Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

EDITED UPDATE - I am pretty much done with my OP request now, having received many great suggestions to go on, so don't be afraid to hijack this thread for all your own personal game request needs! All the cool kids are doin' it.
-------

Sorry, got another one of these threads here, I couldn't find the previous generic Recommendation Thread. :( Someone really needs to make a sticky megathread or something, I'd start it myself if I thought anyone would use it.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good classic FPS RPG. I remember loving those things when I was a kid... they were like Doom 2 or Heretic, but you could talk to people! :aaa: Such realism was utterly mindblowing to me. I can't remember what any of them were, sadly, but they were pretty fun so I'd like some again. Older games obviously a preference, so go nuts, nostalgic nerds!

I'd also prefer single-character games since I hate having to manage a bunch of wankers instead of being able to immerse myself in one wanker, but I'll also consider a multi-char game if it's like, REALLY good, or if the characters actually have personality.

Might and Magic series seems a bit too 'fantasy' for me, with giant-boobed tavern wenches and many ugly character portraits cluttering up my nice clean interface, and I also remember World of Xeen being too hard for me. But again, if someone praises it highly enough I might give it a whirl.

I don't mind if it's grid-based instead of fully 3D. Something like Orcs And Elves would be perfect, actually.

edit: When I say classic or older games, what I mean is "something from around '95 or earlier'. poo poo I may have played when I was a kid, that used a lot of sprites and pixelly textures. SS2 or Vampire Masquerade, for example, are more recent and technologically advanced than I'm thinking of.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

Arx Fatalis is basically the modern successor to Ultima Underworld. It's a good game but it's not old enough be to considered "classic".

Strife is a 3D FPS RPG hybrid based on the Doom engine.

And of course Deus Ex... but everyone should've played that by now.

All of these games are full action however, and most of them RPG lite.
gently caress, I'd forgotten about Arx Fatalis, thanks. Been wanting to try it for ages but kept forgetting about it. Only 500mb too, sweet.

Strife looks interesting. I may give it a try.

Deus Ex can kiss my rear end. :colbert: It's a bit more modern than I was looking for anyway (same goes for Vampire Masquerade and Oblivion, technically AF is too but I'll make an allowance).

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 5, 2009

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I have but they are not what I'm after at present.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yes I have SS2, LGS are my favourite non-company and I bored the forums with my Garrett crush when ThiAf was announced.

Sorry, it seems I've been unclear in what I'm actually asking for. Updated my OP with this paragraph -

quote:

edit: When I say classic or older games, what I mean is "something from around '95 or earlier'. poo poo I may have played in DOS when I was a kid, that used a lot of sprites and pixelly textures. SS2 or Vampire Masquerade, for example, are a lot more recent and technologically advanced than I'm thinking of.

Again, apologies. It hadn't occured to me that stuff like SS2 or Deus Ex might be considered old games. I only jumped at the Arx Fatalis recommendation because I've been forgetting to buy that thing for years now.

Speaking of LGS, someone recommended Ultima Underworld to me, and awful interfaces aside, those games look like exactly the sort of thing I mean.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, OP, I wouldn't worry about how "fantasy" it seems - it's intentional, at least in the later games; somewhere along the line the entire Might and Magic series became parody. (Might've been from the start, but I haven't played the first two.)
Okay okay, I'll get M&M 6. Goddamn World of Xeen, that horrible game plagued my life when I was 15. I hated it so much but couldn't stop playing. :mad:

I also said in the OP that multi player-characters annoy me unless they have real personality. I think M&M are all player-generated? Bah.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Think of it less as a party and more as an insane adventurer with four split personalities.
Hell, why did I never think of this.

