Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

what zombie games am I missing? Must be on steam or uplay (not touching epic). any genres are welcome. I just want zombies.

I'm not a huge fan of any of these, but they are ok:

Killing Floor 1-2
Final Station
Deadbolt
Nation Red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Killing Floor seems to be like Left 4 Dead in that it's almost multiplayer or co-op required? So I've been avoiding them both.

Yeah, instead of going from A to B, you are fighting against X amount of waves + a boss. Not very fun as a solo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

iSurrender posted:

I've heard ok things about Graveyard Keeper.

Graveyard Keeper is decent, but has some questionable content (in one story mission you sell beer and burgers while "witches" are burned alive). It's weird because most of the game is quite good-natured, despite the macabre setting.

The game is also pretty cryptic in some parts, if you don't use guides.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hughmoris posted:

Could someone recommend a PC game for my 65 year old family member? She just started gaming recently. I'm pretty sure she has maxed out Stardew Valley. She's having a lot of fun in World of Warcraft as well (although running around in-doors will make her dizzy and she is a clicker).

Is there a simple version of things like City Skylines or Zoo Tycoon? Or another game similar to Stardew Valley? I think too many options in an building/resource game would be hard for her.

Steam has Doraemon Story of the Seasons which is by Harvest Moon guys and therefore pretty much Stardew Valley.

Pretty pricey though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/965230/DORAEMON__STORY_OF_SEASONS/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBMQtMoNF6Y&t=32s

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Guacamelee (both) are pretty fun and quite merciful, since only one player needs to survive the platforming parts and others can join the beat em ups.

Broforce is simple stupid fun as well.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

tildes posted:

I’m looking for a game like freelancer or mount and blade. Something where you putter around a mostly open world doing economic/military stuff and getting stronger. Controlling one unit is probably preferable, but down for squad ones as well. 2D vs 3D doesn’t really matter to me. Any suggestions would be great!

Things I’ve tried and dumped so far:
Freemen (the mount and blade with guns clone)
Starcom: Nexus

E: endless sky seems close, but a bit content lite maybe?

E2: Starsector is another good example of what I’m trying to describe here, though I’ve played that a bunch already.

Some oldies:
Space Rangers
Sid Meier's Pirates! (kind of)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Recettear is a fun game, but the market prices aren't really simulated (other than "random item x is today hot/cold" and "happy customers are willing to spend more").

Offworld Trading Company has real dynamic prices with every resource becoming cheaper/more expensive based on the supply. It's a bit boring as a single player though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Octolady posted:

I'm really in the mood to play a fantasy shop simulator.

I've played Recettear and Weapon Shop de Omasse and really loved them

Doesn't need to be totally like them per se but that sort of vibe is what I'm craving!

Moonlighter isn't spectacularly good, but it has some shop stuff and is part of a bundle right now.
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/humble-indie-bundle-21?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_5

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Looking for something a bit more strategic as a counterpoint. I burned through Chimera Squad and it awakened a strategy itch. I tried getting into Disgaea to no avail. Really loved FFT and Tactics Ogre in the past. Really anything where you get to pick abilities and grow your units into demi-gods.

Fell Seal?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/699170/Fell_Seal_Arbiters_Mark/

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm a sucker for shooters/action games with a decent story, characters and lot's of flavour and humour, like Shadow Warrior, Blood Dragon, Call of Juarez:Gunslinger.

Can someone reccomend me similar games? My pc is not top of the line though, so moderate spec requirements.

Binary Domain, everything by Remedy.

Non-shooter action games: Yakuza, Metal Gear Rising etc.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

what the entire gently caress

The music rights expired a year ago.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ninjewtsu posted:

looking for a really good pick up/put down game. something somewhat challenging but not super punishing when i wanna just game for like 30 minutes and am filled with temporary, impulsive energy. steam preferred, consoles a no go

One Finger Death Punch (2)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Manager Hoyden posted:

What are the best single-player collectible card games out there today? Not run-based deck-builders like Slay the Spire or Monster Train (although those are really good).

