Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.
Can anyone recommend PC games that might scratch the same itch as Don't Starve or They Are Billions?

Ones I've tried and didn't vibe with enough to keep playing:

Stardew Valley
Rimworld
Bear and Breakfast
Clanfolk
Cozy Grove (actually liked this a lot but gently caress was it just too SLOW)
Factorio (really liked it for about 5 minutes then got bored and also it's really ugly to look at)
Terraria
Oxygen Not Included
Papers Please
Sims 4
Minecraft
Total Warhammer
The Long Dark
Animal crossing
Planet Coaster
Cities Skylines (I really hate having to loving make zones for things)
Sim City

Ones I liked:
Frost Punk
The Wild Eight
Command and Conquer series
Starcraft ii (but would rather not play anything against other players coz I'm trying to chill before bed)

Please help me before I go back to DOTA and ruin everything for the Aus server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You might want to check out the Management Games thread, since that goes into a lot of the type of games that you've been trying. Against the Storm is the most RTS-like, with a lot of pressures of running out of food and resources, other big games in that genre you haven't checked out are the Tropico and Anno series. There's also a sequel to Frostpunk coming in July.

More on the Don't Starve side, there's a whole lot of "survive-em-up" games out there, and it doesn't seem like you've tried many, although a lot of them often are more multiplayer-focused. Subnautica's a very good single player one. Maybe Palworld? That has a whole weird cross between survival and setting up a weird pokemon colony. Maybe even less on the survival side, there's Dredge, which is a fishing game with Lovecraftian themes.

You sound like you need to play Tunic. Maybe also Lil' Gator Game.

Other big exploration games are Subnautica and Outer Wilds. The biggest living game genre these days echoing old-school exploration are Metroidvanias, which I think Hollow Knight is one of the best out there.

Ahh dammit I forgot to list Against the Storm. I really liked it for awhile but then it just got super samey, though it was only in pre-release though so there might be more stuff to do now, but every area seemed to play the same mostly and just look slightly different with a few different resources.

Dredge is definitely on my list.

Thanks this is great, I'll check out the Management Games thread and these suggestions.

My ideal game would be if The Long Dark was more cozy and pretty instead of creepy.

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.

ninjewtsu posted:

Age of darkness is another studio doing their take on the they are billions game play so probably give that one a look

Oh poo poo I completely forgot I was waiting for this to come out. Thanks!

Hwurmp posted:

The Riftbreaker

Looks good I'll check it out!

cindel fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 17, 2024