Forsaken Flask posted:

The only game I can think of is the Elder Scrolls game Daggerfall. Never played many of the old RPGs, but I hear this one is pretty good.
I actually have this game, got it off the site when they offered it up for free. I tried it the other day and got turned off by the uglyass character portraits, but I'll have another go later.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Be warned that Arx Fatalis is pretty buggy on vista 64-bit.
Got XP. :smug:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tinker. posted:

I'm going to have to second Strife. If you haven't given it a try already you're doing yourself a disservice. I came to this thread hoping someone would post a game equivalent to somehow equivalent to Strife. Most amazing game concept my childhood mind could fathom.
I've just spent a coupla hours with some of the games recommended and Strife is pretty good. I think it is actually the game I played when I was little, the one I unintentionally visualised when asking for this stuff. As far as I can tell it's just a Doom game with more talking and less crazy poo poo, all I've done so far is explore the town and find out where the first 'dungeon' or whatever is.

Most amazing thing about it was the character art and the voices. They actually aren't poo poo. For some reason I was 100% certain they would be. The dude's voice in the intro is hilarious.

Daggerful was both fun and horrible in the starting dungeon, which is HARD. After I emerged with a ton of awesome magic armour, none of which my class can equip, I got to a town and it just became horrible without the fun. I can only assume I'm playing it wrong, because it just seemed to be an annoying huge maze of houses which are randomly inaccessable, and a bunch of retards who all say the same poo poo. Having a village the actual size of a village probably seems a great idea but I thought it was nightmarishly boring.

edit: I also can't pick any locks, and the telepathic guards instantly know when I've opened a chest that isn't mine even if there's no one else within three floors.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 6, 2009

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Shut up about Deus Ex you guys, I have Deus Ex.

Optilux posted:

You said you're a Looking Glass fan, so you may have played it already, but how about Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri? It's a series of FPS combat missions in very light mechs, with a few squadmates who you can order around, rather than an RPG. But was very good in '97 which was when I played it.
I have never heard of this game before now!

It actually looks like not my thing, but thanks. And I'd forgotten about Marathon, I think I used to like it until I kept getting lost. Pathways Into Darkness was my favourite retarded-awesome game when I was a kid and I think it's the same engine.

al-azad posted:

Lands of Lore is basically what Eye of the Beholder 3 should have been. You manage a small party but there are absolutely no stats to keep track of. Leveling up is automatic and a majority of the battle system is based on what weapons you have equipped so it's more of a strategy rpg than straight up number crunching.

Apparently I play a flabby rapist stalking ladies in the local park at night. Sold, I guess?

quote:

While you don't talk to anyone outside of cut scenes, Realms of the Haunting is a Cthulhu inspired horror adventure game with some devious puzzles and awesome weapons. Really atmospheric game and probably the only non-Command and Conquer game I've played with real actors in the FMVs that isn't totally campy.
Oh god, this looks like it could be really awesome or really awful. If I can find it somewhere and I don't need to download anything too huge, I'll take a look.

And how dare you say C&C isn't campy, they got loving Tim Curry for god's sake. The actors in those games had the most fun I've ever seen anyone have on camera making those things as hammy as possible.

edit: To the guy who mentioned Dark Spire, I started playing it during one of my memory lapses where I forget how much Atlus loving hate their customers. Think I got to floor 2 before bowing out.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 6, 2009

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

doctor iono posted:

Follow-up recommendation, then. Have you played The Last Express? It's kind of a similar game, but it's set right before the outbreak of WWI, and the whole game takes place on a train. Lots of emphasis on well-written characters and story, and everything takes place in real-time. Very nonlinear.

Plus they used a rotoscoping animation tool thing so everything looks like this:

You should know that this game is also incredibly hard to follow if you leave it for a day or two. I found it pretty hard to follow when I knew what I was doing.
And yeah, everything is realtime, a mode of gameplay that I usually hate, and it's entirely possible (probable) to miss out on necessary poo poo or awesome little scenes. But it's okay, because you can actually rewinds and fastforward time to pretty much anywhere you want. This single feature makes the game a freaking awesome experience. It also has lovely fight sequences that are sort of fun but get annoying fast, so the game lets you skip them. There are also cute lesbians.

Another thing you should know is that the game looks far better than in screenshots. In still images it looks like total crap, but when moving it's gorgeous.

