Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm looking for a new game to play, perhaps you guys may know a few titles for me.

I'm after something, preferably an RPG, puzzle or point and click adventure game for PC or DS that I can honestly, really get sucked into. The last game that truly managed to totally immerse me and worked as a form of time travel (start playing at 8pm, look at the clock at what you think is an hour later and realise it's 2am) was rather ironically, the Chrono Trigger DS port which was the first time I'd played it. I want to get that feeling like I'm a 12 year old girl again, staying up late to play Link to the Past because it's so fun I don't want to put it down. Well, you get the point.

I don't care about the newest and shiniest games, I will play a text based adventure from 1972 if it's good fun. I just want it to be immersive, fun and most importantly, easy to just pick up and play whenever I feel like it.

I've played Fallout 3 and Oblivion lately (both heavily modded) but I tend not to prefer the first person RPG style, I enjoy the isometric top down views of things like Baldur's Gate 2 (which I still haven't beaten - the first dungeon puts me off every time) the first Neverwinter Nights which I still play from time to time, and Dungeon Siege. I tried to play the Dark Spire but embarrassingly I got stuck at a locked door about five minutes into the game which is a shame because I've heard wonderful things about it.

Any takers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Machismo posted:

And for you, my perscription is:
Arcanum.

A loving bad-rear end magic meets steam-punk RPG. Very cool.

I just looked at this on wikipedia and I am amazed that I have never heard of this before. If this is going to be as good as I think it is, it may just tick all the right boxes for me - thanks!

ColdIronsBound posted:

^^ This mod gets rid of the first dungeon, have fun!

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79

I KNEW something like that must exist but I had no clue where to find it, thanks!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I have, it's a very very cool game and I love the style but it's one of those games where you really can't leave it alone for more than a couple of days (or at least I can't) because by the time you've picked it back up again you've forgotten what you needed to do. My memory sucks.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

quarkman posted:

Thank you for reminding me about this game, I used to play it back in the day, and I can't wait to get my hands on it again.

I'm going to repeat this thanks, got it yesterday and switched it on. Before I knew it, it was 2am. Brilliant game and so much fun, and I adore the steampunk aesthetic.

TheRedEye posted:

I want the guy looking for an adventure game to play The Last Express instead of the also-recommended Hotel Dusk, which is the same game except lovely.

I'm definitely going to check it out, I love the art style and if there's one thing that can instantly draw me into a game regardless of how lovely it is, it's interesting art. I've played far more bad games than I should've just because the artwork intrigued me.

(I'm a girl, by the way)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

okay, a little bit of an odd request but it's a friends birthday pretty soon and he loves terrible games. Like, the worst of the worst. So I decided that as well as getting him a "real" gift, I'll also get him the worst game on Steam. Any suggestions, guys?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So my friend loved his bad game (I got him bad rats and indigo prophecy, so thanks everyone!) but time for me to treat myself. I have fond memories of Frontier Elite 2 but the graphics and UI are getting a little dated and I'd like to play something similar but more modern. Anyone have any suggestions?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Here's a strange request! My computer is out of commission for a week or so and I have an urge to play an RPG. I don't own any consoles and I can't really afford to get a new game for my DS...

So whats left? My phone and my kindle! I have a bunch of kairosoft games but they're not quite what I want. I'd love a nice simple roguelike or rpg that I can just pick up and play with, and I'm willing to pay for an app as long as I don't have to deal with "wait to play, pay to not wait" type stuff. My phone is an android so anything I can install on that would rule. I somehow doubt there are many RPGs on the amazon app store for my kindle, but if there are then I'll give it a shot too!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My girlfriend and I are looking for some fun games! We're seven hours away from each other for most of the time and we like to play videogames together to try to pretend we're not in the hell that is a long distance relationship. We've tried things like Don't Starve Together and we used to be big on Minecraft but we're looking for something a little more cooperative. The main problem is that I don't use guns in videogames so a lot of multiplayer stuff is kind of out.

