Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Violent J Mascis posted:

Alundra is more of a Zelda clone, a very good one at that, than an RPG.

It's also not very short, but I agree, fantastic game. One of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Zoinker posted:

Can anyone recommend a "life simulator" game, where you follow a character's life from start to finish? I've already tried Real Lives, and while I liked it, I'm hoping for something less abstract.

It's all text base, but have you tried Alter Ego? It's pretty much exactly what you described, and is now available as a browser based game.

http://www.playalterego.com/alterego

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Harkano posted:

Anyone know something where you control some kind of large (space)ship and the vehicles it contains? Any sort Aircraft Carrier or Battlestar Galactica type thing.

Sim/RTS/Action anything really. Like a souped up version of Supreme Commander's level of carrier but much more focused on the one ship. I've played Homeworld (1&2) and Sins of a Solar Empire which have something similar

It's old, but you might consider looking into Alien Legacy, an old Sierra game (1994 I think?)

You control a large seedship with tonnes of resources and need to populate a solar system. You start up a whole bunch of colonies and space stations on the various planets but your seedship is your primary resource bank. You build a bunch of ships that can ferry resources between them all and the like. It's kind of fun, though inevitably the plot kicks in and if you're not prepared you get overrun by some space aliens or something. I'm contemplating doing an LP at some stage.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 7, 2010

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Tiramisu posted:

Are there any games along the lines of X-com/Jagged Alliance 2/Silent Storm worth playing? I've already played Fallout Tactics, didn't care for it. Despite taking a sharp downturn at the end and having some ridiculous bugs, SS is probably closest to what I'm looking for. I liked that every class was useful and it didn't become rifles only, and the destructible environments really opened up approaches. The gun stuff isn't that important to me- I can't tell one pistol from another. I'm just looking for another game that puts emphasis on small squad management and strategy. None of the Japanese tactical RPGs I've played have really given me a similar feeling, though the Fire Emblem series is probably closest.

Did you ever try the Commandos series? I didn't but I had a friend who obsessed over them and described it as similar to the JA series.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Rollersnake posted:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together—there's a really excellent-looking remake coming out for PSP soon

If I was to play the this (the original, not the remake) without having played any other Tactics Ogre games, would I be missing out on much?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Pikey posted:

I'm looking for a fun tactical RPG/strategy game, preferably turn based so I can play it while chilling in front of the tv on my laptop. It doesn't have to be full on RPG but I would like some kind of character progression be it through gear or ability. The one thing i don't want to deal with is a miles deep obscure combat system or having to play for 5 hours before my guys can hit somebody at 10 paces. I tried to get into jagged alliance 2 with 1.13 which I enjoyed, but by the time i really got a handle on the game's systems I had died and replayed the opening few towns so much i was just burnt out. Any ideas?

If you're into SRPGs, and don't mind playing something a bit old, you might want to look at one of the Langrisser games. Langrisser 2 or Der Langrisser both have translation patches going around the net and are surprisingly enjoyable old SRPG games with plenty of RPG elements, and have somewhat more strategy/tactics involved than the likes of Shining Force. The main different feature in the games is that you have your main heroes who can kick rear end, but they also command a whole bunch of troops who are stronger (and progressively so as you level up) if they stay within the hero's command radius. If the hero is taken out, his/her troops all rout.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Ymel posted:

I would like a recommendation for a strategy game (real time or turn based) which focuses on the economic, management and building/expansion side of things rather than combat (no combat would be pretty good but I can tolerate a little).

For reference I am the type of guy who can play Civ IV 20 times on an archipelago setting to avoid coming to contact/going to war with other civs. I tried Tropico lately but it was entirely too easy in that you only had some problems in the very early game and after that you had a pretty much free reign to do as you pleased and it posed no challenge. You would have to consciously cripple your game by making the 'evil' choices to get any problems and even then the money flow you generate in the game could probably take care of that. Furthermore, I would prefer something a bit more complicated, but without it being a straight spreadsheet experience.