Jetsetlemming posted:

You mentioned System Shock 2, but have you played System Shock 1? That's from 1995 right on the nose.
Yeah, I've been avoiding SS1 for like 5 years because I tried to play it after the ss2 masterpiece and the interface was horribly confusing. I've been meaning to try it again but there are other games I'd like to try that I'm less afraid of.

al-azad posted:

suggestions
Thanks, these look interesting, I'll try them if I can find them.

Also what is going on here - that first player character is a freaking bird. Not a birdman, an actual loving bird that someone dressed in a cape. That bird has no idea what's going on. :saddowns:

And this has got to be the cutest skeleton ever. :3: Holy poo poo look at him he's freaking adorable

quote:

That's Red Alert which is the most ridiculous continuing game storyline I've ever seen. The main series is very much serious.
I dunno man, I played the original C&C a while ago and it was pretty drat hammy. :colbert: My BF recommended the game on the strength of the hilarious fun the acting dudes have, and he was right.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh and I'm currently trying to play the first Ultima Underworld but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to run smoothly in DOSbox. I mean, it looks fine, the sound is fine, but the lag is horrible to the point where it's unplayable. Messing with the frameskip and CPU cycles helps a bit but it's still horrible. Seems to use a similar interface/engine to Daggerfall, and that worked fine with the settings Bethusda provided, so I know playability must be possible. Anyone have any recommended settings? :(

Tried the second one briefly and it's the same deal.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Vidmaster posted:

Daggerfall is fun but it's slow to get started in.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll give it a shot again later if I get bored with all these other suggestions.

scott14277 posted:

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but figured it wasn't worth making a new one...

Now added to OP - I am pretty much done with my OP request now, having received many great suggestions to go on, so don't be afraid to hijack this thread for all your own personal game request needs! All the cool kids are doin' it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Okay, I'm currently playing Menzoberrenzaaaaan or whatever the name is, which someone recommended for me. It's fun but loving unforgiving. It seems to use D&D rules, where the stats are all in some weird format like THESE PANTS ARE 10D7 AND THIS SWORD IS 1-5/2-7, tons of monsters can surround you out of goddamn nowhere at almost any point, and when you die you're loving dead for good. There are also like a ton of spells, but they're cut off by the screen so you have stuff like SPELL OF DETECT ..., and the manual doesn't list them so I can't check what they even do. gently caress the manual, it's a bastard and laid out in the most confusing way just to make me scan every inch of dense grey text to find out basic functions. CURE LIGHT WOU, I can figure out what that means and what effect it has, but what about AID or PRAYER? They're obviously cleric spells but beyond that who loving knows.

Other than that I'm kinda enjoying it. The writing is horribly 'fantasy' with lots of HOW DOST THOU FARE MY GOOD FRIEND, but crappy language aside it's really good, whoever penned it actually had a decent grasp of characterisation and such. I keep dying, which sucks, probably because I rolled a Thief and a Cleric (didn't really want a cleric but the chick in the surgical mask was too awesome). I figured I'd be picking up fighter npcs to make up for it now and then, but the guy from the starting village ain't such great shakes.

UU: Stygian Abyss is alright now I got it running but it does the crappy fantasy language without the advantage of good character dialogue. It's also a horrible loving maze and I keep drowning in the sewer runoff.

Anvil of Dawn has a way easier interface but less good story and more mazes to navigate. I also can't even pick my own character's name, there are 5 of them but they're pre-created. The little goblin, however, definitely has the most adorable face of the lot. I guess I'll stop playing once I get tired of locate-the-door-you-just-opened-with-the-floorswitch.

Lands of Lore I can't even play, after selecting my character it blacks out and never comes back. :(

Thanks gewns!

