Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Franchescanado posted:

Weird request, but what's a good game that's easy to pick up and play and then pause/stop immediately? Basically, what's a game I can play on Steam at work when it's slow and the boss isn't looking?

Vampire Survivors is still kinda the king for me. I can get in and play a session very quickly, a full session is only 30 minutes, and I can pause it anytime I need. Same with Binding of Isaac.

Open to many genres. I like turn-based games, sims, city builders/management, RPGs, puzzles, platformers, survivor-likes, roguelikes/roguelites; really anything. FPSs or things that require a lot of attention (or a controller) is probably out.

Depending on your job, TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O might not even require tabbing out for you to look like you were working.

For more gentle zoning out, Luck Be a Landlord is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Franchescanado posted:

Weird request, but what's a good game that's easy to pick up and play and then pause/stop immediately? Basically, what's a game I can play on Steam at work when it's slow and the boss isn't looking?

Vampire Survivors is still kinda the king for me. I can get in and play a session very quickly, a full session is only 30 minutes, and I can pause it anytime I need. Same with Binding of Isaac.

Open to many genres. I like turn-based games, sims, city builders/management, RPGs, puzzles, platformers, survivor-likes, roguelikes/roguelites; really anything. FPSs or things that require a lot of attention (or a controller) is probably out.

I've made this recommendation several times now, but Dicey Dungeons is perfect for this. Can stop and start on a whim, is completely turn-based, auto-saves before every fight in case you need to suddenly quit, can be played with the sound off without any issues. Play sessions tend to last anywhere from 20-40 minutes. And it's also super fun.

It's listed as a rougelite deckbuilder, but that's not really accurate. You do build a "deck" (really just gathering/upgrading equipment) during a play session, but nothing persists between play sessions, so you're not building up a starter deck or getting stronger through repeated play. Instead, whenever you beat a level you unlock a new level which will have a slightly different set of rules or conditions. The levels are surprisingly varied and strategies that work in one level often won't work in the next level, so it's lots of fun experimenting. Between the main game and the free DLCs there is more than 50 levels and multiple characters with completely different play styles.

It goes on sale all the time on Steam, often at 75% off, so perhaps wait for that if you're on the fence.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 24, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

cmndstab posted:

I've made this recommendation several times now, but Dicey Dungeons is perfect for this. Can stop and start on a whim, is completely turn-based, auto-saves before every fight in case you need to suddenly quit, can be played with the sound off without any issues. Play sessions tend to last anywhere from 20-40 minutes. And it's also super fun.

Dicey Dungeons is my Slay the Spire game of choice and I wish more people played it.

I also wish I was better at it but, eh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Luftrausers
FTL

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009
Can anyone recommend some cheap, non-PS+ featured, PlayStation 4 / PlayStation 5 console exclusive games for under $10-15?

I've got some PlayStation wallet funds to spend, the May Savings sale is on, and I need to make two full game purchases to level up my Playstation Stars rank.

If I'm going to buy something on the PS Store, I ideally want it to be something I can't get on Steam and that has either replayability or is worth the price of admission up front.

I don't want to go for throwaway games like "Pet the ___". I'd like to find some kind of a gem down in the lower price ranges.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is little big planet on PS4. The original was so good

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

ilmucche posted:

Is little big planet on PS4. The original was so good

i think there's a sequel of it on there.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

LBP3 is, but unfortunately the servers for the games were shut off suddenly so online levels aren't available anymore

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Reminds me how it's kind of a shame Microsoft let the Viva Pinata series just die. It seemed pretty iconic for the Xbox.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I’m curious if anyone has recommendations for top-down view open world real time action/RPG games. Ideally where there is a main story and quests, but you can also putter around doing side stuff if you like. I am not very good at playing first or third person games with a controller, so these are sort of ideal for Steam Deck- so stuff like Kenshi where a mouse is required are out. I just like to sort of putter around and do things in these.

Examples of stuff like this I’ve enjoyed:
- Weird West (a bit more directed than I need in a story)
- Tunguska: The Visitation
- Shakedown Hawaii

I didn’t like it as much but mostly fits the description:
- Black Skylands (I did not love the game itself, but structurally what I was looking for)
- Rustler
- ParaDize

Sort of adjacent stuff would be:
- Crashlands (maybe a bit simple but hey)
- corekeeper/Necesse

There are a bunch of turn based games like this but really more interested in non turn based. I’m also not really looking for fully action games without any sandbox/open world elements (eg Titan Quest or Diablo).