I don't mind scale (empire or city building or merchant simulation) or age/graphic sophistication (but not something pixelated or spreadsheet like as I said please) as long as it's sufficiently challenging.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Might be going for the obvious choice here, but have you tried the Settlers games? Settlers 2 and 3 were both good and combat was practically superfluous, the real meat of the game was trying to get your colonies to be self-sufficient and move resources amongst each other. I think a remake of Settlers 2 was released a short while ago with updated graphics and stuff.

I'm pretty sure you can choose to keep playing after wiping out your enemies too and just continue to expand your colonies.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I have a real soft spot for games where part/all of the mechanics involve ticking off a bunch of objectives or finding a set of items, particularly when you know in advance how many there are (ie so many per level, or it tells you how many when you enter the level). I also love it when there are some standard ones and then some harder ones that you probably need to return to later to find/finish off. On the other hand, it really irritates me when there is no minimap to track where you've been so far, or no way to know how many items/objectives there are or which loose areas they are in. I also don't like it when you need to get them all in one perfect run for them to count.

Obviously Metroidvanias lend themselves to this mechanic, but I'm happy for suggestions from any genre, although my favourites are puzzle games, platformers, and JRPGs.

Some games employing this mechanic that I've played and loved in recent years:

The Talos Principle - Each puzzle has one sigil, but then there are a number of hidden star sigils to come back and find. Each level tells you how many there are.
Iconoclasts - Puzzle platformer which also has item collection for upgrades. Each area gives you an item collected percentage, and the minimap will always tell you if an uncollected item is in a room you've previously visited.
Celeste - Collect all the strawberries, crystal hearts, cassette tapes, etc. You know exactly how many are in each level.
The Witness - In addition to the standard puzzles, there are the environmental puzzles which are explicitly listed on the monoliths and are always in the vicinity of the monolith.
CrossCode - Sidequests are all listed explicitly in each town, the world map tells you exactly how many chests are still unopened in each area, and eventually you can buy a chest finder item that beeps if you enter a screen with a chest.

Even games like the New Super Mario Bros franchise scratched this itch for a while, and going back nearly two decades, I had a great time with Dr Lunatic: Supreme with Cheese where each level had a certain number of brains and candles, each world had a set number of secret items, and then you had a percentage counter for all 70+ worlds. Something about making a whole heap of numbers go up to 100% one success at a time is really satisfying.

Really appreciate any suggestions! PC games please.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 7, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm unfortunately deeply terrible at 3D platformers :(

deep dish peat moss posted:

Try the demo for Tactical Nexus.

It's a dangerously addictive game for the right kind of gamerbrain and probably something that everyone without that type of gamerbrain would hate. You have to deal with some janky translation, but it is That: The Game. I can't even begin to do it justice with an explanation but every level is cleverly designed in a way where there's a buttload of objectives and you're trying to develop the most efficient route through the levels and enemies to check them all off the list - you get metaprogression upgrades from each completed level and those upgrades allow you to go back to previous levels with a stronger start, which then in turn reveals to you that there's exponentially more content in each level, in such a way that every level you complete adds a ton of new content to every other level and :psyduck:

The DLC structure looks weird at first because the prices are strange and go up with every new DLC but that's because each DLC not only adds new content of its own, but it further expands the content of every single other level from the base game and from every other DLC you own, it's wild. The devs are insane visionaries (the game is written in an old BASIC-derived language called Hot Soup Processor which is used to teach elementary school students how to program in Japan) and their vision includes the DLC eventually reaching a point where it costs $100+ each. But the DLC is not at all required, you will simply but it like an addict as soon as you complete the main game (which will probably take months if not years) :hmmyes:

The demo has an absolutely ludicrous amount of content IIRC and I definitely recommend starting with it, because it's a very niche game that's hard to recommend as a blind purchase. But if it's your kind of jam, it is Digital Crack.

I played the demo and it seems fun, kind of gives me nostalgia for Desktop Dungeons. But I have to admit, the whole "the full game will cost hundreds of dollars and constitute 10,000 hours of gameplay also buy it now because we're going to raise the price every few months!!!" spiel on Steam is pretty intimidating :stare: I don't get much time to play games these days, which is part of why I like the lots of objectives mechanic - I can play for thirty minutes, cross off one or two more of them and feel like I've made some progress. I have to really like a game to put more than, say, 50 hours into it.