I'm thinking more like the old Magic 2012/2015 games where you actually build decks over time to keep and use in different situations.

I emphasize single player because I'm not super interested in getting my rear end stomped nine times out of ten by children with dad's credit card number.

I remember Card City Nights being kind of fun (and sometimes annoyingly rng dependent)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/271820/Card_City_Nights/

There's a sequel, but I haven't played it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/241300/Card_City_Nights_2/

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ulio posted:

Any games where you start at the bottom or top of a place and you have to make your way through the opposite way? If anyone played Ys Origins it's like that, you start at a bottom of a demonic tower and have to go through every floor till the top to finish the game.

The Deadly Tower of Monsters is maybe the best example of that concept I've seen. The game area is a huge handcrafted tower that you keep climbing up for ~four hours. All areas are connected and it takes about two minutes to freefall from the top to the ground level.

The gameplay is... passable. Good enough, but nothing special. The writing tries to be funny, but at least it's not as bad as most "comedy" games.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Galick posted:

So I have an odd itch: I want sort of a management sim where you control or direct minions to gather resources, craft things out of the resources, sell or use those things, and continue expanding. Factorio didn't hit the itch for me due to the logistics robots coming so late, and Graveyard Keeper makes the zombies too fiddly to use. I could use modded Minecraft I guess, but is there a game dedicated to specifically minions doing my work?

Autonauts is in this month's Humble Choice.

Based on my first few hours with it, it's pretty fun, but the UI isn't as good as it should be.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 13, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

(*Verdant Skies not pictured due to owning it on steam)

What am I missing? I want to make sure I know of all of the Stardew-likes on steam. At least the good ones!

Doraemon Story of Seasons
https://store.steampowered.com/app/965230/DORAEMON__STORY_OF_SEASONS/

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Kind of a broad ask, but I'm looking for games that feel like the world exists with or without the player and you're not supposed to be there. It's a hard feeling to describe but I guess what I'm getting at is the game feels like it is about the world itself and the player is just an unwelcome intruder.

Some good examples would be most of Subnautica, the first part of The Forest, some areas of the Souls series like Ash Lake and Untended Graves, and maybe Outer Wilds.

Consortium. I only played for an hour, because it crashed, but you are thrown in the middle of a strange crisis situation and can either lie that you know what you are doing, or tell everyone that you are somehow bodyswapped in to this character you are now controlling. Seemed pretty cool, I should try again.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Hey, all, I'm in the mood for a point-and-click adventure game (it doesn't literally have to be point-and-click).

Also, if possible I'd rather it be more on the funny side.

Funny but very short (less than 1 hour) and easy:
Frog Detective 1-2

Not very comedic, but decent games:
Blackwell series
Pretty much anything else published by Wadjet Eye
Kathy Rain
Whispers of a Machine

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What are the best cheap (preferably less than $10) Switch games that aren't available on Steam?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Chamale posted:

Are there any open-world games where the player's actions have a permanent impact on the map? Other than Minecraft, Death Stranding, and Red Faction Guerilla. Would Just Cause fit the bill?

Just Causes are quite fun. Your impact on the map is pretty minor (destroyed target buildings stay down), but that's true for Red Faction as well (e. or did all Red Faction buildings respawn? At least the bridges do, right?)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Console RPG :smug:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nice thing about wrestling games is that you can then make those 20 werewolf hunters fight each other in ai control.

In addition to Fire Pro, there's WWE games which are pretty bad as games, but their character creators are really nice (ignore Battlegrounds).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
All old racing games are turn-based if you play with an emulator and frame advance. :c00l:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Train Station Renovation was ok.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Play posted:

I'd like to ask people to recommend 2D platforming/action/etc. games, preferably with pixel graphics, and ones that I've never heard of, but how would you all know what I've heard of? And I've heard of quite a bit I think but the itch is never fully scratched. Basically the more obscure the better and it must be on PC, if any fool wants to take on the challenge.

