Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

do tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What is this retirement benefits and lower paycheck deductions you speak of

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ok, first off:

The time you spent in P,C, minus training I think, should automatically have been factored in to your seniority for the purpose of annual leave calculations. So as a brand new fed who completed 27 months of peace corps, you already have two years of seniority. This is big because at the three year mark you get a bump from 4 to 6 hours of leave per pay period. I haven't heard of RPCVs having problems with this part, but it's worth double checking your SF50 to see if they correctly backdated your "leave calculation" date.

Second, you can buy back the time you were in PC (excepting training, so post swearing in) for your pension. We didn't have pension contributions deducted from our PC pay, but you can retroactively pay it and get those two years credited towards your retirement. The cool part is that you only contribute a small percentage of your salary, which in our case was basically nothing. I only had to pay back less than $200 or something. This means you could potentially retire two years earlier or with a higher pay out. Since the pension is calculated using your highest three years of earnings (usually the end of your federal career), the super small contributions from PC won't disadvantage you. It's best to buy the time back sooner rather than later because they give you a two year window or something where you don't have to pay extra interest. After that, they can tack on a little bit. I forget the name of the form to use, but your HR would know. It's the same process that post-military people follow to buy back their military time for the pension.

Third, and most complicated, you MAY be overpaying for your pension because you were mistakenly placed into the wrong FERS retirement/pension category. This is most likely the case if you started the PC at any point before 2014. The percentage of your pay you contribute to get the pension used to be 0.8% (FERS). In 2013, congress upped it to 3.1% (FERS-RAE). In 2014, they upped it again to 4.4% (FERS-FRAE). These are higher deductions for the SAME pension, because they were trying to make it more solvent. The catch, however, is that the higher deductions only applied to people newly hired by the feds after 2013 and 2014, respecively...

In other words: If you were in the Peace Corps BEFORE 2013, then you should only be paying 0.8% towards your pension. If you were in the PC between 2013 and 2014, then you should only be paying 3.1%. This is an issue for any RPCV hired by the feds after 2013.

I started PC in 2013 but was hired by the feds after 2014, so I was default contributing 4.4%. I contacted HR with this info and they'd never even heard of this issue. They eventually got me changed to FERS-RAE (3.1%), but it took a year. I did get paid back for approximately two years of over payments.

My friends who started PC in 2012 or earlier got the big boost, because the difference is 3.6% of your pay. I only got 1.3%, but I'm still happy to have it. you get this straightened out, its' a pay raise for the rest of your career.

My agency's HR made me buy back the time for the pension before they made the change. However, some RPCVs in other agencies didn't have to do it, but you should definitely buy back the time regardless. If you're in a more "RPCV friendly" agency they may already know about this issue and save you some time.

Here's a guide to the changed FERS benefits: https://www.fedsmith.com/2014/04/07/fers-fers-rae-fers-frae-what-does-all-this-mean/

I have some official text regarding how the laws apply to RPCVs if anyone gives you a hard time.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 24, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That would be a great thing to put in the OP, or saved somewhere at least.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Trump's proposed budget cuts include a $12 million cut to Peace Corps' total budget.

Just a few weeks ago, my facebook feed was filled with furious PCVs who've had to change plans or rebrand their camps following Trump's impromptu execution of Michelle Obama's Let Girls Learn Program.

Any thoughts from current or returned PCVs?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

The LGL program wasn't removed, it had its status changed in terms of funding. It will continue in Ukraine.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A quick look at this LGL program and it looks like complete poo poo, the usual 'help women be women' crap that lost hilary the election. Nobody is buying this bullshit anymore, you want to help people learn then call it an education program but the minute you start bringing gender into it you're going to lose. Is this like so many of the programs in the 90s and early 2000s trying to help women into STEM fields before reality actually chimed in with most women don't want to pursue STEM fields even if they have all the opportunity to?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:shittypop: Um, I don't, uh...what?

edit: ah. Based on other posts, an alt-right troll.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 31, 2017

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Thank you australian and man's man Tony for your valuable contribution to the Peace Corps thread. Your quick look once again cuts to the heart of the issue, exposing the flaws in our program. Truly, now we can tell these 10-year-old girls that they really don't need to be learning to read anyways, have you seen this post by a guy who likes really fast cars?

