Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Otter Wate posted:

Yeah I've been looking to try Republic. I couldn't tell if it was super linear; I like how in KOTOR your actions tend to influence later parts of the game. That's always something I look for since it ups the chances of me replaying it. I tried Democracy, but it's much more of a cut and dry political simulator, which is fun but not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll read some reviews of Republic before buying on GOG.

Republic is more of a board game than anything else. Take that how you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xenopax posted:

I'm missing the old SSI D&D video games where you got to create a party and dove into a dungeon. I really miss the following features:

* A user created party
* Turn based combat

Games that I loved were Ultima V, Dark Queen of Krynn, and other games in those genres. Is there anything like that out there these days?

The only games I can think of that fit this criteria are the Icewind Dale games. More loosely perhaps the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion, Storm of Zehir. Otherwise you're going back into older games, such as Wizardry 8. If we're REALLY turning back the clock, Dungeon Master and Dungeon Master 2 are the most literal... the entire game is creating a party and kicking a giant dungeon's rear end.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Serious Michael posted:

I was playing a Defense of the Ancients-esque game and it wasn't very much fun probably because I wasn't very good, and I was thinking how much better it would be as a first person shooter.

The closest thing I can think of is Command & Conquer: Renegade multiplayer, but that's lacking in people.

Is there such thing as a FPS DotA?

Closest thing I can think of is Savage or Savage 2. Both are now free to play online, I think there's some perks if you pay money though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brace posted:

Cmon, game similar to Champions of Norrath/Baldurs Gate Dark alliance, have played Gauntlet. Preferably no ps2 games since my ps2 doesn't work.

Assuming these didn't get mentioned, X-Men Legends 1 and 2, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2. There was also some Lord of the Rings game on PC that had co-op that was a port of a console game I think, but me and my friend didn't really like it. I don't remember the name of it but it might be up your alley if you can figure out what it was.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Personally I really liked Neverwinter Nights 2 but everything about it was improved in Dragon Age. Dragon Age to me is basically Neverwinter Nights 3.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Immortal Wombat posted:

Hah, this sounds stupid but I can't actually remember if I played NWN2. Certainly haven't played Mask of the Betrayer though and after reading a little bit about it, it sounds like just the thing.

Edit: Any tips before I start?

2nd edit: Good lord the patcher is slow

I like NWN2, but a lot of people here don't. This has a lot to do with a very slow beginning. I hate to give this advice but stick with it for a couple of hours before you decide whether or not to give it a shot. I'd say if you aren't into it by the end of the courtroom scene (you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there) than you probably aren't going to be.

Also, one thing I had to do to make NWN2 more playable is I found a mod that doubles your run speed. If you feel the run speed is agonizingly slow like I did you might consider googling for it. The downside is your party members can't keep up with you so if you're not just passing through someplace (the towns are fairly large and require a lot of running around) it can SOMETIMES be a liability, but I was able to work around it.

In a lot of ways it feels like an early build of Dragon Age. I never actually finished Mask of the Betrayer but it was some high quality stuff. However, I don't feel it was any better than the later parts of the original NWN2 campaign. I honestly don't get why Mask of the Betrayer was held in such particular esteem.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Poorly. Combat is just locking onto a target and mashing buttons. The PC version was fun because of the freedom of movement and directional attacks, neither of which translate very well in the port.

Well that sucks. I really loved the PC version and was kinda glad that more people were going to be able to play it thanks to the 360 port. Sadly I've only heard it mentioned a few times, so I get the feeling it was overlooked. Honestly the only problem I had with the game was that it was a bit too linear.

But man, fighting spiders and using rope arrows to explore obscure places really reminded me how awesome a new Thief game would be.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I haven't played much of it but I'm pretty sure Stronghold and Stronghold 2 are entirely about sieging castles.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Danger Mahoney posted:

So are there any PC multiplayer games with active communities that are actually easy to get into? Right now I'm trying to play Team Fortress 2

I can't think of anything easier to get into than Team Fortress 2. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but my recommendation is to keep at it. If you want more detailed tips, don't be afraid to ask in our Team Fortress 2 thread.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seems like no matter what game it is, you'll find somebody complaining about the voice acting. The Witcher is an amazing game, and you are seriously nitpicking if you're complaining about the voice acting and animations. Though I actually liked the combat. I'd say a little bit of interaction in the combat is better than just clicking on an enemy and watching your character attack by himself (ala KOTOR 1+2, Neverwinter Nights 1+2, etc)

Delrith Ur posted:

And speaking of laughable.