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 10, 2009

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Schurik posted:

Having finished Persona 3 and almost done with 4, I'm looking for some other long, story-driven RPGs in a contemporary setting, as that was a large part of the enjoyment with both of them. On PS2, Wii or PC. Anime is fine, as long as not everyone looks like they're five years old - the Persona style is pretty much the optimum and maximum. I'm guessing there are lots of people who asked themselves the same thing after they finished both, so shoot! Thanks!
Suikoden V would be a good place, I think. That was the one I went straight to once I was done with Persona because it's the only other JRPG franchise I can take seriously, and which has a few nonshit characters. Voices are awful though. Turn those off. Also takes ages to get into regarding action and so forth.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Schurik posted:

Ah, I have no idea how I missed that! It looks great, pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so thanks. And regarding the slow start, well, I think the first time I got to actually do ANYTHING in P4 was three hours or so into the game, and I don't really mind, as long as the payoff is worth it.

Erm, I forgot to mention that it's not a contemporary setting, but you've probably figured that out by now. It's sort of tongue-in-cheek fantasy with heavy political agendas. And the combat will be very dull after the Personas, but thankfully you won't really need to do it that much outside the 3 crappy dungeons. Plus there are so many ways to make gamebreaking amounts of money that you can just give everyone the best armour/runes instead of grinding much.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sorry to drag this thread up again.

I'm bored as hell and want to read some Let's Plays. Are there any particularly funny/epic ones that I shouldn't miss? I just finished all Nakar's Ultima ones with Steven the Avatar and I crave more.

Please don't recommend:
Animal Crossing
Flashback
Eien no Filena
Anything by RedChocobo
Anything by Nakar

...because I've read those.
I'd appreciate any input :(

(and why is King's Quest 6 not in the LP list?)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

HereticSenility posted:

I'm assuming based on the context of your post that you want screenshot-based ones, right?
Generally speaking, yeah. It's just that gamer goons tend to have really annoying voices and do horrible rifftrack attempts.

quote:

Also, all the Sprung LPs are a must. They are hilariously done. Slowbeef in general is pretty good at this poo poo, needless to say.
Ah yeah, I watched his The Immortal LP and it was rad, but couldn't remember his name or the game. Thankyew for the suggestions.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bloodloss posted:

I'm in the mood to play a good RPG. I want it to have choices and consequences - not just the illusion of choice you find in many RPGs these days, but choices that will actually affect things in a tangible way. A good storyline, good combat system (I prefer turn-based), good art style (not necessarily great graphics, I don't mind playing an old game), and good character customisation would all be big bonuses.

I haven't played many RPGs but I really loved Fallout 1, Final Fantasy 8 (completely different from what I've described but whatever), and Planescape: Torment.
I have no idea if I'm wasting both our time recommending this, because it's not really what you asked for, but if you want proper choices and custom characters because they usually give such a strong sense of immersion, then I gotta say Persona 3 is very good. It's anime but the story, dialogue and characters are all amazing. Even the anime art is very good, and I usually hate that style.

It's mostly linear plotwise, so I dunno whether it's what you're interested in. But each day you can choose whether to stay home and study to improve your stats, go out battling demons in the tower, to hang out with one of the MANY friends you can make (who all have 10 'chapters' as the friendship advances), or fuse your many pokemon horrific demon minions into 2 or 3 awesome ones. None of this will have any effect on the story (except the friendships, kinda) but it gives a strong sense of immersion. Planescape: Torment is my favourite story-driven RPG but Persona3 actually comes close second. I also love Fallout btw.

The characters will also speak constantly to your silent protagonist, and although the answers you pick don't really affect anything, it does a good job of making you feel they do. As in, if you treat Mort like poo poo in PS:T, kill Dogmeat in Fallout, or are mean to Junpei in P3, then nothing will really change but you will feel like such a horrible rear end in a top hat.

edit: in Persona 4 the way you treat your party members affects their attitude toward you and their battle performance. I've not played it though so cannot recommend.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Planescape: Torment maybe? My ex tried to play it and hated it because "IT'S TOO HARD THERE ARE TOO MANY PLACES TO GO", so I picked it up instead. By the time I finished it he was just as into it as I was, from watching it over my shoulder from time to time. He loved Morte so much.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Demicol posted:

Have you tried Seiken Densetsu 3 on the SNES? It's a Secret of Mana game that didn't get released outside of japan, there's a fan translation for it.
I personally liked it way more than SoM.