Still, I've wishlisted it and will look into it if it goes on sale!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 7, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Absolutely personal taste isn't it. I actually quite liked The Stanley Parable but then found The Beginner's Guide to be unbearably smug and self-satisfied and couldn't finish it. Wish I could work out exactly what the deciding factor is for me lol because it's certainly not a conscious thing

I played The Beginner's Guide completely blind a couple of months ago, and I'm still trying to work out why anybody liked it. I loved Undertale, I loved The Stanley Parable, but I just don't "get" The Beginner's Guide. It's not really a game, it doesn't seem particularly meaningful, it's not funny, it's not quotable, it's not enjoyable to play, it's not very clever. It had one fairly predictable twist which isn't that interesting anyway. I feel like I've missed something with it because people seem to adore it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

chainchompz posted:

Undertale pissed me off when I tried to beat it as a pacifist for my first run and then the game pretty much tells you that you weren't supposed to play like that your first run and it locks you out of beating it as a pacifist.

I may be missing something, but this doesn't happen I think? The first time you "beat" it you can't get the true pacifist ending, but as long as you haven't gained any XP to that point, you can then just load your last savegame from before you beat it and follow the heavily-signposted "I wonder what Alphys is doing?" clue to continue the true pacifist run.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 27, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's Superliminal. It messes with your mind in a more traditional sense in that it's the puzzle mechanic itself that's mind-bending rather than some sort of twist or reveal. It's vaguely similar to Antichamber in this regard, but it's much more, I don't know, user friendly and playable I guess?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049410/Superliminal/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256803623/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1602530552

I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I did, it's one of those unique experiences that could only be done through a videogame, no other medium would be able to do this.

e: It's probably too short for buying it at full price though

Agreed that it's probably not worth buying at full price but it regularly goes 50% off and is definitely worth it for that price. I had a great time with Superliminal and there are heaps of opportunities to explore for secrets and try to abuse the game mechanics to get out of bounds (which is usually anticipated), ala The Talos Principle.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

ilmucche posted:

haven't played either. i'm looking for exploration/metroidwhatever type games. just got through haak, played islets/hollow knight etc. I like the exploration and powering up side of things but can't really hack really tough combat like hollow knight/salt and sanctuary anymore.

I did really like blasphemous though and the combat in that one felt pretty tough

Maybe Alwa's legacy for like 4 quid?

Alwa's Legacy is great fun, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Knytt Underground which was previously mentioned also feels great to explore and is pretty huge.

A few others that may fit your interests beyond those already recommended here:

The Messenger - more on the Castlevania side than Metroid, but it just feels good/tight to play. Starts off as a "run to the right" type of game but eventually turns into more of an exploration game.

Catmaze - Surprisingly fun game with heaps to explore. Combat can be a bit janky at times but it's not too bad.

Ghost 1.0 - More about exploration and powering up your weapons than a true Metroidvania but good fun.

Rabi-Ribi - If you can overlook the awkward anime fan-service nature of the game this is a great exploration game with light Metroidvania elements. Boss fights are mostly bullet hell fights, but there is an in-game option to turn the difficulty down to near-trivial levels if you like. There's a whole heap of DLCs which add extra content if you like it, too.

Iconoclasts - Probably more of an action/puzzle RPG but has some light Metroidvania elements. The story is fine, if a bit all over the place (you can really tell the game was made over a seven-year period) but exploring and finding all the various powerups feels great. Combat is a bit difficult but it comes with an easy mode.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 3, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Reo posted:

I really need a fun, single-player time waster. I have a lot of spare brain cycles while I monitor readouts, wait for alarms or processes to finish, sit on conference calls where I never speak, or listen to podcasts. I love games where the physics feel responsive, the controls are simple but satisfying to master, and that encourage playing over and over. Because I'm always playing on mute, sound can't be required, so no rhythm games or the like.

Here's a list of some stuff I've played and enjoyed that worked for this purpose, but I've gotten tired of:

-Rocket League. This has by far the most hours (an obscene amount) I've ever spent on a video game because of this use case. However, with the toxic community and the influx of bots, I had to leave the game behind.
-Dead Cells. A fully amazing game that I still go back to once in a while, but I now get bored of pretty quickly because I've done it all.
-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Unfortunately, I don't usually care for mining / farming / crafting games like Minecraft or Stardew Valley.