What's supposed to be laughable about this video? The obviously placeholder dialogue I'm guessing? Looks pretty awesome to me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I can't believe you just linked that. I'm just going to bow out of this argument, I concede to you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't forget about Mythos. It just came out and is a free-to-play Diablo MMO essentially. Haven't put enough time into it to decide how good it is though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Loving Life Partner posted:

I need a new game to play.

Ideally:
A game like Freelancer that isn't Freelancer. I played the living gently caress out of Freelancer, because it's so god damned great, so yeah.

Check out Tachyon: The Fringe, a very good linear space-sim with two unique branching storylines. Best part is, it stars motherfuckin' Bruce Campbell.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brace posted:

How long is AC:B, or I should say, what's the replayability? Is there any reason to keep playing it or is it just finish story mode, done game.

I'd say the story mode is about 15-20 hours, the game feels pretty drat long. Not to mention multiplayer is amazing. I really can't wait to see where they go with it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Ninth Layer posted:

What's the best Dragonball Z fighting game for the PS2? I feel like a nostalgia trip.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 easily. So much time spent on that game, and I don't like fighting games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Palpek posted:

From the even more obscure options I'd say GTA 4 FPS mod and Mafia 2 FPS mod are both very good and add to those games a whole new layer of fun. I read somewhere that the GTA mod cought even the attention of Rockstar and they were considering implementing it in the next GTA - who knows - but it certainly speaks about the quality of the mod - just look at this video.

There's one for Just Cause 2 as well. Works pretty drat well. It's amazing how the shift in perspective totally changes the tone of the game for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SmokeyXIII posted:

Any ideas?

Most people can get into the Worms games. I haven't played any recently so I can't really say which is the best one to get. Can someone chime in on this?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tehsid posted:

I'm after a PC pirate (coop if we can) game. All of the ones I can find are rubbish, or older then jesus. East India Company looks alright, but its a strategy game more then action, and I'd rather action.

We're about to try Buccaneer out, but I don't hold high hopes for it. If anybody knows any better ones, that would be great.

Cheers in advance.

Check out Pirates of the Caribbean with this. This game has almost nothing to do with the movie, it just has the same name. It's actually the sequel to Sea Dogs, another pirate game. It's a pretty old game, but it looks like this:

Rather obscure I suppose, but well worth a look.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 18, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gos_jim posted:

My friends and I get together regularly to play scary games, and we just finished Silent Hill 2 so we're looking for a new game to play. We have pretty much every console available to us as well as a PC which we've used in the past for horror adventure games.

Have you played Call of Cthulhu? It's a bit clunky but I think if you enjoyed Scratches you would definitely be able to look past its flaws.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 3, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The free weekend may have helped, but after playing Brink a couple of hours I decided to give it a pass, even at half price.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thunder Chief posted:

What are some good games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie for the 360? I am trying to get my wife a bit more into gaming, she loves the old 3rd Person Platform games she played when she was younger. I've heard Kameo and Beyond Good and Evil are games to check out. Besides those two I am at a loss, it isn't a genre I am very familiar with.

Depending on her humor, the Conker 64 remake on the original Xbox scales extremely well on the 360.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Anatharon posted:

I've wanted to play an RPG as of late. I don't play RPGs much, and I don't really want something DARK AND GRITTY like Dragon Age supposedly is. I'd be more interested in something like Neverwinter Nights, or a JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy. Any suggestions? No specific platform, and it doesn't need to be really recent. (Though prferably not something really hard to find.)

If you enjoyed the original Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign, you will love Dragon Age. It's basically Neverwinter Nights 3 in everything except setting.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm genuinely curious as to why. I was always confused as to why people always compared Dragon Age to Baldur's Gate because the gameplay, dialogue, party systems, and most of the combat was just an improved version of Neverwinter Nights 2. I'm one of the people that actually liked the original Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign and didn't see the big deal with Mask of the Betrayer, for the record. I liked it, of course, but didn't feel it was significantly better than the OC. I never actually finished it because my non min/maxed character was so godly that the game stopped being fun because it was too easy.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 29, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orzo posted:

If you appreciate great atmosphere in a game and like the Metroid formula (exploration, gathering new items to access areas you couldn't before) it's almost a guaranteed win.

