Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

chainchompz posted:

Ok this is gonna be a weird ask: are there any games in a similar life sim vein as stick rpg where you kind of start off at zero and then slowly but surely acquire wealth and build a community or whatever. Yes I've already played stick rpg 2, stardew valley, etc.

Might as well fill out some more of that etc. A Dark Room (free), Graveyard Keeper, Dragon Quest Build (has a demo).

Then I guess it depends what kind of building up you want. Merchant of Skies has a lot of numbers to go up, but not much characters or stories. Punch Club has you building up your character's stats and really climbing that ladder as well as some neat characters and a little story (and no actual combat). Cook Serve Delicious has the actual gameplay of tapping out a bunch of button combos for everything you serve at your diner, but you also tactically climb your way up the restaurant ladder to get more and more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Is there a game like monster hunter that's not monster hunter (or dauntless)? Where you fight a boss and learn its moves to farm materials to get stronger to fight the next boss? Multiplayer optional.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

chainchompz posted:

Ok this is gonna be a weird ask: are there any games in a similar life sim vein as stick rpg where you kind of start off at zero and then slowly but surely acquire wealth and build a community or whatever. Yes I've already played stick rpg 2, stardew valley, etc.

Check out Dinkum, which combines Stardew's scrappy newcomer homesteading with Animal Crossing's build-a-community. The downside is that they do a collect-the-nature museum bit, but the curator isn't my perfect friend, Blathers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

chainchompz posted:

Are you familiar with our lord and savior My Time at Sandrock?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Tagichatn posted:

Is there a game like monster hunter that's not monster hunter (or dauntless)? Where you fight a boss and learn its moves to farm materials to get stronger to fight the next boss? Multiplayer optional.

God Eater? Or is that too on the nose

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

There are tons of Monster Hunter imitators; out of the ones I've tried I enjoyed the Toukiden games the most.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Toukiden 2 is pretty alright as far as MonHun clones go.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Thanks everyone, for giving me a lot to look through.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Might as well fill out some more of that etc. A Dark Room (free), Graveyard Keeper, Dragon Quest Build (has a demo).

Then I guess it depends what kind of building up you want. Merchant of Skies has a lot of numbers to go up, but not much characters or stories. Punch Club has you building up your character's stats and really climbing that ladder as well as some neat characters and a little story (and no actual combat). Cook Serve Delicious has the actual gameplay of tapping out a bunch of button combos for everything you serve at your diner, but you also tactically climb your way up the restaurant ladder to get more and more money.
I bounced off of graveyard keeper, hard.
I'll look up punch club!

Shine posted:

Check out Dinkum, which combines Stardew's scrappy newcomer homesteading with Animal Crossing's build-a-community. The downside is that they do a collect-the-nature museum bit, but the curator isn't my perfect friend, Blathers.
Definitely checking out dinkum.

Jack Trades posted:

I am not- looking at it now.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 20, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Graveyard Keeper certainly has a certain kind of attitude that you either buy into or you don't, and a bit of a weird main gameplay loop. Punch Club is more straightforward and lighter.

Punch Club 2 has a demo to check out, but it's also doing some weird cyberpunk thing, so it's weirder than the first game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tagichatn posted:

Wild Hearts looks fantastic and while the gameplay loop is the same (kill stuff, craft stuff, work through a regular "uh-oh the villiage is under attack we gotta figure out why") offers enough that's fundamentally different from Monster Hunter that you can avoid just thinking "I would rather be playing Monster Hunter". EA hosed up the release and dropped it like a rock when it wasn't that successful and the playerbase is gone but that won't be a problem if you're fine with sigle-player.

Are there any other farming/business/life-sim games like Sakuna that are the anti-Stardew Valley? By which I mean instead of a hundred different simple things it just goes one thing but goes in-depth the way Sakuna does with rice-growing (which asks you to control planting spacing, water-levels, fertiliser levels, weeding, fertiliser mix, milling and grinding and husking)?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 21, 2024

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Coming from Stardew Valley, how does this compare to SV and Coral Island, another game a friend of mine is recommending to me in the same vein?

Reviews have me leaning toward Sandrock, but does anyone have experience with both (or all 3)?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GunblazeGriffin posted:

Coming from Stardew Valley, how does this compare to SV and Coral Island, another game a friend of mine is recommending to me in the same vein?

Reviews have me leaning toward Sandrock, but does anyone have experience with both (or all 3)?

Coral Island is decent but is currently unfinished, they ran out of funds and slapped a 1.0 on it to get the release boost.