Any suggestions would be great, it seems like this might be sort of a niche genre.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

tildes posted:

I’m curious if anyone has recommendations for top-down view open world real time action/RPG games. Ideally where there is a main story and quests, but you can also putter around doing side stuff if you like. I am not very good at playing first or third person games with a controller, so these are sort of ideal for Steam Deck- so stuff like Kenshi where a mouse is required are out. I just like to sort of putter around and do things in these.

- Shakedown Hawaii

- Black Skylands (I did not love the game itself, but structurally what I was looking for)
- Rustler
- ParaDize

- corekeeper/Necesse

There are a bunch of turn based games like this but really more interested in non turn based. I’m also not really looking for fully action games without any sandbox/open world elements (eg Titan Quest or Diablo).

Any suggestions would be great, it seems like this might be sort of a niche genre.

Maybe Satellite Reign? Big world to roam around in, top-down real-time-strategy action, pulling off heists, abducting people to bolster your clones, and so on.

Another possibility is Seven, which is an interesting top-down immersive-sim thief RPG that you could get into: a little janky from overambition, but fun.

There's also The Ascent: cyberpunk top-down shooter RPG with a big world to roam around in.

I haven't played them much so I can't be sure, but maybe From Space, or DYSMANTLE, or ZERO Sievert?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tildes posted:

- Shakedown Hawaii

- Rustler
- ParaDize

- corekeeper/Necesse

CrossCode
Free Stars: The Ur-Quan Masters
The Riftbreaker

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 5, 2024

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tildes posted:

I’m curious if anyone has recommendations for top-down view open world real time action/RPG games.

Free demos exist for Zombasite and Transcendence. The former is pretty drat weird, sort of an open-world Diablo-like where the world simulation itself generates rivals and missions for you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Ascent is actually a really good suggestion, try that. Crosscode is great too.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty all for the suggestions!

I will definitely try these out- I think I actually have Seven already from some bundle, and gave up on Satellite Reign without really giving it a shot. Love the pitch for Transcendence- I like a lot of the games which seem sort of Ur Quan masters inspired also, but had never actually played it.

I had previously started The Ascent, but it felt a bit more like a shooter without as much of the RPG or sandbox elements? How linear does it end up being?

Crosscode I felt was almost perfect but the puzzles eventually got to me.

Zero Sievert also looks like it will be ideal, just waiting on full controller support for it still I think.

Dysmantle is actually on phones so I’ve played it a decent bit on iOS!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

tildes posted:

Ty all for the suggestions!

I will definitely try these out- I think I actually have Seven already from some bundle, and gave up on Satellite Reign without really giving it a shot. Love the pitch for Transcendence- I like a lot of the games which seem sort of Ur Quan masters inspired also, but had never actually played it.

I had previously started The Ascent, but it felt a bit more like a shooter without as much of the RPG or sandbox elements? How linear does it end up being?

Crosscode I felt was almost perfect but the puzzles eventually got to me.

Zero Sievert also looks like it will be ideal, just waiting on full controller support for it still I think.

Dysmantle is actually on phones so I’ve played it a decent bit on iOS!

Haha, I had similar circumstances as well: got Seven from GoG for free? as part of some bundle or promo, and my first attempt at Satellite Reign ended very early, barely giving it a chance, but when I revisited it later on since I was craving a Syndicate/Commandos-like I ended up loving it.

For The Ascent, it is very much a shooter with some minor RPG elements like picking your active abilities, switching/upgrading guns, and some minor perks and such. In terms of how linear it is, I can't quite say as I played it straightforwardly doing just the main story, but I remember the world having a lot of open-world elements like sidequests and bounties and gear and all that jazz, but I'm not sure of the extent of it.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 6, 2024

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

FutureCop posted:

Haha, I had similar circumstances as well: got Seven from GoG for free? as part of some bundle or promo, and my first attempt at Satellite Reign ended very early, barely giving it a chance, but when I revisited it later on since I was craving a Syndicate/Commandos-like I ended up loving it.

For The Ascent, it is very much a shooter with some minor RPG elements like picking your active abilities, switching/upgrading guns, and some minor perks and such. In terms of how linear it is, I can't quite say as I played it straightforwardly doing just the main story, but I remember the world having a lot of open-world elements like sidequests and bounties and gear and all that jazz, but I'm not sure of the extent of it.