We've recently been playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes and found that a lot of fun so something along those lines would be nice, where both players have something important to do and they have to work together to play and beat the game! We've played Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator with some friends and we really really enjoyed that as well. I also heard a while ago about a stealth game where one player can see the cameras and the other is on the ground and they have to guide each other through it? I don't remember the name of it or even if its out yet but that sounded right up our alley too!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Are portal guns acceptable? Portal 2 co-op is really good times with a girlfriend. Proper co-operation where you have to talk to each other and form a plan and tell who what to do where.

We've played Portal 2, it was a lot of fun and exactly the kind of thing we love doing! Maybe we should do that again..

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you like RPGs, Divinity: Original Sin just re-released with its Enhanced Edition, and it’s a wonderfully whimsical turn-based RPG that was built from the ground up to provide a great co-op experience. The director even described one of his goals with it as making a traditional, expansive RPG that you could sit down and play with your girlfriend, and in my experience he definitely succeeded.

I've been looking at that game for a while myself, girlfriend isn't as into dense RPGs as I am but maybe I can convince her! We've done Neverwinter Nights 2 before together but uhh.....well if you've ever played that game you'll know that the real end boss is the camera controls.

Keeshhound posted:

Are you thinking of Clandestine? I've been keeping an eye on it too; it's in early access right now and $30 is a little much for me to spend on something like that, but if you decide to go for it let us know how it is.

Clandestine is exactly what I meant, thank you so much! I'm a little too poor to drop £22 on a game we might not end up playing much of but I'll keep my eye on it for sure and see if some good reviews come out!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

If she's a Sims fan, how about Sims Medieval? Its a lot more goal-oriented and gamey than the main Sims games and while it does have a darker sense of humour its still not violent at all! If she's a completionist it'll definitely scratch that itch too because there's so much poo poo to do in your kingdom if you want to unlock everything!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So here's a fun request! I'm learning German lately and I've decided to play games in the language as a form of immersion learning to supplement my studies. I was thinking I'd play through a game in German and translate as I go!

So there's a few factors to keep in mind here! One, I think it'd be better if it was a game I wasn't already hugely familiar with, otherwise I wouldn't be translating anything, just remembering the dialogue from my playthrough of the game. Secondly, it needs to be slow moving enough that I can stop and read through things and spend time translating them and the game won't go ahead without me, so something more slowly paced would be ideal. Thirdly, since I'm only just really starting to learn I'd prefer something with less complex language. I'm practicing every day but I'm not at the stage where I can translate Lovecraft or anything just yet. Natural dialogue/writing would be perfect.

Finally the translation needs to be competent of course. Special bonus if it has voice acting so I lean pronunciations too!

I'll generally play pretty much anything as long as its fun but I really enjoy puzzle games and RPGs. As long as it fits into the criteria above, anything should do but the only stipulation here is please no player characters with guns. Beyond that, go wild!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to work on your vocabulary, get a German copy of Super Scribblenauts or Scribblenauts Unlimited.

This is a really good idea and I already own Super Scribblenauts on steam but never beat it so its perfect, thank you!

Ahundredbux posted:

Here's an odd one for ya'll
I like to play game while I listen to podcasts or watch TV or whatever

How about Settlers 2? The original game came out sometime in the 90s so if the old graphics bother you there's the 10th aniversary edition as well which has updated graphics, mechanics and soundtrack but its a real fun game to play and a real fun game to chill out to as you watch your little mans running around hauling supplies and hunting. You can micromanage if you want but its not necessary at all and you can easily just respond to stuff as you need to and just idle the rest of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So my 11 year old nephew just got Steam and I want to fill his library with some fun, good games for him to play as a nice little surprise for him when he next boots up his laptop! Its not the best laptop in the world so it can't run anything new and shiny, but he likes building/crafting games like Minecraft and Terraria, and he's into Five Nights at Freddy's as well so I grabbed him Spooky's House of Jumpscares since its free. Is there anything else age-appropriate that'd run on a 5+ year old laptop?