I did too back in my anime-lovin' days, but my otaku buddy who is obsessed with JRPGs absolutely LOATHES it. I dunno, maybe if you're a hardcore fan of SoM it's a horrible desecration, or something.

There are also a few things you need to know about it first regarding class builds and difficulty settings, because it's entirely possible to gimp your game.

Steerpike: Play the Persona games goddammit. 3 and 4 are considered masterpieces of the genre, and the music is loving badass. I say this as someone who loathes jrpgs but is compelled to play them for some reason, so my standards are pretty high.

Gormenghast fans represent :buddy:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 8, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Looking for some isometric RPGs. Please do not suggest Fallout 1 or 2, Planescape: Torment, Diablo, Lionheart, Arcanum, or Baldur's Gate (e: or Torchlight). I'd prefer something I haven't played before. Divine Divinity on GOG.com got reviewed by JayIsGames, that looks kind of like what I'm after. I also saw a review somewhere for Darkstone, although it looks like a fairly uninspired Diablo clone.

On a similar note, is it better to start on Baldur's Gate 1 or 2? Haven't really looked at them for years and I'd have to rebuy them... I can't remember much about either, but heard 2 is better. Also are there any mods/patches that are pretty much essential to playing, like that bigass FO2 fanmade one that fixed bugs and re-added unused content?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 6, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

OneTrueBru posted:

Torchlight is a fun little ARPG that might be worth your while to try, assuming you don't mind it being single-player only. It's basically Diablo 1, with a lick of paint. If you pick it up, definitely play on very hard though, it's a little too easy otherwise.

Sorry, I forgot to include Torchlight in my list of stuff I already have. It's not really what I was after anyway... I like having lots of quests/locations for some reason.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Palpek posted:

I would recommend Divine Divinity if you already read about it BUT not the second one. If it's any recommendation for you - what stands out in DD is very high interaction with the environment. You could basically use ANYTHING that layed around. There was no 'scengraphy' like in Diablo - if you saw a rake - you could pick it up. I remember running around with a pot for a helmet and a spoon in place of a sword just because I could.

There are also Sacred 2 and Titan's Quest missing from your list - TQ being basically a Diablo 2 DIRECT clone with VERY simmilar UI and even enemy types just set in ancient Greece. They changed drop colors for some reason - not to be TOO similar? - already too late.

Honorable mention also goes to Dungeon Siege which is amazing (second one not so much). I also heard some mixed (amazing! vs poo poo!) opinions about Loki, but haven't played it myself.

Thanks, haven't played any of those. Will get onto them.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Verty3 posted:

Just finished replaying System Shock 2, and was reminded of how good it is and how much better than the Bioshocks it is.

What comes close to being as atmospheric as System Shock 2? Anything?

Thief games? :shobon: Same company, same developers. Not sci-fi though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Law posted:

So I just played through the Dragon Quest games on the DS and they were actually a lot of fun. Exploring a bright and colourful, relatively non-linear world and working my way through a light enjoyable plot.

Are there any other games out there, Japanese or otherwise that are like this? The only other game I can think of is Earthbound which I loved to bits.

DQ series is one of my favourite franchises, as is the Mother series. There isn't really anything out there just like either of those, but here are some DS/GBA titles you may possibly like based on your criteria...

Mother 3, on the offchance you haven't heard, it's basically Earthbound 2. It's only released in Japan but there's a very very good fanslation patch out there. You'll need to play it on emulator or flash card.

Magical Starsign is a very silly and lighthearted, think it's by the same company as M3 even. The art is weird and most people aren't into the childishness. I can't remember if it's especially linear. I know it holds your hand for a pretty long while at the start.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga is a fuckin' great little rpg. So is M&L Bowser's Inside Story. You get to play Bowser and beat up dudes for no reason. :3:

Elebits: Kai and Zero is sort of a Zelda clone. It's very cute and fairly easy but reasonably long.

