Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scott14277
Dec 24, 2008

Such grace...
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but figured it wasn't worth making a new one...
I LOVED the Myst games, especially Riven and Revelation, but have never again seen anything on par with them since. I am specifically looking for a puzzle game driven my non-traditional and often mechanical puzzles.
I have seen plenty of games use your standard fare puzzles such as "Simon" and "Lights Out." Some even using tile-matching. Myst puzzles were always much less obvious in the workings. Half of solving the puzzle was trying to figure out what the puzzle was.
I was also a huge fan of the exquisite graphics and animation, and in the case of Revelation, the magnificent story line. These are optional, though.
Also, any of the games I have tried that are any good I have been able to solve in a single evening. I need something that I will be bashing my head against for weeks.
Hmmm... I hope I gave enough info there, and not so much that I started to ramble. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott14277
Dec 24, 2008

Such grace...

doctor iono posted:

I guess I'm alternating between obscure and general requests here.

What are some games where you start off with nothing, and you truly have to figure out everything for yourself - not just the game mechanics, but I mean the setting, how the world works, etc.

I always loved that about the Myst series - you had to do some serious, large-scale thinking and really figure out the world around you, instead of just solving lame puzzles.

:( Is there even anything like this?
I second (or third?) this request, again.
I've tried a few clones, but none have been able to go beyond rudimentary puzzles, and even then, they end up explaining the puzzle.
Let me see if I can explain better. In most of these games, the goal of each puzzle is to find the solution to it, usually some sort of color sequence or matching game. In the Myst puzzles, you don't even know what the puzzle is. You don't know what the category is, you don't know the solution. The tools to find the solution are also presented (so it's not a Guide Please), but they are not blatantly labeled "Solution to X". It is often presented as, say, a bit of research in the form of a table of values.
Let me know if we are thinking the same thing, Doc Iono