Thanks!

What about Penarium? There's a demo to see if it clicks with you.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

malnourish posted:

Any games with intriguing sequence breaking, discovery or secrets, or where you get the vaguely eerie "you're not supposed to be here" vibe?

I'm thinking games like Outer Wilds, Portal, or even Stanley Parable.

You have most likely already played it, but The Talos Principal is excellent for this. Zillions of little hidden secrets, some of which let you collect a set of special tokens, while others are just there for fun. Half of the time the way to find them is to abuse the physics model in the game and end up out of bounds, or taking items into places they're not meant to be. This does also let you sequence-break some puzzles.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any Puzzle Quest-like games out there these days? i.e. games where you do combat or other core game concepts via match-3 or other puzzle games. I know the OG Puzzle Quest is on Steam, and I've played its disappointing sequel too. What else is there?

Not sure if it's any good or not, but Flowstone Saga is due out later this year and seems to be along these lines, except Tetris-inspired rather than match-3. There's a demo available on Steam.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 21, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Moon Slayer posted:

I recently lucked into a job where I get to spend a lot of the sitting alone at a desk with nobody bothering me (afternoon/evening shift security guard at corporate office) and I need something to pass the time. My boss has said that he doesn't care if I'm on my laptop as long as it's not super obvious I'm playing a game and it can quickly and easily be set aside the moment someone comes up to the desk, so any game needs to be something that I can easily set down and then pick up again in a few minutes; nothing real time or with QTEs or the like, and something I can play with the sound off or very low.

Also my laptop isn't particularly strong: it can run Stardew Valley okay but Rimworld was too much, although that might be because of the 150 mods. Currently I've been doing Fallout Shelter to pass some of the time, but it's designed for 15-20 minute sessions every 24 hours unless you want to do micro-transactions. I saw the replies to Aye Doc's post above and will definitely be checking some of those games out, too!

Somewhat left field suggestion, but Dicey Dungeons should work on pretty much any machine, doesn't require sound to play, can be picked up and put down at any moment, and is also super fun.

It also regularly goes on sale on Steam.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

anilEhilated posted:

Looking for a game that can be easily played in a small window and paused whenever necessary, as something for my hands to do while watching a TV show (yes, I probably have some sort of ADHD). Nothing that'd make me think too hard. Previous games that fit the bill: Vampire Survivors, Binding of Isaac, Project Warlock, the Quell games, Defender's Quest, Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2 (come to think of it, any good tower defense games came out lately?), Downwell, Mini Metro and Motorways...

There's definitely been more so I'm mostly looking for newer games.

Since you mentioned Defender's Quest, it seems the sequel might actually come out soon after spending a decade in development limbo. The Steam page has recently updated its release date to "2023".

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

woke kaczynski posted:

I'd heartily second Siralim Ultimate, and if you're not allergic to 2D platforming Monster Sanctuary along similar lines.

I'll second Monster Sanctuary, I really enjoyed it and it definitely fits the remit.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Jack Trades posted:

Recommendations for good and/or interesting nonogram/picross games on PC?

PictoQuest is pretty good.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

loose-fish posted:

Having just finished Blasphemous 2 I'm looking for something else along the lines of
  • Blasphemous 1/2
  • Hollow Knight
  • The Messenger
  • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
  • Celeste (White Palace was a breeze after this one...)
As you can see, combat and Metroidvania aspects are optional.

Some games I've tried that didn't hit the spot:
  • Shovel Knight: made me realize I don't like platfomers that emphasize momentum
  • Dead Cells: good game, but not having designed levels makes the platforming boring
  • Foregone: very meh, also badly done fake pixel graphics
  • Sundered: made a better impression that Foregone but still meh
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: got pretty far in this one but the combat was just too tedious

Here are some games I've enjoyed in the Metroidvania/puzzle platformer/exploration vein, excluding the ones already mentioned (obviously Super Meat Boy is fantastic and should be played, ditto with VVVVVV)

A Pixel Story - I've always carried a torch for this game even though nobody seemed to actually play it when it came out. Bright and colourful and fun to look at with heaps of charm. It has the "start off in 8-bit graphics, progress through the generations" gimmick that a million games have since done, but was still fairly novel at the time. It's a puzzle platformer in the "die over and over until you succeed" mould, and has some extremely difficult challenge rooms. The game encourages you to be completionist and has heaps of extra bits and pieces to collect. It is slightly janky to control until you get used to it.