I liked Wildfire quite a lot. It's pretty fast paced stealth platformer with decent amount of content.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

sad question posted:

What are some recent good platforming games for PC? The last one I got into was Rayman Legends. I'm eyeing Monster Boy since it's on sale on steam and looks p good. Did Yooka Laylee turn out decent?

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (2D platformer, NOT the kickstarter game) is really good. I usually don't like platforming games all that much, but that one was genuinely enjoyable. The last level is pretty huge jump in difficulty, but at least they added checkpoints.

Trine 4 was also nice. Probably the best of the series (playing the older games is not required).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tagra posted:

In the same vein, is there anything other than Dishonored that meets the criteria for a modern "Thief-like"? Like not stealth combat, just stealth exploration and sneaky sneaky stealy steals.

My favourite parts of the thief games were exploring houses, dodging guards, and finding shiny things. When it shifts to killing zombies it all goes downhill.

[edit] I do have "Thief Simulator" but I have the VR version and god drat the controls are janky as poo poo lol. It actually is pretty close to what I'm looking for though...

I played Styx: Master of Shadows earlier this year and it was ok. Combat against more than one opponent is almost certain death. The sequel appears to be an improvement, but I haven't played that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
PC-game recommendations for 8 & 11 year-old nieces? Preferably available on GOG.

Stardew Valley was well-liked and they also have Sims.

I'm leaning towards Slime Rancher (which I haven't played).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is Outrun 2006 even available anywhere? (outside physical copies)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Guacamelee 1 & 2 are on switch. They're real fun and they support couch co-op. There is a lot of platforming in between the beating up monsters though and some of it gets pretty tricky.

I don't remember which I played in co-op (it works probably same in both), but only one player has to survive and others can fly around as a ghost and respawn at will, so even the tricky parts aren't too bad with kids.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Has anyone done a decent GTA1-2 style game? Retro City Rampage appeared to be something like that, but had pretty bad driving mechanics IIRC.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, it's a neat game, but not really what I'm looking for.

-Large open world
-Fast, satisfying driving
-Ability to leave the car (and hopefully decent mechanics for non-car gameplay)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Szarrukin posted:

Looking for an immersive games that will let me create my own story rather than following an existing one, like Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Stellaris, Aurora 4x or Crusader Kings. Also tried Kenshi, but it's too hard for me. Preferably single player, so no Barotrauma and SS 13.

MDickie's Wrestling Empire

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

No Dignity posted:

Are there any high quality classical platformers I could pick up in the Steam Sale? Not a metroidvania, not an extreme suffering & systems mastery game, not storygame just using platforming as its medium or a puzzle platformer, just like a Mario style game with good running and jumping and enough difficulty to stimulating?

I really liked Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (difficulty jumps wildly at the titular final level, but otherwise it's reasonably chill)

Sonic Generations is a solid Sonic game (50% 2d levels)

Raymans are pretty decent

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Superliminal and Viewfinder might be slightly in the same ballpark.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FutureCop posted:

Anyone have recommendations for cool and big FPS adventures like Half-Life 1 or 2? Was recently watching Woolie play Half-Life 2 and realized I haven't played something like that in awhile: lately when it comes to FPS games it's been a long line of more xtreme boomer shooters like Turbo Overkill and while I love those, there's something about the big ol' adventure of Half-Life with set-pieces, puzzles, exploration, and good shooting that appeals to me. I feel like I've already played most of the likely suggestions of the Metro series, FEAR 1+2, Prey, Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood, and so on, but maybe I'm missing something obvious, or there are some good unknown ones.

Titanfall 2 is the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
While I don't necessarily agree all design choices with XCOM Chimera Squad, it's neat to have an XCOM game where you can focus only on the tactical battles and the home base strategy doesn't matter all that much (you have choices, but they can't really ruin your campaign). It's also different enough to make it worth playing even if it's not as good as the main series.