Have gotten a decent ways into Seven now, and it’s exactly what I was looking for. Totally would’ve overlooked this, thank you for the rec!

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
What are some good games with the ability to mix local and online play? The wife and I would like some more stuff to play with distant friends. This seems pretty rare and is extremely difficult to research online so I’m turning to goons for help. I know there’s a lot more possibilities if we eliminated the local requirement but let’s just pretend that’s not an option for now.

Coop that is not too difficult would be ideal due to vast skill gaps but some extremely lighthearted and not-so-skill-based competition might also work.

PS5 and PC are the platforms we currently have but I’d be interested in finding what the Switch offers as well (maybe it’d convince me to buy one eventually).

Some of the only options we’ve found so far:
Diablo
Overcooked

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MrXmas posted:

What are some good games with the ability to mix local and online play? The wife and I would like some more stuff to play with distant friends. This seems pretty rare and is extremely difficult to research online so I’m turning to goons for help. I know there’s a lot more possibilities if we eliminated the local requirement but let’s just pretend that’s not an option for now.

Coop that is not too difficult would be ideal due to vast skill gaps but some extremely lighthearted and not-so-skill-based competition might also work.

PS5 and PC are the platforms we currently have but I’d be interested in finding what the Switch offers as well (maybe it’d convince me to buy one eventually).

Some of the only options we’ve found so far:
Diablo
Overcooked

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Jackbox Party Pack
Earth Defense Force 5
Helldivers 2, if you're willing to buy a copy for both your PS5 and PC and play together that way

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 6, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Deep Rock Galactic, basically same concept as Helldivers except dwarves instead of comedy fascists.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

been gaming a little on the couch with this old 2 core integrated intel gfx laptop. just tales of maj'eyal which has been fun. any other low-spec games well suited for touchpad/keyboard and semi-divided attention?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kevin Bacon posted:

been gaming a little on the couch with this old 2 core integrated intel gfx laptop. just tales of maj'eyal which has been fun. any other low-spec games well suited for touchpad/keyboard and semi-divided attention?

Deadly Rooms of Death

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Deadly Rooms of Death

that looks sick lol. how have i not heard of this before? thanks

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

MrXmas posted:

Rocket League and Duck Game should both support it, IIRC

Co-Optimus refers to it as "combo co-op" which also gives some useful suggestions

Kevin Bacon posted:

Maybe obvious but Balatro or Dicey Dungeons?

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

overeager overeater posted:

Co-Optimus refers to it as "combo co-op" which also gives some useful suggestions

This is great, thanks for the tip!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

iOS games that can be played with one hand? That aren’t idlers or gacha games that play themselves

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Coming back to this thread because I got great recs before. I recently got all the endings in 30XX and it ruled. One of the best action platformers I've played.

Any other games that have equally great platforming and combat on Switch or PS5? Preferably no metroidvanias but light exploration is fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

Coming back to this thread because I got great recs before. I recently got all the endings in 30XX and it ruled. One of the best action platformers I've played.

Any other games that have equally great platforming and combat on Switch or PS5? Preferably no metroidvanias but light exploration is fine.

30XX's movement and combat is directly inspired by the Mega Man Zero and ZX games, so you might look into those. There was a relatively recent bundle that came out, might be on the Switch. I will say that ZX and ZX Advent are a lot more accessible than Mega Man Zero, mostly due to the Zero series coming out on the GBA with its comparatively tiny screen.

You might also look at WayForward's in-house games, particularly Mighty Switch Force and Shantae. (WayForward did the MMZ/ZX games) The main problem there is that WayForward's art team is pervy as poo poo, and they do their best work when they're working on someone else's IP and are kept on a tighter leash.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Thanks. Shouldve mentioned Ive played some MMZ games which is how I was able to clear 30XX pretty fast by muscle memory alone.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Looking through the INTI CREATES catalog is always a good bet for 2D action platformers: maybe consider Azure Striker Gunvolt, or Bloodstained Curse of the Moon and their many sequels and spinoffs?

I certainly had a lot of fun with indie darling Gravity Circuit, and I really love LIBLADE as well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Thanks for the tips. Gravity Circuit looks great and I'll probably try it next.