Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Naramyth posted:

My wife likes the Nancy Drew point and click puzzle games. What else is out there that’s that style of casual game without being weirdo anime stuff? Bonus points if there is a Mac version.

There's an entire genre of games like that. Perhaps browse Adventure Gamer's top 100? I have played a ton of point-and-clicks, but I have not played Nancy Drew, so I would have a hard time recommending a game precisely like that. I would assume that she might enjoy something along the lines of Gabriel Knight, Syberia, The Longest Journey, Broken Sword, Unavowed, Kathy Rain, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
This debate about Outer Wilds reminds me of the old arguments about adventure games with action elements or roguelikes vs roguelites. I only just started playing Outer Wilds yesterday, and I can understand comparing it to Myst. There are thematic and mechanical similarities that scratch a similar itch. That said, there are some significant gameplay differences that make it impossible to say, if you loved Myst, you'll love Outer Wilds. I think this particularly true for OG adventure gamers who traditional do not like dexterity based gameplay. Personally, I find the game extremely interesting, but probably won't play much more of it because I hate the space movement.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Magnetic North posted:

So, I skipped The Outer Wilds because first person games make me motion sick in my never-ending wretched senescence. However, I managed to play both The Return of the Obra Dinn (which is loving fantastic) and Superliminal (which is good). How 'action-y' is it? How fast is it?

For what it's worth, first person games sometimes make me motion sick (The Witness is the worst for me. I would love to play the game again, but can't bring myself to endure the pain again.), but have not had any issues with Outer Wilds in the time I've spent on it. That said, I don't like the movement, which is perhaps more difficult if you don't play a lot of first person games? Maybe try it and see if you like it?

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
My wife inherited my Deck when I upgraded, and she's been using it to play her game -- Megaquarium. A few nights back she asked me if she could play Minesweeper on it. For some reason I was doubtful that there were any implementations available on Steam. Turns out, there's loads. Anyway, in the off chance that anyone here has played any of them, are there any that come recommended?

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Party Boat posted:

Demoncrawl is a minesweeper roguelite that is, by far, my most played game on Steam. It might not be the best choice if you want a "pure" minesweeper experience but the various mechanics laid over it are what keep me playing it.

Wow, this person played for almost 300 hours and left a negative review.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/sensual-hermaphrodite/recommended/1141220/

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I'll never understand why it became so popular to poo poo on The Witness. The game is good. My only complaint with it is that it makes me nauseous, but even then the game is compelling enough that I pushed through the nausea to complete it, though it has prevented me from replaying.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

Jonathan Blow is a massive idiot

Which is irrelevant to the quality of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
What's a good, not too hard, rhythm game for the Deck? How hard is Spin Rhythm?