Finally, we are set free.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Someone tell Malala that maybe girls just don't want to go to Elementary School.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Is there any way to find out if openings in certain countries will be happening in the future? I'm specifically looking at agriculture spots in Zambia.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

There are spots open in many Africa countries, but not Zambia. I can't tell if they are phasing it out? Or if it is just a popular place.

I should have applied in 2016 when there were openings. Darn.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Togo is pretty good, from what the guys there told me when they visited Benin for vacation.

And Ghana is apparently the peace corp wunderkind that can't do anything wrong :shrug:

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
I won't do the full crosspost from Gov thread, but a plethora of positions for next fall should (???) be available starting tomorrow including a hopefully healthy sized Ukraine TEFL contingent.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Which Gov thread?

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

N. Senada posted:

Which Gov thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324421&pagenumber=120#lastpost

Also, Fall 2018 open as of this AM! Some good stuff on there, Kyrgyzstan is back, Indonesia, lots of Ukraine as I expected.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

nurabsal posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324421&pagenumber=120#lastpost

Also, Fall 2018 open as of this AM! Some good stuff on there, Kyrgyzstan is back, Indonesia, lots of Ukraine as I expected.

Thanks! So it will be 6 months until the 2019 spots are open?

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I don't know very much about the admission process this is my first time through.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Kyrgyzstan and Ukraine sound too cold. also, no beaches ??

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Odessa

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hear its a blast.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

I hear its a blast.

Buck up, you can do your Half Life 2 cosplay there.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Thesaurus posted:

Before yesterday, it was in the 90's like all week here

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh, fyi, I've posted in this thread in the past but I got an e-mail saying they had no position for me. So yes, you can actually be rejected if you're a skilless goon.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Oh, fyi, I've posted in this thread in the past but I got an e-mail saying they had no position for me. So yes, you can actually be rejected if you're a skilless goon.

That sucks, do you have any ESL experience?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

I got that one before after they evacuated my country of destination (Jordan) and now I'm serving. Do some volunteering, get some more civic engagement or education experience under your belt and apply again. They'll appreciate your dedication.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
And of you jokers serving in Tonga?

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

Invited to Ukraine 2018. I wish Masters International still existed, but I am still happy to take the opportunity.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Congrats!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Thesaurus posted:

In other words: If you were in the Peace Corps BEFORE 2013, then you should only be paying 0.8% towards your pension. If you were in the PC between 2013 and 2014, then you should only be paying 3.1%. This is an issue for any RPCV hired by the feds after 2013.

Thanks! Going to email my HR rep tomorrow!

grenada fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 4, 2017

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

nurabsal posted:

Invited to Ukraine 2018. I wish Masters International still existed, but I am still happy to take the opportunity.

Welcome to the club!

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Welcome to the club!

Nice! Where did you serve?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

nurabsal posted:

SNI and myself are both currently serving in Ukraine. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

nurabsal posted:

In the land of bograch and cholent! They are yummy soups here in the west!

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Hi i read the first page, and this one. Are the runs avoidable?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I hope you like holes

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Hi i read the first page, and this one. Are the runs avoidable?

How many capri suns and cans of vienna sausage can you fit into your suitcase?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

nurabsal posted:

How many capri suns and cans of vienna sausage can you fit into your suitcase?

No, I Don't Want Diarrhea

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I was fed a lot of Vienna sausages at site. I got the runs a lot. Causation? You decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

No, I Don't Want Diarrhea

This is my latrine. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My latrine is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. Without my latrine, I am useless.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 20, 2017

• Locked thread