Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

K8.0 posted:

Looking for games that involve physics-based traversal. For example, Getting Over It or Trials would count, although I'm looking for something focused less on challenge and more on fun fuckery.

i haven't played it but it sounds like human fall flat might be up your alley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's Tetris Effect? It's got one of my favourite trailers ever, and it looks like a super really polished Tetris. Just wondering about the longevity and variety of game modes, mostly, and if it has any mode similar to TGM. It's a bit expensive for me so I'm being a bit cautious - for reference, its current sale price costs about 3.5 times more than Dishonored is right now (though that may be a testament to how cheap Dishonored is on sale right now, another game I'm considering).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So during work break I was going through the forums and I saw someone mention that there's a stickman (I think?) fighting game that's free and is also picking up steam in the tournament scene.

The thing is, I don't remember which topic it was from so I can't check it myself. Was it the free games (that used to be not free) thread? The other free games (that has always been free) thread? Was it this thread? Was it one of the General threads? The fighting game thread? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Or maybe I'm looking at it and my eyes are glazing over it somehow?I just wanted to learn a new fighting game and it's driving me nuts! Did I imagine it somehow?

Turns out I remembered the wrong keyword! It wasn't stickman, it was MS Paint! And I found it in Free Games Always Free thread!

Doctor Goat posted:

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize why there was confusion there. Whoops!

Here's another game! Ultra Fight da Kyanta 2 is a chaotic, fast paced, MS Paint level fighting game with a surprising number of fun gimmicks. It's starting to get some traction at fighting game tournaments!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 13, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello. I quit Hearthstone at the end of last year, and have that collectible card game itch again. Is there one based on single player? I don't want to get sucked into this daily hour or two grind of getting currency everyday, I just want like a whole complete experience, preferably with satisfying animations/oomph like Hearthstone does.

Slay the Spire is great and it's my most played game on Steam ever I believe, but it's not quite the same thing. I want to collect and expand my deck. I think there are old games like Duel Masters and Snk vs Capcom something something, which ones are the standouts? Modern games are fine too, I just don't know of any. Besides Slay the Spire. Which is amazing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

the main antagonist has great lines like COULD'VE GONE PRO and NANO MACHINES SON it is the best

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any recommendations for "quick game for break" on PC? The kind that fires up quickly, you can spend like 5 to 15 minutes doing one thing, and then done.

For me these used to be Hearthstone, then I quit, and I replaced it with online Chess, and as I am coming to learn, neither are any good at the chill part.

I used to have the Konami Picross on phone but that's finally done earlier this year too. I have Shadowhand, its chillness ranges from "This is fun and relaxing" to "MY GOD DOn'T BE SUCH A DICK WITH THE RANDOMNESS"

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have almost all those games already but they're great suggestions because why look for a new game when I can just play ones I already own? They're exactly in line with what I want! The Streets of Rage 4 one in particular is good since after its first couple of weeks it became stressful because I kept going for and then defending a speedrun world record I had for a while (which I have since dropped). Then I spent some time learning how to spedrun Mania and got a big roadblock in stage 6. Just because I made it stressful doesn't mean it inherently has to be.

StoryTime posted:

Chess but more chill says Into the Breach for me. Each mission is a 4-5 turn Mechs vs. Giant Insects fight, and you can save&quit mid mission at any time just by closing the window. One full campaign takes about an hour and a half when you're familiar with the game, and there's plenty of stuff to unlock to keep things interesting.

Fml this is an obvious one that I've completely forgotten about. Well, I remembered, I just forgot I could stop mid-campaign ala StS, Monster Train, Dicey Dungeons etc. Every time I wanted to play I was like "Oh but a run is like an hour or so..."

Knightmare posted:

Stardew or Littlewood are decent for games that have start and end points with the day/night cycle, each day not lasting that long.
How's Littlewood? It's the only one of the suggestions I don't already own and it looks like Even More Chill Stardew. Which is fine by me, as I drop off Stardew every few hours or so

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I had completely forgotten about the Tales series, looks like they're impossible to buy nowadays.

I'll check the others out, I think I did play the Sam and Max but can't find in my Steam library.

Thanks!

To add one more recommendation, maybe 428 Shibuya Scramble? It's a visual novel where you jump between characters and between time to influence the outcome of the story. Maybe you get a bad ending at 12pm with Character 3. So you go back to 10am with Character 1 to try and influence what happens when they bump into each other at 11am.

