton of good shmups, fighting games, run & guns, light gun games, beat-em-ups, racing games...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Basically anything that seems fun to play alone. Fighting games probably aren't going to hold my interest for very long, but anything else, I guess. I've never delved into MAME, I don't know what is a good arcade game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Motherfucking Elevator Action Returns

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

credburn posted:

Basically anything that seems fun to play alone. Fighting games probably aren't going to hold my interest for very long, but anything else, I guess. I've never delved into MAME, I don't know what is a good arcade game.

SHMUPs are arcade mainstays and there are decades of great games to try! Here's our SHMUP thread. If you ctrl-f for 'arcade', you'll see several recommended titles in the op. It's a fruitful thread search term, as is 'MAME.'

If you'd like a quick recommendation: G-DARIUS, from 1997. It's charming and energetic, and the gameplay holds up perfectly well, as basically all good SHMUPs do.
If you want to try a bullet hell, then check out Progear no Arashi.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Arcade games:
- I have a soft spot for 19XX, which is a sci-fi sequel to Capcom's WW2-themed (non-bullet-hell) shmups. It has a lot of big set pieces and a cool sense of scale and escalation.
- Final Fight is the game that really cemented the beat-em-up genre, and it still holds up well today.
- You can play original classics like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Centipede, and Galaga.
- The Metal Slug series is a solid selection of run-and-gun games. They're all pretty good, though MS3 is kind of a slog. Definitely play in release order.
- Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo is a classic in the "vs. puzzling" genre, and absolutely a blast in solo play.
- Bust A Move (a.k.a. Puzzle Bobble) is a good puzzler.

The cool thing about arcade games is that they know that you had to pay money to play the game, and you're not going to keep paying money unless they've hooked you. So they usually lead with their most impressive, eye-catching stuff in the first level. For MAME, that means there's comparatively little stakes for you as a player: if you play the first 60 seconds or so and aren't feeling it, the game probably isn't for you, and you can move on.

You can also usually just credit feed your way through a game, if you want to see the content but don't want to bother mastering it. The downside to arcade games is that they can be ludicrously, unfairly hard especially towards the end. All of the games I listed, except for the "original classics" ones, can plausibly be 1CC'd by a reasonably competent player. The classics don't really end, except insofar as there might be a kill screen eventually because the game stops being able to track how many loops you've done.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm sure someone can beat Final Fight without feeding the game tons of continues but I count myself lucky if I can finish the second level before needing a continue. Then after that it's just a land slide.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The second D&D arcade game is a blast and a half

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The second D&D arcade game is a blast and a half

Oh yeah, Shadows over Mystara is a classic. There's a Steam release of it too.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Arcade wise, some personal favourites:

Beat'em up: Double Dragon is when the genre started for me as a kid, and Final Fight is where it peaked as far as I'm concerned.

Shmups: too many to list, but Batsugun Special Version is probably my favourite overall. It's a bit of a hybrid between old-school Toaplan and what would become the modern bullet hell genre, it's pretty, and it doesn't overstay its welcome with just 5 stages. Armed Police Batrider is super stylish too, though I find it a lot harder. For an alternative one, I also adore Kingdom Granprix which is a fantasy racing shmup. Yes, you read that right.

Run and gun: I'm more into the vertical ones, with Outzone and Fixeight at the top of my list, with sci-fi action hero stuff. But since I'm a sucker for underwater stuff, In the Hunt would come close as a submarine version of metal slug.

Older platform/arcade classics: Kung Fu Master hasn't really aged well but is nostalgia food to me. Ghost'n'Goblins too ate so much of my pocket money and I never even reached stage 3 back then.

Ninjas: too many to list, but Mystic Warriors is up there in the very top. Multiple ninjas to pick from, a clan to avenge, and so many cool set pieces... Like, the back half of stage 2 is fought downhill on skis.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

FishMcCool posted:

I also adore Kingdom Granprix which is a fantasy racing shmup. Yes, you read that right.

Chicken is no need!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Ok this is gonna be a weird ask: are there any games in a similar life sim vein as stick rpg where you kind of start off at zero and then slowly but surely acquire wealth and build a community or whatever. Yes I've already played stick rpg 2, stardew valley, etc.