Sandrock is a hefty chunk of content but isn't really focusing on farming far more on gathering, building and quests. (The stories are arguably better than Stardews, definitely more fleshed out)

Nothing will be as good as Stardew Valley

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I finally had a weekend to break the spell of Warpforge (a 40K not-Hearthstone) that has been my go to breaks/small session game. I’m looking for a mobile game that is turn based, can have meaningful progress or decisions in a short amount of time, and ideally isn’t a monetization nightmare. Card games are ok, but I prefer turn based tactics, roguelikes, RPGs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Naramyth posted:

I finally had a weekend to break the spell of Warpforge (a 40K not-Hearthstone) that has been my go to breaks/small session game. I’m looking for a mobile game that is turn based, can have meaningful progress or decisions in a short amount of time, and ideally isn’t a monetization nightmare. Card games are ok, but I prefer turn based tactics, roguelikes, RPGs.

Into the Breach

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Hwurmp posted:

Into the Breach

I’ve played the biological limit of into the breach on like 4 platforms :v:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

There are tons of Monster Hunter imitators; out of the ones I've tried I enjoyed the Toukiden games the most.

Jack Trades posted:

Toukiden 2 is pretty alright as far as MonHun clones go.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can I get some recommendations for RPGs that give you space to roleplay and have good reactivity for your choices?

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous was exceptional about it in almost every regard, both giving you tons of options to play the kind of character you wanted to play and also having a buttload of reactivity for it.

Games like Disco Elysium are also okay, despite you playing a specific person with an established backstory it still allowed you to make the character your own, so to speak, and had plenty of reactivity to your choices.

EDIT: Also, for reference, while I liked Baldur's Gate 3 a whole lot, I thought that it's character's options while better than most still weren't that fantastic. I really struggled to figure out how to make the kind of character I wanted to make.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 22, 2024

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Can I get some recommendations for RPGs that give you space to roleplay and have good reactivity for your choices?

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous was exceptional about it in almost every regard, both giving you tons of options to play the kind of character you wanted to play and also having a buttload of reactivity for it.

Games like Disco Elysium are also okay, despite you playing a specific person with an established backstory it still allowed you to make the character your own, so to speak, and had plenty of reactivity to your choices.

EDIT: Also, for reference, while I liked Baldur's Gate 3 a whole lot, I thought that it's character's options while better than most still weren't that fantastic. I really struggled to figure out how to make the kind of character I wanted to make.
Have you tried Tyranny?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Or Planescape: Torment?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

for greater or lesser values of "RPG," "roleplay," "reactivity," and "and":

Alpha Protocol
Open Sorcery
Slay the Princess
Magical Diary
Pyre
The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jack Trades posted:

Pentiment, especially if you're into medieval Europe. It's an interactive fiction game like Disco Elysium but a bit more room to define the character's backstory. 40% off on steam right now too.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Jack Trades posted:

Rogue Trader is by the same folks who made Pathfinder, and I just finished it over the weekend. I thought it handled choices well enough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Have you tried Tyranny?

I saw a good review on it that praised a lot of it but also tailed about some of the core systems being flawed and the ending being extremely unfinished/rushed. The latter in particular makes it difficult to want to invest time into it unfortunately.

ultrafilter posted:

Or Planescape: Torment?

Hwurmp posted:

Alpha Protocol
Both of these games seem great but I can't bring myself to play them unfortunately. The former is way too archaic and the latter is way too broken.
I watched a playthrough of Planescape and it had a lot of cool moments.
Alpha Protocol seems like a really cool game...somewhere underneath the jankiest gameplay I've ever played.

Hwurmp posted:

Open Sorcery
Slay the Princess
Magical Diary
Pyre
The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood

Slay the Princess is amazing.

The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood...has some really cool ideas and worldbuilding, and I really enjoyed playing about half of it before it pulled one of the weirdest and the most confusing narrative 'gently caress you''s I've ever seen in a game.

Does Pyre have uhh...roleplaying and reactivity? I admit I haven't seen much of it, and I know that you're making a particular set of choices through it but I wasn't under the impression that it affects the narrative in a meaningful manner.

Open Sorcery and Magical Diary don't look like the kind of games I would usually give a second glance to but I'll give them a shot now.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Tyranny's ending is perfectly fine, and has a good few variations depending on what you did. No, it doesn't explain/conclude the entire setting, but the story of the Conquest of the Tiers is told in full.

The combat isn't great, with a not-terribly-good mix of RtwP with cooldowns which heavily encourages/favours ability spam. But it works, and the spellmaking is neat. And well, the setting and local stories are top tier imho. It's not every fantasy game that makes your character an actual Big Deal and has the world react to you in consequence.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Open Sorcery and Magical Diary don't look like the kind of games I would usually give a second glance to but I'll give them a shot now.

I'm a bit less certain of the Magical Diaries but Open Sorcery is really good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Tyranny's ending is perfectly fine, and has a good few variations depending on what you did. No, it doesn't explain/conclude the entire setting, but the story of the Conquest of the Tiers is told in full.

