Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The guy who was after something scary and good.

Try thief 3. It's not really scary during the majority of the game, but it does have one level that scared me (and a bunch of other goons back when it was new and we had a megathread) to hell. I think the fact the majority of the game is not trying to be scary makes that part even better.

Also it's just a kickass game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

prismeclipser posted:

So I have a 360 and realized I only have four games for it which seems like a waste of a console.

I own Chromehounds, Saint's Row 2, Prototype, and Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. I was thinking of getting one of the Burnout games and Fable 2. I also dislike first person shooters. What would you guys would suggest?

Burnout Paradise is one of the strongest games on the platform. So I would recommend that. It's also, and I think without argument, the best supported game after release on the platform. They released an absolute ton of improvements with free DLC. Not fixes, but heaps of actual quality content.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 11, 2009

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I have a hankering for a helicopter game/sim, but I have no idea what there is out there.

To be honest, I don't know exactly what I want. Something realistic, yet exciting and mission-filled with plenty of variety. I'm not picky.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Palpek posted:

Apache: Air Assault is the most modern big action game with helicopters. VIDEO

Apart from BC2 already mentioned, ARMA 2 also features playable choppers with a very satisfying gameplay. VIDEO As well as Operation Flashpoint 2 VIDEO

Additionally at the end of this year Take On Helicopters is supposed to come out for PC which will be like Flight Simulator but for Helicopters. VIDEO

Take on helicopters looks great. I'll try it out.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Dunno if maybe DCS Black Shark would be your thing either.

I never heard of this, so I did some searching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_XNf4elAI

Holy poo poo! I am eager for a sim, but I think that may be too much sim for me. Though it sounds as though there are less realistic modes.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 15, 2011

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Captain Mediocre posted:

On the pirates side of things, both of you may wish to try out Port Royale 2. It's only 2 years old and currently £3 on steam.

More stuff

Port Royal 2 came out almost 7 years ago.

It is a fun game. I don't think it holds up graphically any longer, though.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Minorkos posted:

Are there any good "noiry" games out there? I recently finished Mafia 2 and Gemini Rue (not really noir games but whatevs) and I still feel like playing that sort of stuff. So basically I'm looking for games that have stuff like a bleak atmosphere, dark cities, rain, guns and plenty of plot. That probably isn't the definition of noir but I don't know what else to call it. Sad stuff. Things progressively getting worse and bad endings.

This might be too old for you, but have you tried Flashback? It's noir in the future, with lots of . . . Well that's the thing, it's a game with lots of story to it, and you don't want it spoiling. But noir. I can't think of many games that ran with that noir theme more. It's very reminiscent of Blade Runner in feel, but a very different story.

It's almost 20 years old, but it's like Monkey Island 1, Pirates and Elite. It's one of those games that kind of defined gaming for a generation and everyone should have played. It's old, but it's an amazing game.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 20, 2011

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

That still looks like it's mostly gun combat, so I dunno. I'll consider it.

Also, can someone recommend me a RTS game with a good 1-player campaign that's accessible to beginners? This is a genre that I've played very little of and have yet to enjoy, but I'm thinking of giving it another shot. I'd prefer something not Warcraft or Starcraft as I played those back when they were current and didn't like them.

Edit: I lied. I liked Populous on SNES, but that was so long ago that it didn't even occur to me until just now that it's an RTS.

You might like Dawn of War 2.

It's an RTS, but it's all about micro, with barely any macro. If you aren't sure of the difference, then DOW2 is what you want.

It's about managing your troops, in the single player never too many at once, upgrading them, getting them into better cover, occupying buildings so your sniper has a better viewpoint, etc. It's not about making sure your mining is at its most efficient, and your build orders are just right. Instead of building tons of buildings, it's more about giving your troops upgrades in the field. I like to think of it as a Battlefield game in RTS mode.

DOW2 also has a real interesting single player campaign, and if you enjoy it expansions to add on that add to that.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 25, 2011

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Albacore posted:

There was a mention of port royal 2 a few pages ago and I wanted to ask. Is there something a little more modern with a similar flavor as that? The top three I came across were either Patrician 4, East India Company, or Dawn of Discovery. All though I might just pick up Dawn of Discovery since I enjoyed the demo and it's pretty cheap now. Though it felt more like a town builder than a trading/production game. Can any one comment on the other two?

Anno 1404 (dawn of discovery) is great.

Also, Port Royal 3 will be released in 2012, which is great news.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates!, Pirates of the Black Cove (I think that's the title?), and an older one called Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas are games you should check out.

Pirates! is awesome, but I have only heard bad things about Pirates of the Black Cove.

Hav you played it, is it actually decent?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Oak Read Erryday posted:

Despite the fairly crappy review in this link, I've heard good things about Puzzle Agent. It's supposed to be Twin Peaks meets Fargo meets...a puzzle game, I guess.

It's awful. A few goons have praised it, but that's because goons worked on it. The game is an ok puzzler, but the humor is not funny, the production values are non-existent, and I take back what I said about it being an ok puzzler, unless you're a child.

Yes, despite it being cheap, I am pissed I spent money on it.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

God Mode posted:

This game is loving awesome, thank you. Gonna start my own kingdom and Joffrey the poo poo out of these peasants.

Warband always makes me think of Game of Thrones. They are making a GoT game de out next year, but it's some RTS nonsense. They should make it exactly like Warband, instead.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Chinook posted:

The map is symmetric, but the classes aren't... you might like Dota 2, or games like it.

Isn't DOTA 2 in closed beta right now? I don't think we should be suggesting games that you have to rely purely on luck to actually be able to get.

vvv I was hoping you would answer with something like "No, it's in beta but anyone can get in now" or something like that. :(

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 5, 2012

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Douche Bag posted:

An easy one, but can someone recommend me some good RPGs from the PS1 era? There's a lot to choose from so I'd like some help narrowing it down.

I have all the FF games.

Skies of Arcadia is outstanding, surprised no-one mentioned this one. It's a classic, but it's amazing how many people haven't played it.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

You should take a look at Into The Breach, too, if you can get over the pixel art.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

Battle brothers, Invisible inc and Into The Breach are all extremely good games. They're each pretty much the best game in their category.

That said, if you haven't played Divinity Original Sin 2 you really consider playing that because it's probably the best game in it's genre as well, the combat is extremely solid.

In my opinion:
- Turn based Games we'll still talk about in 10 years because they're just that good:
-> Divinity Original Sin 2
-> Into the Breach
-> XCOM (2)

I, and a few others, have mentioned Into the Breach as being pretty great.

It is FREE for the next few hours on Epic. Everyone who enjoys turn based games and doesn't already own it, should grab it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

Don't get into E:D. The company running it can't do anything correctly and are incompetent to the point of hilarity. Their most recent patch, earlier in the week, succeeded in fixing exactly nothing it was supposed to. Instead, it broke literally everything they said they were fixing, and then it broke some other, unrelated stuff as well.

I'll agree with the "Don't get into E:D" but for a different reason.

The ship simulator portion is, for the most part, excellent. The flight model, docking, ship interactions, mining, planets, all of it is outstanding.

But there is just no game there. It's been the single largest complaint since release, and they just refuse to put anything in there to compel us to keep playing.