Just chiming in to say that I didn't really enjoy the 2D Metroids (or Castlevania for that matter) but the Metroid Prime games are awesome. The fact that its 3 games in one is just great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Manos del Sino posted:

Pick a roguelike, any roguelike. I personally recommend Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I took this recommendation and have been hopelessly addicted for the past couple of days. This is my first roguelike experience really. The game is free and has a tutorial, I'd advise people to check it out. Kinda sad that you can't do the online mode with tiles, that ASCII poo poo is just too much for me. Kinda interested in Dungeon's of Dredmor, where do I go from here as far as tile-based roguelikes go?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

nrook posted:

You can, kind of. I never play tiles online, so I wouldn't know, but from what I understand webtiles is basically the same as regular tiles, only a little worse (and with some lag).

I was sold until I saw the lack of a graphical inventory.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

rizuhbull posted:

Really? I have a high tolerance for bad games as long as they fulfill that niche crave I have. Thanks, I'll take a look at 'em.

He's talking about the Deadliest Warrior games. I haven't actually played them but from what I hear they're actually pretty fun, considering their source material. People have compared it to Bushido Blade.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've never played any Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank games. I know that guy says just play the first Jak and Daxter. What's up with Ratchet and Clank? Which are the 'good' ones?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like the best entrance into roguelikes would be the excellent Dungeons of Dredmor. It's a loose recommendation, God Mode, but I feel that if you liked those other games you'd probably enjoy Dredmor.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

But Not Tonight posted:

I need a splitscreen driving game in the vein of burnout or split/second for the PC. I'd prefer something fairly recent, the last five years or so, but if it's an older good one, I'm not averse to it.

As far as I know, Split/Second is the most recent splitscreen racing game on PC. I am unaware of any others

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

GrunderGretch posted:

I gave up on the pcx2 thing, i was hoping someone knew of a good rpg like that for pc.

I haven't personally played it but I've heard people compare Dungeon Seige 3 to Champions of Norrath.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brace posted:

I'm looking for something... war based, I guess? Probably an RTS, but definitely not Company of Heroes, I have it and don't really like how the game plays. Maybe something cold war or WW2 based, with a focus on tank combat or something similar, but it could be modern for all I care.

Have you played World in Conflict? It's a pretty sweet RTS where you don't build bases and just make units. Lots of explosions!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Contest Winner posted:

I've just moved and I finally have an internet connection worth a drat again. So, I am looking for both an FPS and an RTS to play multiplayer. The catch is that I am tired of Starcraft 2 and Battlfield 3/Team Fortress 2, and I don't care for Call of Duty. PC or console, whatever works.

Preferably with a decent sized community, since I will likely be keeping somewhat odd hours some days it is nice to be able to roll into a random match whenever. I am also not opposed to losing or having somewhat of a learning curve, though if it is really steep it might keep me out.

Try and get into the closed beta of Tribes: Ascend. I started playing yesterday, sort of craving the same thing as you, and I must say it is unique enough to satisfy the itch. It's a little rough around the edges for sure, but its free and I already know I'm going to be playing for a while. Evidently keys aren't that hard to come by but I guess I'm too new to have one. Check this thread and just ask for one.

It's a little rough around the edges for sure, but its free so I would try it out. Other rough around the edges but drat fun free multiplayer FPS/TPS games that I only discovered this month include APB Reloaded and Global Agenda although I suspect goons playing Global Agenda are now all playing Tribes, and for good reason. I don't think I could go back to that game's jetpack after Tribes.

edit: Oh poo poo I do actually have two beta keys on my account already, if for some reason you don't get a response in the thread I got you covered.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 16, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Contest Winner posted:

Thanks for the advice and the offer, I am going to give it a shot. I hadn't heard about the new Tribes, I loved the old one. Lucky me, soon as I went to that thread a key giveaway had started on some site, so score.

Now I just need to find an RTS, or I might just try and play Dawn of War 2 online finally.

