Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want a coffee break game. Each session is 5-10 minutes, easy in/out. I'm hoping for tactical turn-based stuff, or card games, or something fiddly - no reflex based games! I already have Vampire Survivors (and that's a 20-30 minute game anyways)

Is there anything like that? Especially anything new?

not on steam, but slice & dice, pc or mobile, is pretty great for this. a full playthrough probably takes like an hour (faster once you get good) but each individual fight/stage is pretty snappy, it's turn-based, and you can pick up and put it down easily.

also it's goon made!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I'm trying to scratch a Terraria/Minecraft/other open world sandboxy games of that sort itch. Something where I'm free to just gently caress about and explore. Preferably single player because I hate dealing with toxic trash communities that multiplayer games tend to create.

it's not amazing or groundbreaking or anything, but i've been having some fun with Keplerth. It kinda feels a lot like like Terraria but with Rimworld's graphics/POV?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

chainchompz posted:

There's a few games I'm looking forward to coming out right about now, (and tears of the kingdom is sold out by me or that'd be it for now,) but what sci fi explorer games are out there? I'm looking for something where you've got a ship and that's sort of your base of operations and you're either alone or have a crew and the universe just sort of generates around you as you go. Ship/crew customisation and leveling is a must. Mile wide and puddle deep is ok.

if you're okay with roguelikes, i've enjoyed picking up Transcendence off-and-on over the course of basically forever now. (You can get the full game for free on their website, the Steam release just comes with some DLCs bundled in as well.) No leveling up, but all ships are fully customizable and upgrade-able.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Golden Krone Hotel is a very approachable roguelike designed around being a vampire. Avoid light, switch between human and vampire forms, and use your powers and tactics to get to the top of the tower and slay the vampire prince. It's really good!!!

Dungeonmans is goon-made, not too complicated, and has cool graphics and a lighthearted sense of humor. It can still be pretty punishing, but I think it would be a solid introduction to roguelikes for someone who hadn't played many before.

DoomRL is exactly what it says on the tin -- Doom as a roguelike. Jupiter Hell is the spiritual successor but honestly I still like the original way better.

Brogue is stripped-down and minimalist, but in (imo) a good way. No classes, just get dropped straight into the dungeon and make do with what you find. Gorgeous ascii art too.

Qud also rules, and DCSS is fine, my personal qualms with it aside.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PowerWash Simulator and Dorfromantik, two of my favorite "do a task but not using too many brain cells about it" games

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

Is there an Android phone games thread anywhere?

there's an entire subforum for mobile games

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

xiw posted:

Looking for some more ideas for lan gaming over xmas. For context, we'll have 5-10 people, a range of machines, a big range of gaming experience. In the past anything competitive hasn't really worked, co-op generally good, drop-in drop-out helps, cheap / gamepass helps.

in the past this group has enjoyed:
terraria, killing floor, mindustry, factorio, valheim, grounded (limit of 4 was annoying), AI War, tf2 bots, warframe, artemis, bf1942

stuff that we bounced off / didn't get enjoyed much:
lfd2, darktide, vermintide

Currently considering:
lethal company (i see there's a mod to play with more than 4), v rising, empty episilon, worms.

conan exiles or 7 days to die, if y'all are down for more survival stuff

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thread, throw me some games that are:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar
* Not EA or Ubisoft (i.e. doesn't require me to install a platform other than Steam/GOG to play)

For reference, I absolutely loved the Mercenaries games from almost 20 years ago. Just give me a game where I can cruise around, blow some poo poo up, run missions or ignore them if I feel like ignoring them, harming bystanders is discouraged but the game isn't going to stop you from doing so. Besides GTA, obviously.

No game is too obvious. I haven't really touched this genre since Mercenaries besides GTA. And decades-old games are fine with me. What's good?

Streets of Rogue isn't quite open world, but it is definitely mayhem

(the sequel is going to be open world and might be worth keeping an eye on)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

something like animal crossing maybe? it's not really optimizable and there is no failure state, just nice friends to give gifts to and stuff to collect

the older ones emulate fine if that's an option/not having a switch is a thing

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LISA The Painful is on sale and it's an all-timer for sure

Your Turn To Die is an interesting lil' danganronpa-like (not an RPG at all really, but it was made in RPG Maker MV apprently?) and it isn't finished yet, but it's pretty solid imo if you're into that genre at all

also it's kind of a small and silly game, but i found The World Is Your Weapon to be a fun lil' romp

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what are some games where you can do stealth archer-type shenanigans that aren't Elder Scrolls/Bethesda?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

thanks for all the recommendations, all! :) I think I even have a couple of these from who knows where.

Is Enderal a pain to install? I've done a lot of modded Skyrim but somehow missed giving it a try.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oh dang that rules, thanks!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

those are both roguelikes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

does 428 shibuya scramble count? it's a visual novel and not FMV, but it uses real photography for the graphics. also it rules.

Not for Broadcast is an FMV game where you play as the guy running the nightly news; gameplay includes choosing camera angles, beeping swears and playing commercials. extremely British satire

Telling Lies and Her Story , both by sam barlow, are pretty divisive but they go here. both games have a similar conceit of watching recorded footage, not necessarily in sequential order, searching through clips in a database with search terms, and trying to puzzle out the story for yourself.