Ghost 1.0 - More of an action/exploration game, you infiltrate a space station and blast your way through, upgrading your weapons etc as you go. The interesting mechanic here is that you can possess enemies at any time, using them to take out their allies or otherwise assist you. It has a simple but fun story as well.

Catmaze - Metroidvania which is fairly heavy on the exploration side of things, but comes together quite nicely. There are some pretty challenging boss fights in it. The setting is fairly unique, based on Slavic mythology.

Escape Goat and Escape Goat 2 - Puzzle platformers in the Celeste mould where you expect to die a bunch of times until you finally succeed. Escape Goat 2 in particular has a bunch of secrets which are really cool to find.

Knytt Underground - The gold standard in terms of just having a massive, atmospheric world to explore and fill out the map, along with light puzzle elements. No combat to speak of but you do need to avoid some monsters. The story is kind of dumb, but it mostly just stays out of the way and lets you explore. The game seems like it's going to be really short since it has three "chapters" and you can complete the first two in around an hour, but the third chapter is where the game actually starts for real.

Alwa's Legacy - Puzzle platformer with light Metroidvania elements, very pretty to look at and heaps of secrets to find.

Timespinner - Solid Metroidvania with pretty good combat. Has a few elements that remind me of The Messenger in terms of being able to visit the same areas in two different time periods and actions in one can affect the other. The story/dialogue gets a bit painful at times.

If you're interested in games which are less Metroidvanias or puzzle platformers, and more story-driven 2D action platformers with a focus on exploration and collecting upgrades, I can strongly recommend Iconoclasts and Cave Story, and to a lesser extent, Phaoroh Rebirth and Owlboy.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 9, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Hwurmp posted:

CrossCode might also work

Seconding this, it's a wonderful game and has a great exploration aspect.

It also has fantastic puzzles, but if they're not your thing it has adjustable difficulty sliders.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

CrossCode is a beautiful cozy game, the combat is maybe slightly on the busy side and is real time, but I'm sure it has loads of speed/difficulty sliders to make it all more sedate

CrossCode is more of an action RPG than a JRPG, but I still recommend it to anybody. It's an absolutely wonderful game, one of my favourites of all time.

Cosmic Star Heroine which was recommended earlier is also great. The combat is not FF7-level "just hit attack against every random encounter and then use your most powerful spells against the boss" simplistic, but it's not super complex either. Most of all, the game is just fun to play.

For something slightly different, Evoland 2 is surprising fun to play. It's not a JRPG as much as it's an "every RPG-adjacent genre squeezed into one" game. The original Evoland was really more of a gimmick game than anything else but Evoland 2 is actually a proper game and pretty tight.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 14, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/709920/Tametsi/

Tametsi is an excellent Minesweeper game, and has the "gimmick" that you never need to guess. You may need to check ahead a number of steps, but there is always guaranteed to be at least one uncovered square that you can conclude with certainty has no mine under it. The game comes equipped with a pretty nice "draw on the level" feature you can use to test out various choices and conclude that, hey, whichever way I choose this square over here ends up without a mine under it or whatever. The levels are not all just grids, they come with various shapes and sizes, and the level will specify whether the numbers include diagonals or not. It's very nicely done.

It is pretty drat difficult, though. It took me around 200 hours to complete all 160 levels legitimately. If she's looking for something more casual, I'll second the recommendation for the Hexcells series.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 17, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The Looker is a fun parody of The Witness but it's not really an actual game. I always find it strange when people recommend someone play that instead of The Witness. Still, hearing that Blow hates it does make me like it a bit more...