Well since I'm on a roll, the most recent strategy game I've enjoyed is Total War: Shogun 2, and I say that as a person that couldn't quite click with Total War games (I haven't played any since Medieval 2). I always thought the meat of the game was the campaign, but I'm starting to think it's the multiplayer.

You've probably already played Company of Heroes if you're an RTS fan, but as far as traditional RTS games the genre is kinda dry. That Men at War game looks pretty loving sweet, how often does the destructibility come into play? Or is it something like the original Red Faction where they promise destructive freedom but then limit you severely.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 16, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tre Past Cool! posted:

Speaking of Zelda, is there a Zelda-like game that's all, or mostly, one big dungeon and no overworld? I know Phantom Hourglass had a big hub dungeon but there were other islands/dungeons and I didn't like the timer. I know The Binding of Isaac is similar, but I don't like that it's randomly generated because it takes away from the puzzle solving. I want something with carefully planned puzzles and non-linear progression, sort of like a Metroidvania but with a top-down view instead of side-scrolling.

The best game I've played that gives a feeling of one big dungeon is King's Field. It is however in first person. There are puzzles in the game but not really like what you'd find in Zelda. The game is definitely non-linear because at the end it shows you a video montage of all the spells in the game and I hadn't even heard of most of them. Puzzles are more of a thing in King's Field 2 but instead of one dungeon you're in an 'overworld' of sorts, though its kind of a linear progression that makes it feel less like an overworld. I never beat 2 so I'm not sure how linear it actually is, but since it improves on 1 in most aspects I imagine its fairly non-linear as well.

I tried to find some decent footage of it on youtube but I gave up after about 10 minutes.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 1, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I didn't want to show early parts of the game because part of the appeal of the game is just how crazy the monsters get. I went through the entire game pretty much thinking "What the gently caress is that thing!?" to nearly every new enemy I encountered. There were some terrific original designs. I guess it boils down to how hard you like your games to be. King's Field never really tells you what's up, but if you like to explore in games you are in for a treat because there are so many goddamn secrets. And the ending is a total :psyduck:, if someone could please explain what the gently caress was going on in the last level I would love to know.

For what its worth, I only played an hour or two of Demon's Souls and honestly I don't see how the games are in any way similar.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 1, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Leper Residue posted:

I'd like an RTS that's more in the style of Warcraft 2 with large armies clashing at each other and less like Warcraft 3 with small squads with heroes playing a very prominent role. Preferably somewhat modern and not Starcraft. Multiplayer is nice, but rather inconsequential. I've given the Total War series a try, but they really didn't do it for me.

A fun game that a lot of people overlooked was Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2. Instead of single units you create armies at a time, and can lead to some pretty sweet battles. Oddly enough I played it on Xbox 360 before PC. Here's a random youtube video of some guy fightin' stuff. There actually are heroes that you can level up but they aren't as necessary as in WC3. Also you can make your own hero and pick your own powers, so that's neat too.

I always played Mordor so I would get the trolls. They're giant motherfuckers with giantass clubs that murder the poo poo out of weaker armies. The club wasn't just for show, if it swings and a unit is caught in the swing, they go flying; it's not just some canned animation like most RTS games. Mordor also gets these dragon things that I can't remember the name of that actually swoop down and pick up units off the ground and toss them through the air. I thought it was neat at the time.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 8, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Contest Winner posted:

Battle for Middle Earth 2 is awesome, and there is a big fan-patch for it and I think people still play it multiplayer. Really cool game overall. I wish EA would sell it on Origin or something since my copy is lost, but I guess they make more money by having it not available at all.

I should probably mention that you don't even have to be a Lord of the Rings nerd to enjoy the game. I actually sat down and watched the movie trilogy because I played the game, not the other way around.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zoe posted:

Are their any games out there besides Oblivion and Red Dead Redemption where you can ride really fast on a horse? Skyrim doesn't count, the Skyrim horse sucks.

Assassin's Creed games, Shadow of the Collossus, and Mount and Blade all have pretty good horsin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I played Lost in Blue, Lost in Blue 2, UnRealWorld and I've modded Skyrim extensively to be about survival, but my itch still isn't scratched. Anyone have survival games that involve managing food, warmth, shelter?

There's no way that you haven't tried it yet, but just in case I'd recommend a heavily modded Minecraft. I haven't played Minecraft in months and months so I'm not sure what's good now.