It has a pretty silly, campy tone, so might be up your alley!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

yigh posted:

Please recommend me a game that makes grinding fun. I really liked the Disgaea games and some of the other NIS games (like Phantom Brave). The random loot aspect of Grim Dawn, Diablo, Last Epoch is also appreciated.

I thought I'd like Path of Exile, but I ended up feeling my endgame enjoyment being bottlenecked by the need to farm rare materials and equips with too-low of a drop rate (since the drop rates were balanced for the multiplayer economy.. I guess).

I'm hearing Torchlight 3 and Wolcen ended up being not very good.

If you want a Diablo-like that's very generous, try Chronicon!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

So long as you’re ok with isometric view, Open Rollercoaster 2 is pretty amazing. You need the original but it’s cheap on gog. OpenRCT2 adds a ton of building blocks and assets, modern resolution support and a bunch of hacks to do stuff that wasn’t possible in the originals. It scratched the same itch I had for building in Starbound.

There’s also somehow a thriving community still making stuff for it which is nice for getting ideas and tutorials. Here’s a neat example of what’s possible now:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOxNB--XG0g&t=201s

Is there a good "beginner's guide" for this game? I bought it for cheap sometime last year but I was just kind of...clicking stuff and I never managed to build any sustainable parks. Didn't grow up on it, so have no experience to go by.

I tried watching some tutorials but the ones I found are kind of "hardcore fan" territory and they immediately started terraforming and making big changes and zooming by the menus pretty quick and I couldn't keep up.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Valkyrie Profile.

Did...did you mean...Valkyria Chronicles?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

you have the excellent tetr.io for tetris (+ battle royale mode) and you can also play many board games like codenames online!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

High chance you've already played it, but just in case: Valkyrie Profile (PS1/PSP) has a pretty unique battle system where each face button corresponds to a character, and you're incentivised to create fun, long, intricate combos. Norse myth setting, where you play as a Valkyrie gathering einherjar into your party...so that you can send them up to Valhalla (where you lose your recruited character, including items, exp, etc). Dungeon navigation is like a 2D platformer, with an attack that initiates battle that can also hit/break certain objects, and an ice projectile mechanic where you can step on them, break them, make them bigger, or make them so big they explode into dust, which is the equivalent of a slowly vanishing platform. It can get pretty complex so you might want to look up a guide for certain dungeons. Also has 3 distinct endings, with the B ending being easy to get, the C ending being a bad ending that you really have to go out of your way for, and an A ending that you can stumble upon but it's unlikely; best to bust out a guide again.

If you do play it, I recommend playing Hard Mode at it is unintuitively the easiest difficulty, because while enemies are tougher and dungeons are at their most complex, you also gain access to some really busted skills, while lower difficulties have easier encounters but also just straight up omits a number of skills. If you find the enemy is broken, your job is to set yourself up in a way to get brokener.

Also the recruitment stories can be pretty emotional and/or gut-wrenching.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are there any good card battlers with single player modes? I finally got off the Marvel Snap train (decided it took wayyy to much of my time) and I thought I really like the experience, but just want it "complete" in a single player campaign/set of challenges, if that makes sense. Doesn't have to be purely single player, but it should be beefy.

Bonus points if matches are relatively snappy. Off the top of my head I assume there's probably a Yu Gi Oh variant or a Magic variant that does this, but I'm not familiar with the franchises so not sure which one(s) have good solo play, and also which can onboard me. Also open to other games/series

I guess to be clear, I want that one on one with another guy who made a deck from the same collection feeling, and not like, say, Slay the Spire (which I am still playing and love).

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 19, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i3lueHorneT posted:

Any recent recs for Mirror's Edge like movement games?

Dying Light maybe if you're okay with zombies and horror? If you've been keeping up with EGS you might have it already too. There's also the sequel but that is less well reviewed, and if you're buying, also significantly more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Naramyth posted:

I’ve learned to enjoy deck builders again with Fights in Tight Spaces. It makes me want to play Card Hunter but not play Card Hunter. Is there a newer Card Hunter?

I'm not sure if there's a new Card Hunter, but Nitro Kid looks like a synthwave themed version of Fights with Tight Spaces. It was on a pretty deep Steam sale recently (but not right now) and sometimes appears in Fanatical bundles. I've got it wishlisted but haven't purchased. Might scratch the itch for you tho!