My World My Way is kind of, uh, different, but it's funny as hell if you can get past the strange system. There's not much you can do in it except customise battles and stuff though, it's not like DQ at all except the humour and occasional fourth wall breaking.

I can elaborate more on these titles if any of them catch your fancy.

(these are all DS games except Mother 3 and M&L: SS which are GBA)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

doctor iono posted:

If you haven't played it yet, I'd say that Shadow of the Colossus is a rewarding experience primarily because all of the environments you explore, and the colossi themselves are visually beautiful, too.

I'd say the Collosi are more awe-inspiring than beautiful, but it's a good choice. In the same vein I'd also recommend its predecessor/sequel Ico.

Everblue and other similar games by the same company feature underwater exploration. Literally all you do is swim around and look at poo poo. There are quests like "go here to find a thing" or "take pictures of these things" and so on, but the only real reason to play is to swim around in the ocean and explore a bunch of awesome reefs and shipwrecks.

Thanks for drawing my attention to Fragile Dreams, some anime cliches aside it looks pretty cool.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mq posted:

I'm also looking for good DS rpgs. However, I hate random encounters and mandatory grinding so games that have that stuff are a no-no. Don't really have any other requirements as long as the game is good. I already played and enjoyed Chrono Trigger.

Dragon Quest 9 (just out) has visible monsters roaming around the map. Seems easier than every previous DQ as well, so should be less grinding.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey speaking of Suikoden-

I really liked Suikoden5... Suikoden1 somewhat less. Suiko5 was great because it had so much extra poo poo to do not even counting the recruitments, what with the trading and fishing and decoration and voice/window/whatever collection. I usually hate JRPG characters but these ones were mostly very likeable and well fleshed out, especially considering that there's loving 108+ of them (the beavers were all irritating cunts but whatever). I even ended up with a mild crush on Oboro. :3: Hell even the ridiculous anime cliches didn't bug me because the game didn't rely on them. The NPCs always had different poo poo to say too, when I returned to their towns after events.

So which Suikoden, if any, might I also like? I heard that Suiko4 is awful, and that Suiko3 is considered really good... it looks significantly more uh, serious than Suiko5 though, not sure if I'd be into that. Suiko2 is also considered okay by reviewers but it's considerably dated...

HMMM.

ninja e: I do not consider Suiko Tierkreis part of the *proper* Suikoden series. :colbert:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Looking for a pc game I can play with my kids (10 year old boys) but that I would probably enjoy too. I mostly play indie/free games. They loved World of Goo, Trine, Spelunky, Torchlight, and especially Machinarium. Nothing too hard, they're not very good at the twitchy stuff (most of Spelunky was them watching me play and laughing uproariously whenever I died to something stupid). And of course adult themes at a minimum. Something marginally educational would be kind of cool (World of Goo does a great job of teaching basic architectural physics, for example).

Aquaria, maybe? It's kinda girly and Enya-riffic but it's a solid game. I really don't get the need for kids' stuff to be 'educational' and poo poo, but it has a ton of real-world sea life featured in it so if you don't really care what your kid learns so long as they're learning, you could justify that I guess.

And this isn't so much 'indie' as 'old as hell' but some of my absolute best childhood memories are from when I was 9/10, playing Monkey Island with my dad. It's epic and sarcastic and ridiculous, designed to hit all the right buttons for a ten-year-old nerd. It's actually been remade recently, I don't know if it's available on PC... I've avoided it because of my nostalgia associated with the original. It has a moderate amount of reading involved, so it might depend on their/your willingness to go through that (although I assume the new one has voices).

It teaches about pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I've been playing GOG's Arx Fatalis and it's pretty kickass. I also liked Outcast a lot. I'd like to get some more action rpgs from there, any suggestions? What about Enclave, is that any good?