The combat isn't great, with a not-terribly-good mix of RtwP with cooldowns which heavily encourages/favours ability spam. But it works, and the spellmaking is neat. And well, the setting and local stories are top tier imho. It's not every fantasy game that makes your character an actual Big Deal and has the world react to you in consequence.

I was under the impression that the state of the ending was much more dire than that. I suppose I should give it a shot then.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Jack Trades posted:

Does Pyre have uhh...roleplaying and reactivity? I admit I haven't seen much of it, and I know that you're making a particular set of choices through it but I wasn't under the impression that it affects the narrative in a meaningful manner.

It's pretty reactive, yeah. It even has a cool take on ending slides - the credits song talks about what happened to your party members after the game, and there are a bunch of alternate verses that get swapped in dynamically depending on how things went in your playthrough. (This is in addition to more conventional ending slides that go into a bit more detail)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Battle for Polytopia is a great little simplified 4x and would fit the bill.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tyranny's final act is brutally truncated but the ending itself is an extremely cool encounter and basically exactly this:

quote:

give you space to roleplay and have good reactivity for your choices
It ends on a high note.

Beyond the reactivity and roleplaying, it does some innovative stuff in the CRPG space by playing around with a spellcrafting system, the way skill checks effect encounter composition, affects stat gain, affects skill checks... lots of feedback going all around. Plus a memorable and weirdly appropriate moment of 4th wall breaking.

If you're approaching it from a systems-based viewpoint, you're going to get really frustrated with the game's shortcomings at times. It tries a lot of stuff and probably would have nailed most of it if Obsidian had an extra year to work on it. As usual :smith: although this time, most of what they were trying was totally unlike their previous games.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Tyranny also features dramatic consequences for your pre-game actions which is insanely cool.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009
Does anyone have any opinions on the various "HD-2D" games out there (e.g. Octopath Traveler 1/2, Live A Live, Sea of Stars, etc.)?

I want to try something with that HD pixel art style and a good narrative, but ideally not too challenging.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Octopath Traveler 2 is a real treat. You don't need to have played the first, and it's an improvement in every way.

Live A Live is one of the all time greats. Definitely worth a play, and it doesn't even feel as old as it is.

Sea of Stars looks pretty but that's about all it has going for it unfortunately.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GunblazeGriffin posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the various "HD-2D" games out there (e.g. Octopath Traveler 1/2, Live A Live, Sea of Stars, etc.)?

I want to try something with that HD pixel art style and a good narrative, but ideally not too challenging.

Octopath 2 is very, very good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any good games for turning off your brain with and just chilling after a long work day/overtime? Balatro is a good example, but doesn't necessarily need to be a card gme.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Are there any good games for turning off your brain with and just chilling after a long work day/overtime? Balatro is a good example, but doesn't necessarily need to be a card gme.

Grindstone!!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Weird request, but what's a good game that's easy to pick up and play and then pause/stop immediately? Basically, what's a game I can play on Steam at work when it's slow and the boss isn't looking?

Vampire Survivors is still kinda the king for me. I can get in and play a session very quickly, a full session is only 30 minutes, and I can pause it anytime I need. Same with Binding of Isaac.

Open to many genres. I like turn-based games, sims, city builders/management, RPGs, puzzles, platformers, survivor-likes, roguelikes/roguelites; really anything. FPSs or things that require a lot of attention (or a controller) is probably out.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 24, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I use vampire survivors for this. Pairs well with a podcast or long video on another monitor

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

Weird request, but what's a good game that's easy to pick up and play and then pause/stop immediately? Basically, what's a game I can play on Steam at work when it's slow and the boss isn't looking?

Vampire Survivors is still kinda the king for me. I can get in and play a session very quickly, a full session is only 30 minutes, and I can pause it anytime I need. Same with Binding of Isaac.

Open to many genres. I like turn-based games, sims, city builders/management, RPGs, puzzles, platformers, survivor-likes, roguelikes/roguelites; really anything. FPSs or things that require a lot of attention (or a controller) is probably out.

Slice and dice is on steam now isn't it?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chemical Sort and Cherry Creek are fantastic coffee break games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Baba Is You
Cobalt Core
A Little to the Left
Five Finger Death Punch
Into the Breach
ISLANDERS
Jets 'n' Guns
LYNE
PowerWash Simulator
YEAH! YOU WANT "THOSE GAMES," RIGHT? SO HERE YOU GO! NOW, LET'S SEE YOU CLEAR THEM!

Deadly Rooms of Death has a bunch of free episodes

probably any picross game; good ones on Steam include Pepper's Puzzles, Paint It Back, Murder by Numbers, Voxelgram, Logiart Grimoire, and Khimera: Puzzle Island but the internet's got tons of free picross too

Project Warlock is an FPS but most of its levels can be cleared in five minutes or less