The Witness and The Talos Principle are both excellent games that scratch a similar "solve puzzles in a beautiful environment that actively encourages exploring" itch and both are heads and shoulders above any other game of their ilk.

There are loads of cheap knockoffs but none are very satisfying. I recently played through Puzzle Park which is like a styrofoam knockoff of The Witness and I'm not even sure why I bothered to finish it.

As a side suggestion, Superliminal is a bit of fun. It's more of a Portal-like than a Witness clone but I had loads of fun trying to constantly find ways to get out of bounds and explore dark corners of the roof, which the game often rewards you for doing.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 11, 2024

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Paperhouse posted:

looking for a game/games to listen to music/podcasts to. My go to game for this is Pro Evolution Soccer but I've played it to death at this point. What I liked about it for this purpose though:

no story
no important audio in the game
good gameplay and replayability
decent progression (I liked playing manager mode, buying/selling players and improving the squad and stuff)
simple enough that I could pay attention to the music/podcast while playing

I guess the obvious answer is other sports games, but I don't like most other sports that much

Bit of an outside recommendation here, but I have spent far too many hours of my life playing Dicey Dungeons while listening to podcasts.

There is story but it's minimal and unimportant. The game has great music but you can turn it off and just keep the sound effects (which is what I do). It's super fun and very replayable, and it does have gentle progression. It's essentially a roguelite, but instead of your character getting stronger with repeated plays, you just unlock newer/more difficult/more interesting levels. There are six characters and six levels each plus a hard mode, plus a few free DLC levels, so there is plenty to get your teeth into. Some excellent fan mods as well.

It goes on special pretty often so maybe hold out for that.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 6, 2024

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Looking for a game (preferably an RPG / Action RPG of some flavor, but I'm willing to entertain other suggestions) that really rewards exploration - I guess something like the Souls games that kinda captures that old-school SNES era of game exploration where you might stumble across some really cool optional area or a strong piece of equipment that you wouldn't find by just blitzing through the game. I'm playing through FF7 Rebirth right now and while I'm enjoying it a lot overall, one thing that is kinda disappointing is that the game basically just drops all the important upgrades right in front of you in extremely obvious, specially colored chests that you have to actively go out of your way to miss, so you never get that feeling of finding a briefly overpowered weapon or some hidden gear that will make the next boss fight easier.

Is there anything else out there that might scratch this itch? I've gone through most of the obvious stuff (Souls games, Skyrim, BG3).

CrossCode is a 2D Action RPG with heavy puzzle and exploration elements, where the latter is strongly encouraged and rewarded. It's also just a wonderful game in its own right.

It's 70% off on Steam at the moment, or you can get the Complete Edition (which includes the post-game storyline DLC) which I assume is also on sale.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Franchescanado posted:

Weird request, but what's a good game that's easy to pick up and play and then pause/stop immediately? Basically, what's a game I can play on Steam at work when it's slow and the boss isn't looking?

Vampire Survivors is still kinda the king for me. I can get in and play a session very quickly, a full session is only 30 minutes, and I can pause it anytime I need. Same with Binding of Isaac.

Open to many genres. I like turn-based games, sims, city builders/management, RPGs, puzzles, platformers, survivor-likes, roguelikes/roguelites; really anything. FPSs or things that require a lot of attention (or a controller) is probably out.

I've made this recommendation several times now, but Dicey Dungeons is perfect for this. Can stop and start on a whim, is completely turn-based, auto-saves before every fight in case you need to suddenly quit, can be played with the sound off without any issues. Play sessions tend to last anywhere from 20-40 minutes. And it's also super fun.

It's listed as a rougelite deckbuilder, but that's not really accurate. You do build a "deck" (really just gathering/upgrading equipment) during a play session, but nothing persists between play sessions, so you're not building up a starter deck or getting stronger through repeated play. Instead, whenever you beat a level you unlock a new level which will have a slightly different set of rules or conditions. The levels are surprisingly varied and strategies that work in one level often won't work in the next level, so it's lots of fun experimenting. Between the main game and the free DLCs there is more than 50 levels and multiple characters with completely different play styles.

It goes on sale all the time on Steam, often at 75% off, so perhaps wait for that if you're on the fence.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 24, 2024